Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bullshit.....Even *if* you worked downtown, there are plenty of nice placed under 300K within an hour's drive. Less if you go further out but OP you really need to verify how far from where you'd work to where you'd live. Traffic and commuting here is really bad; worse than DC IMO.

ETA...Sandy Springs/Alpharetta are all nice areas to live and work, I'd avoid going inside the perimeter if you can avoid it. Anything inside 285 is a mess, north you're fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the fact that you are in Martinsburg, why would you want to leave WV?  Other parts of the state are cheap. I have a second home there.

Lack of golf courses,  not a whole lot of work here for upward mobility, ( IT guy here)
I like the state,  but while there are jobs in my field,  i think bigger,  more populous states would have more opportunities

Whats the gnat line?

GA is great, but I would be surprised if you found the kind of jobs you are talking about outside of Atlanta.  And don't be fooled by looking at Atlanta house prices.  They look cheap until you realize that's after factoring in a two hour commute each way.  Realistically, think about $500k starting price for a decent place (about 2,000 sqft) in anywhere worth living and the house was probably built in about 1940.

Bullshit.....Even *if* you worked downtown, there are plenty of nice placed under 300K within an hour's drive. Less if you go further out but OP you really need to verify how far from where you'd work to where you'd live. Traffic and commuting here is really bad; worse than DC IMO.

ETA...Sandy Springs/Alpharetta are all nice areas to live and work, I'd avoid going inside the perimeter if you can avoid it. Anything inside 285 is a mess, north you're fine.

No offense, because I think Atlanta is an awesome city and very underrated.  But I'd have a hard time living outside of Decatur, Virginia Highland, etc., somewhere walking distance to good bars and restaurants.   Yes, liberal, but everything else seems like a giant suburban bedroom community without much personality until you really get far enough outside of the city to make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Where have you found great job opportunities outside of Atlanta (which includes Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Murietta, Smyrna, Dunwoody, etc since it is all basically one big city)? Athens? no. Augusta? no. Columbus? I can't think of anything up north in particular.  Broad brush, as there are one off opportunities, but he said upwardly mobile, which implies to me a whole lot of high paying jobs.
View Quote

Macon, Warner Robins, Savannah, Peachtree City, Kennesaw

BTW, Atlanta does not encompass all of those areas you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, I drink on Sundays, I do pay state income tax, but in Texas I didn't, they just taxed everything else more to make up for it. Gnats don't even really cover half of the state. Sorry for your misunderstandings
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you like gnats, state income tax, and being sober on Sundays? Maybe you should move to Georgia!

I forgot one... Many people don't know that the St. John's River actually flows North because Georgia sucks. It's science.

Well, I drink on Sundays, I do pay state income tax, but in Texas I didn't, they just taxed everything else more to make up for it. Gnats don't even really cover half of the state. Sorry for your misunderstandings

I'll admit that the mountains of N. Georgia are tolerable, but I've still been refused beer on Sunday and also harassed by gnats there. And those damn... I don't know, "sweat bees"? The area around Hellen or Cleveland isn't too bad I guess.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where have you found great job opportunities outside of Atlanta (which includes Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Murietta, Smyrna, Dunwoody, etc since it is all basically one big city)? Athens? no. Augusta? no. Columbus? I can't think of anything up north in particular.  Broad brush, as there are one off opportunities, but he said upwardly mobile, which implies to me a whole lot of high paying jobs.

I've always thought the standard definition of city was useless.  If you walk from one to another with no break between the yards, it's the same thing

Same with Phoenix, Chandler, Tempe, etc

I do think Savannah would be awesome though if there were the right career opportunities
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll admit that the mountains of N. Georgia are tolerable, but I've still been refused beer on Sunday and also harassed by gnats there. And those damn... I don't know, "sweat bees"? The area around Hellen or Cleveland isn't too bad I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you like gnats, state income tax, and being sober on Sundays? Maybe you should move to Georgia!

I forgot one... Many people don't know that the St. John's River actually flows North because Georgia sucks. It's science.

Yeah.  So, we can buy beer on Sunday's.  The state legislature decided to leave it up to the counties.  So it depends on where you live.

That being said, Georgia is full.  It is terrible here.  You would hate it.  The above poster seems to think the commonwealth is a great place.  Move there.  You will love it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
stay away. you will not like all the land we devote to golf courses and gun ranges. it would offend you that guns are practically free and babies open carry. cigar stores abound. women like men. men drive trucks. houses have land around them. you will find it annoying we shoot off the back porch. that liquer stores grow on trees. it will scare your children that you can fly your red white and blue. you will miss the libtard army. our public elementary school still has christmas parties. you will be home sick for public transportation at your front door. the low taxes are depressing. you cannot give away ammo on christmas as no more can possibly fit into the cans. the stars are too bright. it gets so dang hot in the summer people take off all their clothes. the sheriff approves cc way to fast. there are far too many IT jobs in alpharetta and roswell. grenade launchers for $150. suppressors come with every happy meal purchase. short barrelled everything and automatic anything. it's just sick. stay away. go hang out with the texas guy who says we suck.

but if you do move here avoid the cities and spend yer money on land. then invite us all over for bbq and a shootout.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've lived in wv for a few years now (moved for work) and am thinking of looking to live in another state.
Took a look at houses in GA and was blown away at what 250k will buy you there as far as new construction houses.
3~4k sqft,  triple garage, granite, etc.  Same spec house here would be 350k easy. (martinsburg)
So whats the catch?
What is good/bad about this place?

*yes i know htf is an option for this,  but gd gets way more views
View Quote

The only catch is you are not looking far enough North and West.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pooler/Richmond Hill area if you are looking for somewhere coastal.

Both are new and growing communities. Very low crime, very little FSA, lots of jobs available locally...
View Quote

Lived in Pooler for three years.  I second it.  That or Bloomingdale...just far enough but still close enough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah.  So, we can buy beer on Sunday's.  The state legislature decided to leave it up to the counties.  So it depends on where you live.

That being said, Georgia is full.  It is terrible here.  You would hate it.  The above poster seems to think the commonwealth is a great place.  Move there.  You will love it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did I say VA was a great place?? Don't get me wrong, it's not bad here... But the selling point for me was "it's better than DC or Maryland."

I'd live in Northern Wyoming if I didn't need to be here for work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's not really the commute, it's Atlanta.  It's a liberal cesspool in an otherwise great state.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you intend to do for a living here?  I would stay as far away from Atlanta as you can......even the suburbs.  I've lived here all my life but commuting to Atlanta every week for the last 10 years has really jaded me towards the state.  

Is the commute that bad? The drive from here to dc and back is murderous.  Luckily i dont have to do it much,  but is it that bad?
It's not really the commute, it's Atlanta.  It's a liberal cesspool in an otherwise great state.    

Where all of our gun rights still apply.  Atlanta is not as liberal as most cities and its not nearly as bad as most people want to say it is, in the right areas...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sister & BIL live in Cleveland GA.  Been there many times visiting.  I would consider moving there if I didn't need an income.  Job market in that area stinks but the area is nice.  
View Quote

Yeah there won't be any IT jobs in Cleveland....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I grew up about 40 miles south of Macon. Now I live 40 miles north of Macon.
I love south Georgia, gnats and all, with all my heart. (I'm too close to Atlanta now!) I plan on retiring in SWGA.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is the commute that bad? The drive from here to dc and back is murderous.  Luckily i dont have to do it much,  but is it that bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you intend to do for a living here?  I would stay as far away from Atlanta as you can......even the suburbs.  I've lived here all my life but commuting to Atlanta every week for the last 10 years has really jaded me towards the state.  

As you approach the intersection of GA400 and I-285, the traffic suck factor increases exponentially.  Stay as far away from that intersection as possible, and you will probably be okay.  I'm talking 30 miles or more.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've lived all over, (even the crap hole called Texas) and Georgia is where I hope to call home for the rest of my life. Very gun friendly, usually votes (R), has mountains (hills) in the north with a nice winter, and south GA is mostly farmland. There is also the coast, it isn't Florida Gulf Coast nice, but that's close by also. I've never had trouble finding work, and just a few miles outside of all the cities it countryish areas. If I were to live close to ATL, it would for sure be on the north side. Buckhead is a great time, and also Duluth.

Bass, Blue Gill, and Cat fishing is great.
Coastal fishing is above average. Lots of huge redfish and some nice trout.

Deer and turkey hunting are excellent with liberal limits. Waterfowl hunting sucks, and it sucks bad. That's the biggest downside for me here. It looks like you're prior service, several bases that you could find work at, and also the FAA has thousands of employees in GA, and they give big preference to all Vets.

You can speed everywhere you go. The interstates are like raceways. Cops don't really bother you unless you're going 15+ mph over.

Thousands if not millions of acres of public land you can hunt and fish.

The best thing about Georgia, is it has been blessed with Georgia Southern University
View Quote

Skeeter Branch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

GA is great, but I would be surprised if you found the kind of jobs you are talking about outside of Atlanta.  And don't be fooled by looking at Atlanta house prices.  They look cheap until you realize that's after factoring in a two hour commute each way.  Realistically, think about $500k starting price for a decent place (about 2,000 sqft) in anywhere worth living and the house was probably built in about 1940.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the fact that you are in Martinsburg, why would you want to leave WV?  Other parts of the state are cheap. I have a second home there.

Lack of golf courses,  not a whole lot of work here for upward mobility, ( IT guy here)
I like the state,  but while there are jobs in my field,  i think bigger,  more populous states would have more opportunities

Whats the gnat line?

Maybe sarcasm? My parents live in Suwanee, GA in a 5,500 sq ft home worth around 400k. FWIW Suwanee was rated top ten places to live in the US by Money Magazine a couple years ago.

My cousins just bought a beautiful house in a great neighborhood(Kirkwood) for 250k, probably 2k sq feet. And that's 4 miles from downtown Atlanta for those unfamiliar.  

Buford is still cheap in most places, but its 40 miles from ATL.

GA is a great place to live. Personally I live in the hood, its not terrible and my house is cheap, but nice. It depends what stage you are at in your life. I am young and running a small business where my clients are in the city for the most part. I am way closer to the money than someone in Cleveland, GA doing the same thing.

The weekends are when I shoot up to Cleveland/helen / Blue Ridge/ Hiawassee to bring some money to beautiful bumblefuck

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Dirty water ocean fronts as compared to rest of east coast...I didn't mind being down there, everything was slow (as much of south). It would be the last state I chose if I had to move to the south east.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No offense, because I think Atlanta is an awesome city and very underrated.  But I'd have a hard time living outside of Decatur, Virginia Highland, etc., somewhere walking distance to good bars and restaurants.   Yes, liberal, but everything else seems like a giant suburban bedroom community without much personality until you really get far enough outside of the city to make a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats the gnat line?

Social opportunities wasn't part of what the OP was looking at, if bars/clubs/etc are your concern then yes you need to be 'in the city.' I think it's safe to say you're the only one in this thread that gives two shits about that stuff but since we're on this topic, Roswell and Alpharetta have some of this including brew pubs and breweries.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The no liquor sales on Sunday has been gone for years, you can go and buy beer/wine/liquor on Sunday at pkg stores or bars/restaurants.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you like gnats, state income tax, and being sober on Sundays?
View Quote

Huh?
I go to my local liquor store on Sundays all the time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've lived all over, (even the crap hole called Texas) and Georgia is where I hope to call home for the rest of my life. Very gun friendly, usually votes (R), has mountains (hills) in the north with a nice winter, and south GA is mostly farmland. There is also the coast, it isn't Florida Gulf Coast nice, but that's close by also. I've never had trouble finding work, and just a few miles outside of all the cities it countryish areas. If I were to live close to ATL, it would for sure be on the north side. Buckhead is a great time, and also Duluth.

Deer and turkey hunting are excellent with liberal limits. Waterfowl hunting sucks, and it sucks bad. That's the biggest downside for me here. It looks like you're prior service, several bases that you could find work at, and also the FAA has thousands of employees in GA, and they give big preference to all Vets.

You can speed everywhere you go. The interstates are like raceways. Cops don't really bother you unless you're going 15+ mph over.

The best thing about Georgia, is it has been blessed with Georgia Southern University
View Quote

GATA

I've lived in Statesboro all my life, and I don't consider Atlanta to be GA.  Unfortunately, that's where almost all of the jobs are in this state and it was a bitch finding even a modest career in small town GA.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where all of our gun rights still apply.  Atlanta is not as liberal as most cities and its not nearly as bad as most people want to say it is, in the right areas...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true. What most people out of state and nowhere close to Atlanta don't know is, the actual city of Atlanta is relatively small compared to the surrounding area. The surrounding area stretches from the Northern Foothills all the way down past Peachtree City and stretches east to west as much; its a huge area for sure.

Is downtown Atanta a shit-hole in areas? You GD right it is, anything less than a fire-team in a Styker is risky. Are there gangs, umm, yeah....FSA? A metric shit-ton and we even have a fairly large 'alternative lifestyle' community. Nothing different than any other major city in the NE or out on the left coast except we like our freedoms more. We like to keep more of our money and depending on where you live, you can still be in the area yet live in the country.

On second thought, it sucks here I wouldn't want anyone to think they should move here. Save yourself, we have zombies.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sister & BIL live in Cleveland GA.  Been there many times visiting.  I would consider moving there if I didn't need an income.  Job market in that area stinks but the area is nice.  

Alpharetta will be the closest. It's the IT Mecca plus one of the largest concentration of data-centers in the East.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are Indian or Pakistani, this is the state for you. North Fulton, to be more specific.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Southwest Georgia is a whole different place. We have plantations (no slaves!, LOL) and acres and acres of hardwood woodlands and pines. It is just like you hear, everyone waves at you, and neighbors help neighbors. It is country living at it's best! Just stay away from the cities! That is where the cesspools are!

The climate is great, no snow at all, and saltwater fishing is just an hour away!  Nobody around here calls the law if you are shooting, heck, I even have a deputy neighbor that loves to shoot tannerite on the weekends!

View Quote

This seriously sounds like the place I want to live at. Serious dude pm me. I'm out of the army in a year. I need to start looking at where I plant my roots.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP,
You need to tell us what part of the state. I grew up in Marietta, went away to school, came back living in a few places north of Atlanta and now live south of town in Fayetteville. If you are looking at any of these places let me know and I can tell you what I know. If you are looking in the south metro side of Atlanta I will pick you up at the airport and show you around.
One thing to remember, draw a line from Columbus to Macon to Augusta, anything south of that has gnats
View Quote

Fayetteville is nice. I was born and raised there and live there now. The south end of Fayette is where you want to be as the north end is getting overrun by the urban criminal element oozing out of Clayton and Fulton county.
I won't let my wife got to Wal Mart after 6pm by herself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the gnat line?

Wat?

Shhhhhh! Maybe everyone will believe him and won't move to our fine state. Georgia Sux!! Shits overpriced, full of ghettos, liberal heaven, off hour commute times are worsen than rush hour on the I-5. We have no rights. Etc etc.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep you can buy liquor in the metro area on Sundays at bars/restaurants and liquor stores. Which has always made me laugh. If your too stupid to stick up before Sunday your too stupid to drink.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Skeeter Branch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skeeter Branch.

That place is an embarrassment to waterfowlers. If I wanted target practice, I would shoot clays and save a few hundred $. I actually go out and scout and do the hunting part not that bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm pretty sure we're full. I hear Florida is nice.

We have one of the most active HTFs on the site, although we should have a sticky as this question gets asked a lot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Check out the htf. An argument can be made that it is the most active on this site.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fayetteville is nice. I was born and raised there and live there now. The south end of Fayette is where you want to be as the north end is getting overrun by the urban criminal element oozing out of Clayton and Fulton county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,
You need to tell us what part of the state. I grew up in Marietta, went away to school, came back living in a few places north of Atlanta and now live south of town in Fayetteville. If you are looking at any of these places let me know and I can tell you what I know. If you are looking in the south metro side of Atlanta I will pick you up at the airport and show you around.
One thing to remember, draw a line from Columbus to Macon to Augusta, anything south of that has gnats

When I was in high school I would take all the hoes to Tinsel Town for a cheap date, fast forward 3-4 years. I took a hoe there because we were in the area, holy shit I thought I was going to get shot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Social opportunities wasn't part of what the OP was looking at, if bars/clubs/etc are your concern then yes you need to be 'in the city.' I think it's safe to say you're the only one in this thread that gives two shits about that stuff but since we're on this topic, Roswell and Alpharetta have some of this including brew pubs and breweries.
View Quote

Again, I'd encourage anyone to move there, it's a great city.  I just don't agree that it's cheap when you start looking at the more desirable areas to live.  Which is fine, why should it be.  It's not so much "social opportunities" as the ability to grab a burger without having to hop in your car and drive somewhere.  Maybe a few places in Roswell and Alpharetta offer that, but my impression was that they were a little more spread out than say Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park for example.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shhhhhh! Maybe everyone will believe him and won't move to our fine state. Georgia Sux!! Shits overpriced, full of ghettos, liberal heaven, off hour commute times are worsen than rush hour on the I-5. We have no rights. Etc etc.  
View Quote

Maybe my post came across wrong, so I'll try again

I don't find housing to be cheap in the Atlanta neighborhoods I would want to live in.  This is not a bad thing.  Why should it be?  Detroit is cheap, I don't want to live there.  And yes, traffic is no fun in rush hour, but it's no L.A. either

Hopefully that is better
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And yes, traffic is no fun in rush hour, but it's no L.A. either.
View Quote

I've seen Atlanta traffic ranked worse than L.A. in the past.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't find housing to be cheap in the Atlanta neighborhoods I would want to live in.  This is not a bad thing.  Why should it be?  Detroit is cheap, I don't want to live there.  And yes, traffic is no fun in rush hour, but it's no L.A. either

Hopefully that is better

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully that is better

Much better. If you want to live in the nice areas of the metro area you had better have some jack. It's expensive. Go a few miles in any direction and it's a different story.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
stay away. you will not like all the land we devote to golf courses and gun ranges. it would offend you that guns are practically free and babies open carry. cigar stores abound. women like men. men drive trucks. houses have land around them. you will find it annoying we shoot off the back porch. that liquer stores grow on trees. it will scare your children that you can fly your red white and blue. you will miss the libtard army. our public elementary school still has christmas parties. you will be home sick for public transportation at your front door. the low taxes are depressing. you cannot give away ammo on christmas as no more can possibly fit into the cans. the stars are too bright. it gets so dang hot in the summer people take off all their clothes. the sheriff approves cc way to fast. there are far too many IT jobs in alpharetta and roswell. grenade launchers for $150. suppressors come with every happy meal purchase. short barrelled everything and automatic anything. it's just sick. stay away. go hang out with the texas guy who says we suck.

but if you do move here avoid the cities and spend yer money on land. then invite us all over for bbq and a shootout.
View Quote

Well I am a big golf nut, and shooting as well, so check that one off the list.
I drive a truck as well
WV state taxes suck monkey nuts
And I'm originally from Texas, but don't want to move that far south
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I moved to Atlanta (live in Smyrna) about a year and a half ago. I hated it at first, but it does grow on you. I do not think I will ever call Atlanta home, but all in all, I am sure there are worst places to live. For what it is worth, I am not a big city person, so that has had a l lot to do with it too, but I had a job opportunity that I could not pass up.

Pro's for me: weather, real estate is cheap, lots of music festivals and such, I like the Civil War history of the city and surrounding area, northern Georgia is beautiful.

Con's for me: Traffic is brutal, the worst drivers in the country, people are pu$$ies when it comes to cold weather, and God forbid a few flakes of snow!, too many dipshits in Atlanta (to be fair, most people in Atlanta are not from the area. I have only met two genuine Georgians since I have been here. Met more people from Canada here!), for a city with such a large amount of transplants, I have found it very difficult to make friends here. I might be a dick, but my GF is incredibly outgoing and nice and she cant make any friends worth a damn either. I miss the change of seasons too.

The weather is nice though....and I would like to explore the area outside of Atlanta. I think I would like that much better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I love Georgia.  Great hunting, gun friendly, beautiful scenery.
View Quote

+1 to all of this. However, with that said, we're full. Sorry.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Again, I'd encourage anyone to move there, it's a great city.  I just don't agree that it's cheap when you start looking at the more desirable areas to live.  Which is fine, why should it be.  It's not so much "social opportunities" as the ability to grab a burger without having to hop in your car and drive somewhere.  Maybe a few places in Roswell and Alpharetta offer that, but my impression was that they were a little more spread out than say Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That term is a very subjective term, where I live is very desirable and is quite reasonable for what you get. Yes being "out in the country" up in the foothills has it's downside, a date night out with the wife is Roswell or Alpharetta as opposed to Atlanta proper but again that's not a concern for me. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the OP's comments but being that he resides in West Virginia, (out in the sticks at that,) the likelihood of social activities doesn't seem to be high on his list. If I'm wrong then by all mean your advice is correct, Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park will be more 'fun' if you like to go bar hopping/clubbing/etc. If the OP is a 'hipster' then please take the advice and look at Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park where you're 'contained' with the rest.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes being "out in the country" up in the foothills have it's downside, a date night out with the wife is Roswell or Alpharetta as opposed to Atlanta proper.......
View Quote

That sounds like a plus to me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That term is a very subjective term, where I live is very desirable and is quite reasonable for what you get. Yes being "out in the country" up in the foothills has it's downside, a date night out with the wife is Roswell or Alpharetta as opposed to Atlanta proper but again that's not a concern for me. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the OP's comments but being that he resides in West Virginia, (out in the sticks at that,) the likelihood of social activities doesn't seem to be high on his list. If I'm wrong then by all mean your advice is correct, Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park will be more 'fun' if you like to go bar hopping/clubbing/etc. If the OP is a 'hipster' then please take the advice and look at Decatur, VA Highlands, Candler Park where you're 'contained' with the rest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no not a "hipster", social events don't concern me.
Golf, shooting, and not having to walk outside, turn my head and see my next door neighbor 30 feet away would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#42]
we're full.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Depends on what part of GA your talking about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Hugely.

But if you choose correctly, from WV it is a kinda lateral move (redneck/ hillbilly wise).

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a Realtor in middle GA. I can answer questions for you about this area if you become interested. Feel free to PM with any questions about the middle GA area.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"Georgia, at least you aren't in Mississippi" is the state motto.
View Quote

Mississippi (and Alabama) WAS Georgia until 1790s.  Yazoo Land Fraud

I don't believe anybody answered the OPs question to define the gnat line:

Imaginary line that goes from Columbus  -- Macon -- Augusta, below which the gnats are numerous and form clouds, and they have an attitude.  You can tell the natives there in that they don't walk around constantly waving their hand in their face
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Wait a second here......you currently live in WV? And you NEED convincing to move to Ga?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wait a second here......you currently live in WV? And you NEED convincing to move to Ga?
View Quote

yeah.. I have a pretty good job where I'm at and don't NEED to move, however I would like to, it's hard to find places to shoot around here and not a whole lot else as far as stores etc. unless you want to drive east to dc/fredrick/leesburg etc
plus the lack of local golf courses really sucks, but I've managed for 3 years. I am just trying to assess the pluses and minuses of GA
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Go to Hinesville.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I moved to Atlanta (live in Smyrna) about a year and a half ago. I hated it at first, but it does grow on you. I do not think I will ever call Atlanta home, but all in all, I am sure there are worst places to live. For what it is worth, I am not a big city person, so that has had a l lot to do with it too, but I had a job opportunity that I could not pass up.

Pro's for me: weather, real estate is cheap, lots of music festivals and such, I like the Civil War history of the city and surrounding area, northern Georgia is beautiful.

Con's for me: Traffic is brutal, the worst drivers in the country, people are pu$$ies when it comes to cold weather, and God forbid a few flakes of snow!, too many dipshits in Atlanta (to be fair, most people in Atlanta are not from the area. I have only met two genuine Georgians since I have been here. Met more people from Canada here!), for a city with such a large amount of transplants, I have found it very difficult to make friends here. I might be a dick, but my GF is incredibly outgoing and nice and she cant make any friends worth a damn either. I miss the change of seasons too.

The weather is nice though....and I would like to explore the area outside of Atlanta. I think I would like that much better.
View Quote
Hang out in the HTF. We have meet ups quite often.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profile of a hipster (from city data link below) - white, married with children, 37 years old, median income of $98k/year.  I'll be sure to tell them to act more ironic and grow some moustaches and stuff.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Virginia-Highland-Atlanta-GA.html

I probably pissed in a couple of people's cheerios and twisted some panties with my first post, but again, it wasn't meant to be negative (about a city that I highly recommend) so much as to relay some firsthand experience about house prices.  Assuming you beleive in basic economics and that supply/demand drives price, more "desirable" places are typically more expensive for just that reason, they are "desirable".  Cheaper places are also cheaper for a reason.  

Reading the OPs latest post, he seems to know what he wants.  But he did initially say young and upwardly mobile, which has connotations of its own.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top