Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 6:38:58 PM EDT
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticized the intelligence community's mass surveilence of Americans at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday.

The libertarian-leaning senator said that he understood that intelligence agencies needed to be able to conduct surveillance on some to do their jobs, but accused the agencies of overreach and misleading Congress.

"But when the intelligence director lies to Congress, how are we to trust them?" he said.

"I say that your phone records are yours," he said. "I say that the phone records of law-abiding citizens are none of their damn business."

The senator's stance on mass surveillance may put him at odds with some other possible 2016 candidates. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) called the programs "hugely important" in a speech earlier this month.

LINK
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking communist. How dare he oppose the collection of personal information without a warrant! This is America, where freedom is being spied on for the safety of the government.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Walker/Paul 2016
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Walker/Paul 2016
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fucking communist. How dare he oppose the collection of personal information without a warrant! This is America, where freedom is being spied on for the safety of the government.
View Quote

I know. That's why I'm voting for Jeb Bush. Let's make a new dynasty!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
And I agree with him!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticized the intelligence community's mass surveilence of Americans at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday.

The libertarian-leaning senator said that he understood that intelligence agencies needed to be able to conduct surveillance on some to do their jobs, but accused the agencies of overreach and misleading Congress.

"But when the intelligence director lies to Congress, how are we to trust them?" he said.

"I say that your phone records are yours," he said. "I say that the phone records of law-abiding citizens are none of their damn business."

The senator's stance on mass surveillance may put him at odds with some other possible 2016 candidates. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) called the programs "hugely important" in a speech earlier this month.

LINK
View Quote
I wodnt vote for that closet lib Bush for dog catcher.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Any politician that says that the "safety of the American people" is his top priority might want to revisit his oath.  Nope... nothing in there about "safety".  There is, however, a little bit about the Constitution.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Jeb Bush's opinion on the matter:
"That requires responsible intelligence-gathering and analysis, including the NSA metadata program, which contributes to awareness of potential terrorist cells and interdiction efforts on a global scale," Bush said. "For the life of me, I don't understand [how] the debate has gotten off track, where we're not understanding and protecting—we do protect our civil liberties, but this is a hugely important program to use these technologies to keep us safe" LINK
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
And repeal obamacare

19,500 hits

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If that fucker keeps spouting common sense like that, he may just get himself elected to the presidency.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If that fucker keeps spouting common sense like that, he may just get himself elected to the presidency.
View Quote

If nothing else, he'll at least make a bunch of money
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Paul, Cruz or Walker. Please oh please don't let them be empty promises politicians.

I'm not holding my breath though.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Like every other speaker at CPAC, he was doing his level best to throw red meat at a ravenous audience. Good on him for working the room he found himself in (know your audience), but it's a room that's been lubed and warmed up for him.

I like the guy well enough, but I was disappointed in the lack of substance in his speech. It was ~20 minutes of platitudes, generic pseudo-libertarian talking points (even these were weaksauce to a hard core libertarian) and devoid of any nuanced thought.

At the end of the day, he's a politician - same as the rest of them. The radio talk show host (who gets paid to talk for a living) wasn't any better. I refuse to worship these guys, and I'm getting a little creeped out at the fanboism.

He also did that thing (they all did this), where he slowed his cadence and enunciated the shit out of his words, as an audible cue to the audience that now is the time to cheer. Pet peeve of mine. They all do this, so I'm not picking on Rand specifically.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
But the government listening to all of our calls keeps us safe, and if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like every other speaker at CPAC, he was doing his best to throw red meat at a ravenous audience. Good on him for working the room he found himself in (know your audience), but it's a room that's been lubed and warmed up for him.
View Quote

I'm not super concerned about that right now - He isn't running for Pres officially yet. When/If he does, I want to hear details and specifics, but for now platitudes are OK with me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like every other speaker at CPAC, he was doing his best to throw red meat at a ravenous audience. Good on him for working the room he found himself in (know your audience), but it's a room that's been lubed and warmed up for him.

I like the guy well enough, but I was disappointed in the lack of substance in his speech. It was ~20 minutes of platitudes, generic pseudo-libertarian talking points (even these were weaksauce to a hard core libertarian) and devoid of any nuanced thought.

At the end of the day, he's a politician - same as the rest of them. The radio talk show host (who gets paid to talk for a living) wasn't any better. I refuse to worship these guys, and I'm getting a little creeped out at the fanboism.

He also did that thing (they all did this), where he slowed his cadence and enunciated the shit out of his words, as an audible cue to the audience that now is the time to cheer. Pet peeve of mine. They all do this, so I'm not picking on Rand specifically.
View Quote

Yup, it was a show. And as far as showman go Jeb is the best of the bunch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not super concerned about that right now - He isn't running for Pres officially yet. When/If he does, I want to hear details and specifics, but for now platitudes are OK with me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's actually serious about being elected, prepare to be disappointed in what he'll be forced to do after he declares.

Do NOT put these guys on a pedestal - thats' my only message.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Paul, Cruz or Walker. Please oh please don't let them be empty promises politicians.

I'm not holding my breath though.  
View Quote

Walker has certainly kept his promises in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh look, he's willing to compromise our national security just so he can appeal to the dopertarian college fags
who are worried that the govt is going to know they're looking at gay prawn on their swanky little iPhones that
mommy bought them.

If you're not a terrorist or a criminal there's no reason to worry guys. jk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top