Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/3/2015 8:29:04 AM EDT
AUG would be a 3x M1, and the Tavor would be a flat top.
Tavors seem to be going up in price, and AUGs down.
Gunwatcher prices on the Tavor seem to have gone up $50 - $100 in the last few weeks.
Also, what places would you recommend to order from?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Neither.

Wait for Desert Tech to release their MDR this year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Had both, only have the tavor now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Bullpups suck. That said having owned both the AUG is what I'd choose. lower sight over bore, better magazine system, faster barrel swap, if any of that matters to you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Good guns either way, really it is personal preference as to which feels better. I like the AUG better so I bought an M1 with the 1.5X optic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've held both and like the feel of the AUG better. Plus... their mags are really, really durable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullpups suck. That said having owned both the AUG is what I'd choose. lower sight over bore, better magazine system, faster barrel swap, if any of that matters to you.
View Quote

I've been told they suck many times.
I've owned AR's, AK's, etc, and the most fun gun I've had was a shitty Walther G22 bullpup.
It will be a fun gun, not a SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had both, still own all my AUGs, get the AUG.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had the cash to buy one or the other, I'd choose the Aug.

Just because I've always kind of wanted one since years ago.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Tavor +geissele trigger
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neither.

View Quote

While that looks sweet as fuck... I bet its going to be spendy as fuck too! Probably can buy both the tavor and aug for the price of that MDR

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought the Aug and love it. Clean, beautiful lines. A legendary rifle on it's own.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While that looks sweet as fuck... I bet its going to be spendy as fuck too! Probably can buy both the tavor and aug for the price of that MDR

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.

Yep.
Their stuff is high dollar.
That bullpup bolt action precision rifle is around $4500.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
AUG.

Austrians don't manufacture anything half assed.

The design hasn't really changed in 36 years, aside from a couple of receiver modifications for strength and the rails. They got it right the first time.  

The Tavor, while certainly not bad, has already been replaced by the IDF. The side rails all seem to be metal screwed into plastic, wobbly and cheap feeling.

I don't mind buying expensive quality, I do mind buying expensive 'cool factor'.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#15]
For looks and ease of taking pmags the Tavor wins for me

But the Aug and the 42 round mags and proven track record make it a solid choice.

I hate that the Tavor trigger is pretty much a necessary replacement and a good one is about $300

Hard choice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hard choice.
View Quote

Not a hard choice.  No choice at all, in fact: AUG.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I had the cash to buy one or the other, I'd choose the Aug.

Just because I've always kind of wanted one since years ago.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hard choice.

Absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Had both, sold the tavor.

Don't believe the hype.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I had both and I sold the Michael Kors.

Don't believe the hype and get the Louis Vuitton.

We are talking about purses right?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Own both, like both.

Would keep the Tavor if I had to choose.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
AUG
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Had both, sold the tavor.

Don't believe the hype.
View Quote

Shot both. Had the opportunity to buy either. Chose the Tavor. Have shot an AUG many times since (my shooting partner has one), and never regreted my purchase in the slightest. I'd buy a second Tavor before I bought an AUG. The AUG is just as much hype as the Tavor is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Another thing to add is that I don't have AR mags, so I'll be starting from the ground up.
The mags the gun uses is not an important thing to me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I have both and would take the Tavor over the Aug.  In fact getting rid of the Aug since I don't shoot it...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Tavor and a Geissele trigger
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite weapon is my Tavor, with the 9mm conversion, I am shooting dirt cheap ammo.  Great ergonomics.  Love it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.

Not to mention an unproven design.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Another thing to add is that I don't have AR mags, so I'll be starting from the ground up.

View Quote
If you get the AUG you will soon find out there are fewer resellers for AUG mags and are more expensive.

That being said, during the sad years, AUG mags were stupidly expensive.  At least you could have found AR mags in the $30 range.

I'll go on a limb here and say BOTH rifles are good rifles.  The difference comes down to splitting hairs.  Most of the pro AUG points brought up as a plus are totally inconsequential issues.

Comes down to personal preferences and intended use.  I will say if you go with the AUG, get the A3.

TO me he mag issue is what I look at.  Yes the AUG mag is well built piece, far better than the OLD USGI and some other AR crap brands I will never buy.  But there are far more AR mag suppliers that make just as good mag as the stock AUG mags for far less.  And besides, mags is supposed to be an expendable item.  If we are going into a "mag" measuring contest, or start swinging "mags" at each other, (mag comparo) I'd put an HK mag against an AUG mag any day and lets see how'd they do.

I've owned both, I have a Tavor now.  If given a choice between my "issued" M4 and an AUG, I'd take the AUG back again (should give you a clue who I work for).  At least I got a few free mags from that.  If my agency gave me a choice between the Tavor and AUG, I would take the Tavor for the simple issue of I like the mag release better and I don't care the forward grip handle.  To me both stock triggers suck on them, just one suck less.  These come down to my subjective preferences only and the rest is splitting hairs.

Another caveat, is counterfeit AUG mags.  Become an expert.  If it's too cheap and shop location is... online and cannot not really determined.  Or that one table at the gun shows loaded with mags and nothing but Asians selling, yeah. I would pass.  This also applies to any other mags, Pmags and Glock mags specifically.

If you get an AUG, buy all the mags you need NOW.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Tavor. Starting from the ground up isn't really an issue, AR mags are cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Tavor.   Easy enough.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Tavor
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Tavor, absolutely yes right now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You say that now, wait till you have to buy them (cost and availability - depending on where you live).

The neat thing is you can get AUGs that take AR magazines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say that now, wait till you have to buy them (cost and availability - depending on where you live).

The neat thing is you can get AUGs that take AR magazines.

Yes, but you lose features by using one of the stocks that takes AR mags,
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy something that isn't an awkwardpup
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
AUG ... Choose the one with a proven track record.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I have both, slight nod to the Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had both.  Kept the Tavor, sold the Aug.  Neither can replace an AR15 for me though, so it's about having fun shooting.  While the Aug is a cool gun I didn't enjoy it as much, mainly due to the trigger but I also didn't like the forward grip.  Just personal preference really, both are great guns in their own ways.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
AUG ... Choose the one with a proven track record.
View Quote

The Tavor's been in military use worldwide for quite awhile, and has been fielded in multiple wars. It's pretty proven.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Tavor +geissele trigger
View Quote
THIS.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, since my taste in guns changes from day to day, year to year, whatever, I am notorious about selling off my "just had to have it" guns, and buying something else.
Which of the two would be easiest to sell and get most of my money back?
What about customer service?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also, since my taste in guns changes from day to day, year to year, whatever, I am notorious about selling off my "just had to have it" guns, and buying something else.
Which of the two would be easiest to sell and get most of my money back?
What about customer service?
View Quote

IWI has fantastic customer service, and Tavors are selling well right now as you pointed out at the start of the thread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I wanted a Tavor as soon as I saw an article about them in 1999-2000 time frame.   I got a tan one as soon as they were available and I love it!  Some people complain about the trigger, but it hasn't been an issue for me. I have an Aimpoint Pro mounted on mine and it is my go to travel rifle. I've always wanted an AUG too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top