Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 11:35:21 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
How does one expect those skinny little tires to grip the road in a turn?

I guess you can't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does one expect those skinny little tires to grip the road in a turn?

I guess you can't.
View Quote

Dude, they have shark fins:

Someone definitely went outside his traction circle.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a road cyclist.  Show some care for us, we are husbands, fathers, wives, mothers and children just like everyone else.  We almost all have cars, pay taxes and enjoy the privilege of the road like everyone else.  Be nice everyone.  
Oh and I own, shoot and hunt with AR weapons.  So, interests can vary.

That guy over cooked that corner, had bad form by not planting his outside pedal and digging in like a downhill snow skier.  Furthermore his triathlon bike set up totally sucks for anything that has hills as part of it.  From his look, he is very young, and lack of leg muscle would indicate to me pretty new to sport (plus his legs are hairy).  I would venture to guess he is inexperienced.  His front wheel washed out on that hot tar covered patch.  He felt that wreck for weeks.  

From the technical side.  The tires have a very soft compound.  Also the traction is a factor of the pounds per square centimeter of the contact patch with the road.  The patch on each tire is about the size of your thumb print and tires are pumped to about 100 PSI,  so in essence you have a better coefficient of friction (more grip) than most cars.  I can go down many mountain roads much faster than most car/drivers feel comfortable following.  Motorcycles of course can keep up and go faster.  Tread on road bike tires is just a sales gimmick and has no bearing on the traction of the tire.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am a road cyclist.  Show some care for us, we are husbands, fathers, wives, mothers and children just like everyone else.  We almost all have cars, pay taxes and enjoy the privilege of the road like everyone else.  Be nice.

That guy over cooked that corner, had bad form by not planting his outside pedal and digging in like a downhill snow skier.  Furthermore his triathlon bike set up totally sucks for anything that has hills as part of it.  

View Quote

I have several broken ribs, road rash scars that still fart out glass and rocks FOUR YEARS LATER, and a broken neck.

Fuck road cycling. Cars are getting bigger and drivers are getting dumberer and more distracted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Tritard.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ouch.  Probably less ouch than becoming a hood ornament, though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tritard.

View Quote

They do seem to have about the worst bike handing skills of any cycling group - in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I laughed. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
If this was some closed course event I feel bad for the dude. If its just a bunch if these fuckers that have stopped traffic while this dude sees how fast he can go..fuck that. Glad he surfed the asphalt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tritard.

View Quote

This.

The aero bars are a dead giveaway to shitty bike handling skills.

Off to hide...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That guy in the TL Type S was on the ball.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am a road cyclist. Show some care for us, we are husbands, fathers, wives, mothers and children just like everyone else.  We almost all have cars, pay taxes and enjoy the privilege of the road like everyone else.  Be nice everyone.  

That guy over cooked that corner, had bad form by not planting his outside pedal and digging in like a downhill snow skier.  Furthermore his triathlon bike set up totally sucks for anything that has hills as part of it.  From his look, he is very young, and lack of leg muscle would indicate to me pretty new to sport (plus his legs are hairy).  I would venture to guess he is inexperienced.  His front wheel washed out on that hot tar covered patch.  He felt that wreck for weeks.  

From the technical side.  The tires have a very soft compound.  Also the traction is a factor of the pounds per square centimeter of the contact patch with the road.  The patch on each tire is about the size of your thumb print and tires are pumped to about 100 PSI,  so in essence you have a better coefficient of friction (more grip) than most cars.  I can go down many mountain roads much faster than most car/drivers feel comfortable following.  Motorcycles of course can keep up and go faster.  Tread on road bike tires is just a sales gimmick and has no bearing on the traction of the tire.
View Quote

Almost every fucking cyclist I've run into has no regard for anyone but themselves and their d-bag friends, blowing through lights, signs, spilling over into travel lanes from the bike lane because they want to ride 3 or 4 wide, etc. Fuck all most of those guys.

Corrected myself because I do recognize that there are some cyclists that aren't d-bags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am a road cyclist.  Show some care for us, we are husbands, fathers, wives, mothers and children just like everyone else.  We almost all have cars, pay taxes and enjoy the privilege of the road like everyone else.  Be nice everyone.  

View Quote

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

Off to hide...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tritard.

This.

Off to hide...

Evidence bears it out:

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunate that the open terrain let him [the driver] see through the turn.

With all of the trees and foliage around here, I don't think things would have turned out so well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

Hardcore cyclists often shave their legs...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
He hit a light patch of dirt on that corner.

Good luck with that on a road bike with low rolling resistance tread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

Don't tell me it's an aerodynamic thing. 'Cause I'll laugh at you if you do.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh look, another cyclist thread.  Let me make some predictions.

1)  Cyclists will not give a single inch.  They will never admit that there are some situations that they'd be better off not inserting themselves into.  "It's their right."

2)  People who drive cars and have had to deal with the type of cyclist in #1 will try really hard to play nice, but the cyclists will hold that hard line no matter what.

3)  The same problems will be present afterwards, but people will be pissed off about it.

4)  The lesson:  it doesn't make any difference to try to show/tell/explain/suggest that if a road is 3 (narrow, barely enough for a car) lanes in each direction and filled with traffic day or night...that it might be a very poor decision to go ride your bike in rush hour traffic, or that riding two abreast is not legal (or polite).  So why bother.  They are still going to do it because they just can't stand even giving an inch in the logical actions department.

5)  One lock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Tritards: [mute volume]

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Ah, triathlon. Gotcha.

So those bars are specifically for that now (I haven't been on a bike since I was a teenager and discovered bikes with a throttle)? When I was a kid, all ten-speed bikes had those bars.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They do seem to have about the worst bike handing skills of any cycling group - in my experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tritard.

I ride a tri bike (and road) and agree. Good for going straight and fast. Not so great for the hills, windy roads or group rides.

I used to ride almost the same exact bike in the video. Looks to be a Felt S32, an entry level tri bike.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
HAHA.jpeg
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuckin pussy.

I slid out on my road bike one day and had 3x more area than him in rash and rode the 25 miles home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL.  Dude, this is GD.  

You have no constitutional right to be on the road because bicycles are not listed in the Bill of Rights.  Fact.  Brodozers, however, are part and parcel with firearms, therefore explicitly covered by 2nd Amendment protection, and since they have to swerve around you, your lycra ass is infringing upon SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!  Rolling coal on you is simply a defense against your tyrannical infringements on their rights.

SIC SEMPER LYCRA !

Yeah, those patches are frightening.  I can feel my motorcycle tires get squirrelly on those things, and am always leery of a subsequent high-side if I'm putting good power to the rear wheel.  I can only imagine those tar patches are more "adventurous" with the more limited contact patch of a road bicycle.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I done it...rub some dirt on it and ride on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tritard.

View Quote

Yup. Don't be lumping roadies in with those squirrely fuckers.  Dumbass wasn't even going fast.

Dude was a newb trying to impress and riding way over his head.  Nearly ruined the day of the folks driving up hill.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... wut?

And what's a tritard?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Hair_Improves_Performance_4255.html

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Crossed the center line.  Ate up newb.

Crossing the center line is a certain DQ in real road cycling.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fuckin pussy.

I slid out on my road bike one day and had 3x more area than him in rash and rode the 25 miles home.
View Quote

"My lower body hurts."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top