Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 8:00:51 AM EDT
I'm not exactly sure what technical forum this should go into, so I'm throwing it into GD....god help me...

Is it legal to build an SBR from an 80% lower and have someone else do the engraving? i.e., you buy an 80% lower, send in the paperwork to the ATF, get your stamp, and then get someone else to add the name/city/serial to the lower?

I know it's common for SBRs to use 3rd party professional engravers, but with the ATF bitching about "help" or even "loaning tools" to guys doing 80% builds, it seems kind of a gray area.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not exactly sure what technical forum this should go into, so I'm throwing it into GD....god help me...

Is it legal to build an SBR from an 80% lower and have someone else do the engraving? i.e., you buy an 80% lower, send in the paperwork to the ATF, get your stamp, and then get someone else to add the name/city/serial to the lower?

I know it's common for SBRs to use 3rd party professional engravers, but with the ATF bitching about "help" or even "loaning tools" to guys doing 80% builds, it seems kind of a gray area.
View Quote

The markings have nothing to do with "finishing" the firearm (what the ATF got their panties in a bunch about), plenty of people on this site have sent their 80%s off to be engraved with various things, from sculls to trust info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Why go to the trouble of building an 80 percent lower off the radar just to put it back on the radar
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why go to the trouble of building an 80 percent lower off the radar just to put it back on the radar
View Quote

Custom markings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Custom markings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Custom markings.

Model:FBHO
S/N:855

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Custom markings.

Oh that is suddenly so tempting...

But yeah, I was just thinking customer markings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top