Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2015 2:04:47 PM EDT
Pretty interesting plot. Always fun to see how timelines could have been different.

I'd love to see a prequel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The book was better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one of the best, if not the most underrated, super hero movies of all time.

The Graphic novel that is based upon is even more "far out there" on the plot.  I like the movie better, but if you want to see the film in a different light, read the novel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read the graphic novel (liked it...okay enough...I'm really not a comic book guy). Never seen the movie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The book was better.
View Quote

did it show boobs ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've read the graphic novel (liked it...okay enough...I'm really not a comic book guy). Never seen the movie.
View Quote

If you've read the GN...avoid the movie
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Rorschach made the movie, imho.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME."
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME."
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool characters. But I really didnt care for it
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't care for the movie that much, but the main reasons I didn't like the movie have to do with them trying to cram 12 hours worth of material into a 3 hour movie. The actors, the sets, the costumes, etc were all pitch perfect... the problem was one of editing. Too much material to cover in too little time meant a LOT was left out or altered to fit the truncated plot. Watchmen needed to be a mini series or a series of movies instead of a one-off, but that was never going to happen.

The Ultimate Edition comes closer, but a lot of stuff is still left out and too many minute changes were made for me to lavish praise upon it.

Not a terrible movie, just a victim of trying to hit a very, very high mark with a can of creamed corn for a director.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Too much blue penis flopping around. Get some tights like a normal super hero would ya please.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Loved the comic and the movie.

If you haven't seen the director's cut, then you should definitely check it out.  The theatrical version was completely butchered to get under 2 hours.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
BIG BLUE DICK
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Watchmen is a good movie and comic book. My beef with it is the cynical rewriting of super heroes as cynical rapey drunk douchebags.
View Quote

Think it's trying to portray "superheroes" as being people too, with all the inherent faults thereof.

Also, you'd probably get pretty cynical if you dealt with the dregs of humanity day in and day out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
"...What's one more body among foundations?"

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I dug it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked the ending of the movie better than the book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool characters. But I really didnt care for it
View Quote

WAYYY too long and seemed forever to get to the plot climax which seemed pretty obvious about half way through.  

I am a superhero movie buff and I didnt care for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It struck me more as the libtard kind of "rewriting" of history where Columbus is an evil white enslaver etc Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and movie, just "sensed" a libtardy theme behind it, and it turns out Alan Moore is a Occupy/Anarchist/Witch kook, but a very talented one

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Watchmen is a good movie and comic book. My beef with it is the cynical rewriting of super heroes as cynical rapey drunk douchebags.

Think it's trying to portray "superheroes" as being people too, with all the inherent faults thereof.

Also, you'd probably get pretty cynical if you dealt with the dregs of humanity day in and day out.
It struck me more as the libtard kind of "rewriting" of history where Columbus is an evil white enslaver etc Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and movie, just "sensed" a libtardy theme behind it, and it turns out Alan Moore is a Occupy/Anarchist/Witch kook, but a very talented one

Yeah, fun movie but gave me a similar vibe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The book was better.
View Quote

No it wasn't.

The book and film are page for page but the film has a better ending.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I just remember the guy who announced to folks in the theater the movie sucked and shot himself.  That was like the ULTIMATE criticism!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That is one of the best, if not the most underrated, super hero movies of all time.

The Graphic novel that is based upon is even more "far out there" on the plot.  I like the movie better, but if you want to see the film in a different light, read the novel.
View Quote

Indeed. They took a very intricate and nuanced plot and made a fantastic flick out of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Film was great? Needed more of this though

Never mind wrong comic I thought it was from tales of the black freighter in the middle of watchmen

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome movie, Carla Gugino is so hot. She gets hotter with age.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It sucked.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Film was great? Needed more of this though

Never mind wrong comic I thought it was from tales of the black freighter in the middle of watchmen

http://i.imgur.com/C1OvTFp.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]

The movie seemed to drag on...I have it on DVD.

Slight thread drift...I thought the sound track was pretty awesome.  There were a couple of "songs" that were originally produced for the film Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance.  One is called Pruitt Igoe.

I had to watch that film back in about 1992 for a cognitive psychology class.

So after I saw The Watchmen I started digging around and figured out why the song was called Pruitt Igoe.

Pruitt Igoe was the name of a housing project  built in St. Louis.

It was an absolute disaster and was demolished with explosives in the 1970's.
Im
Slow motion video clips of the demo were included in the Koyaanisqatsi film.

Having grown up near St. Louis in the 1970's and 1980's, I knew nothing about the failed housing project.

To me, anyway, it is just another shining example of how liberals have this pie in the sky, overly optimistic view of how some humans should behave, and how it actually collides with the reality, and becomes a total failure of "central planning".
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The entire ending was an unnecessary departure from the book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The entire ending was an unnecessary departure from the book.
View Quote

It was a much needed improvement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#31]
The extended version/directors cut best IMHO.  

The Watchmen is my fav superhero movie, period.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I didn't care for the movie that much, but the main reasons I didn't like the movie have to do with them trying to cram 12 hours worth of material into a 3 hour movie. The actors, the sets, the costumes, etc were all pitch perfect... the problem was one of editing. Too much material to cover in too little time meant a LOT was left out or altered to fit the truncated plot. Watchmen needed to be a mini series or a series of movies instead of a one-off, but that was never going to happen.

r.
View Quote

Agreed. (same could said for WW Z)  

The most interesting aspects of the novel were the text features at the end of each chapter. How do we get to a 1985 where Nixon is still president and a Soviet invasion of Afghanistan almost sets off WWIII?

But alternate history requires an audience that knows history.

Oh. and the whole pirate subplot was absolutely worthless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just the Comedian. There were plenty of traditional do-gooders in the cast.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK
View Quote

Came to post that.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Came to post that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

Is this featured way more prominently in the movie than it is in the book? Because it comes up in every thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is this featured way more prominently in the movie than it is in the book? Because it comes up in every thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

Some arfcommers apparently just can't resist looking for the cock every time he's onscreen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

The only people who keep bringing it up are the ones who wish to play with it.  

Hey, whatever, I'm not judging, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Pardon the pun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

It does, doesn't it?  ARFCOM is populated by a demographic that fancies themselves modern-day Spartans while simultaneously be squeemish about male nudity and anything smacking of homo eroticism.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It does, doesn't it?  ARFCOM is populated by a demographic that fancies themselves modern-day Spartans while simultaneously be squeemish about male nudity and anything smacking of homo eroticism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Came to post that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

Big?

Looked like mine only a lot smaller
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Despite this forum's obsession with all things smurf schlong, Dr. Manhattan's nudity is actually a visual barometer for his disassociation with humanity. As he becomes more and more detached from mankind, he simply no longer gives a shit if he walks around with big jim and the blues brothers hanging out.

It is one of the plethora of subtle "hiding in plain sight" allegories of the comic book that were more or less mishandled for the movie. The same goes for the Black Freighter "story within a story"... it is not a simple story about a captain going home, it is an insight into the coming ending scenario... of how a hero can become a villain without even knowing it and how good men can convince themselves to do evil.

As for Watchmen being "liberal", I've always seen it as a balance. You have various characters of various political and societal viewpoints coexisting with fairly equal "time" given to their opinions. IMO the movie imbalanced this with all the extraneous scenes added with Nixon and Iacocca, and the free energy for the world subplot that never existed in the comics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
He wasnt well liked by many, but I liked the Comedian..........especially his little dialogue when he jumps off in the middle of the street and starts firing tear gas into people's chest
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No no no. for that you need either the boys or wanted

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The extended version/directors cut best IMHO.  

The Watchmen is my fav superhero movie, period.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Never read the comics, but I like how they portray the superheroes not being perfect beings.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

http://youtu.be/mZDnLUxzk0w

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BIG BLUE DICK

Came to post that.

It gets stuck in your head (phrasing!) I went to see watchmen in the theater with a gal I know. I can still make her giggle uncontrollably just by shouting 'blue penis!' during a phone conversation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He wasnt well liked by many, but I liked the Comedian..........especially his little dialogue when he jumps off in the middle of the street and starts firing tear gas into people's chest
View Quote

I liked him too.  I like any character that beats up hippies.

He was deranged and enjoyed fighting and killing, but still held onto a little piece of his humanity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top