Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:05:07 AM EDT
I have no idea how I missed this before, but I did, and I'm kinda wishing now that a clever and competent reader hadn't put it on our FB page, because I read it, and now my head hurts from all of the ridiculousness in this article.

It's written by an English teacher, and it's about grammar and how oppressive and racist it can be.  No joke.  And because it's written by someone who ostensibly cares a great deal about correct syntax and proper sentence construction, it's written really well.  Unfortunately, it just says a lot of really really really ridiculous stuff.

Because the author is a social justice warrior (I know), she has a problem with "grammar snobbery in social justice movements" and believes that "purporting one form of English as elite is inherently oppressive."

She believes there's "a difference between understanding grammar and demanding it."  She explains that there are two schools of thought about what entails successful communication; specifically:

Prescriptive grammar– which is what “grammar snobs” champion – says that there’s such a thing as one true, honest, pure form of a language and that only that version is correct or acceptable.     Descriptive grammar, on the other hand, argues that however a language is being used to communicate effectively is correct – because that is the basic purpose of language.

http://chicksontheright.com/blog/item/27574-proper-english-grammar-is-racist-and-oppressive-according-to-everday-feminism
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing new. Many libs have been saying this for years, if not decades. Some even claim that expectations of literacy are racist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
First they came for cursive and I said nothing....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what happens when life is too easy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Prescriptive grammar– which is what "grammar snobs” champion – says that there’s such a thing as one true, honest, pure form of a language and that only that version is correct or acceptable.     Descriptive grammar, on the other hand, argues that however a language is being used to communicate effectively is correct – because that is the basic purpose of language.

http://chicksontheright.com/blog/item/27574-proper-english-grammar-is-racist-and-oppressive-according-to-everday-feminism
View Quote

She's right. The correct language to use is the one that communicates most effectively. It just so happens that the language that communicates most effectively... is the one that most closely follows the established rules of grammar.

The point of grammar isn't to piss off the schoolchildren who have to study it. It's to ensure that there is a coherent structure, minimal ambiguity, and common frame of reference for both writer and reader, speaker and listener. In other words, grammar is there to maximise the effectiveness of the language.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
They would love GD, then.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In other words, grammar is there to maximise the effectiveness of the language.

View Quote

Racist.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Racist.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Racist.  

I live in a country that spent a few hundred years telling various shades of brown people how to live their lives. Don't you be oppressing my cultural heritage

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I speak Jive...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Words be racist, yo.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Feminists hate boundaries. For themselves.

They are ok with endless boundaries for Western European hetero descended male patriarchal hegemony beneficiaries though.

Part of the historically aggrieved movement. A day of reckoning is a coming.

Afterwards. Utopia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Feminists hate boundaries. For themselves.

They are ok with endless boundaries for Western European hetero descended male patriarchal hegemony beneficiaries though.

Part of the historically aggrieved movement. A day of reckoning is a coming.

Afterwards. Utopia.
View Quote
Well, you could level that accusation at just about any group. It's not unique to the ones we think of as "bad", it's just we only consider it to be a problem when we're the ones who are the subject of those boundaries.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
So many special snowflakes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First they came for cursive and I said nothing....
View Quote

Good one. Penmanship and oral & written communication skills have gone to shit in this country. When I saw some of the handwriting on applications at my last job, I wept.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Uniform language is oppressive, so yhwer ksaldj freir fhdjh.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#15]
The purpose of language IS to communicate, which is went we have a proscribed set of rules for how to do it. Ignoring the rules makes language less useful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
None of that shit is really important ... unless you want people to know what the fuck you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#17]
The word 'ask' is racist and should be banned.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#18]
She's at least partially right.

Language, specifically the different vernaculars and dialects of individual languages, have almost always dovetailed beautifully with the speakers' position on the social ladder.

Example: in films and cartoons, the stereotypical rich snobs speak with a posh English accent, the downtrodden social filth speak cockney.

Its nothing new. I wouldn't call it racist though, that's just how society works sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Tower of Babel shit there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Didn't you know? Everything is feminist, sexist, and racist. The world just plain hates everyone. And whitey is to blame.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Next up; anti discrimination laws against illiteracy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I live in a country that spent a few hundred years telling various shades of brown people how to live their lives. Don't you be oppressing my cultural heritage

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Racist.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
None of that shit is really important ... unless you want people to know what the fuck you are talking about.
View Quote

Then why do you taunt me with your sentence structure?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
She's at least partially right.

Language, specifically the different vernaculars and dialects of individual languages, have almost always dovetailed beautifully with the speakers' position on the social ladder.

Example: in films and cartoons, the stereotypical rich snobs speak with a posh English accent, the downtrodden social filth speak cockney.

Its nothing new. I wouldn't call it racist though, that's just how society works sometimes.
View Quote

'Enry 'iggins would quite agree, Gov'nor.

The liberals and Feminists have been fighting to control language forever-who ever controls the language can set the conversation however they like.  Control is the key word.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth here ^^
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what happens when students are forced to read Maya Angelou for four years in school.

Maya Angelou:
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.

English is associated with pain and failure and they reject it in favor of language that expresses their ideals and aspirations.

AAVE (txt dialect):
rappn 4 som biches we jmpng n shit we kil u mfkrs
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't you know? Everything is feminist, sexist, and racist. The world just plain hates everyone. And whitey is to blame.

View Quote

That does seem to be a common theme, doesn't it?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
You have to admit, it is quite entertaining watching the stuff the left comes up with that offends them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The word 'ask' is racist and should be banned.
View Quote

It's not the word but the spelling. It's okay to spell it "aks" and pronounce it that way, too. That's part of their culture.

#misspelledwordsmatter
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#31]
what makes me chuckle is that many people have an idea that there were rules to begin with.  the language isn't based on the rules--it's the other way around.  language is organic.  it evolves.  remember in school when they taught you why science uses latin?

don't get me wrong--the ability to use language properly is important.  but the "rules" are nothing more than the most recent consensus of writers as to how everyone is supposed to speak.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

She's right. The correct language to use is the one that communicates most effectively. It just so happens that the language that communicates most effectively... is the one that most closely follows the established rules of grammar.

The point of grammar isn't to piss off the schoolchildren who have to study it. It's to ensure that there is a coherent structure, minimal ambiguity, and common frame of reference for both writer and reader, speaker and listener. In other words, grammar is there to maximise the effectiveness of the language.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prescriptive grammar– which is what "grammar snobs” champion – says that there’s such a thing as one true, honest, pure form of a language and that only that version is correct or acceptable.     Descriptive grammar, on the other hand, argues that however a language is being used to communicate effectively is correct – because that is the basic purpose of language.

^^^All of this. ^^^  Further, English is a living language that is constantly morphing to catch up with the times. It will always lag behind modern times, but it does change. Once, the use of the word 'man' was thought to include all people as one of its definitions. That is changing and more gender neutral words are being used in its place. The same holds true for other uses of the masculine and feminine; words are becoming neutral unless they need to be gender specific. Future tense is moving from 'he' or 'she' to 'they're', whether singular or plural. She needs to be patient.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To keep you on your toes?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is what happens when students are forced to read Maya Angelou for four years in school.

Maya Angelou:
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.

English is associated with pain and failure and they reject it in favor of language that expresses their ideals and aspirations.

AAVE (txt dialect):
rappn 4 som biches we jmpng n shit we kil u mfkrs
View Quote

I tol dat whit beyotch she bess be gettin to sukkin it yo she be all like whitey ey at mah brwn fuxstix mane.

Sall gut tho imma fixtin ta git rid ol raciss babbs iffin yu ain don wit da brwn youse git stichs muhafuha
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have no idea how I missed this before, but I did, and I'm kinda wishing now that a clever and competent reader hadn't put it on our FB page, because I read it, and now my head hurts from all of the ridiculousness in this article.

It's written by an English teacher, and it's about grammar and how oppressive and racist it can be.  No joke.  And because it's written by someone who ostensibly cares a great deal about correct syntax and proper sentence construction, it's written really well.  Unfortunately, it just says a lot of really really really ridiculous stuff.

Because the author is a social justice warrior (I know), she has a problem with "grammar snobbery in social justice movements" and believes that "purporting one form of English as elite is inherently oppressive."

She believes there's "a difference between understanding grammar and demanding it."  She explains that there are two schools of thought about what entails successful communication; specifically:

Prescriptive grammar– which is what “grammar snobs” champion – says that there’s such a thing as one true, honest, pure form of a language and that only that version is correct or acceptable.     Descriptive grammar, on the other hand, argues that however a language is being used to communicate effectively is correct – because that is the basic purpose of language.

View Quote

Hmmm...seems she's never heard of sociolinguistics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#37]
It's racist to allow subcultures the ideology that being able to comprehend a written language isn't a good idea or even necessary. Especially one that is used as the primary form of communication to transfer ideas & concepts pertaining to every facet of life.

It is, however, a well established understanding that in any language dialects are going to develop & evolve.

The truly affluent can multi-task in this regard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Yet another example of why we are well overdue for a global plague.

There are too many people on this planet to the point where there is no real definition of sheer stupidity.

It's time to start handing out Darwin awards like candy on Halloween.

Then, perhaps society will balance out and once again, we will recognize uber-derp right away when it's staring us in the face and we can correct it before it it infects others.

I say plague rather than natural disaster becasue the biggest retards don't vaccinate...

EDIT:  To add another point, the improper use of grammar is almost always the reason for needing concepts like "context".  When people use language properly, there is no room for ambiguity, and therefore no ideas could be misconstrued.

Don't think so?  Remember this point next time anyone asks NoloContendre to translate the legal documents he shares with us...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Idle hands are the devils playground.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#41]
qwerty
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

qwerty
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#42]
We  can't even tell the color of a dress.    How the hell  will we even have proper English as the excepted standard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You have to admit, it is quite entertaining watching the stuff the left comes up with that offends them.
View Quote

A good chunk of the soft degree academia NEEDS something to be offended about. They need something to rally gainst and write about, or their jobs are in danger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

We  can't even tell the color of a dress.    How the hell  will we even have proper English as the excepted standard.
View Quote

We have proper English as the accepted standard. I have no idea what the hell you guys have on that side of the pond

Edited to add: and having just noticed your username (assuming you're not just a fan of hurricanes or Sleepy Hollow), I should point out that "guys" includes "girls"

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently, we won't

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Werd; but ~ iz herz 1st thyme dis qtzip a idear set 4th bi ? educ8r x£in  =ity ? <=>.

Word. But hers is not the first time this cutesy pie of an idea was set forth by some educator expounding  "equality is unconditionally material equivalence."
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#47]

You know, I am almost willing to let the moose-limbs take over, if only to silence the feminazis and leftists. Almost.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We have proper English as the accepted standard. I have no idea what the hell you guys have on that side of the pond

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my wife is a Geordie and I am going to go ahead and say no, you don't. At least not all of you. As far as I could tell when I was there last, half the people in Yorkshire speak some incomprehensible dialect that is anything but "English".

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yeah, my wife is a Geordie and I am going to go ahead and say no, you don't. At least not all of you. As far as I could tell when I was there last, half the people in Yorkshire speak some incomprehensible dialect that is anything but "English".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once you get that far north, you stop asking if they're English and start asking if they're human, so they are excluded

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#50]
One word.....Ebonics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top