Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It all comes down to this:

Jackson truly loves Tolkein's work, but he doesn't "get" it.

He can't fathom the subtle temptation of the ring for Galadriel, so he "spookifies" it.

He doesn't understand the dynamics and flow of the battle of minas tirith, so he wings it.

He doesn't understand the siege of helm's deep, so he throws in a bunch of shit (and elves, but I repeat myself).

He doesn't understand dwarves, so he makes them a running joke.

He doesn't understand Thorin Oakenshield, so he makes something else up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A series that rivals LOTR as best fantasy movie series of all time. IMO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You mock, yet no other fantasy series has managed to bring to life the world, story, characters, and struggle as this has. Which is why I said in my opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mock, yet no other fantasy series has managed to bring to life the world, story, characters, and struggle as this has. Which is why I said in my opinion.

Harry Potter, as goofy as it was, was a far better fantasy series of movies than the Hobbit.

Compare the books?   No contest.   Rowling was a school child compared to Tolkein.    But the movies?  Sorry, the Hobbit blew.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ah, found the explanation in the Silmarillion:
"But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes."
View Quote

So there are at least two differing accounts (I believe there is another source with a different story too (going to have to dig for it).

I don't buy the elf bit- that would imply that they're immortal (in arda). It would also mean that upon death they would go to the halls of (whatever- can't remember my silmarillion well enough). Unless Melkor was so powerful that he could alter their fundamental elf-ness.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A dwarf-elf love triangle?

So much wasted potential...
View Quote

Realistically, it would have been more appropriate to have a three-way with Legolas, Gimli, and Galadriel [(the way Gimli fawns over her in the book(s)]  

ETA:

And don't get me started on leaving out merry ole' Tom Bombadil...they wouldn't have gotten very far without him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Shadow of Mordor video game cutscenes were better than the Hobbit movies, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't believe golem was a hobbit. I could be mistaken though

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't believe golem was a hobbit. I could be mistaken though

Quoted:
The first thing I want to say is part one when we were introduced to Golem. The movie made no reference that golem was a hobbit himself, he said he had never tasted hobbitsess before which is weird.

Hollywood perversion?

You are mistaken...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So there are at least two differing accounts (I believe there is another source with a different story too (going to have to dig for it).

I don't buy the elf bit- that would imply that they're immortal (in arda). It would also mean that upon death they would go to the halls of (whatever- can't remember my silmarillion well enough). Unless Melkor was so powerful that he could alter their fundamental elf-ness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes."

My understanding is that orcs are more or less immortal.  I don't recall any reference to orcs dying of anything besides violence.  As to their spirits, Morgoth apparently has enough evil spirits following him that they could be what inhabits the bodies. [shrugs]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked Evangeline Lilly
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It all comes down to this:

Jackson truly loves Tolkein's work, but he doesn't "get" it.

He can't fathom the subtle temptation of the ring for Galadriel, so he "spookifies" it.

He doesn't understand the dynamics and flow of the battle of minas tirith, so he wings it.

He doesn't understand the siege of helm's deep, so he throws in a bunch of shit (and elves, but I repeat myself).

He doesn't understand dwarves, so he makes them a running joke.

He doesn't understand Thorin Oakenshield, so he makes something else up.
View Quote

Probably right.  Also consider that Jackson's background before The Lord of the Rings was making campy B grade horror/slasher flicks.  Watch the Hobbit films with that in mind and a lot of the silliness makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Sméagol, later nicknamed Gollum, was a Stoor, one of the River-folk, not a Hobbit.

BTW, it's spelled as shown above Gollum, not golem, as was used and repeated so often, above.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I liked Evangeline Lilly
View Quote

I think she's pretty, too, but her character contributed nothing necessary to the movie.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gollum was a Stoor, one of the River-folk, not a Hobbit.

BTW, it's spelled as shown above Gollum, not golem, as was used and repeated so often, above.
View Quote

Stoores, Harfoots, and Fallohides are the three breeds/tribes/races of hobbits.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I definitely feel like Peter went the way of Lucas the further he got into the series.

When Fellowship came out, it was mindblowing. Everything "bigatures", CGI was well streamlined without being too obvious. Legolas wasn't over the top. Aragorn vs the Uruks + Lurtz was the most visceral fight scene I'd seen to date, evidenced by Viggo's chipped tooth.

Two Towers comes out, by which point I'd actually gone back and read the books. I was immediately disappointed to realize Jackson altered the Narsil/Anduril storyline. Aragorn departs Rivendell on the quest with Anduril, and it is a very significant part of Helms Deep. Helms deep was portrayed as one night, when my memory seems to say it was a few day siege, multiple waves of attacks. Overall, lots of fighting but Legolas is now surfing and shooting arrows, like the SW prequels seemingly cool at first but in retrospect un-needed.

Return of the King comes out. FINALLY Anduril, but barely gets any of the limelight. Army of the Dead at Pellenor, because I guess explaining that Aragorn forms an army as they sail upriver is too much work? No scouring of the Shire, I guess some folks don't care but I thought it was important that they return from their adventure to find Hobbiton overrun.

What's this have to do with Hobbit?

Hobbit flicks added way too much in the name of "extra plot" to help the less Tolkienized viewers enjoy it. Hobbit was a children's adventure story, it didn't need a she-elf, Legolas CGI-ing all the things, and certainly seemed a bit stretched to fit into 3 movies. CGI Dain was also very obvious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
They could have accomplished just as much in 2 movies. The acting was good, the story was bloated and tedious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I definitely feel like Peter went the way of Lucas the further he got into the series.

When Fellowship came out, it was mindblowing. Everything "bigatures", CGI was well streamlined without being too obvious. Legolas wasn't over the top. Aragorn vs the Uruks + Lurtz was the most visceral fight scene I'd seen to date, evidenced by Viggo's chipped tooth.

Two Towers comes out, by which point I'd actually gone back and read the books. I was immediately disappointed to realize Jackson altered the Narsil/Anduril storyline. Aragorn departs Rivendell on the quest with Anduril, and it is a very significant part of Helms Deep. Helms deep was portrayed as one night, when my memory seems to say it was a few day siege, multiple waves of attacks. Overall, lots of fighting but Legolas is now surfing and shooting arrows, like the SW prequels seemingly cool at first but in retrospect un-needed.

Return of the King comes out. FINALLY Anduril, but barely gets any of the limelight. Army of the Dead at Pellenor, because I guess explaining that Aragorn forms an army as they sail upriver is too much work? No scouring of the Shire, I guess some folks don't care but I thought it was important that they return from their adventure to find Hobbiton overrun.

What's this have to do with Hobbit?

Hobbit flicks added way too much in the name of "extra plot" to help the less Tolkienized viewers enjoy it. Hobbit was a children's adventure story, it didn't need a she-elf, Legolas CGI-ing all the things, and certainly seemed a bit stretched to fit into 3 movies. CGI Dain was also very obvious.
View Quote

I remember when we fans caught wind that PJ intended to insert Arwen into the fight at Helms Deep.  A bunch of us joined a petition begging Jackson not to commit such blasphemy and he pulled those shots from the movie.  He really doesn't understand the characters or subtle plot lines from the books very well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And most of that came from both the Unfinished Tales and the Return of the King's many appendices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I liked the movies there's something about it that just doesn't fit with my memory of the story written years ago.

Because it's a children's short story strung out over three long movies. Needs filler from somewhere.

And most of that came from both the Unfinished Tales and the Return of the King's many appendices.

I do like that they tried to get as much on film as they could. Because you know they will never make movies about the extra information and if you watch the Hobbit and then LOTRs you have a more complete picture of everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My understanding is that orcs are more or less immortal.  I don't recall any reference to orcs dying of anything besides violence.  As to their spirits, Morgoth apparently has enough evil spirits following him that they could be what inhabits the bodies. [shrugs]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet when they "breed in large numbers", there would need to be a new supply of evil spirits or they would be popping out elves.

If they go to the halls of mandos it would be a hell of a party, no?  If so can they regain the grace of eru? Eternity is a long time...

What of their smaller cousins, the goblins?

As near as I can tell, Tolkein changed his mind several times regarding the origin of Orcs. It certainly won't keep me awake at night, middle earth nerd though I may be...

From Unfinished Tales (the Drúedain):
To the unfriendly who, not knowing them well, declared that Morgoth must have bred the Orcs from such a stock the Eldar answered: "Doubtless Morgoth, since he can make no living thing, bred Orcs from various kinds of Men, but the Drúedain must have escaped his Shadow; for their laughter and the laughter of Orcs are as different as is the light of Aman from the darkness of Angband." But some thought, nonetheless, that there had been a remote kinship, which accounted for their special enmity. Orcs and Drûgs each regarded the other as renegades.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My objection!

GIVE BEORN HIS SCREEN TIME!!!!!!!!!!

He got little page time but plays an  extremely important part in the book.  In fact, the battle of Five Armies would have been lost if not for him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It was entertaining but missed parts of the original story and created new parts that were not in the original story. I know they took parts of other books and included it, but I would have liked to see them stick to the original as much as possible.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yet when they "breed in large numbers", there would need to be a new supply of evil spirits or they would be popping out elves.

If they go to the halls of mandos it would be a hell of a party, no?  If so can they regain the grace of eru? Eternity is a long time...

As near as I can tell, Tolkein changed his mind several times regarding the origin of Orcs. It certainly won't keep me awake at night, middle earth nerd though I may be...

To the unfriendly who, not knowing them well, declared that Morgoth must have bred the Orcs from such a stock the Eldar answered: "Doubtless Morgoth, since he can make no living thing, bred Orcs from various kinds of Men, but the Drúedain must have escaped his Shadow; for their laughter and the laughter of Orcs are as different as is the light of Aman from the darkness of Angband." But some thought, nonetheless, that there had been a remote kinship, which accounted for their special enmity. Orcs and Drûgs each regarded the other as renegades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer seems to depend on which source material one references.

As for a supply of evil spirits to inhabit the bodies, considering how orcs are practically beyond count at times, it appears to be a given that there are a lot of evil spirits to inhabit those bodies whatever the origin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
A daunting wall of text from Tolkein

Orcs.
Their nature and origin require more thought. They are not easy to work into the theory and system.

(1). As the case of Aule and the Dwarves shows, only Eru could make creatures with independent wills, and with reasoning powers. But Orcs seem to have both: they can try to cheat Morgoth / Sauron, rebel against him, or criticize him.

(2). ? Therefore they must be corruptions of something pre-existing.

(3). But Men had not yet appeared, when the Orcs already existed. Aulë constructed the Dwarves out of his memory of the Music; but Eru would not sanction the work of Melkor so as to allow the independence of the Orcs. (Not unless Orcs were ultimately remediable, or could be amended and 'saved'?)

It also seems clear (see 'Finrod and Andreth') that though Melkor could utterly corrupt and ruin individuals, it is not possible to contemplate his absolute perversion of a whole people, or group of peoples, and his making that state heritable. [Added later: This latter must (if a fact) be an act of Eru.]

In that case Elves, as a source, are very unlikely. And are Orcs 'immortal', in the Elvish sense? Or trolls? It seems clearly implied in The Lord of the Rings that trolls existed in their own right, but were 'tinkered' with by Melkor.

(4). What of talking beasts and birds with reasoning and speech? These have been rather lightly adopted from less 'serious' mythologies, but play a part which cannot now be excised. They are certainly 'exceptions' and not much used, but sufficiently to show they are a recognized feature of the world. All other creatures accept them as natural if not common.

But true 'rational' creatures, 'speaking peoples', are all of human / 'humanoid' form. Only the Valar and Maiar are intelligences that can assume forms of Arda at will. Huan and Sorontar could be Maiar - emissaries of Manwë. But unfortunately in The Lord of the Rings Gwaehir and Landroval are said to be descendants of Sorontar.

In any case is it likely or possible that even the least of the Maiar would become Orcs? Yes: both outside Arda and in it, before the fall of Utumno. Melkor had corrupted many spirits - some great, as Sauron, or less so, as Balrogs. The least could have been primitive (and much more powerful and perilous) Orcs; but by practising when embodied procreation they would (cf. Melian) [become] more and more earthbound, unable to return to spirit-state (even demon-form), until released by death (killing), and they would dwindle in force. When released they would, of course, like Sauron, be 'damned': i.e. reduced to impotence, infinitely recessive: still hating but unable more and more to make it effective physically (or would not a very dwindled dead Orc-state be a poltergeist?).

But again - would Eru provide fëar for such creatures? For the Eagles etc. perhaps. But not for Orcs.

It does however seem best to view Melkor's corrupting power as always starting, at least, in the moral or theological level. Any creature that took him for Lord (and especially those who blasphemously called him Father or Creator) became soon corrupted in all parts of its being, the fëa dragging down the hröa in its descent into Morgothism: hate and destruction. As for Elves being 'immortal': they in fact only had enormously long lives, and were themselves physically 'wearing out', and suffering a slow progressive weakening of their bodies.

In summary: I think it must be assumed that 'talking' is not necessarily the sign of the possession of a 'rational soul' or fëa. The Orcs were beasts of humanized shape (to mock Men and Elves) deliberately perverted I converted into a more close resemblance to Men. Their 'talking' was really reeling off 'records' set in them by Melkor. Even their rebellious critical words - he knew about them. Melkor taught them speech and as they bred they inherited this; and they had just as much independence as have, say, dogs or horses of their human masters. This talking was largely echoic (cf. parrots). In The Lord of the Rings Sauron is said to have devised a language for them.

The same sort of thing may be said of Húan and the Eagles: they were taught language by the Valar, and raised to a higher level - but they still had no fëar.

But Finrod probably went too far in his assertion that Melkor could not wholly corrupt any work of Eru, or that Eru would (necessarily) interfere to abrogate the corruption, or to end the being of His own creatures because they had been corrupted and fallen into evil.

It remains therefore terribly possible there was an Elvish strain in the Orcs. These may then even have been mated with beasts (sterile!) - and later Men. Their life-span would be diminished. And dying they would go to Mandos and be held in prison till the End.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I liked them fine enough, though I've never read any of the books. Those of you bitching about the film adaptation - did you REALLY expect things to resemble the books in any way, shape, or form? Lower your expectations, perhaps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They could have accomplished just as much in 2 movies. The acting was good, the story was bloated and tedious.
View Quote

Yep, or even one movie. Without a doubt three was stretching it, like butter scraped over too much bread.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
It looked like they were making the movies to sink up with a future video game.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

In summary: maybe they're a corrupt strain of elves, maybe they're semi-intelligent trained beasts without souls, maybe they're a hodgepodge of crossbreeding between humanoid and animal.

Sounds like Tolkien couldn't make up his mind.

The "elves really aren't immortal, just super long lived" is a new angle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Peter Jackson did an amzing job on LOTR.   I was really looking forward to The Hobbit.

The Hobbit was a bloated piece of shit full of overblown CGI adventure scenes, that ricocheted from one outlandish action flight scene to another, with absolutely no suspense, no drama, and shit-all for character development.

I never even bothered to see the third installment, since the first two were such steaming piles of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I liked the movies there's something about it that just doesn't fit with my memory of the story written years ago.

Peter Jackson did an amzing job on LOTR.   I was really looking forward to The Hobbit.

The Hobbit was a bloated piece of shit full of overblown CGI adventure scenes, that ricocheted from one outlandish action flight scene to another, with absolutely no suspense, no drama, and shit-all for character development.

I never even bothered to see the third installment, since the first two were such steaming piles of shit.

I'm with this guy, except
I haven't seen any of them.

There are 18 books on my shelf with Tolkien's name on them. I've seen the LotRs movies countless times... Don't tell anyone, but I have a citadel guard tattoo on my leg.

With all that being said, I won't watch the Hobbit movies because of the direction they went with them... Shit, I'll rewatch all the bonus features for LotR, for a 4th time, before I see these movies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I liked them fine enough, though I've never read any of the books. Those of you bitching about the film adaptation - did you REALLY expect things to resemble the books in any way, shape, or form? Lower your expectations, perhaps.
View Quote

Never read the books, thinks the movies are "fine enough", criticizes those less than thrilled with adaptation of one of the more influential books in English literature.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly?  No.    I think that The Shining is a fucking great movie.   And it strays from the book in any number of different directions, up to and including the fate of the main character.  But it was a great movie.  It was well developed, and well directed.

The Hobbit however, only needed to have Chris Rock play a wise-cracking gay elf, in order to embody virtually every single cliche of why Hollywood puts out complete garbage these days.

The reason that some of us seem to take it personally, and actually get offended by it, is that the source material was amazing, and the potential was there for it to be one of the best things that Hollywood had ever put out.    After the LOTR, I expected improvements from Peter Jackson.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x1000
The only difference is that some friends convinced me to sober drive them to the third one. The soul sucking sludge was worse than Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

100% fuck no.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In summary: maybe they're a corrupt strain of elves, maybe they're semi-intelligent trained beasts without souls, maybe they're a hodgepodge of crossbreeding between humanoid and animal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still waiting for him to get back to us on the whole Tom Bombadil thing...

He no longer responds to emails to [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]

I own that LP!  

RE the Hobbit.  Too much for two movies to handle, not enough for three.  I've liked them so far even with the filler but I'm not a purist.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just me, but Bombadil seems like some personified spirit of nature.  Perhaps a semi-independent, relatively powerful Maia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just me, but Bombadil seems like some personified spirit of nature.  Perhaps a semi-independent, relatively powerful Maia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or perhaps he just liked magic mushrooms...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much from what I read the only one in the whole story who went 'meh' at the Ring.

Sauron's One Ring. And he just looks at it and goes...'meh'.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
THIS....

The Hobbit movies were both a success and a failure. A success because they were entertaining to some degree but a failure because they fell so miserably short of their potential.

The Hobbit movies are essentially PJ's parody portrayal of the book, much like the Starship Troopers movie compared to the book. PJ took the characters and turned them on their heads. Instead of fairly distinguished and somewhat refined dwarfs who play musical instruments at Bilbo's house or get along fine at Rivendell, we get a bunch of sophomoric goofballs who engage in burping contests and sneak out of Rivendell at the first opportunity (in the extended scenes they have a food fight and engage in skinny dipping in one of Rivendell's fountains).

Instead of being a Jolly-yet-dangerous giant of a man who later saves the day at the Battle of Five Armies, Beorn is reduced to an ever-brooding guy who hardly even shows up at all in the end and accomplishes nothing of significance.

Instead of rising to the challenge and coming into his own courage while dealing with the giant spiders and saving the dwarves practically singlehandedly, Bilbo decides to do a Gollum impersonation instead while Legolas does a cameo and saves the day in place of Bilbo.

Instead of being dead for over 100 years from his head being chopped off by Dain, Azog has an alternative storyline where Thorin cuts off his hand and he wreaks all sort of unnecessary trouble.

Every transition has become a senseless chase scene worthy of Benny Hill music.

Smaug, instead of being an evil force of nature who left barely two survivors out of all of Erebor when he arrived and pillaged it, instead lets 99% of the kingdom walk out the front doors alive and is so pathetic now that 10 dwarfs and a hobbit can chase him off.

A dwarf-elf love triangle?

King Thranduil, instead of being noble hearted and seeking to avoid violent confrontation, becomes instead the one who seeks violence with the dwarves at Erebor.

Gandalf, instead of being wise and sneaking in and out of Dol Goldur undetected, walks in announcing his presence as loudly as he can until he's inevitably caught.

Nearly every character a polar opposite of how they are in the book.

So much wasted potential...

Shane is right on the money!!!  wasted potential    alas... (Although Bilbo was cast well)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go with a personification of Eru.  If you notice, he doesn't worry about too much, like it is all under control and he knows it.  He did come rescue the hobbits (when there wasn't anyone else to help them), but then couldn't be bothered with the ring, perhaps knowing all the time that things would be OK and he didn't need to.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I liked part one best only because it was the first LOTR movies without whiny Froto.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I liked part one best only because it was the first LOTR movies without whiny Froto.
View Quote

Frodo ain't really the hero or the main character though; that would be Sam.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but when I go back and watch the first three I find myself fast forwarding through the froto parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would go with a personification of Eru.  If you notice, he doesn't worry about too much, like it is all under control and he knows it.  He did come rescue the hobbits (when there wasn't anyone else to help them), but then couldn't be bothered with the ring, perhaps knowing all the time that things would be OK and he didn't need to.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now there's an insightful thought to consider.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every decent person could benefit from a friend like Sam.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eru-ex-machina?

Why not view him and his wife as incarnations of Manwë and Varda ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys have some serious critical thinking.

I've loved reading this thread because I loved the story and liked to hear you guys cut it into sections and describe them.

I don't think the Hobbit was a children's book anymore than Watership Down.

Cute rabbits and cuddly little dwarfs and all that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#49]
The Hobbit trilogy sucked compared to the LOTR.

However, the third movie in the Hobbit trilogy blew so badly it was in a class by itself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Should have been two movies and been more true to the book.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top