Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 2:20:21 PM EDT
I just tried to order from AIM Surplus and received an email stating that I must send them a copy of my drivers license in order for them to create an account and process the order.

Is this normal for AIM S.? Called and woman on the phone stated that they make all customers who purchase ammo send in a copy of their ID. Is this correct? Of all the online ammo purchases I have ever made, I have never had a company request a copy of my DL.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, this is their policy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, Widener's has the same policy.

I've been registered at both sites so long I don't remember the original drill, but I think it's the case.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, Aim and Wideners both, SG Ammo and Underwood do not do this.  My 4 favorite places to buy from.  Just send it in and you don't ever have to worry about it again.  Neckbeard anytime. Lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Purchase form a site that doesn't require your I.D.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather not have a copy of my DL in someone's files so I sent them a copy of my C&R FFL.  That worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have my IL Drivers License, my IL FOID, and my FFL03 on file with AIM.

They ship ammo and C&R guns to my front door.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Try ordering a 7 pack of lowers some time from them... tried to order a handful so my buddies and I could save on shipping. They called to ask the names of everyone that would be getting the lowers transferred to them, I told them it was not their concern just ship them to my FFL and he would do the paperwork.  They said it would 'aid in ATF compliance.'

I ended up buying lowers from somebody else.  

The ID for ammo thing doesn't bother me too much though. Quite a few companies require it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I would not buy from a website that requires ID for ammo. They don't need it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Does this policy only apply depending on the state you reside in, or is it a new policy in general? I have ordered bulk ammo on several occasions from AIM and have never been asked to provide ID.....just curious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I sent a copy of my license to carry and they were ok with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't have to send it in, you can upload it to your account on their site.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does this policy only apply depending on the state you reside in, or is it a new policy in general? I have ordered bulk ammo on several occasions from AIM and have never been asked to provide ID.....just curious.
View Quote

New people/ accounts.

I ordered some 5.56 Feb 20... had to upload a photo of my ID.

It just cleared verification and has been "processing" since Thursady. Hope you are not in a hurry.

My order from SG, ordered at the same time, arrived in 3 days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You must have added your ID a long time ago and forgot about it, go log into your account and edit your information, it should be listed there.

They ask it of every order as long as I can remember.... unless if you shopped there years upon years ago.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#16]

PSA doesn't require it either.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just tried to order from AIM Surplus and received an email stating that I must send them a copy of my drivers license in order for them to create an account and process the order.

Is this normal for AIM S.? Called and woman on the phone stated that they make all customers who purchase ammo send in a copy of their ID. Is this correct? Of all the online ammo purchases I have ever made, I have never had a company request a copy of my DL.

Thanks!
View Quote

Well you have to prove that you are old enough to legally buy the ammunition you want.
Do you expect them just to take YOUR WORD for it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
It's why I don't order from them either. SGAmmo is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

New people/ accounts.

I ordered some 5.56 last Monday... had to upload a photo of my ID.

It just cleared verification and has been "processing" since Friday. Hope you are not in a hurry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New people/ accounts.

I ordered some 5.56 last Monday... had to upload a photo of my ID.

It just cleared verification and has been "processing" since Friday. Hope you are not in a hurry.

Mine was cleared Monday/Tuesday... I'm still in processing....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well you have to prove that you are old enough to legally buy the ammunition you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

you have to be over 18 to have a credit card in your name, so that should cover rifle ammo at the least. No point in it imho.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

you have to be over 18 to have a credit card in your name, so that should cover rifle ammo at the least. No point in it imho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Not exactly 100% correct. You can use a gift credit card or you can be an authorized user (with your own card and name) and be far under 18 years old.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would not buy from a website that requires ID for ammo. They don't need it.
View Quote

Yes they do. I believe it is Ohio law and aim is located in Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I seem to recall that every online vendor I've bought ammo from has required a copy of my Drivers license.
But most have had a copy for years, so I just log in and buy what I want.
I just scanned it, and sent them  the .jpeg. years ago when I first registered.

Not a big deal, in my opinion.
no SS # on mine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

New people/ accounts.

It just cleared verification and has been "processing" since Thursady. Hope you are not in a hurry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New people/ accounts.

That makes sense.....new customers/accounts. I've been ordering from AIM for about 12 years, so they are very familiar with me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it possible just to take a photo of it with your phone and email it to them?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You must have added your ID a long time ago and forgot about it, go log into your account and edit your information, it should be listed there.

They ask it of every order as long as I can remember.... unless if you shopped there years upon years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I have never been asked to provide ID to any vendor I have ordered from......for neither lowers or ammo. I even ordered every box of xm193 from a vendor I have never ordered from last Thursday. I received my shipping notification about an hour ago...maybe it just varies by vendor?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it possible just to take a photo of it with your phone and email it to them?
View Quote

Yes....that's what I did a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I have a debit card that can act as a credit card since I was 15. So, no.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually, I have never been asked to provide ID to any vendor I have ordered from......for neither lowers or ammo. I even ordered every box of xm193 from a vendor I have never ordered from last Thursday. I received my shipping notification about an hour ago...maybe it just varies by vendor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This discussion is about AIM.  Not other vendors.

Some other vendors also ask for ID.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sitting here wondering how many people clicked in here thinking AIM has 855 in stock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It used to be the case at most online ammo places, more and more are just requiring adult signature on the UPS these days though.
View Quote

And if you have the UPS app, you can change the adult sig requirement and just have them leave it on porch.

Aim has mine, but I blacked out my license #.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to show proof of age if I buy ammo at wal mart even tho I am standing right in front of them and its way more than obvious I am way older than 21. I gave AIM
a scan of my DL years ago and have never had any kind of issue with them.  Amex on the other hand knows way tooo much about me and cant seem to keep a lid on our personal info....

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, on a brighter note, I decided to stop by Wally World this morning and discovered that they are making attempts to stop neckbearding, especially by LGS who buy it from them and mark it up....the clerk told me this is the reason why they marked all the ZQI boxes....all 51 boxes I bought had "Walmart" written in marker on them....

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And if you have the UPS app, you can change the adult sig requirement and just have them leave it on porch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It used to be the case at most online ammo places, more and more are just requiring adult signature on the UPS these days though.

With ammo that is just crazy talk!

I have mine shipped to work. But, last week, a one-in-a-million chance the fricking FedEx guy was new on the route and hand delivered 500 rounds to my boss at the front door versus the loading dock. He thought the box was his Amazon order or something and looked at the packing slip and headed right for my desk, and wasn't happy. Said no more ammo at work. I have another box coming this week too but it was already on order.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have mine shipped to work. But, last week, a one-in-a-million chance the fricking FedEx guy was new on the route and hand delivered 500 rounds to my boss at the front door versus the loading dock. He thought the box was his Amazon order or something and looked at the packing slip and headed right for my desk, and wasn't happy. Said no more ammo at work. I have another box coming this week too but it was already on order.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had a problem as you can't see it from the road and I don't live in an area that stuff is stolen off porches.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

lol every other site I've bought ammo from took my word for being above the legal age
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top