BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Driving with a suspended or revoked license.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is 'Aggravated Unlicensed Operation'?  

Serious question:  What make it aggravated, instead of just plain old unlicensed?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
#5: Admit guilt so it can be used against you...

How surprising...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Serious question:  What make it aggravated, instead of just plain old unlicensed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only wrote plain unlicensed for people who never had one and didn't have unpaid past tickets, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We only wrote plain unlicensed for people who never had one and didn't have unpaid past tickets, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. Traffic stops carry results and arrests, whether GD believes it or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy making that many contacts a day should be stumbling across something that would mandate an arrest or 2.
Wonder what his arrest stats are like.  Probably low.

Not necessarily true.

Wrong. He is a ticket writer, does nothing else.

I was a ticket writer in a traffic unit who wrote more tickets than the officer in the OP and I made plenty of arrests.

Sixty some-odd tickets in a day don't leave any time for anything else.  Most were probably bullshit.  You scratch out (or TRACS)
the summons and move on to the next victim.  Your not talking to them, getting any feel for criminal behavior, not even really
eye balling the car.  It's just "license, registration and insurance, please"  "Here's your summons, see ya" and move onto the next stat.
We have guys like that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I made less arrests once I left traffic and went to regular patrol.
View Quote

If I didn't do traffic I'd have almost zero arrests.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I did what the Officer said I did I usually just admit to it. People (mostly young) think there is going to be a Perry Mason style trial over you doing a California stop at a stop sign. I am just polite and say "you got me". I wasn't paying attention and "hey beautiful day today isn't it ". I just talk polite and treat them with respect. I have a clean record and don't drive like an asshole. I almost always get a warning and in the rare case I don't I go to trial, plead guilty and the judge drops the points and I pay the fine.

If it were a murder case I would keep silent and hire an attorney. For a simple traffic violation you would be surprised how just being a normal polite person gets you. I don't play the rolled up window games or all the other bullshit people do and rarely have any issue. I also don't get pulled over often because I drive sensibly (maybe once every few years). I don't sweat traffic stops and just talk to them normally and I am honest. Truth gets you out of more simple traffic violations than anything else. My .02
View Quote
Yup.  Polite and respectful has gotten me out of every single traffic stop except for 3... all of which were in NY.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]

An old, wise, old school sergeant once said to me...99% of people going to or committing a crime are doing so by vehicle. Know and love your vehicle code.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude cranks out twenty tickets a day, that's one serious prick. Sheriff departments usually don't give a shit about quotas either
View Quote

I write 5 or so per month....the boss here likes us to focus on violence and property crime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sixty some-odd tickets in a day don't leave any time for anything else.  Most were probably bullshit.  You scratch out (or TRACS)
the summons and move on to the next victim.  Your not talking to them, getting any feel for criminal behavior, not even really
eye balling the car.  It's just "license, registration and insurance, please"  "Here's your summons, see ya" and move onto the next stat.
We have guys like that.
View Quote

Ok good for you. I don't claim or know a lot of guys making 60 citations a day. But those of us high tier guys are looking and making arrests...but ya know...we're just making dat revenue...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is he racking up OT by going to court on these?
View Quote

I sure hope so. That's probably doubling his paycheck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
GD is the same group that wants the Police to stop a driver observing the speed limit, and book him, because he  did not pull to the right to let a driver pass him at 30 over. That's OK, but lay off the redlight runners, School Bus passers, and general nitwits who drive with their knee, so they can eat, jerk off, read a book, put on make up, take selfies, or update their facebook page. They all have the right to endanger everyone else due to their selfishness. Right?  Tint your windshield 15%, paint your headlight, and taillight covers black. It's OK, victimless crime, right? Except that its like driving with sunglasses on at night or when its raining, and makes your headlights/taillights harder to pick up and judge distance at night or in the rain.
The traffic code exists for many reasons, and believe it or not, it's not for revenue collection. If you have an intersection where there are a lot of  collisions due to running redlights. You send traffic guys out to reduce that. Same with roads that have a high incidence of speed related crashes. Notice I don't say accidents, because most crashes are due to one or sometimes both drivers violating simple rules of the road. That's not an accident.
And in my experience, most traffic guys could give a shit less about revenue. It never enters their mind. And that's why they give reductions in speed to almost everyone, so that they get no points, and no insurance rate hikes. I worked traffic on a Motor for many years. People almost expect a ticket from a Motor officer, when they get stopped. But we did reductions on 80% or more of our speed cases, and wrote way more warnings than you can imagine. A working Motor could make 60 or more contacts a day depending on where and what kind of traffic complaint area he was working.
You have no idea what kind of stupid shit a working traffic guy sees, and hears. I'll bet very few have seen the end result of a lot of that stupidity either.
Join your local traffic investigator as he helps to pick up whats left of a pedestrian, or goes to a Mom and Dad to tell them sonny won't be coming home because they bought him a Trans Am for his 16th, and he just hit a subdivision sign at a high and aggravated rate of speed, killing himself and three of his buddies.
Yeah, those traffic cops got nothing better to do than enforce silly laws that should not apply to the denizens of GD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Agreed, but the problem isn't admitting or not talking, it's lying. Example: guy drives the same route every day for years, gets caught going around traffic in the shoulder, then tells the cop (who sees him drive by all the time) that he didn't know that wasn't a lane those are the type of people that get hammered with tickets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 and 6.
Well they do write "made admission" at the bottom of some tickets so depending on the scenario admitting something just fucks you later. Really I would say for most people just politely take the ticket and go a get a lawyer to get rid of it. I talk my way out of tickets all the time but most people probably just dig their hole deeper  

Not only do they write things like made admission but they will put down what you said so if you go to court and try to say you weren't speeding, they can read back your quote about why you were in a hurry.

Either tell the truth and hope he lets you off or keep your mouth shut and try to fight it in court, but don't expect to do both.

Agreed, but the problem isn't admitting or not talking, it's lying. Example: guy drives the same route every day for years, gets caught going around traffic in the shoulder, then tells the cop (who sees him drive by all the time) that he didn't know that wasn't a lane those are the type of people that get hammered with tickets.

That is correct, don't lie.  Truth or keep quiet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I averaged around 1500-1600 in traffic and a guy working with me averaged over 2,000 a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The traffic ticket king, who has been with the sheriff's office for 33 years, issued 1,353 traffic tickets from 2013-2014

1,353?
That's it?

Yeah, I know a dude that makes that guy look like a lightweight.

I averaged around 1500-1600 in traffic and a guy working with me averaged over 2,000 a year.

We've got a solution for your type of revenue agent with a badge:

Dateline Missouri: - Traffic fines may soon make up a smaller part of general revenue in cities across Missouri.

The Missouri Senate Committee on Jobs, Economic Development and Local Government heard testimony recently regarding a bill involving the amount of revenue that can be generated by traffic tickets and court costs.

That bill would reduce the threshold for the general operating revenue coming from traffic fines for cities, towns, villages, or counties from 30% to 10%.

The bill's sponsor, committee chairman Eric Schmitt, said speed traps and unnecessary tickets shouldn't fund a majority of a city's budget.

"Senate Bill 5 would help end these abusive traffic ticket schemes that are little more than ATMs for bloated big government budgets"

When the city/municipality/county stops directly benefiting from the $$ that fines generate, the coppers all of a sudden lose interest in writing nuisance tickets. I hope legislation like this comes to Georgia soon
!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I write 5 or so per month....the boss here likes us to focus on violence and property crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude cranks out twenty tickets a day, that's one serious prick. Sheriff departments usually don't give a shit about quotas either

+1 here.
True "Protect & Serve" crime prevention instead of revenue generation
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When the city/municipality/county stops directly benefiting from the $$ that fines generate, the coppers all of a sudden lose interest in writing nuisance tickets. I hope legislation like this comes to Georgia soon!  
View Quote

Me too, I moved here from NY after I retired.
Besides, I wrote tickets for steady Mon-Fri hours with weekends and holidays off, not because of the revenue brought in from tickets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was that just a result of fewer 'contacts'?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More time spent handling bs calls. Plus way less traffic stops because the ticket quota for patrol was way less and didn't require only traffic tickets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dateline Missouri: - Traffic fines may soon make up a smaller part of general revenue in cities across Missouri.

The Missouri Senate Committee on Jobs, Economic Development and Local Government heard testimony recently regarding a bill involving the amount of revenue that can be generated by traffic tickets and court costs.

That bill would reduce the threshold for the general operating revenue coming from traffic fines for cities, towns, villages, or counties from 30% to 10%.

The bill's sponsor, committee chairman Eric Schmitt, said speed traps and unnecessary tickets shouldn't fund a majority of a city's budget.

"Senate Bill 5 would help end these abusive traffic ticket schemes that are little more than ATMs for bloated big government budgets"

When the city/municipality/county stops directly benefiting from the $$ that fines generate, the coppers all of a sudden lose interest in writing nuisance tickets. I hope legislation like this comes to Georgia soon
!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The traffic ticket king, who has been with the sheriff's office for 33 years, issued 1,353 traffic tickets from 2013-2014

1,353?
That's it?

!  

Didn't even know about this.  This state keeps getting better and freer by the day.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A guy making that many contacts a day should be stumbling across something that would mandate an arrest or 2.
View Quote

A small town around here has a old man who writes tickets all day on the interstate... city down the road busted a trafficker with one of his tickets he just wrote earlier. Never ran the names or anything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Give him some reflection days for that hard work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
GD is the same group that wants the Police to stop a driver observing the speed limit, and book him, because he  did not pull to the right to let a driver pass him at 30 over. That's OK, but lay off the redlight runners, School Bus passers, and general nitwits who drive with their knee, so they can eat, jerk off, read a book, put on make up, take selfies, or update their facebook page. They all have the right to endanger everyone else due to their selfishness. Right?  Tint your windshield 15%, paint your headlight, and taillight covers black. It's OK, victimless crime, right? Except that its like driving with sunglasses on at night or when its raining, and makes your headlights/taillights harder to pick up and judge distance at night or in the rain.
The traffic code exists for many reasons, and believe it or not, it's not for revenue collection. If you have an intersection where there are a lot of  collisions due to running redlights. You send traffic guys out to reduce that. Same with roads that have a high incidence of speed related crashes. Notice I don't say accidents, because most crashes are due to one or sometimes both drivers violating simple rules of the road. That's not an accident.
And in my experience, most traffic guys could give a shit less about revenue. It never enters their mind. And that's why they give reductions in speed to almost everyone, so that they get no points, and no insurance rate hikes. I worked traffic on a Motor for many years. People almost expect a ticket from a Motor officer, when they get stopped. But we did reductions on 80% or more of our speed cases, and wrote way more warnings than you can imagine. A working Motor could make 60 or more contacts a day depending on where and what kind of traffic complaint area he was working.
You have no idea what kind of stupid shit a working traffic guy sees, and hears. I'll bet very few have seen the end result of a lot of that stupidity either.
Join your local traffic investigator as he helps to pick up whats left of a pedestrian, or goes to a Mom and Dad to tell them sonny won't be coming home because they bought him a Trans Am for his 16th, and he just hit a subdivision sign at a high and aggravated rate of speed, killing himself and three of his buddies.
Yeah, those traffic cops got nothing better to do than enforce silly laws that should not apply to the denizens of GD.
View Quote

REALLY, REALLY, BULLSHIT!!

After the Ferguson Missouri, mess died down, investigations made it quite apparent that too many municipalities were going out of their way to inflate the number of traffic cops on the road to increase the revenue generation.  It was sooo bad prior to Ferguson, that the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported at one point that a Missouri DOT engineer caught cops manipulating a traffic signal to catch people in an unexpected red light!

Focusing only on traffic stops also made for poor policing.  For years, the STL Post-Dispatch was reporting what they termed as the "municipal shuffle" wherein bad cops would be asked to leave one municipality only to show up in another, usually showing the same bad conduct. And these bad cops were usually first onto the streets with radar/laser and aggravated confrontations with the citizens.

Did you hear of Officer “Go Fuck Yourself,” St. Ann, Missouri Police Lieutenant Ray Albers? Albers came to prominence after he pointed his rifle at protesters, at least one of whom was a local credentialed news reporter, in Ferguson on the night of August 19, yelling, “I will fucking kill you.” When the protesters asked for his name and he declined to provide it, instead saying “Go fuck yourself,” they decided to just call him that. Well, I'm here to tell you that Go Fuck Yourself, Lt Ray Albers was a BIG traffic ticket writer involved in the notorious St. Ann speed trap on Hwy 70.
And Albers had a confrontational attitude with motorists well before the Ferguson incident

In conclusion, it is our experience here that traffic agents in uniform are usually the dregs of law enforcement in the depertment, and all too often, are themselves one step ahead of an internal affairs investigation or lawsuit.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A small town around here has a old man who writes tickets all day on the interstate... city down the road busted a trafficker with one of his tickets he just wrote earlier. Never ran the names or anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason our PD made driving with a suspended license a "must arrest" is because cops kept writing guy tickets when they should have been arrested and letting them drive away. The final straw was when one wiped out a family crossing the street and they saw he had been stopped dozens of times and never arrested. Guys still let people go for it though. Most cops without MDTs rarely (if ever) ran the names of people stopped. When our MDT was down we would write hundreds of motorists without running them during the month or so it would take to get it repaired.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why not just have the police search everyone's home any time there is a small violation as well.  Lots of arrests can be made that way too.  Trash in the yard, get your house searched.  Grass too tall, get your house searched.  Didn't shovel your snow fast enough, get your house searched.  Leave your herby by the curb too long, get your house searched. That seems to be the type of heavy handed police presence you support.  While we are at it start making the citizens show their papers and pick up the can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

In 27 years of living in NY I was pulled over by a sheriffs deputy once and it was to tell me to put a front plate on and to tell me if I want to drive cars that draw attention I would be sure to get it but didn't write me any tickets. I honestly don't even know what the sheriffs dept does in NY besides issues pistol permits.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

After the Ferguson Missouri, mess died down, investigations made it quite apparent that too many municipalities were going out of their way to inflate the number of traffic cops on the road to increase the revenue generation.  It was sooo bad prior to Ferguson, that the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported at one point that a Missouri DOT engineer caught cops manipulating a traffic signal to catch people in an unexpected red light!

Focusing only on traffic stops also made for poor policing.  For years, the STL Post-Dispatch was reporting what they termed as the "municipal shuffle" wherein bad cops would be asked to leave one municipality only to show up in another, usually showing the same bad conduct. And these bad cops were usually first onto the streets with radar/laser and aggravated confrontations with the citizens.

Did you hear of Officer “Go Fuck Yourself,” St. Ann, Missouri Police Lieutenant Ray Albers? Albers came to prominence after he pointed his rifle at protesters, at least one of whom was a local credentialed news reporter, in Ferguson on the night of August 19, yelling, “I will fucking kill you.” When the protesters asked for his name and he declined to provide it, instead saying “Go fuck yourself,” they decided to just call him that. Well, I'm here to tell you that Go Fuck Yourself, Lt Ray Albers was a BIG traffic ticket writer involved in the notorious St. Ann speed trap on Hwy 70.
And Albers had a confrontational attitude with motorists well before the Ferguson incident

In conclusion, it is our experience here that traffic agents in uniform are usually the dregs of law enforcement in the depertment, and all too often, are themselves one step ahead of an internal affairs investigation or lawsuit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty broad brush you've got there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plus the Sheriff is elected.

He would be right pissed if the electorate said 'FU and your deputies!  Meet your replacement!'

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Sheriff is elected.
View Quote

This. No doubt though that people have been bitching for traffic enforcement, well they got it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Their whole what deeper?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.
Well they do write "made admission" at the bottom of some tickets so depending on the scenario admitting something just fucks you later. Really I would say for most people just politely take the ticket and go a get a lawyer to get rid of it. I talk my way out of tickets all the time but most people probably just dig their whole deeper  
Their whole what deeper?

Grammar nazi'd Aimless.

Another lifer gone. RIP Dilbert.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if he puts his money where his mouth is and is a 100% law abiding driver?

Quoted:
# 5 -Be honest: Some officers like to hear an interesting story for why someone is committing a traffic violation. Quigley is not one. He doesn't like when people try to lie to him, and he tends to have more sympathy for people when they tell the truth. "Everybody makes mistakes," he said.

That's funny, he wasn't letting anyone off either way.
View Quote

But, does he let off duty cops that get pulled over off the hook,or does he write them up?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
3. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

It's all about public safety, I've been told that here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

Or rather more police more traffic.  Unless there's a good reason police stops during high traffic flow times should be conspiracy to commit economic  sabotage.  No joke people always rubber neck the fuck out of flashing lights and no doubt 100 if not thousands of people are later to their destination.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]

When I moved to Baltimore County in 1987, Officer Bob Speed was fucking legendary. You couldn't throw a stick without hitting at least two people he'd ticketed
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Coming to a theater near you.

The Sheriff of Nottingham 2015
  -----the reckoning----

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I wonder what his overtime looks like for three years in a retirement....I mean a row.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Most Deputy's could write 20 tickets if wanted. Most don't, around here anyway.
He's a prick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a prick.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wonder what his overtime looks like for three years in a retirement....I mean a row.
View Quote

I saw it. It said: Bahamas

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Compare the population and population densities of NYC and Onondaga County and get back to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,353?
That's it?

Compare the population and population densities of NYC and Onondaga County and get back to me.

There's cops who work in more sparsely populated areas than the cop in the OP who write thousands more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He's a prick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a prick.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#45]

1. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

View Quote

*cough*

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

*cough*
Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
  1. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

*cough*
Bullshit.

I got a kick out of that too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Fucking retire all ready. Your brain washed sir.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#48]
If he's writing dozens of tickets a day, think he has any time to do real police work?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If he's writing dozens of tickets a day, think he has any time to do real police work?
View Quote

Is he assigned to patrol or strictly traffic?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Their whole what deeper?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.
Well they do write "made admission" at the bottom of some tickets so depending on the scenario admitting something just fucks you later. Really I would say for most people just politely take the ticket and go a get a lawyer to get rid of it. I talk my way out of tickets all the time but most people probably just dig their whole deeper  
Their whole what deeper?

Busted!!!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top