Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 12:01:49 PM EDT
Article here.

Poverty and disadvantage are intensified when poor people cluster, runs the argument; conversely, the rich are unfairly helped when they are surrounded by other rich people. Social mixing ought to help the poor. It sounds self-evident—and colours planning regulations that ensure much social and affordable housing is dotted among more expensive private homes. Yet “there is absolutely no serious evidence to support this,” says Paul Cheshire, a professor of economic geography at the London School of Economics (LSE).

And there is new evidence to suggest it is wrong. Researchers at Duke University in America followed over 1,600 children from age five to age 12 in England and Wales. They found that poor boys living in largely well-to-do neighbourhoods were the most likely to engage in anti-social behaviour, from lying and swearing to such petty misdemeanours as fighting, shoplifting and vandalism, according to a commonly used measure of problem behaviour. Misbehaviour starts very young (see chart 1) and intensifies as they grow older. Poor boys in the poorest neighbourhoods were the least likely to run into trouble. For rich kids, the opposite is true: those living in poor areas are more likely to misbehave.

Mr Cheshire reckons that America, too, provides evidence of the limited benefits of social mixing. Look, he says, at the Moving to Opportunity programme, started in the 1990s, through which some poor people received both counselling and vouchers to move to richer neighbourhoods. Others got financial help to move as they wished, but no counselling. A third group received nothing. Studies after 10-15 years suggested that the incomes and employment prospects of those who moved to richer areas had not improved. Boys who moved showed worse behaviour and were more likely to be arrested for property crime.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Lies. Teacher unions told me so. Complete lies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the wealthier folks don't take kindly to their shit being stolen? So folks go to jail. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder where Paul will be working next semester.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My parents made us save our money and drove us to the bank,   they made us pay for our own cloths and school supplies.  and if we wanted fun stuff, toys, camera, tools, games  we had to pay for that too.     Thank You  Mom and Dad   I have everything I want today and owe no one for anything.......
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It is probably as simple as this.  If you are around others like you, then the differences do not stand out and you can get on with life.  If you are the poorest or the richest, then you are different and stand out, and you have to add that to the maturation process.  When the poor kids gather and talk about their future, they talk about a path they can all associate with and follow, perhaps a path older kids in the neighborhood pursued successfully.  A poor kids learns nothing from his classmates who have cars, are able to join lots of clubs, go on European vacations, and have their college paid for by their parents.  A poor kids cannot emulate that, and thus learns nothing from watching the process.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you remember the poor kid who hung out with your group of friends in school?

Cause I do, and he's a drug dealing juicer who commits petty crimes and is in and out of jail all the time. When the rest of us went to college, he started doing small time crime, and the last time I saw him, he was in the paper.

Anecdotes = evidence of course, but it doesn't really surprise me much. Poor people have poor ways and all that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]

TRG
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Next I'm going to convince everyone that people fair better in piranha infested rivers of South America, than they do in US bath water, due to racism.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Higher-end communities probably have higher standards of behavior....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is probably as simple as this.  If you are around others like you, then the differences do not stand out and you can get on with life.  If you are the poorest or the richest, then you are different and stand out, and you have to add that to the maturation process.  When the poor kids gather and talk about their future, they talk about a path they can all associate with and follow, perhaps a path older kids in the neighborhood pursued successfully.  A poor kids learns nothing from his classmates who have cars, are able to join lots of clubs, go on European vacations, and have their college paid for by their parents.  A poor kids cannot emulate that, and thus learns nothing from watching the process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I cannot brain all this.  Are you sure it's not just something easy like "all poor people steal"?  

ETA-

In this thread we see how many people skipped this sentence;

For rich kids, the opposite is true: those living in poor areas are more likely to misbehave.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh my gosh!  They killed Kenny!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Eddie Murphy figured this out in the 80s:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]

The white box of truth?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait, a liberal utopian idea was found to be absolutely incorrect?

My shocked face.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
True change must come from within, not from without.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
If poor families are subsidized into moving into wealthier neighborhoods and can't network properly with the new neighbors to better their socio economic status then they are dumb and that's why they are poor.

I kid you not, I moved to NOLA and knew 1 family. If you are too ashamed to ask someone if you can learn what they did to become successful you don't want to be successful bad enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
No influence of parents?  Most probably the poor parents were raised no better than their feral offspring, so there is no one to set an example.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No influence of parents?  Most probably the poor parents were raised no better than their feral offspring, so there is no one to set an example.
View Quote

Involved parents and education is the best indicator for future success.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought of this too. Ancillary psychological things they probably didn't even think of factoring in, like making someone a social outcast by putting them in a place where they don't fit in, so they lash out by being more anti-social.

I also wondered if the higher incidence of property crime has something to do with opportunity. There's more good shit to steal in nicer neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The children of the wealthy behave worse than children in a ghetto? I'll go out on a limb and say if that is true it's not a finding relevant to America
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The children of the wealthy behave worse than children in a ghetto? I'll go out on a limb and say if that is true it's not a finding relevant to America

For rich kids, the opposite is true: those living in poor areas are more likely to misbehave.

Rich kids living in poor areas misbehave more than rich kids living in affluent areas.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wait, a liberal utopian idea was found to be absolutely incorrect?

My shocked face.
View Quote

im shocked that a research university in Cal is outing this info in the first place... LOL no really its a private university in NC
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I thought of this too. Ancillary psychological things they probably didn't even think of factoring in, like making someone a social outcast by putting them in a place where they don't fit in, so they lash out by being more anti-social.

I also wondered if the higher incidence of property crime has something to do with opportunity. There's more good shit to steal in nicer neighborhoods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that's the point, for everyone.  Almost as important as parental involvement.

Its headmaster, Chris Hassall, credits the Somali immigrants, who insist that their children turn up for extra lessons at weekends and harry him when they seem to fall behind.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#25]
My first thought was the exact opposite of this:

The researchers suggest several reasons for this. Poorer areas are often heavily policed, deterring would-be miscreants; it may be that people in wealthy places are less likely to spot misbehaviour, too.
View Quote

IMO, they've got it backwards. A poor neighborhood tends to have a higher population density and higher crime. There are fewer cops per person and they have more to do. The greater workload makes the cops more likely to look the other way at minor offenses. Population density and mass transportation provide greater anonymity. Minor crimes are often considered part of the cost of living there or operating a business there. Higher crime rates make people believe that the government won't do anything when they report a crime, so they don't bother. If there's a gang presence, witness intimidation will make that worse.

In a wealthy neighborhood, the people will be all over the city government when their mailboxes get smashed. If you can't stop it, Chief Wiggums, maybe we should hire someone who can. But don't prosecute my son for shoplifting at Kwik-E-Mart. He's a good boy and he didn't mean it.

If they put new kids in the school, the new kids will stand out. If they put poor kids in a wealthy district, the other kids will find out very quickly. Kids being kids, they'll treat the newcomers as outliers, which means they'll treat them badly. Children are not the fountains of human kindness some people like to imagine. They can be incredibly cruel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top