BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, there are some people who cannot be rehabilitated and some crimes cannot be paid for by serving time in prison.
View Quote

I absolutely agree with this when evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  So we don't disagree on everything.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You mean this?

Maybe so, but I do enjoy the discourse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, someone convicted of a violent felony should not have their rights restored at the completion of their sentence.

Why not?  Serious question.

Already answered, see two posts down from your original

You mean this?

Quoted:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe so, but I do enjoy the discourse.

Snipped the post to PA Danby for quote restrictions.....

Sorry about that, I meant the post two down from where you posed that question. Technically the 14th post of page 3....

"Violent felons (IMO) should have their rights restricted by the Courts because they've already demonstrated they are incapable of handling themselves". I feel that violent felons have already demonstrated that they have poor impulse control and have already demonstrated the willingness to use violence on others without regard to right or wrong.

I'm not in favor of allowing them to regain the right to legally arm themselves afterwards.

Can I prevent them from obtaining a firearm? Absolutely not. I realize that.

But there are ways to ensure that doing so costs them dearly if they are caught.

ETA - I enjoy the discourse as well.

Being challenged causes me to articulate and explain my beliefs and to justify them.

GD is harsh, and not being able to do so will be immediately obvious and will have repercussions.

It's the old Sink or Swim mindset....If you cannot explain or justify your position in a GD thread.....you'll be eaten by the sharks.

Y'all make me better able to debate and explain myself because you challenge me....

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
McCulloch's father was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty. He will prosecute. However, he rarely takes cases himself as he's running the entire office. His Assistant PA's handle the vast majority of cases brought to the office.

I've brought good cases to the PA's office and had APA's refuse to prosecute and had a Judge dismiss a gun case because "You cant take a suspect's statement as proof he committed a crime."

Meaning, a confession that is both written and video taped was not acceptable to this Judge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The libtards are trying to overturn the recent changes to gun laws in Missouri. Pretty sure this was done to have something to point to so they can say how wrong the new law is.

Yup! That's precisely what this is. The legislature has already come out against this.

This is my take as well. Was it you that's posted in the past how the esteemed city prosecutor doesnt really vigorously prosecute our St. Louis felons?

I remember it from one of our STL PD posters and I find that interesting in light of her 300 gun toting felons a year quote in the article.

McCulloch's father was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty. He will prosecute. However, he rarely takes cases himself as he's running the entire office. His Assistant PA's handle the vast majority of cases brought to the office.

I've brought good cases to the PA's office and had APA's refuse to prosecute and had a Judge dismiss a gun case because "You cant take a suspect's statement as proof he committed a crime."

Meaning, a confession that is both written and video taped was not acceptable to this Judge.

Holy fucking shit!  In you area I'm guessing those types of decisions wouldn't really hurt him come election time, might even help him.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Holy fucking shit!  In you area I'm guessing those types of decisions wouldn't really hurt him come election time, might even help him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The libtards are trying to overturn the recent changes to gun laws in Missouri. Pretty sure this was done to have something to point to so they can say how wrong the new law is.

Yup! That's precisely what this is. The legislature has already come out against this.

This is my take as well. Was it you that's posted in the past how the esteemed city prosecutor doesnt really vigorously prosecute our St. Louis felons?

I remember it from one of our STL PD posters and I find that interesting in light of her 300 gun toting felons a year quote in the article.

Female Judge.
She actually lives in the municipality I work for, which is where the crime occurred.

I've told everyone I know what her name is and why they should vote against her.

Hopefully someday......
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
once you pay your debt to society all rights should be restored. if the felon is so dangerous give them the maximum sentence so they are not on the street.
View Quote

Keeping a person locked in a cage, for an extended period of time, is inhumane to both the prisoner and the public, that is paying for his incarceration.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like he should've never been a felon in the first place
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There you go.

Who regulates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain why a violent felon should get their right to possess a firearm back.

I'm literally advocating punishing the individual, not the collective.

Explain why a person convicted of kidnappper/rapist/murderer/Assault 1st should be allowed to possess firearms.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

There you go.

Who regulates?

You cannot possibly be serious.
ETA: You still haven't explained how you intend to restrict those felons' rights without affecting anyone else's rights, but if you seriously think that the current infringements are valid because 'well-regulated' (even as wrong as that is), then you really don't care that others' rights are infringed in order to effect your grand plan of 'keeping guns out of the hands of felons for the children' (societal risk).
What force are you willing to use against a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? If you are consistent in your position, then you must answer that you are willing to use deadly force as an agent of the government, or advocate such use.
If you support any of the current infringements, e.g. 4473, then I have another question for you:
One day, Frank FFL decides that Carl Customer seems like a nice guy, and begins the attempt to transfer a firearm to Carl. However, Bob Background-Checker (government) just happens to be browsing the shotguns 3 display cases over, and hears Frank and Carl about to perform the transfer. Bob walks up, and introduces himself "Hi,I'm Bob Background-Checker and you're not allowed to transfer that firearm unless you get my approval." Frank's had a pretty rough day and doesn't seem to be in the mood to appease Bob, and he retorts with "Oh, yeah, Bob, well today I couldn't care less about your approval and I'm going to transfer this firearm to Carl anyways."
Would you, if you were Bob Background-Checker, use force to prevent that transfer from taking place? If you would not, do you support someone else using force on your behalf in order to prevent it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of you people have really jumped the shark.

If you had seen some of the animals I've personally released because the state said I had to you would not be in such a hot hurry to hand them back their rights without the felon going through the process set by their state to get them back. Fuck judicial activism.

I'm sorry but it's the height of lunacy to allow a felon to take his discharge debit card and go to the first "Guns are Us" they see and buy a gun before they even get back to their AO. None of you do-gooder Libertarians will never convince me otherwise.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you had seen some of the animals I've personally released because the state said I had to you would not be in such a hot hurry to hand them back their rights without the felon going through the process set by their state to get them back. Fuck judicial activism.

I'm sorry but it's the height of lunacy to allow a felon to take his discharge debit card and go to the first "Guns are Us" they see and buy a gun before they even get back to their AO. None of you do-gooder Libertarians will never convince me otherwise.

View Quote

How may millions/billions of dollars should we spend on a system to enforce a law that is nothing but feel good? The ONLY thing it stops is a ex-felon from being able to go to a store and get their exact gun of choice. It's roughly as effective as preventing felons from buying new cars in order to stop them from driving. They don't even enforce it on top of it! Look up how many falsifying info on a 4473 cases they even bother to prosecute, and those are just the instances where a felon attempted to buy a gun through a legitimate shop.

I would wager they have shut down way more gun shops for paperwork violations necessary to support such a system than they have actually gone after felons for lying on a 4473. What is the real purpose of the law if they are mainly using it to shut down gun stores?

Why should we support a expensive system that is so dumb it can be circumvented by a Facebook B/S/T group?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How may millions/billions of dollars should we spend on a system to enforce a law that is nothing but feel good? The ONLY thing it stops is a ex-felon from being able to go to a store and get their exact gun of choice. It's roughly as effective as preventing felons from buying new cars in order to stop them from driving. They don't even enforce it on top of it! Look up how many falsifying info on a 4473 cases they even bother to prosecute, and those are just the instances where a felon attempted to buy a gun through a legitimate shop.

I would wager they have shut down way more gun shops for paperwork violations necessary to support such a system than they have actually gone after felons for lying on a 4473. What is the real purpose of the law if they are mainly using it to shut down gun stores?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grasping at 4473 straws (without figures to back it up) does not a legitimate argument make. I get plenty of misinformation from leftist media thank you very much.

BTW....At least in Virginia all costs involved with a felon getting their rights back are borne by the felon. My Nephew went through the whole process and it took him twelve years. He now has his 2A rights back, works for the state, and has a CHP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Grasping at 4473 straws (without figures to back it up) does not a legitimate argument make. I get plenty of misinformation from leftist media thank you very much.

BTW....At least in Virginia all costs involved with a felon getting their rights back are borne by the felon. My Nephew went through the whole process and it took him twelve years. He now has his 2A rights back, works for the state, and has a CHP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://fflguard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ATF-Revocations-and-Non-Renewals-00004321.pdf

The ATF takes away dealers' licenses on average about 110 times a year.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/239272.pdf

Enforcement of the Brady Act, 2010
8 Of the 62 charges referred from the 2010 cases, 18(29%) had been declined by a prosecutor as of December 13, 2011. A guilty plea was obtained on 13 charges (about 21%) and 10 charges (about 16%) were dismissed as part of a plea agreement. Twelve charges (approximately 19%) were still pending action by a prosecutor as of December 13, 2011.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's a felony of CCW without a permit in Missouri?
View Quote

Definitely more to this story.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
So you are a cop? If so what about your oath to the constitution?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who is? Why not call that what it actually is?

You would personally or by proxy use force or the threat of force against all those who would attempt to purchase a firearm from an FFL or acquire a firearm through any other source, felon or not.

Good to know where you stand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You would personally or by proxy use force or the threat of force against all those who would attempt to purchase a firearm from an FFL or acquire a firearm through any other source, felon or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

That has to be the most obtuse rendering of my position yet.

That's OK Cletus as far as I am concerned you can stand outside Parchman Farm and give up or sell your gun collection to the fine upstanding citizens as they leave on their discharge day. You will have to live with them, not me. Have at it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?

That's OK Cletus as far as I am concerned you can stand outside Parchman Farm and give up or sell your gun collection to the fine upstanding citizens as they leave on their discharge day. You will have to live with them, not me. Have at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Again, you don't realize exactly what you're advocating. That transfer, whether I effect it or someone else does, is currently taking place. I'm not saying you have to give your guns to the freshly freed violent felon, I'm saying that you would stand there (or advocate someone else to) and use force to prevent me (or anyone) from proceeding with the transfer. That's the fucked up part. No matter what language you want to couch that in, you are on the wrong side.
Oh, uh, by the way... has it occurred to you that you are living with them?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Explain why a person convicted of kidnappper/rapist/murderer/Assault 1st should be allowed to possess firearms.
View Quote

Explain how telling a criminal not to break another law is going to have any effect?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA: You still haven't explained how you intend to restrict those felons' rights without affecting anyone else's rights, but if you seriously think that the current infringements are valid because 'well-regulated' (even as wrong as that is), then you really don't care that others' rights are infringed in order to effect your grand plan of 'keeping guns out of the hands of felons for the children' (societal risk).
What force are you willing to use against a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? If you are consistent in your position, then you must answer that you are willing to use deadly force as an agent of the government, or advocate such use.
If you support any of the current infringements, e.g. 4473, then I have another question for you:
One day, Frank FFL decides that Carl Customer seems like a nice guy, and begins the attempt to transfer a firearm to Carl. However, Bob Background-Checker (government) just happens to be browsing the shotguns 3 display cases over, and hears Frank and Carl about to perform the transfer. Bob walks up, and introduces himself "Hi,I'm Bob Background-Checker and you're not allowed to transfer that firearm unless you get my approval." Frank's had a pretty rough day and doesn't seem to be in the mood to appease Bob, and he retorts with "Oh, yeah, Bob, well today I couldn't care less about your approval and I'm going to transfer this firearm to Carl anyways."
Would you, if you were Bob Background-Checker, use force to prevent that transfer from taking place? If you would not, do you support someone else using force on your behalf in order to prevent it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

There you go.

Who regulates?

Prior to this Constitutional Amendment, Felons (violent or not) were not allowed to possess firearms.
Period.
It was punishable by law as a stand alone charge. When a felon was stopped and found with a gun, they were arrested and charged as being a felon in possession of a firearm.

I'm not proposing to do anything different in that regard.

Regarding what force are you willing to use against a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Whatever force is necessary to effect an arrest. That is entirely up to the convicted violent felon in your hypothetical situation. Would I arrest a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Hell yes.
Would I use deadly force to do so? If the convicted violent felon left me no choice but to use deadly force to protect myself and/or others, absolutely.
Why is this a question? This was settled quite clearly by Tennessee v Garner.

Regarding Frank the FFL decided to do a transfer without the Federally mandated NICs check goes....its currently illegal to do so and I dont see that changing anytime soon.
If I had an FFl, I wouldnt risk it.
Do I think force should be used to prevent it?
WTF kind of question is that?

Do think Cops stay up at night dreaming of ways to kill/maim/shoot people and or dogs?

I have absolutely no idea what your purpose behind these questions are, but if I were the King of the United States, I would do things differently:

1...NFA would be abolished and MG's, SBS, AOW's, & suppressors would be legal to own & manufacture by anyone who is not a prohibited person.
2...Prohibited persons would include convicted violent felons, and those who have been adjudicated mentally ill.
3...There would be an appeals process for those who have been adjudicated mentally ill ensure that the person was legitimately mentally ill and not the victim of ill will/conspiracy/misdiagnosis.
4...There would be a federal database of prohibited persons which FFL's would run a person's name against to see if they were a prohibited person. This database would be open for non FFL's to check against as well. It would not be an openly view-able database, information would have to be entered into it in order to get a response. The information would include a person's name, DOB, driver's license number, and SSN. Hits return the information that the person is prohibited. No response means not a prohibited person.

I'm just spitballing here man.....

What other information are you wanting?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Explain how telling a criminal not to break another law is going to have any effect?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Telling them wont do a damn thing. I realize that.
Laws must be enforced (equally and fairly) or they should not exist.

I dont expect a convicted violent felon to suddenly find Jesus, or have a new found respect for life.
When they get caught with a firearm, they get additional charges, same as now. Make it hurt, and behavior will change.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
<<<SNIPPED>>>
Regarding Frank the FFL decided to do a transfer without the Federally mandated NICs check goes....its currently illegal to do so and I dont see that changing anytime soon.
<<<SNIPPED>>>
2...Prohibited persons would include convicted violent felons, and those who have been adjudicated mentally ill.
<<<SNIPPED>>>
4...There would be a federal database of prohibited persons which FFL's would run a person's name against to see if they were a prohibited person. This database would be open for non FFL's to check against as well. It would not be an openly view-able database, information would have to be entered into it in order to get a response. The information would include a person's name, DOB, driver's license number, and SSN. Hits return the information that the person is prohibited. No response means not a prohibited person.
<<<SNIPPED>>>
View Quote

It's a simple question. However, I see you answered it 'Yes', in a roundabout sort of way, via #2 and #4.
You keep going on about felon this, felon that, but when it comes right down to it, I can't go and buy a firearm from an FFL (not that they should exist in the first place) without you supporting the threat of force which prohibits that transfer unless your guidelines are met. Your position, by proxy, infringes mine, under the guise of 'I just don't feel safe with just anybody being allowed to carry a gun'. Of course, if you support the whole FFL mess of things, then you must logically support those infringements for face-to-face transfers as well, though it's just too inconvenient to effect that at the moment.
You do realize the 'public safety' argument is bullshit, right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#21]
The problem is a felony is so easy to attain. My state has a ton of laws that if convicted would cause you to become a felon and lose your gun rights.
Anything from possessing a zip lock bag containing trace amounts of pot to pulling someone's else's Crab trap (third degree felony).
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I remember being about four years old with my mother drilling it into my head to look both ways before crossing a road. They failed that big time.

I don't see why people are offended by the gif. It documents a mistake, and should be used as an example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I remember being about four years old with my mother drilling it into my head to look both ways before crossing a road. They failed that big time.

I don't see why people are offended by the gif. It documents a mistake, and should be used as an example.

Looks like he was going the wrong way and too fast with blind pedestrian spots coming up, but that's just me.  I always assume other people aren't paying attention....when I'm not surfing the internet on my phone while driving.  But yeah, they should have looked both ways, but again, looks like she was looking at oncoming traffic direction.

What do I know?  Oh, yeah, good restoration of rights.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's a simple question. However, I see you answered it 'Yes', in a roundabout sort of way, via #2 and #4.
You keep going on about felon this, felon that, but when it comes right down to it, I can't go and buy a firearm from an FFL (not that they should exist in the first place) without you supporting the threat of force which prohibits that transfer unless your guidelines are met. Your position, by proxy, infringes mine, under the guise of 'I just don't feel safe with just anybody being allowed to carry a gun'. Of course, if you support the whole FFL mess of things, then you must logically support those infringements for face-to-face transfers as well, though it's just too inconvenient to effect that at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>

Since you went ahead and snipped out the parts of quote which didnt appear to support your theory that I believe in firearms for me only because I dont trust anyone else, I thought I'd go ahead and requote my original post....

Quoted:

Prior to this Constitutional Amendment, Felons (violent or not) were not allowed to possess firearms.
Period.
It was punishable by law as a stand alone charge. When a felon was stopped and found with a gun, they were arrested and charged as being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Regarding what force are you willing to use against a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Whatever force is necessary to effect an arrest. That is entirely up to the convicted violent felon in your hypothetical situation. Would I arrest a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Hell yes.
Would I use deadly force to do so? If the convicted violent felon left me no choice but to use deadly force to protect myself and/or others, absolutely.

Do think Cops stay up at night dreaming of ways to kill/maim/shoot people and or dogs?

I have absolutely no idea what your purpose behind these questions are, but if I were the King of the United States, I would do things differently:

1...NFA would be abolished and MG's, SBS, AOW's, & suppressors would be legal to own & manufacture by anyone who is not a prohibited person.
3...There would be an appeals process for those who have been adjudicated mentally ill ensure that the person was legitimately mentally ill and not the victim of ill will/conspiracy/misdiagnosis.

There are two types of people whom I feel should not be allowed to possess weapons.
They are:

Convicted violent felons

and

Adjudicated mentally ill

That's all. Just those two types of people.

It's okay to have a differing opinion than me. Just like it's okay for me have a differing opinion than you.
But what you're doing here is putting words in my mouth.
That's a whole different ball of wax.

Feel free to continue disagreeing with me...the debate is fine.
But claim I'm saying one thing, when I'm not.

Go to another thread and build your strawman there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are two types of people whom I feel should not be allowed to possess weapons.

View Quote

That's nice...

But how were you planning on disarming them?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#25]
that is a FUCK up Gif hope you get a time out
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's nice...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice...

Killer bunny rabbits which have been specially bred for the task.

That, or using a specially developed chip/charge designed by DARPA, which would be forcibly implanted in the base of the skull of such individuals. When the Chip/Charge senses the subject is possessing firearm, it detonates the charge killing the subject by severing their spinal cord. Its like the one on Mission Impossible 3, but different.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok.
I disagree with violent felons being allowed to possess firearms.

Now what?

I've explained my rationale.

I'm not God.
I'm not the POTUS.

I dont make laws.

You've got your line of thought, I've got mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My intent is enable punishment of the individual for their actions and not the collective for the actions of an individual.

My apologies if it does so.

Looks, its pretty simple really. We have a constitutional right that says we get to own and carry Arms. Period. Furthermore, in the same document we have a clear outline of what is the proper and authorized power of the branches of the government. Of which, they are not authorized to determine who or who is not allowed to own a firearm. No matter how violent or vile some people may be, we simply cannot exclude them from rights granted to everyone via a government prohibited from restricting them. By doing so we begin to undermine the whole idea behind the very foundation of our system of government.

Ok.

Now what?

I'm not God.
I'm not the POTUS.

I dont make laws.

Your blanket statements, by your own admission, lead to a mindset of conflicts.

Example: Let say a guy comes home from work early. Finds GF shagging another guy. Boyfriend, rather than taking it out on the GF and santario, walks outside & stabs a couple tires on said GF's car.

BF gets charged with aggravated Assault... On a car, with a deadly weapon. Felony! Served 30days & 15yrs probabtion.

20yrs later dude is married to new girl with two kids to look after & protect. Hasn't done anything violent since then. Wife can have firearms, but husband can't because his ex old lady pissed him off & he stabbed some tires?

You are going to tell me his rights should be taken away for the rest of his life?

You sir are on the wrong side of this & you should be smart enough to figure that out.

Plain & sime if you are "Freed" from incarceration you are free.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Example: Let say a guy comes home from work early. Finds GF shagging another guy. Boyfriend, rather than taking it out on the GF and santario, walks outside & stabs a couple tires on said GF's car.

BF gets charged with aggravated Assault... On a car, with a deadly weapon. Felony! Served 30days & 15yrs probabtion.

20yrs later dude is married to new girl with two kids to look after & protect. Hasn't done anything violent since then. Wife can have firearms, but husband can't because his ex old lady pissed him off & he stabbed some tires?

You are going to tell me his rights should be taken away for the rest of his life?

You sir are on the wrong side of this & you should be smart enough to figure that out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My intent is enable punishment of the individual for their actions and not the collective for the actions of an individual.

Looks, its pretty simple really. We have a constitutional right that says we get to own and carry Arms. Period. Furthermore, in the same document we have a clear outline of what is the proper and authorized power of the branches of the government. Of which, they are not authorized to determine who or who is not allowed to own a firearm. No matter how violent or vile some people may be, we simply cannot exclude them from rights granted to everyone via a government prohibited from restricting them. By doing so we begin to undermine the whole idea behind the very foundation of our system of government.

Ok.

Now what?

I'm not God.
I'm not the POTUS.

I dont make laws.

1....What you described is NOT aggravated assault in Missouri. Might be somewhere else, but it sure isnt in Missouri.
What you described was a property damage. Might end up being a felony property damage depending on how much the tires cost. Over $750 and it becomes Property Damage 1st which is a felony, but isnt violent.

Did he assault the guy screwing his girlfriend with the knife, or assault  the girlfriend with the knife? If so, then we have Assault 1st and the guy falls under my viewing of a violent felon, (assuming he is convicted).

I disagree with violent felons and the mentally ill being allowed to possess firearms.

You and several other people feel differently.
Ok.
So we disagree.

Now what?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1....What you described is NOT aggravated assault in Missouri. Might be somewhere else, but it sure isnt in Missouri.
What you described was a property damage. Might end up being a felony property damage depending on how much the tires cost. Over $750 and it becomes Property Damage 1st which is a felony, but isnt violent.

Did he assault the guy screwing his girlfriend with the knife, or assault  the girlfriend with the knife? If so, then we have Assault 1st and the guy falls under my viewing of a violent felon, (assuming he is convicted).

I disagree with violent felons and the mentally ill being allowed to possess firearms.

Ok.
So we disagree.

Now what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Now what?

I'm not God.
I'm not the POTUS.

I dont make laws.

Ok.
So we disagree.

Now what?

In WI he was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon & was convicted. 30days + 15yrs probate. He just got of probation about 5yrs ago.

Just rethink your stances before making blanket statements because you don't know all the laws in other states so when you think you are on the right side of it from a given direction you prove yourself to be not so right.

Plain & simple bud, you judge when you do so.

Heck even when you arrest someone you are judging. Hope you have never arrested someone, or even given someone a ticket, for doing something you ever did. Cause you know what that makes you, right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In WI he was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon & was convicted. 30days + 15yrs probate. He just got of probation about 5yrs ago.

Just rethink your stances before making blanket statements because you don't know all the laws in other states so when you think you are on the right side of it from a given direction you prove yourself to be not so right.

Heck even when you arrest someone you are judging. Hope you have never arrested someone, or even given someone a ticket, for doing something you ever did. Cause you know what that makes you, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Now what?

I'm not God.
I'm not the POTUS.

I dont make laws.

Ok.
So we disagree.

Now what?

What I stated was my opinion, not what I'm stating is right. You have a different opinion. I dont feel your opinion is right. Yay for both of us.
You presuming me to be one thing or another is judging me....yet you want to imply I'm a hypocrite?
Interesting....

I'm not a Judge, nor am I a legislator. I'm a cop.
That means I enforce the laws, I dont get to interpret them.
You're in Wisconsin, so I'm going to assume you have at least a little knowledge about hockey.

I'm like the referee. I put people in time out.
I dont make the rules, I just get to put people in time out for violating the rules.
There are people above me who make the rules, and interpret them.
Those people are called Judges and Legislators.

If you want convicted violent felons to be able to legally possess firearms, lobby your state to start passing laws that do so.
Who knows, maybe you'll know the guy who is a violent convicted felon in Wisconsin who gets his right to possess firearms restored in Wisconsin and then travels to another state with different laws and gets arrested for it. Maybe the guy you know gets his case to the Supreme Court and the SCOTUS rules that all convicted felons regardless of their crimes are legally able to possess firearms once they complete their sentence and probation/parole times.

Shit, I'd be deliriously happy if this were to go to SCOTUS and be ruled as an infringement on Constitutional Rights.

Because that would mean we'd already defeated the NFA, and and a host of other much more pressing infringements of the 2nd Amendment, and this was all that was left to litigate.

That would be fucking awesome!

It would be like going to back to when gay marriage was the biggest issue the US was dealing with, or who Bill Clinton was getting a blow job from.

If that was Wisconsin's law that merely using a knife to slice some tires was an aggravated assault, then the law is fucked up. But I'm willing to bet that there is more to the story than what you initially described if he was in fact sentenced. 30 days with a 15 year back up sounds pretty odd to me, but hey, y'all eat fried cheese curds up in Wisconsin too....

As far as you disliking me or my opinion, feel free to do so.
Its America, you have the right to disagree all your little heart desires.

I dont have to know the laws in all 50 states. I just need to know the laws in the state in which I work. Which also happens to be the state where all of this is taking place.
Currently, Federal law states that felons, (any felons, not just violent felons, but ANY felon), cannot possess a firearm.

If you're buddy is that torqued up and wants to possess a firearm, tell him to move his ass to St Louis Missouri. There's at least one judge who's willing to overlook his conviction.

I'm stating that I feel that convicted violent felons and the mentally ill should not be allowed to possess firearms, (instead of the current prohibition of ALL felons and the mentally ill possessing firearms),and suddenly I'm fucking B.Todd Jones doing my level best to deny you and every other law abiding gun owner Constitutional rights....

Whatever man....

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Full restoration of rights upon release from incarceration, anything less is unconstitutional.

Also, I am not offended in the least bit by the gif of the kids but,  I am not the type to let my emotions make me look foolish.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I think an acceptable compromise is that felons would have their rights restored immediately, but murderers, rapists, and pedophiles would be forever prohibited from owning a firearm.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think an acceptable compromise is that felons would have their rights restored immediately, but murderers, rapists, and pedophiles would be forever prohibited from owning a firearm.

View Quote

No. Fuck NO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Usually, the conviction has to be within 5 yrs for federal charges to apply.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No. Fuck NO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Fuck NO.

"Compromise" is sort of relative in this context.

I know we all hate that word, but still.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Fuck NO.

I assert that allowing the government the illegitimate power to revoke right(s) is beyond compromise. It goes against everything the USC stands for.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Since you went ahead and snipped out the parts of quote which didnt appear to support your theory that I believe in firearms for me only because I dont trust anyone else, I thought I'd go ahead and requote my original post....

They are:

Convicted violent felons

and

Adjudicated mentally ill

It's okay to have a differing opinion than me. Just like it's okay for me have a differing opinion than you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>
<<<SNIPPED>>>

Quoted:

Period.

They are:

Convicted violent felons

and

Adjudicated mentally ill

Your opinion affects my rights. That's the difference. Cover it up with smoke and mirrors, but when it comes right down to it, your opinion supports and you enforce laws which infringe my rights.
Since you seem unwilling to come to grips with your position... I don't know really how to tell you that you are not on the side of freedom.
If you are present when someone attempts to sell a firearm to a just-released violent felon, would you use force against that someone in order to prevent that transfer?

ETA: I trimmed your post because you don't seem to want to answer a simple question. However, to alleviate your future whinging about it, I included all of your bullshit so everyone could see it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That, or using a specially developed chip/charge designed by DARPA, which would be forcibly implanted in the base of the skull of such individuals. When the Chip/Charge senses the subject is possessing firearm, it detonates the charge killing the subject by severing their spinal cord. Its like the one on Mission Impossible 3, but different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's nice...
Facetious... don't want to answer that question? I wonder why.
If you manage to come up with a plan which does not infringe the rights of anyone but felons... the whole of DU is waiting for your magic bullet. Every plan you support does not only affect felons.
Again, how do you plan to enforce it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Your opinion affects my rights. That's the difference. Cover it up with smoke and mirrors, but when it comes right down to it, your opinion supports and you enforce laws which infringe my rights.
Since you seem unwilling to come to grips with your position... I don't know really how to tell you that you are not on the side of freedom.
If you are present when someone attempts to sell a firearm to a just-released violent felon, would you use force against that someone in order to prevent that transfer?

ETA: I trimmed your post because you don't seem to want to answer a simple question. However, to alleviate your future whinging about it, I included all of your bullshit so everyone could see it.
View Quote

My opinion affects your rights?
Wow...I had no idea you gave me so much power over you...

I'm in St Louis Missouri. Missouri is currently (to my knowledge), the only state in the US where a Judge has ruled that due to a recent Constitutional Amendment ,(which I voted for), allows felons to possess firearms. Prosecutors in Missouri arent going to issue felons in possession cases until the legislature changes the law.

Read those three sentences again.

Now, please explain to me how my opinion regarding violent felons possessing firearms can affect your rights?
Seriously.
Right now, I'm in the one state where it's legally to be a felon in possession of a firearm, and a lowly street cop's personal opinion can affect your rights?
Are you on drugs?

Add to the fact that your avatar states you're in Wisconsin...

As far as smoke and mirrors go, I've been crystal clear about my position, and been consistantly so.
However, for clarity's sake, here it is again:

It's my opinion that convicted violent felons and the mentally ill should not be allowed to possess firearms.

Actions have consequences. There are some actions which are so serious that they should have serious and life long repercussions & consequences.
Being a violent felon is one of these. A person convicted of a violent felony acted in such a way that they at the very least they threatened serious physical injury or even death to another person. Under those circumstances, the use of deadly force is allowed in self defense by anyone,( not just cops). A person can use lethal force to defend themselves or another if they are in reasonable fear of death or serious physical injury.

And these convicted violent felons are the ones you're defending and getting so riled up about me stating they should not be allowed to possess firearms?
They had a choice. They made it. There are consequences for their actions.
Charles Manson is dealing with those consequences.
Ted Bundy dealt with those consequences.
John Wayne Gacey dealt with those consequences.
Richard Ramirez dealt with those consequences.
Scott Peterson is dealing with those consequences.
Trayvon Martin found out about those consequences.
Michael Brown found out about those consequences.
George Isaac Jones is dealing with those consequences.

All of those people and many many more made a choice, and they get to live with their choices.
The mentally ill have no choice, they're just sick.

You state I'm not on the side of freedom.
I disagree.
I've donated money to Nolo's lawsuits against the NFA, I've donated money to the Colorado Recall Elections, I'm an NRA life member, I've donated money and time to Conservative candidates here in Missouri, and I've contacted my Representative in Congress and my Senators regarding many Conservative issues from Keystone, Immigration, firearms, the IRS, Benghazi, and Fast & Furious.

What have you done?

Your hypothetical scenario about someone transferring a firearm to a recently released violent felon...

There is no Pre-Crime Bureau.

No crime is committed until the felon is in possession of a firearm.
Additionally, you seemed to have completely forgotten that I'm in Missouri, where this was just decided.

I've seen several of your posts since you've been a member here, and I've agreed with many of them.
But you've gone completely off the deep end on this one...

I gotta ask... Are you a convicted violent felon?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you manage to come up with a plan which does not infringe the rights of anyone but felons... the whole of DU is waiting for your magic bullet. Every plan you support does not only affect felons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's nice...

It was a stupid question.
So is this one.
Especially since I've answered it already in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So is this one.

View Quote

No, the question cuts to the heart of the issue.

There are, at the absolute lowest estimates, as many guns currently in circulation in the US as there are people.

How are you planning to disarm the undesirables without infringing on the rights of everyone else?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey Max...I posted this in Legal:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_6/1714767_Constitutional_question.html

Posted: 2/28/2015 4:54:19 AM CST
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
The answer to your question is yes, Texas or any other state can restrict your access to firearms for any felony and certain gross misdemeanor criminal convictions. However, you can always petition the Court for restoration of your firearms’ ownership and possession rights. Consult with a good private practice criminal law attorney on how you can go about doing this.

Wrong. North Carolina Supreme Court has ruled on it - Britt v. State (488A07) and Missouri's new constitutional amendment states only convicted violent felons, which our SC has a case in front of it now - Missouri v. Merritt, SC9406.

And this from 22nd circuit court - St. Louis, Mo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/577699_State_vs__Robinson_571_070_1_Unconstitutional_as_applied___22nd_Circuit_St__Louis___Good_Read.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are, at the absolute lowest estimates, as many guns currently in circulation in the US as there are people.

How are you planning to disarm the undesirables without infringing on the rights of everyone else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is this one.

There are SIGNIFICANTLY more firearms owners in the US than there are LEO's, including Federal, State, & local.

I think I'm beginning to understand what you're hinting at...
Besides trolling, you're asking if I'm in favor of going door to door confiscate firearms and/or illegal 4th Amendment violations.

The answer is no, I am not, and have never been in favor of those actions and have not advocated them in the slightest.
I also wouldnt participate in those actions.

This is a stupid question yet again because I've answered it at least three times previously in this thread. But for the last time here goes:

Enforcement should continue as it already is. When a convicted violent felon is stopped, and found to be in posession of a firearm, they are given additional charges.
The same way it's happening now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm in St Louis Missouri. Missouri is currently (to my knowledge), the only state in the US where a Judge has ruled that due to a recent Constitutional Amendment ,(which I voted for), allows felons to possess firearms. Prosecutors in Missouri arent going to issue felons in possession cases until the legislature changes the law.

Now, please explain to me how my opinion regarding violent felons possessing firearms can affect your rights?
Seriously.
Right now, I'm in the one state where it's legally to be a felon in possession of a firearm, and a lowly street cop's personal opinion can affect your rights?
Are you on drugs?

As far as smoke and mirrors go, I've been crystal clear about my position, and been consistantly so.

It's my opinion that convicted violent felons and the mentally ill should not be allowed to possess firearms.

Actions have consequences. There are some actions which are so serious that they should have serious and life long repercussions & consequences.
Being a violent felon is one of these. A person convicted of a violent felony acted in such a way that they at the very least they threatened serious physical injury or even death to another person. Under those circumstances, the use of deadly force is allowed in self defense by anyone,( not just cops). A person can use lethal force to defend themselves or another if they are in reasonable fear of death or serious physical injury.

And these convicted violent felons are the ones you're defending and getting so riled up about me stating they should not be allowed to possess firearms?

All of those people and many many more made a choice, and they get to live with their choices.

I disagree.
I've donated money to Nolo's lawsuits against the NFA, I've donated money to the Colorado Recall Elections, I'm an NRA life member, I've donated money and time to Conservative candidates here in Missouri, and I've contacted my Representative in Congress and my Senators regarding many Conservative issues from Keystone, Immigration, firearms, the IRS, Benghazi, and Fast & Furious.

What have you done?

Your hypothetical scenario about someone transferring a firearm to a recently released violent felon...

Additionally, you seemed to have completely forgotten that I'm in Missouri, where this was just decided.

I've seen several of your posts since you've been a member here, and I've agreed with many of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.
Are you on drugs?

I disagree.

What have you done?

Speaking of bullshit, why not leave your post as is?
I gotta ask... Are you a convicted violent felon? Was the situation you brought up earlier about your "buddy", really about you?

You've gone off the deep end.

As for the rest of your post:
What is your opinion? How does your opinion affect my rights? How do you plan on enforcing an arms ban for prohibited persons? Is there a law against transferring a firearm to a convicted felon?
I think that about covers the points we're discussing. Sooo... let's take a look at your posts in this thread.
Click To View Spoiler

You see the confusion?
Just, uh, out of curiosity... do you have any substantial numbers/data/statistics to support a claim of 'violent felons are a danger to society if they legally purchase firearms'?

Oh, by the way, you've got my avatar confused with somebody else's. And no, despite your accusation, I'm not a felon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What is your opinion? How does your opinion affect my rights? How do you plan on enforcing an arms ban for prohibited persons? Is there a law against transferring a firearm to a convicted felon?
I think that about covers the points we're discussing. Sooo... let's take a look at your posts in this thread.
Click To View Spoiler

You see the confusion?
Just, uh, out of curiosity... do you have any substantial numbers/data/statistics to support a claim of 'violent felons are a danger to society if they legally purchase firearms'?

Oh, by the way, you've got my avatar confused with somebody else's. And no, despite your accusation, I'm not a felon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.
Are you on drugs?

I disagree.

What have you done?

I gotta ask... Are you a convicted violent felon? Was the situation you brought up earlier about your "buddy", really about you?

Click To View Spoiler

You see the confusion?

Thank you  for posting up everything you’ve done to further gun rights and freedom in response to my previous post. I especially appreciate the fact that you state I’m not on the side of freedom, and then walk away from what I’ve done to further gun rights with no response of your own. Don’t worry, I’m sure no one noticed.

I edited the post because I realized I goofed and it was GTFoxy who posted the story about his buddy, not you.
And it wasnt an accusation, merely a question based on your posting in this thread.

Thank you for showing that I've been consistent in my position in this thread and havent hidden anything. No smoke and mirrors here....

I’m going to answer your questions in the order they were asked. Your questions are highlighted in blue to make somewhat easier to read.

"If you've been convicted of a violent felony, you've already demonstrated that you have poor impulse control and cannot be trusted with a firearm around others."
Cannot be trusted? Are you saying that this is a public safety issue?

What else would it be? Why are pedophiles prohibited from operating or working at a daycare? Is it a public safety issue? Or is it for the safety of the pedophile?

"Please explain why violent felons should be allowed to own firearms."
What does that even mean? 'Allowed' seems to be the word you're using which is confusing to you. The proper question is 'Should the state continue to restrict the Second Amendment rights of convicted violent felons?' If your answer is yes, then what must the state [span style='font-style: italic;']do[/span] in order to effect that?

It’s a pretty straight forward question…that wasn’t answered by anyone. Your rephrased version of my question asks a different question, but one that works for the discussion at hand. Regarding what must the state do to in order to effect that? Real simple, prosecute prohibited persons who are caught with firearms. What else would you expect? This is exactly what I’ve been stating every single time its been asked in this thread. Still havent changed my position or answer. Doesn’t matter how many times you ask me the same question, my answer is the same.  

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "We already accept that there are certain restrictions on firearms ownership , ie mentally ill. Why should this be any different?"
Who is 'we'? I certainly do not. Why would you post 'we'? It's an appeal to authority... as though in order to justify your opinion, you need to fall back on the presumed opinion of a majority of gun owners. It's a logical crutch, because your argument doesn't stand on it's own.

So, just to be clear…You ARE advocating that the mentally ill should be allowed to own and possess firearms? Please clarify.

My statement was not designed to be an appeal to authority, just a statement which supported my position. If you are in fact advocating that the mentally should be allowed to possess/own firearms, you are the very first person I’ve met who states so. And using supporting statements for a position is backing up a position. You can call it a crutch all you want. But without supporting statements a position is just a claim. Much like if I claimed that Obama was in my opinion the best president in history. Without supporting statements, such an opinion has no basis for being.  For the record, I do not, feel Obama is the best president in history, I feel he is the worst president in history due to his Unconstitutional actions. But it works as an example.

You then follow with repeating your claim that violent felons shouldn't be 'allowed' to possess firearms:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Explain why a violent felon should get their right to possess a firearm back."
- "Explain why a person convicted of kidnappper/rapist/murderer/Assault 1st should be allowed to possess firearms."
- "However, someone convicted of a violent felony should not have their rights restored at the completion of their sentence."
Again, you advocate using the power of the state to continue to restrict the rights of violent felons. It is your position which must be defended, yet your responses are essentially asking everyone else 'Well, why [span style='font-style: italic;']not[/span]?' The burden is on the advocate or user of force to justify that force. That's why I keep asking the questions about the hypothetical scenarios, and asking about how you plan to enforce your position of 'Violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms.'

Let me get this straight…you demand I support my opinion, but when I do so, it’s just a logical crutch? Well okay then….It’s obvious you really don’t want to hear a dissenting opinion. I’m supposed to just accept the fact that you feel my opinion is wrong and I’m not allowed to defend it so that you can then beat on me for not defending my wrong opinion?
I suggest you head over to DU, they tend to ban folks who dissent from the mob. You should fit right in.

Here is the actual language of the amendment:

See also: Section 23, Article I, Missouri Constitution
The measure amended Section 23 of Article I of the Missouri Constitution to read as:[1]

Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction.[6]

So you can plainly see that the legislature did NOT intend for this to allow convicted violent felons and the mentally to own or possess firearms.

Of course, when asked if States do not have a "right" to violate the Bill of Rights, you post this:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Agreed"
Which doesn't mean anything at all if you believe that your position does not affect anyone's rights, so that's a wash. Might as well have not posted that at all.

Once again, you don’t like me posting a response….Who made you the Supreme Dictator of GD?

You then conflate freedom and probation/parole...
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "They get put on parole for several months to years, depending on the severity of their crimes. If they violate the terms of their probation, they go back to prison.
The terms of their probation are set by the Judge and vary from individual to individual."
That's irrelevant. There is a distinct difference between release from prison at the end of a sentence, and release from prison if the convicted person agrees to certain behavior in order to remain outside of prison walls during the time they would normally be in prison: there is no guarantee of parole, or don't parole boards mean anything? What happens when if someone refuses probation or parole? You need to keep to the point, which is convicted persons who are released from prison at the completion of their sentence.

Here, you are correct. The vast majority of felons in prison do agree to go on parole as a condition for early release. I do know a few (one actually, a professional body builder who went to prison on drug charges…his name escapes me at the moment, but I’m sure there are a few more) who chose to stay in prison and serve the full sentence rather accept the conditions required of parole. That’s a pretty rare occurrence in general and rarer still for felons convicted of  violent crimes. However, you are correct. My apologies.

Of course, you then immediately trash your entire position
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "As far as legally purchasing a firearm making a person more prone to violent behavior goes.... No, I dont feel that to be the case."
Which means that if it were legal for violent felons to purchase firearms all will-nilly like, there would be exactly zero increase in violent behavior. But earlier you posted that:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "you have poor impulse control and cannot be trusted with a firearm around others."
So which is it? Violent felons are a danger to others, but legally purchasing a firearm doesn't change that?

Wow…you’re really grasping here….

Yes, violent felons are a danger to others and legally purchasing a firearm doesn’t change that.

Violent felons are a danger to others which they have demonstrated by their actions which made them violent felons in the first place. Their decisions and their actions are make them a danger to others, their own history shows that.

A firearm is an inanimate object. It can be dangerous in the hands of a violent or mentally ill individual, just like a knife, a hammer, a chainsaw, or a car. Yet none of these things make a person violent.

Would allowing a convicted violent felon to legally purchase a firearm increase violent behavior? I don’t think so. I think those people are already violent and predisposed to being violent. Continuing to not allow them to possess or own firearms just lessons the number of individuals those can be violent towards in a short span of time.

You then continue to contradict yourself in your very next post.
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "You make a strong a valid point. Where in the Constitution does it grant the Federal Govt the power to deny the right to possess a firearm to the mentally ill?"
Holy shit. That a pretty good Gorram point. But then...
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "For the record, I believe that everyone who is [span style='font-style: italic;'][span style='text-decoration: underline;']not mentally ill or a violent felon[/span][/span] should be able own a newly manufactured machine gun if they so desire."
Emphasis added. Well, there went that. 'Fuck it, I can't find in the Constitution where it says this, but I believe in this infringement anyways.'

This was taken from the 3rd page, 15th post of the page. I was responding to 1Andy2:

“Federally speaking, which part of the Constitution grants the Federal government the power to deny rights to "free" people?

You could argue that disarming people for the purpose of putting them in a prison for other crimes is "necessary and proper" to carry out the defined constitutional mandate inherent in those laws the person broke.

But so far as I can find, it is nowhere given to the Federal government to ban the possession of items based on societal risk.  We as gun owners royally fucked up by conceding that authority without a fight.”

I stated “You make a strong a valid point.

Where in the Constitution does it grant the Federal Govt the power to deny the right to possess a firearm to the mentally ill?

Should the mentally ill be allowed to own firearms?

I dont pretend to have all the answers, much less the right ones for any given situation.

However, IMO, there are lines that should not be crossed, and those that cross those lines should have a serious punishment that reflects the seriousness of the crime.

For the record, I believe that everyone who is not mentally ill or a violent felon should be able own a newly manufactured machine gun if they so desire.
FWIW, I've donated to Nolo's case against the NFA.

I dont expect that to change minds or win hearts....but that happens to be what I believe.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately as the case may be), I'm not God, and I'm not the POTUS, all though it's hard to argue that I would be capable of doing a worse job than the current POTUS.…”

Way to cherry pick my post to support your agenda….

In the United States at the time of the ratification of the Constitution, the mentally ill were confined by chains in prisons (with prisoners) and often beaten.  In 1794, Pennsylvania repealed the death penalty for all offenses except first degree murder. This was the first time the death penalty had been curtailed in the United States.

State mental hospitals were the first formal system of public care for the
mentally ill in the United States. Such institutions were created in response
to criticism of the inhumanity of “outdoor relief” and the practice of incarcerating
the insane in local almshouses and jails. In contrast to the pattern
of physical abuse, neglect, and ridicule that characterized these settings, the
early mental hospitals were championed as repositories of hope and humane
care for the mentally ill (Morrissey, Goldman, & Kierman, 1980).
While state mental hospitals were started with lofty goals of being more
humane, they rapidly became transformed into something quite different.
Massive waves of European immigration and the growing belief in the incurability
of insanity further accelerated the transformation of state hospitals
from small, intimate, therapeutically oriented “asylums” to large, impersonal,
custodially oriented “human warehouses” (Morrissey, Goldman, & Kierman,
1980, p. 2).

http://www.life.arizona.edu/docs/ra-section/ability-hist.pdf

This was all going on when the Constitution was being ratified, and was in full knowledge of  the founders.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.timeline.php?timelineID=000025

1775 - Death Penalty Used in All 13 US Colonies at Outbreak of American Revolution

By the start of the American Revolution, the death penalty was used in all 13 colonies. Rhode Island was the only colony that did not have at least 10 crimes punishable by death. The colonies had "roughly comparable death statutes which covered arson, piracy, treason, murder, sodomy, burglary, robbery, rape, horse-stealing, slave rebellion, and often counterfeiting. Hanging was the usual sentence. Rhode Island was probably the only colony which decreased the number of capital crimes in the late 1700's."

1787 - Founding Fathers Allow for Death Penalty When Writing Constitution

"To most constitutional lawyers there seems little doubt that the Founding Fathers intended to allow for the death penalty in drawing up the US Constitution of 1787. Not only did certain provisions of the Constitution - such as the Fifth Amendment - expressly allow for the taking of life, but others - such as the Eighth Amendment - were deliberately phrased in ambigious ways that suggested even if certain forms of punishment could be banned (such as crucifixions or beheadings) the basic principle of government executions remained permissible if individual states and the federal government wished to legislate for these."

Robert Singh, PhD  Governing America: The Politics of a Divided Democracy, 2003

At least one signer of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush, opposed the death penalty. He is often cited as the political forebearer of the abolitionist movement.

Doesn’t the imprisonment of the mentally ill violate their 4th Amendment rights?
Arson, Robbery, Rape, Burglary, and counterfeiting are not currently crimes punishable by death. But they were at the time if the ratification of the Constitution.

Were the mentally ill allowed to possess/own firearms when they were being incarcerated or held in a mental institution? Why not?

Killing people convicted of violent felonies back then prevented them from owning/possessing firearms. Now days, many violent felons are released back into society. I still don’t feel they should have their rights to own and possess firearms restored.

OH WAIT >>>
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Fortunately, (or unfortunately as the case may be), I'm not God, and I'm not the POTUS... "
You admit that your position doesn't jive with the Constitution? Or not? Never mind, I guess that statement is a wash as well. Too ambiguous. Seems to be a trend.
So let us see how you feel about the 4473? Now we're in the realm of affecting not just violent felons' rights, but everyone else's as well.

Where in this thread have I been ambiguous?
I don’t like the 4473. Now what?

"Are the mentally ill allowed to currently own firearms? No. It even asks on the 4473 if you have been adjudicated to be mentally ill."
Hmmm... can't tell what your position is from that. Not that your response on the 4473 matters, as there is still the background check to verify that. Yes, yes, I know that you can get in trouble for falsifying information on a federal form, in addition to attempting to purchase a firearm in violation of the current law.
But then to answer the question of "How do you plan on effecting such restrictions once those oh-so-dangerous felons are freed?", your answer is:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Enforcement actions....the same as current."
So a whole bunch of talk about how the collective should not be punished for the individual, but you agree with mandatory federal licensure to conduct business selling/transferring firearms, mandatory federal forms prior to the sale/transfer of firearms, and mandatory background checks by licensed businesses prior to the sale/transfer of firearms. All of which affect more than just that violent felon, [span style='font-style: italic;']who even in your own words[/span]:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "As far as legally purchasing a firearm making a person more prone to violent behavior goes.... No, I dont feel that to be the case."

Here you are making wild ass assumptions about what I’ve posted and putting words in my mouth again. Where did I state that I agree with and support mandatory federal licensure to conduct business selling/transferring firearms, mandatory federal forms prior to the sale/transfer of firearms, and a mandatory background check by licensed business prior to the sale or transfer of a firearm? Where in this entire forum have I ever advocated such things?

I’d say I’ll wait for you to find such instances, but since I’ve never made such statements, you’re not gonna find them.

Quoted:[/span] "There is no stopping. There is only punishment after the fact. Same as currently."
Wait, so that means you don't agree with the 4473, or mandatory background checks, licensure, etc? What enforcement do you advocate? You're going to need to be explicitly specific, as your statements in this thread have been decidedly less than clear.

Just like I said before. I’ve been crystal clear and consistent throughout this entire thread and my adult life with regard to firearms. Your inability to comprehend the written word is not my fault, but you’re making it my problem. It’s getting old as is your repeated liable by claiming I said something when I did not.

Here's the first actual ray of hope in your posts in this thread:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Why should a person completely unrelated have their rights impacted because of the actions of an individual?"
I hope your answer is that that unrelated person should not have their rights affected. However, there are current enforcement actions by the state which do impact my rights, and those infringements are currently justified under the guise of 'the mentally ill and violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms'. If that sounds familiar, it's because that is your position. You've spent the entire thread arguing for that position, but attempting to disavow the actual impact that position has on the ordinary Joe looking to buy a firearm. Well, no, not really. You did state that agreed with:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "Enforcement actions....the same as current."
and that 'well regulated' somehow justified infringements. So I guess I don't really know what your position is at all.

Wait….."infringements are currently justified under the guise of 'the mentally ill and violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms". If that sounds familiar, it's because that is your position. You've spent the entire thread arguing for that position…I thought I’d been hiding behind smoke and mirrors or being unclear about my position in this thread on this matter? Which is it? Am I hiding behind smoke, mirrors, and ambiguous statements regarding my position or have been arguing for prohibiting the mentally ill and convicted violent felons from owning and possessing firearms?  
The only way prohibiting the mentally ill and or convicted violent felons from owning and possessing firearms would affect you is if you were either a convicted violent felon or mentally ill. You’ve already stated that you’re not a felon, and I’m beginning to wonder if you’re mentally ill or not based solely on your responses in this thread. I’m not going to ask though as I doubt you’d answer truthfully if you were.

I’ve already shown that some infringements were ongoing at the time of the Founders and the ratification of the Constitution. I’m not advocating something radical or revolutionary.

Continuing on... now you've fallen back on 'Well, that just your opinion, and that's just my opinion.'
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "I just have my beliefs, and you have yours."
Translation: I'm sick of defending my position, so I'm just going to call it a belief/opinion. Of course, I should have seen that coming:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree."
And again:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "You've got your line of thought, I've got mine."

My third post in this thread, (Page 2 9th post of the page) is a reply to a Spiffums “I'm of the opinion that if you've served your time and have repaid your debt to society, that all your rights should be magically returned to you upon release from custody just like they are magically taken away upon entering custody.”

My responding to his opinion was my opinion. Had I realized that anyone would become completely unhinged at me posting my opinion of something in GD, I would have taken pains to ensure I was more clear. My apologies for assuming that it was easily understood. I should not have assumed you would understand what I meant. Obviously you get confused when I post quite clearly and repeatedly that I feel that convicted violent felons and the mentally should not be allowed to possess/own firearms.

Hold on, what about these two statements?
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "My like or dislike of a person does not affect how I enforce the law." and "Those are issues for the legislatures and the Judges to visit....not me."
That's actually kind of disturbing. Just follow orders much? I'm not being facetious at all.. you posted "Enforcement actions....the same as current." What else am I supposed to think?

So, now I’m a Nazi? Godwin’s Law asserts itself in the 4th page of this thread….awesome.  I happily admit that I don’t let my personal opinion of a person affect how I enforce the law. Justice is supposed to be blind, remember? I can honestly state after this thread, that I don’t particularly like you. But if you needed an officer to take a report or respond for some incident, and I wound up being the responding officer, I would treat you just the same as I would treat anyone else. I don’t specifically stop cars with Obama or Democrat bumper stickers on them and cite them for things I let drivers with cars bearing NRA and Gadsen Flag stickers off with a warning. If my efforts to treat people equally are a cause of concern for you, I’d suggest you seek help.

So what are you actually willing to do regarding enforcing the current law?
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "When a felon was stopped and found with a gun, they were arrested and charged as being a felon in possession of a firearm. I'm not proposing to do anything different in that regard.
Regarding what force are you willing to use against a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Whatever force is necessary to effect an arrest. That is entirely up to the convicted violent felon in your hypothetical situation. Would I arrest a convicted violent felon in possession of a firearm? Hell yes."
You fail to see my point. When the felon was released, they did not possess a firearm. How did they get one (or intend to)? Who transferred a firearm to them? My question revolves around [span style='font-style: italic;']that[/span] transfer. Now, unless you've followed that violent felon around until the transfer, you don't know if the transferee is a violent felon. This is why I used the scenario with Bob, Frank, and Carl. Would you use force to prevent that transfer until you verified (as Bob) that the transferee was not a violent felon? Further, suppose you recognize the transferee as a violent felon. Are you seriously saying that the transferor would walk away consequence-free? That the only force you would use would be against the violent felon now in possession of a firearm? That the person who assisted in the completion of a crime has no threat of force (by the state) against him at all? What enforcement are you talking about and who is affected by it?

I failed to see your point because it wasn’t particularly clear to me. I can only assume that it wasn’t clear to anyone else either because no one, (not even yourself) chimed in until  now to explain what you meant.

In your hypothetical scenario, the felon would have to obtained the firearm illegally. Specifically how they obtained it is not the issue. If a liquor store sells a bottle of vodka to a man, and the man drinks it until he is drunk and then proceeds to get behind the wheel and crash his car into another vehicle and kills an occupant of the other vehicle, is it the liquor store’s fault the drunk killed someone while doing something illegal?

No.

If I don’t recognize the felon as being a violent felon, why would I use force to prevent a transfer? If I recognized the felon as being a violent felon, would the transferee walk away consequence free? Unless I prove definitively that the transferee knew the other person was a prohibited person, yes. If I recognize Frank as a convicted violent felon, and Frank is trying to purchase a gun from Carl. If Frank tells Carl, “Hey I’m a convicted violent felon and prohibited from owning and possessing guns, but I really wanna buy that Hi Point”, and Carls sells the gun to him anyway, and I can prove it via my department issued body camera….then yeah, Carl’s going to face some consequences. If Carl had no idea Frank was a prohibited person, why would he face consequences?

Of course, this is all moot, really, because you go on to advocate for prohibited person categories:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "if I were the King of the United States, I would do things differently:"
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "2...Prohibited persons would include convicted violent felons, and those who have been adjudicated mentally ill."

So here I am again, explaining very clearly and carefully who I feel should be a prohibited person. Where is your confusion? Where is the smoke, where are the mirrors? Where am I vague?

and then you advocate, not something differently, but for basically the current FFL/NICS system.
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "4...There would be a federal database of prohibited persons which FFL's would run a person's name against to see if they were a prohibited person. This database would be open for non FFL's to check against as well. It would not be an openly view-able database, information would have to be entered into it in order to get a response. The information would include a person's name, DOB, driver's license number, and SSN. Hits return the information that the person is prohibited. No response means not a prohibited person."
Clearly, you support laws which impact persons who are not violent felons. Not only do you support them, if you had absolute power ("if I were the King") to get rid of them, you'd STILL keep them. This is why I ask the Bob, Frank, and Carl question. Frank the FFL is just running his business. Carl the customer is just looking to get a firearm. You, as Bob the background checker, with no violent felon in sight, threaten the imprisonment of both Frank and Carl if they don't comply with your transfer approval scheme. Yes, I said [span style='font-style: italic;']your[/span] scheme. You decided to own it when you advocated for it "if [you] were King."

Did you miss the 2nd to last sentence where I stated I was just spit balling here? Cause I think you did.  But good job leaving it out because it just doesn’t support your theory that I’m a totalitarian anti gun Nazi hiding behind smoke, mirrors, and vague responses.

Where in that did I threaten imprisonment for both Frank and Carl if they didn’t comply with my scheme?

But of course, you don't want to admit to that, defaulting again to your crutch:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "It's okay to have a differing opinion than me. Just like it's okay for me have a differing opinion than you."
And I get that. But you enforce your opinion with force at the behest of the state. My opinion doesn't use force at all. If my opinion were the law of the land, you would not be affected. Your rights would not be infringed. I cannot say the same about your opinion. Neither can you. Yes, I've personalized this down to me and you, but now it's time to expand it back to the bigger picture. You, and people who think and [span style='font-style: italic;']vote[/span] like you, most definitely impact my rights. Since we're talking about the Second Amendment, impact=infringe.

This is where you clearly demonstrate you have absolutely no idea what happens in law enforcement. My opinion is my opinion. My opinion doesn’t affect how I treat people. I don’t enforce MY OPINION on people while wearing a badge and at the behest of the state. Hypothetically, if it were my opinion that you were an asshole, and that all assholes should go to jail and get their cars towed away because they’re assholes, that’s not going to fly. I’m going to get fired, and sued, and you’d win in court because my opinion is not enforceable law.

Now, you also state that if your opinion was the law of the land, it would not affect me. Unfortunately, you cannot definitively state that. You cant state with 100% certainty that a convicted violent felon or a mentally ill person who legally purchased a gun wont cause me or my family, or anyone else harm.  I’m not seeing a way where prohibiting the mentally ill and convicted violent felons from possessing and/or owning firearms impacts you in the slightest…unless you are a convicted violent felon, or mentally ill…..or want to sell/transfer firearms to either of those two types of individuals. You’ve already stated that you’re not a felon….

So how does this end? Here's a pretty good way:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "I disagree with violent felons and the mentally ill being allowed to possess firearms. You and several other people feel differently. Ok. So we disagree. Now what? "
Now what? You mind your own business and leave me alone, and I mind my own business and leave you alone. You think whatever you want, and I think whatever I want. You keep your actions from interfering with my rights, and I keep my actions from interfering with yours. How about them apples?

Sounds great! You have finally posted something I agree with in this thread! I’ve stated several times how my opinion wont affect you unless you are a convicted violent felon or mentally ill. If you plan on selling firearms to convicted violent felons or the mentally ill, you have some issues if my opinion were to become law. But I seriously doubt that will happen since I don’t intend to become a legislator or a Judge.

More of the same:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span] "What I stated was my opinion, not what I'm stating is right. You have a different opinion. I dont feel your opinion is right. Yay for both of us."
Crutch.
- "That means I enforce the laws, I dont get to interpret them."
Just following orders.
- "I dont make the rules, I just get to put people in time out for violating the rules."
Just following more orders.
- "Shit, I'd be deliriously happy if this were to go to SCOTUS and be ruled as an infringement on Constitutional Rights."
Contradicting yourself from how you'd like things to be if you were King.

So….I’m a simple Nazi who relies on logic crutches and hypocrisy to stumble through discussions?

"As far as you disliking me or my opinion, feel free to do so."
Gebus...
- "Its America, you have the right to disagree all your little heart desires."
The disagreement is fine. Nobody has a problem with it. However, you [span style='font-style: italic;']vote[/span] how you [span style='font-style: italic;']think[/span]. And you support the current FFL/NICS scheme of infringements in order to enforce your opinion that violent felons and mentally ill 'should not be allowed to possess firearms'.

Jesus fucking Christ!!! You claim I hide behind smoke, mirrors and vague statements about my position here, and then spend God knows how long picking, and parsing my posts only show I’ve been consistently clear about my opinion and why I feel the way I do. When questioned about my opinion, I make supporting statements defending my position only to have you discount them as being logic crutches. You ultimately edit my posts in such ways to support you own logical fallacies and leaps to conclusion, and in some cases claim I state things which I do not. You’ve appointed yourself Head Arbiter and Supreme Dictator of GD. You wont let me defend my opinion with supporting statements and now I cant vote either? Holy Fucking 1st Amendment Tyrant! I cant express myself in GD, even if I abide by the CoC, because you disagree with my opinion?
You need help. Seriously.

You see the confusion?

Why would I have substantial numbers/data/statistics to support something that doesn’t exist? I’ll show you my have substantial numbers/data/statistics that support my opinion that violent felons are a danger to society if they are able to legally purchase firearms, right after you show me your have substantial numbers/data/statistics showing what the Unicorn population was and what specifically caused their extinction.

It is currently illegal for any felon to legally purchase a firearm, (violent or otherwise) everywhere in the US. A local Missouri Judge has just ruled that Constitutional Amendment 5 allows felons to possess firearms with no distinction. Since this was decided just last month, (Feb 2015) for the very first time in the United States, why would there be any have substantial numbers/data/statistics about violent convicted felons being a danger to society if they legally purchase firearms?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It's a felony of CCW without a permit in Missouri?
View Quote
Come to NJ, it's an easy 10 years

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
once you pay your debt to society all rights should be restored. if the felon is so dangerous give them the maximum sentence so they are not on the street.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mom did look in one direction. Probably because it is a one way street with the driver going the wrong way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thank you  for posting up everything you’ve done to further gun rights and freedom in response to my previous post. I especially appreciate the fact that you state I’m not on the side of freedom, and then walk away from what I’ve done to further gun rights with no response of your own. Don’t worry, I’m sure no one noticed.

I edited the post because I realized I goofed and it was GTFoxy who posted the story about his buddy, not you.
And it wasnt an accusation, merely a question based on your posting in this thread.

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.
Are you on drugs?

I disagree.

What have you done?

Click To View Spoiler

You see the confusion?

Click To View Spoiler

No, I'm not getting into an e-arfcom-penis measuring contest on who has more supported gun rights and who's opinion is therefore correct. It's a useless metric in this thread. It's like that guy who basically said he was a better person because the dollar amount he donated to to pro-veteran charities was more than other posters.
Click To View Spoiler
Well, I don't know much else to tell you. All I'm saying is that I'm willing to assume all responsibility for the protection of me and my family. I do not abdicate one shred of that duty to be used as the state as justification for the use of force on any other man. All for what? Owning or carrying a gun, as though that's somehow inherently evil? Nope, sorry, I don't buy into that at all.

I am actually curious what you'll next try to discount me as after: drug user, felon, mentally ill... you did go for the hat trick, so Bravo.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top