Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 7:44:40 PM EDT
My APAP machine is giving me fits. It is having a hard time starting. It tries the restarts multiple times. Finally it will get going and work fine. I am scared it is going to give out on me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending how old it is, it's probably better to just get a new one.
Get them to check the computer chip first though. Could be something simple.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Power supply?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Power supply?
View Quote

Possible I guess. From the sounds of it though it sounds like the pump is trying to start, but then gets stuck then resets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI

Ma Danby just had hers replaced.  Most places won't even try to repair them anymore.  The new ones have better recorders, etc on them.  She had 2.1 episodes the other night.  how you get a .1 is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What is 2.1 episodes? My m/c is 6mo old, hope it last a long time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My old Remstar CPAP went 10,000 hours before a bearing in the blower motor went bad. The pressure dropped and there was a whining noise when it stopped and started. There's a place in Manchester TN that rebuilds them, So I sent it there. It came back two weeks later and still works, though I have a newer machine now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FPNI

Ma Danby just had hers replaced.  Most places won't even try to repair them anymore.  The new ones have better recorders, etc on them.  She had 2.1 episodes the other night.  how you get a .1 is beyond me.
View Quote

Sure it's not 2.1 episodes an hour? That would be close to "normal", untreated I was having something like 98 episodes an hour.

Also op, how long has she had it? Most insurances will cover a new machine every 2 years afaik. If you don't have insurance the machines and accessories are much less expensive through online sources such as cpap.com than a brick and mortar DME dealer. They are simple to set up also.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.. Added a Bong Bowl. it is fixed !
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine broke several years ago. I was told insurance would pay to fix it until it was cheaper to get a new one.  They also paid for a rental while mine was getting fixed
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Altra Service They offer free quotes and free shipping. Great service.

As someone else mentioned, it may be more economical to simply buy a new machine.

I purchased a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet after my previous five year old APAP broke, and could not be happier. CPAP technology has improved dramatically in the past five years.

We have a high deductible health insurance plan so I paid out of pocket and purchased from this company Sleep Restfully. The owner knows his stuff and is very service oriented and responsive.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I called apria healthcare where I got it. They told me it may be old enough to get a new one. They told me to get my doc to write a prescription and see if insurance will cover it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sure it's not 2.1 episodes an hour? That would be close to "normal", untreated I was having something like 98 episodes an hour.

Also op, how long has she had it? Most insurances will cover a new machine every 2 years afaik. If you don't have insurance the machines and accessories are much less expensive through online sources such as cpap.com than a brick and mortar DME dealer. They are simple to set up also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

I just asked about that, "Didn't I say "per hour"?" was the answer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
If you got it through your insurance and at a medical supply store there may be some sort of service agreement.  When I got mine I was told that if something went wrong with it to bring it back to the medical supply store, and they would send it in for repair.  After 5 years I can get a new one through the insurance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I had 21,000 hours on my old CPAP before it shit the bed. Self start all day.  It would suck/blow at night making me CRAZY.
I had my machine for 7+ years.  New machines are awesome.  My mask went out of production so Im still searching for a good new one...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It fired up right away last couple nights. Knock on wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top