Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:19 AM EDT
Suppose you are living rent free with cable, internet, and utilities already paid for.  A friend had to move and wants someone to watch his house, keep up with maintenance, keep pipes from freezing, security, etc and in return he lets you live there for free.

About how much of your take home pay would you like to save after deducting gas, car insurance, cell phone bill, food and beer, etc.  Assume your debt is zero.

This is what I stumbled across and received my first paycheck last week.  Before this morning I was going to save as much as possible while buying cool stuff when I felt like it (not saving much).  This morning I thought about coming up with a strict budget and saving as much as possible.  what would you do

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Zero, because you then spend it on spinners, an escalade and hair weaves.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Poll fail. What's your gross income?  A guy making $20K a year still would only be able to save a small portion....$250K per year and you could save 90%.

BL is that you should be able to save exactly what you were saving before this opportunity excepting you should also be able to save those monies that you would have spent on the items you mentioned; rent, cable, etc...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I save about 30% right now with all those bills.    

I'm guessing anyone who asks that question does not save shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I was actually recently in this exact situation when I got sent to Canada for work.  All of my expenses were covered.  I saved about 55% of my take home pay.  I should have saved more, but I bought a lot of guns and climbing gear.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#5]
After all NEEDS are covered (food, shelter (rent/power/water), the rest is in the "wants" pile.

50% gets saved:
50% of that in tangibles (ammo, gold, machine tools)
The other 50% in cash or cash equivalents.

Its a good system.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Debt free, sounds like most ARFCOM basement dwellers and that their mother is happy they finally left the basement and got a job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zero, because you then spend it on spinners guns , an escalade ammo and hair weaves magazines.

View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Save half.

Enjoy the other half.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on your age, income and what you already have saved.  If you're young you'll gain the most from saving all you can.  Compound interest over a long time frame in the stock market equals a huge return on what you save.  Investigate that, you'll think twice before buying stuff you don't need.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#10]
If I could live for free, I could bank 75% of my take home, and still live comfortably.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
In a similar situation I'd be looking at saving 80% or more. However, that really doesn't apply because you're not me.

You need to sit down and evaluate your goals and lifestyle. There are all kinds of resources online like that Mr. Mustache guy or the earlyretirementextreme.com site that deal with saving a significant amount of your income. You need to decide how far down that rabbit hole you're willing to go. Speaking for myself, I live a fairly austere lifestyle and I find it very rewarding.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd do 75%

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Poll fail. What's your gross income?  A guy making $20K a year still would only be able to save a small portion....$250K per year and you could save 90%.

BL is that you should be able to save exactly what you were saving before this opportunity excepting you should also be able to save those monies that you would have spent on the items you mentioned; rent, cable, etc...
View Quote

That's why the poll is in percentages, I know it's not perfect and understand what you're saying.  I live in a high cost of living area and by not paying rent I can save a butt load, rent expense equals 40-50 percent for most around here.  

I've never budgeted before and just throw a bunch into a retirement account and blow the rest.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's tough to save when you're paying almost 50 percent in rent.  I throw a lot of pretax dollars into a retirement account and have a few grand in a brokerage account.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's why the poll is in percentages, I know it's not perfect and understand what you're saying.  I live in a high cost of living area and by not paying rent I can save a butt load, rent expense equals 40-50 percent for most around here.  

I've never budgeted before and just throw a bunch into a retirement account and blow the rest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't trying to bust your balls....so you should be able to comfortably ave 40-50% more than you currently are. The key is to do just that. Something I learned early on was to live below your means.

Reward yourself with some ammo or something but then budget to save the rest.

When I bought my last home the mortgage was about 18% of my gross. By the time I paid it off the payment was under 5% due to significant salary increases.  Those monies saved weren't used to dramactically change our life style but rather they were saved and invested. Now at 56 I could comfortably retire. The problem that I'm having is that I'm having too much fun and they pay way too much money to quit. I have slowed down though still working, on average 20 hours a week.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
86%

current saving rate is

67% which all goes to the morgage
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Pretty much debt-free. Two checks a month, and one I direct deposit into savings, and live on the other one comfortably (unless I blow it on guns and stuff).
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Save whatever you would have spent on rent, et cetera.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I assume You want to own a home one day, maybe not.  Take whatever you were paying for all of those things and split it into different savings pools.  Not knowing how many months you have saved up to live on cash, what pools you put things in Depends a lot on what you have already.  Impulse control today, have fun tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#20]
How old are you?

I have lived rent free all my life and I haven't saved shit.  

DON'T be an idiot like me.  

If I saved 50% of what I made all these years....I could pay cash for a house
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Easily 75%.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't live like you are homeless but save as much as possible. You won't always be living rent free, you won't always have that job, and you will eventually buy a house, have a family, and have an emergency. The more you bank now, the better off you are later. Whatever you do, avoid debt like the plague. If you are able to save enough now you may be able to buy your next car, or your house, without a loan or with a much smaller loan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This morning I thought about coming up with a strict budget and saving as much as possible.  What would you do?
View Quote

Come up with a strict budget, and save as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I do... Maybe 35% if you count everything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Simple. Bank what I would normally have paid for said living expenses.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Save whatever you would pay for all the things you are getting for free, that way you will be used to those expenses when he boots your ass out and your lifestyle won't change.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I save a fair amount, 15 percent pretax staright into a retirement account then what I can into a brokerage account.

Rent used to be 39 percent of my take home pay; add utilities, cable/internet, car insurance, cell phone and that almost 46 percent of take home.

The cost of living around here is insane and I think I make decent money.    

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This morning I thought about coming up with a strict budget and saving as much as possible.  What would you do?

Never done it before, never even put together a budget.  

I'm 31, been out of college four years, and been saving for retirement four years.  Which sucks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
At .2% interest you would be losing at minimum 1.8% per year. If we only had a 2% inflation rate like Obama is trying to tell us. The system is rigged against saving right now. Buy 855......
Or put it in the stock market while it's being propped up. Best deal going right now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm addicted to buying shit so not nearly as much as I should but I do manage to save more than most.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm 31, been out of college four years, and been saving for retirement four years.  Which sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like you have a great opportunity. How long will you be able to live there? And how long do you want to work when you are an old man?

Some folks plan on working until they drop dead, others want to retire as early as possible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#32]
It would cost me more in the long term, because where I've been living (renting) for 10 years is all bills paid, safe, and way cheaper than anything else reasonably equivalent. Any move would increase the cost of someplace to live (with utilities, taxes, and internet) by 2x -3x. I'd need to be able to stay in the friend's place for 7-10 years--until my fiancee has her PhD and postdoc(s) and we're ready to leave the city for a professor position someplace else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Everything that went towards those utilities +25%.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#34]
15% of my pay goes to post-tax investments. 6% pre-tax. That is the minimum. Dropping all household expenses would only free up 20% of my take home pay (after savings). So.... 50-75%? I like to live well below my means.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's tough to save when you're paying almost 50 percent in rent.  I throw a lot of pretax dollars into a retirement account and have a few grand in a brokerage account.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well no matter how shitty rent is where you live you should not be paying paying 50% of your income in housing.   That's crazy.  

I'm glad you are saving.   I'm just saying that you might want to make some changes or end up living like most Americans which is paycheck to paycheck.  

So are you going to take your friend up on this offer and try to save money or just check out ARF new toy threads and buy cool toys?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well no matter how shitty rent is where you live you should not be paying paying 50% of your income in housing.   That's crazy.  

I'm glad you are saving.   I'm just saying that you might want to make some changes or end up living like most Americans which is paycheck to paycheck.  

So are you going to take your friend up on this offer and try to save money or just check out ARF new toy threads and buy cool toys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not really, let's say you make minimum wage and just starting out. Now if you make 250k and are spending 10k on housing you need to reevaluate your life.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

might as well be me spending it on that shit
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where I am if you make 50k you will likely be spending about 50% of your income on housing unless you live with a girlfriend or something.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#39]
An easy metric would be to save what your friend's generosity is saving you: rent + utils.   Be nice to yourself, give yourself a tithe. Get rich.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I would save pretty much every dime beyond my expenses.

Somehow I doubt this arrangement will last forever. Live frugally and squirrel every dime away for a down payment on a house and retirement while you can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to get into a bunch of details but most my coworkers pay 1800+ for a nice, fairly new, one bedroom apartment.  My apartment is 600 sq ft, sort of run down, I paid less (not substantially less), and watched them erect these two towers directly in front of me.  People think that location is too far out, which is one of the reasons why I picked it.  Housing costs out here are crazy, especially if you're single.  BTW I make good money for a guy out of college 3.5 years, it's doable out here.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would save pretty much every dime beyond my expenses.

Somehow I doubt this arrangement will last forever. Live frugally and squirrel every dime away for a down payment on a house and retirement while you can.
View Quote

i'm going to go with this because if i don't it is guaranteed at some point in the future i would wish i had
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I did that exactly before I bought my house.

I lived on a houseboat, and my total monthly expenses were $350.  Yes, total.

I saved over 85% of my take-home pay by living in voluntary poverty.  Two years later, I had $100,000.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd probably save 60%.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I live on 50% of my net income at present.  Taking away my overhead would be.....hell i don't know, 90% ALL MINE?  I'm working on free beer and cigars.  Free fuel would be great, as well as free pick-up truck and free steak dinners.  I would be the King of Free Shit
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I did that exactly before I bought my house.

I lived on a houseboat, and my total monthly expenses were $350.  Yes, total.

I saved over 85% of my take-home pay by living in voluntary poverty.  Two years later, I had $100,000.
View Quote

I can do this for as long as I like, it's a family member that has an extra house about an 1.2 hours away (2+ sometimes with traffic), they use slingbox and have cable and internet hooked up free of charge.

I tried figuring out how much I could save over two or three months but damn 2 years, that'd be something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top