Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:59:22 AM EDT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11441265/Terrorists-should-be-eliminated-says-Apples-Tim-Cook.html

Exclusive interview: Apple's chief executive Tim Cook explains to Allister Heath why the threat of terrorism should not scaremonger citizens into giving up their privacy

...The chief executive of Apple is a radical privacy advocate and was on the last leg of a trip to Europe and Israel where he discussed this issue extensively.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Cook said that it is clear that there are many instances of people’s information being "trafficked around” and that this is something his company abhorred.

At the moment, however, consumers often "don’t fully understand what is going on", he added. "One day they will, and will be very offended.”...

I know there is a lot of Apple hate and a lot of Apple love around here, what do you think?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Tim is right. Terrorism has been an excuse by government's to turn into big brother and invade our privacy. And the new modern 'internet' is designed around tracking people for ads.

Its nice that Apple not only has great customer service but takes customer's privacy seriously.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]

I think of all the newfangled "rights" being bandied about lately, this is the only one that actually is one.  Good for him.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Maker of smartphones that track their owners every move, purchase, text, and email is speaking of "privacy" as a human right.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maker of smartphones that track their owners every move, purchase, text, and email is speaking of "privacy" as a human right.

View Quote

Is Apple more private than any other phone? Is there a smartphone with better privacy options? I really am curious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
This from the guy who announced he doesn't know what kind of hole to stick it in?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is Apple more private than any other phone? Is there a smartphone with better privacy options? I really am curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secure, yes, but you AGREE to have your private life pored over for research, marketing, etc. when you buy the phone and install apps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Plenty of them out there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]

If you think NSA can't get in your iPhone you are kidding yourself.

Cook is putting out fires and doing product marketing, nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apple's business model is to capture as much value up front in the initial sale of the device.

Android's business model is to give the software (and in the case of the Nexus devices, hardware) away for free and capture as much value through the use of the device.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see which of these is inherently geared towards tracking users.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blackphone claims to be the "most" caring about your privacy and have great tools to do so.

Apple does care, but they want your info themselves as well - the difference is they just don't want to share it with anyone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I find this article really rich coming from one of the pioneers of violating personal privacy.   The only thing that would top this is facebook making a statement saying that "peoples information should be kept private"... or bill gates saying "you don't need money".
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Blackphone claims to be the "most" caring about your privacy and have great tools to do so.

Apple does care, but they want your info themselves as well - the difference is they just don't want to share it with anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that the NSA has demanded the manufacturer to install a back door, or has hackers working on how to crack it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm sure that the NSA has demanded the manufacturer to install a back door, or has hackers working on how to crack it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need when they can just hack the sim card manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Apple is more private.
They take privacy very seriously.
Their latest password system doesn't allow even them to get into your account and give info to law enforcement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Secure, yes, but you AGREE to have your private life pored over for research, marketing, etc. when you buy the phone and install apps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you are confusing Apple with Google.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Apple wants to know our habits and junk so they can make new stuff geared toward our needs and crap
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Source?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?

I think I heard a cricket...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tim is right. Terrorism has been an excuse by government's to turn into big brother and invade our privacy. And the new modern 'internet' is designed around tracking people for ads.

Its nice that Apple not only has great customer service but takes customer's privacy seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But do they?

The NSA Reportedly Has Total Access To The Apple iPhone

Der Spiegel reported on the NSA’s access to smartphones and, in particular, the iPhone back in September. Today, these reports expand to the NSA’s apparent ability to access just about all your iPhone data through a program called DROPOUTJEEP, according to security researcher Jacob Applebaum.

While many tech companies have spoken out publicly against the PRISM program since it was revealed earlier this year, Applebaum sounds a cautionary note on corporate involvement.

Do you think Apple helped them build that?” Appelbaum asks at one point in his talk. “I don’t know. I hope Apple will clarify that… Here’s a problem: I don’t really believe that Apple didn’t help them.

Sure seems like they would need Apples help, and need to be in on OS changes, privacy changes, etc.. ahead of OS new releases/patches to make sure their malware is not interfered with, remains functioning and up to date.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]
That guy can go fuck himself....turn off all his app permissions and rights.

We should be more worried about the iTunes and the Play Store more...

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?

When you buy a smart phone you agree to a TOS that more or less is signing away your rights to privacy and for those who write the code, make the phone, sell the apps to use your data, access your phone, track your habits.

They claim it's "anonymous" meta data or that it's used for "marketing" purposes only.'

It's everywhere, from the keyboard software that suddenly can predict what you are typing better, to the maps software that suddenly is better at finding the types of locations you drive to the most, to how all the adds on your browser seem to be more and more pertinent...

The fact that it's so integrated into every bit of what we do everyday, it's essentially hiding in plain sight... unless you have a Tracfone burner you pay for with cash, there are server banks devoted to your quasi-anonymous life somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When you buy a smart phone you agree to a TOS that more or less is signing away your rights to privacy and for those who write the code, make the phone, sell the apps to use your data, access your phone, track your habits.

They claim it's "anonymous" meta data or that it's used for "marketing" purposes only.'

It's everywhere, from the keyboard software that suddenly can predict what you are typing better, to the maps software that suddenly is better at finding the types of locations you drive to the most, to how all the adds on your browser seem to be more and more pertinent...

The fact that it's so integrated into every bit of what we do everyday, it's essentially hiding in plain sight... unless you have a Tracfone burner you pay for with cash, there are server banks devoted to your quasi-anonymous life somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?

You said:

Can you show a link for that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thing I do, regardless of OS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Look, if you have a smartphone, no matter the OS on it, you are being tracked for at least marketing purposes. It's easy to test, send yourself an email some time with a message body with something totally off the wall for you. Guess what, you will get targeted advertising based on that messages. I did it with Google, even before I got an android phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you turn these things off? Many thanks,

Does it change any app functionality?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Supposedly iMessage supports end-to-end encryption.

This means that your iMessages cannot be read in transit, even by Apple. I guess they "could" add a device, real or simulated, to your account and, at the same time, suppress notifications of that device being added to start intercepting messages, but I am still more comfortable with them than the other guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can you show a link for that?
View Quote

You are acting like you are the smartest guy on earth. You know for a fact that itunes and the play store and app's track purchases and what ever you allow (and sometimes don't) yet you are attempting to defend it by saying "Got a link?" like that is going to prove anything to you.

It's not going to change anything in your world and it's making you look like a smug child.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Look, if you have a smartphone, no matter the OS on it, you are being tracked for at least marketing purposes. It's easy to test, send yourself an email some time with a message body with something totally off the wall for you. Guess what, you will get targeted advertising based on that messages. I did it with Google, even before I got an android phone.
View Quote

"Got a link?"

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You are acting like you are the smartest guy on earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You are acting like you are the smartest guy on earth.

I don;t think that at all.

Yon't) yet you are attempting to defend it by saying "Got a link?" like that is going to prove anything to you.ou know for a fact that itunes and the play store and app's track purchases and what ever you allow (and sometimes d

I agree iTunes and Play Store track purchases, they are a merchant. But, to claim Apple tracks emails, texts, etc.. is hilarious.

It's not going to change anything in your world and it's making you look like a smug child.

Thanks for the insult.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"Got a link?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Got a link?"

Send yourself an email with random words you'd never ever email someone about, in it. I used "quilting." Suddenly I was getting targeted ads about not only quilting but also other things older people are interested in. And my "profile" in Google was estimated since I never told them my age, but it was in my 60s.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone requesting sources is either sorely behind the times or in fan boy denial.

There is no privacy in the mainstream, commercial world. Serious geeks can create niches, but they're fleeting.

Your option for privacy is to not put private information on networks. Period. If your phone is turned on your privacy is already limited before you even place a call or send a text.

Deal with it, it's not changing.

No network data is totally secure, especially over the air, and even if your content is secure the act of transmitting and receiving reveals information about you. Apple can have a very nice privacy policy, which is great PR, but technological and legal realities supersede their niceties on the regular.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Send yourself an email with random words you'd never ever email someone about, in it. I used "quilting." Suddenly I was getting targeted ads about not only quilting but also other things older people are interested in. And my "profile" in Google was estimated since I never told them my age, but it was in my 60s.
View Quote

It was tongue in cheek, bro..see above posts

BTW, did you see the pic I posted of Igor Larionov and my kid?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
So the company that collects as much info on you as they can and says you don't own their products, is now saying that you have a right to privacy?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Google openly admits the track everything you do and reads all of your emails. For that reason, I do not use google at all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But do they?

Sure seems like they would need Apples help, and need to be in on OS changes, privacy changes, etc.. ahead of OS new releases/patches to make sure their malware is not interfered with, remains functioning and up to date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But do they?

Der Spiegel reported on the NSA’s access to smartphones and, in particular, the iPhone back in September. Today, these reports expand to the NSA’s apparent ability to access just about all your iPhone data through a program called DROPOUTJEEP, according to security researcher Jacob Applebaum.

While many tech companies have spoken out publicly against the PRISM program since it was revealed earlier this year, Applebaum sounds a cautionary note on corporate involvement.

Do you think Apple helped them build that?” Appelbaum asks at one point in his talk. “I don’t know. I hope Apple will clarify that… Here’s a problem: I don’t really believe that Apple didn’t help them.

That article was written before Apple claimed to have encrypted the shit out of iOS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I should have added a smiley. I wanted to provide the next best thing to a link to anyone who thought either of the two big players in the cell market OS game do pretty much the same thing.

I did see that pic, it's awesome! Love Igor. Dude still looks like he could play!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Google openly admits the track everything you do and reads all of your emails. For that reason, I do not use google at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semantics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're serious?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Semantics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semantics.

Whatever... It's Monday morning, cut me some slack!

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

fpni
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#41]
That's nice.

How bout you fix the screen on my iPad?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That article was written before Apple claimed to have encrypted the shit out of iOS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But do they?

"Do you think Apple helped them build that?” Appelbaum asks at one point in his talk. "I don’t know. I hope Apple will clarify that… Here’s a problem: I don’t really believe that Apple didn’t help them.

Didn't they put a message in their EULA or something also and basically said when the government forces us to give them access they wont let us tell you about it, but when this paragraph is no longer in the EULA then it was done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's nice.

How bout you fix the screen on my iPad?
View Quote

What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he's talking about his right to privacy not yours.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Ayup.

Look, if you are that concerned, turn off EVERYTHING on the phone and use it as.... a phone.  It's not like they force you to install, activate, and use every single tracked feature.  A lot of it is enabled by default but you can turn it all off.

Now.  Having said that....  Regardless of your ability to tailor your privacy settings, if you think that your phone can't be used against you regardless of how you have it set up, I've got some land on Mars you'd be interested in owning.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Blackphone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You all might as well just get used to the idea that EVERYTHING you do online, is tracked, collated, analyzed, and used in an attempt to market you (get to know you better).  Same with phones, even dumb-phones, let alone smartphones.

The govt doesn't even need to go to any effort to do this; they just let commercial interests do it, and then if they become interested in you, they buy it, take it, whatever.  The point is that the govt doesn't need to track you since you are pretty effectively already tracked/data managed already.  They can get the info if they want to.

The best you can do is to either a) not use said devices/services (which can be pretty inconvenient, b) suck it up and accept it, or c) make an effort to corrupt their databases.  Go look at weird shit that will screw up their profiles on you to the point where they are useless.  Corrupt their stored data, have fun with it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You all might as well just get used to the idea that EVERYTHING you do online, is tracked, collated, analyzed, and used in an attempt to market you (get to know you better).  Same with phones, even dumb-phones, let alone smartphones.

The govt doesn't even need to go to any effort to do this; they just let commercial interests do it, and then if they become interested in you, they buy it, take it, whatever.  The point is that the govt doesn't need to track you since you are pretty effectively already tracked/data managed already.  They can get the info if they want to.

The best you can do is to either a) not use said devices/services (which can be pretty inconvenient, b) suck it up and accept it, or c) make an effort to corrupt their databases.  Go look at weird shit that will screw up their profiles on you to the point where they are useless.  Corrupt their stored data, have fun with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly so.
Join arf.com and counter it with DU.
search for Glock, then search for the Brady Campaign
For everything you do, also do the opposite. It's hard to profile that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Syncios rocks, screw iTunes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11441265/Terrorists-should-be-eliminated-says-Apples-Tim-Cook.html

Exclusive interview: Apple's chief executive Tim Cook explains to Allister Heath why the threat of terrorism should not scaremonger citizens into giving up their privacy

...The chief executive of Apple is a radical privacy advocate and was on the last leg of a trip to Europe and Israel where he discussed this issue extensively.
In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Cook said that it is clear that there are many instances of people’s information being "trafficked around” and that this is something his company abhorred.

At the moment, however, consumers often "don’t fully understand what is going on", he added. "One day they will, and will be very offended.”...

I know there is a lot of Apple hate and a lot of Apple love around here, what do you think?
View Quote

I know the .gov hates their phones because the cannot crack them and Apple told the to fuck off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top