Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2015 7:46:06 PM EDT
I'm working on a word document off of a thumb drive when it freezes.  I jump through the usual hoops of waiting for it to respond and then close it through the task manager.  After a while it finally closes.  I can't find the drive on the computer so I take it out and reinsert it.  The computer says it needs to be formatted.  Went home and tried it on my mac and it wont recognize it either.

Brand new 64gb USB 3.0.

So all in all, I lost 3 1/2 semesters of grad school work.  Not terrible but it still sucks none the less.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You had multiple copies of the data in other places, right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You had multiple copies of the data in other places, right?

View Quote

He didn't say he was a good grad student.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have all of my grad school stuff backed up on two computers, google drive and drop box. What you describe is the subject of grad student nightmares.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That was my only copy.  Midterms were handed in over the weekend so I don't need anything that was lost.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah you never have important stuff in only one location.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
that sucks
please tell me you had backups elsewhere as well?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Backups will be your friend, tough lesson to learn.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
So it sounds like you're saying I should upgrade.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
USB keychain drives are convenient.  They are not reliable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Umm, per chance, are you a millennial?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  
View Quote

I would recommend 3: One in the cloud, One local working copy, and One local backup.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  
View Quote

I used to have the "Jesus Saves, and makes frequent backups" on my wall.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
So if it's a brand new drive, you had an older drive it replaced?
Did you keep it?
Any chance a prior version is still saved?

Backups are your friends. No kidding.
Even if you mail it to yourself, regularly.

I'm just say'n.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would recommend 3: One in the cloud, One local working copy, and One local backup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  

I don't trust cloud options (for no real good reason).  But I have 2 backups plus a third offsite.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
What data recovery software have you tried?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't trust cloud options (for no real good reason).  But I have 2 backups plus a third offsite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  

I don't feel like dealing with an offsite backup so I count the cloud sort of as one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Costly lesson but I just learned it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
None, no computers will even recognize the drive.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't feel like dealing with an offsite backup so I count the cloud sort of as one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say it out loud kids:

"2 is 1, 1 is none."  

Just as good.  Main thing to me is an option that protects against theft/fire/flood/etc.  Having 87 backups does no good if they're all in the same location.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it a Sandisk?  They usually provide a free copy or trial of their rescue software.  I used it once on a CF card and it actually saved everything after I deleted the card accidentally.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I had that happen to me with a 1Tb hard drive.  I had 60 days of adult content on it and it was all gone just like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Try this

Used this program to recover files off my wife's USB hard drive that was acting similar.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Try this

Used this program to recover files off my wife's USB hard drive that was acting similar.
View Quote
I don't think that will work if it isn't readable in the first place?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try this

Does it show up in Disk Utility on your mac?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Only one copy of your grad school work ?

Like to live on the edge?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try this

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
If the drive is visible to the operating system, a recovery utility should be able to pull it out.

Then, hammer that bitch to oblivion.  Never trust a thumb drive that does that shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm working on a word document off of a thumb drive when it freezes.  I jump through the usual hoops of waiting for it to respond and then close it through the task manager.  After a while it finally closes.  I can't find the drive on the computer so I take it out and reinsert it.  The computer says it needs to be formatted.  Went home and tried it on my mac and it wont recognize it either.

Brand new 64gb USB 3.0.

So all in all, I lost 3 1/2 semesters of grad school work.  Not terrible but it still sucks none the less.  
View Quote

3.5 semesters of grad school yet still wasn't smart enough to have a back up or to use google drive or dropbox
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#31]
i have had success with easus file recovery but it only runs in windoze
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#32]
love the thread title.

when I use to LAn in high school we would always come across a bad or dying part and have to replace it.
one of us was always in the middle of a build so we had extra parts to fix whoevers computer for the night to keep playing.
broken parts got sprayed in wd40 and slid across the floor on fire to be smashed with a rubber mallet one night.
thus became the ritual. wd40 and rubber mallet

ever thrown a 30 inch CRT monitor off your friends parents roof at 3am blasting to whom the bell tolls and sand storm?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I ended up using "321Soft".  It appears to have worked but it changed every file name to FileXXX so I have to sift through 400 word documents to find what I need for this week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
this is like the modernized version of the dog ate my homework
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Brand new 64gb USB 3.0.

View Quote

There are 'rescue programs' available that will pull the data off of a defunct USB drive. The one I have costs about 40 bucks. It works really well. If you're interested, I will go see what the name of it is.

Good luck.

He who laughs last...has a backup.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ended up using "321Soft".  It appears to have worked but it changed every file name to FileXXX so I have to sift through 400 word documents to find what I need for this week.
View Quote

That happened when I recovered a card, all file names changed but file type extension was the same.

FYI I use "Chronosync" on my Mac.  I keep the files maintained on my iMac or external drives and then when I need to copy to additional drives for backups, I just open it up and it does the sync.  1 way or it will recognize deletions as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
3.5 semesters of grad school yet still wasn't smart enough to have a back up or to use google drive or dropbox
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brand new 64gb USB 3.0.

No fucking shit. You were way nicer to the OP than he deserves. What if it had shit the bed the week before midterms, instead of after?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#38]
In the world of ubiquitous cloud storage you get a out of
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife had a 32gb drive sticking out the front of her work computer when she hit it with a book and snapped the connector off the PCB, a coworker's husband (who teaches soldering and PCB repair) tried to repair it but the data was gone. Years of class plans, assignments, etc, all down the drain. I gave her two 18" USB extensions so the next time it takes a hit at work or she drops her laptop the drive can just flop around, and I set up a 3tb external drive for her, but she never uses it, or backs things up to her laptop's drive like I told her to...

Kharn

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My wife had a 32gb drive sticking out the front of her work computer when she hit it with a book and snapped the connector off the PCB, a coworker's husband (who teaches soldering and PCB repair) tried to repair it but the data was gone. Years of class plans, assignments, etc, all down the drain. I gave her two 18" USB extensions so the next time it takes a hit at work or she drops her laptop the drive can just flop around, and I set up a 3tb external drive for her, but she never uses it, or backs things up to her laptop's drive like I told her to...

Kharn

View Quote

I like this style for that exact reason.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

1) Don't work off of flash drives.

2) Only one copy of your data?

View Quote
That.

Also, the data is likely recoverable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Brand new 64gb USB 3.0.

View Quote

Thumb drives generally use TLC flash - triple layer cell. It is the least reliable of the flash types.  Add to that two more factors:

1.  Most technology follows an inverse bell curve with failure rate on the Y axis and time on the X.  It either fails early or runs a good while, then toward the end of its useful life.
2.  You only had one copy.  There is no substitute for multiple copies of data regardless of the storage technology used.

Data loss sucks.  Glad to hear it didn't consist of critical data.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe I got it all back.  My penance for not having a backup.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go forth and backup thine files.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Don't worry, that floppy disk is write protected.  Shit's safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

awesome
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
First thing you should do: Take all your archived grad school work and zip it up, encrypt it, and shove it into the 'cloud' somewhere.

Then, come up with a viable backup rotation involving two different brands of USB zip drives or external HDD.

Third, STICK TO IT.  And make sure you rotate an encrypted backup to the 'cloud' at least monthly.

Finally: TEST YOUR BACK UPS!

I have every paper I wrote for grad school along with all the references I made and images I embedded in an archive because I couldn't afford to lose any.  That and because it would look pretty bad for a grad student in Information Assurance to lose all his work due to not having a contingency plan or adequate data storage practice.

Repent thee, sinner.  Go forth, and sin no more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I didn't realize the usb drives were that unreliable. For automatic backup on your mac, you can try their Time Capsule LINK

I have been using one for a few years and its pretty sweet. If you do something stupid you can go back to the last known good version and all your stuff is there and it backs up automatically. The only problem is if it would fail and you needed a backup.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

It was murdered and came back?  How close are we to Easter?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That was my only copy.  Midterms were handed in over the weekend so I don't need anything that was lost.  
View Quote

and this, my dear, is the reason god invented google docs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top