Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:13 PM EDT
Been thinking of a lever action 22lr for a while now.
I've handled the Henrys, and while they feel good, I know they are pretty much pot metal.
Anyway, would a new Golden Boy be a good choice, or should I look for a Marlin, Winchester, or Browning?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
a friend of mine has one and its a lot of fun to shoot. hes had it for about two years now w/o any problems
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely.  It is fun to shoot hits where it is aimed and feels good.   Plus it is made in America.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one. It was pretty neat, but I traded it for a 22 pistol with threaded barrel for suppressor needs.

Shot fine. The rear sight seemed to be the only weak point on it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't shot ours a whole lot but have no complaints. Very pretty gun that shoots well. Also have a 357/38 Big Boy and the engraved 44/40 Replica.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Solid gun.  No complaints.  I don't think of them s made with Pot Metal.  

If you don't mind the tube loading its great.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My friend has one and it's a blast to shoot. They are murder on water jugs at 100m.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought my son the Eagle Scout version.  They are gtg in my book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought my son one when he turned 13 (10 years ago).  We like it because it looks cool, is rugged and reliable, and it digests all varieties of .22 ammo to include the shorts, which are very quiet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm very happy with mine. It's very accurate but not more so than the standard. It's a pleasure to shoot and sure looks purty!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
They are an outstanding value. Several years ago, my wife saw Henry's commercials on the TV.

She said that she would like one. Because she is short, I got her a youth model for Christmas.

She loves it. I love it, even though the LOP is way to short for me. It is absolutely dead nuts accurate.

I was a poor excuse for an American because I had no lever actions in my safe. I have now remedied that. However, I am still pathetic because I have neither a 1911 nor a Garand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've handled the Henrys, and while they feel good, I know they are pretty much pot metal.
Anyway, would a new Golden Boy be a good choice, or should I look for a Marlin, Winchester, or Browning?
View Quote

Find an old Marlin 39.  You'll be happier.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

I have owned a 39 for 30 years.   It's an heirloom and so I bought a Henry (youth) to replace it as a handy, beater, 22LR Lever gun.

Front sight on the Henry snagged on a briar and fell off.  It was just luck that I found it when it fell (that sounded odd in the leaves).

Henry is not as accurate, although it still shoots well.

Balance and the action on the Marlin is better as well.

I really, really, wanted the Henry to be my 'go anywhere 22LR' but it's just not a Marlin 39.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We bought my GF's brother one. It's a solidly built gun. Pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ayup.

I have owned a 39 for 30 years.   It's an heirloom and so I bought a Henry (youth) to replace it as a handy, beater, 22LR Lever gun.

Front sight on the Henry snagged on a briar and fell off.  It was just luck that I found it when it fell (that sounded odd in the leaves).

I really, really, wanted the Henry to be my 'go anywhere 22LR' but it's just not a Marlin 39.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

TRG

This.  I was wanting a 22lr lever action rifle a few years back.  I went to the store to look at the Henry, but they happened to have a Marlin 39 Century Limited in there as well.  I played with the Henry, but the second I picked up the Marlin I knew which one I wanted to purchase.  I paid $525 for it, but as you said, it's of heirloom quality and something that I'd never sell. The Henry looks nice in appearance and had a $200 cheaper pricetag at the time (I think it was the standard Henry, not the Golden Boy), but the second you pick it up and compare the build quality to the likes of a Marlin 39 of yesteryear, the Henry is absolutely forgettable...

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my wife one for Christmas. The weather has been so bad that she has not shot it yet. I also have a winchester 9422M
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought three of them for my 7yo kids this past Christmas.  Fantastic plinkers.  Solidly built and the iron sights are great for teaching young ones basic marksmanship.  My daughter got her first "kill" with hers yesterday when a tree rat got too close.  Only ~10yds away, but I was proud of the headshot, regardless.

I thought I had enough .22LR in my vault to last the rest of my life, but they are going through my stash at an alarming rate.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
... bought one new a few years ago. Haven't shot it yet
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  It is fun to shoot hits where it is aimed and feels good.   Plus it is made in America.
View Quote

Correction-made in New York.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Never been shot...never will

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a .17hmr version. I took it back and got the .17 frontier version. The golden boy has a funky stock drop that was uncomfortable for me to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 1948 39a. It's never gonna be sold.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I own a Marlin 39D and a 39A and they are awesome guns.  The Henry is well worth the price and really accurate  I have a Goldenboy and also I bought a Henry Sierra.  No regrets  Awesome guns!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top