Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2015 4:51:50 AM EDT
Have not had a smart phone ever, but am making more money now, so considering an IPhone 6.

Should I stick to my $65 dollar a month plan with cheapy phones that just get used for calls or go up to $150 a month for my wife and I with IPhones?

I should be able to go shooting weekly still if not more as well, but probably have to cut down on fast food and lotto scratchers

ETA: Open to other smartphones too

ETA 2: Two Iphone 6s with 10g data and unlimited talk/text from at&t will cost me $180 per month.

I'll pass for now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I surf ARFCOM from every restroom I use with my iphone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus Christ, $65 and you sdont have a smart phone?

Get an android, much more versitile. If my mom can do it, anyone can.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Sarcasm detector is on low.

$65 a month for 2 phones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Never been a fan of Apple products, but YMMV.

My wife has an iPhone, and the youngest had one... both sons and myself just got Samsung Note 4's, and I am blown away by them. I highly recommend them if you can swing it. The display is nothing short of jaw-dropping, it runs on Android OS, has expandable memory, removable battery, and if you have the dock... HDMI output (camera records in 4K). oh yah, DAT CAMERA. wow. WOW. It's nifty.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Never been a fan of Apple products, but YMMV.

My wife has an iPhone, and the youngest had one... both sons and myself just got Samsung Note 4's, and I am blown away by them. I highly recommend them if you can swing it. The display is nothing short of jaw-dropping, it runs on Android OS, has expandable memory, removable battery, and if you have the dock... HDMI output (camera records in 4K). oh yah, DAT CAMERA. wow. WOW. It's nifty.
View Quote
Open to all smartphones, but just know IPhone like how gun guys know about Glocks

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
They're fun, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an iPhone 4, and now I've had the iPhone 6 for 6 months now.  I love it.  Much easier to use and navigate than the Androids (I had one before my iPhone 4).
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a reason why people compare an iPhone (one brand of smartphone) to everything else.

The nice thing with the iPhone is that it is popular so there are a lot of cases and accessories etc. If someone makes an app they typically make an IOS app first then work on Android versions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I surf ARFCOM from every restroom I use with my iphone.
View Quote

Apple needs to post that quote on their homepage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I've only ever heard people question why they waited so long to get one.

I've never heard of anyone who regretted it.

If you want plug and play, get an iPhone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
To IPhone or not
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a reason why people compare an iPhone (one brand of smartphone) to everything else.

The nice thing with the iPhone is that it is popular so there are a lot of cases and accessories etc. If someone makes an app they typically make an IOS app first then work on Android versions.
View Quote

Yes, people that buy mostly on brand.  There's nothing really wrong with that, you're just not getting nearly as much for your money.  You can be part of the proud closed ecosystem that grabs you by the ankles and shakes out whatever money you have for accessories and apps.  

Samsung is a big seller with lots of aftermarket options.  Better phone for your money too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To IPhone or not
View Quote

Yes to iPhone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to mention that it just works, as it should. (and has phenomenal resale value)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
They are a drug.  Very addictive, very costly (both in terms of time and money).  Don't even try to take one away from an addict - they would not know how to live without them.  That said, the dark side is sweat, and it is calling.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To IPhone or not
View Quote

I wouldn't take one for free. Get an Android device.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To IPhone or not
View Quote

iPhone.  My wife and I are 1.5 yrs into owning them, our first smart phones.  "I'll never use it".... famous last words.  Also, iPhone is my choice because it's simple.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Love my iPhone 6 plus!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, that was like 3am.

Point still stands. Had a work provided ipone 4, it stopped working a few days after the iPhone 6 came out

Don't like em. Don't trust em. The fact that you are locked into their little world of apps and what they think is acceptable for you is a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
9mm>iPhone>Android>.45
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Point still stands. Had a work provided ipone 4, it stopped working a few days after the iPhone 6 came out

Don't like em. Don't trust em. The fact that you are locked into their little world of apps and what they think is acceptable for you is a deal breaker for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had an iPhone 4, and now I've had the iPhone 6 for 6 months now.  I love it.  Much easier to use and navigate than the Androids (I had one before my iPhone 4).
View Quote

I don't think you can compare an Android from what, 6 years ago, to the current product.

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons
Email sucks compared to Blackberry (my only reference)
Locked down unless you jailbreak it / void your warranty so you can only get apps thru I-tunes
I-tunes will want to update about once a week.
$20 cables instead of a micro-USB.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Look into Straight Talk and similar prepaid plans. $45 a month for unlimited. Phone isn't subsidized though so you have to price that into it. Still over two years you'll probably come out ahead.

And yeah you should get one. If you've never had a smartphone before I would stick with iPhone. Don't worry about Android. After you get hooked on smartphones then you can decide what OS you want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#25]
LG G3. The phone is amazingly fast, huge screen and all day battery life. Doesn't hurt that the camera is excellent, and it records 4k video as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LG G3.  and it records 4k video as well.
View Quote

Cool. Too bad I would need a new monitor to appreciate it. Hmm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy an Android phone from Ebay (Samsung S4 - $200) and sign up for pay as you go.  

PagePlus: $30/month for 500MB data on Verizon's network.  No contract.  

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They're only fun if it's an Android, go for it.
View Quote

Fixed that for ya.

ANDROIDFTMFW!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I voted yes. Have had an iPhone 5 over 2 years. Since this is my first smart phone I wouldn't consider that a long time but I have noticed that most of my non apple using friends get new phones at least once a year. I will have to ask if the old phone was causing problems or they just had money burning a hole in their pocket. That said my phone is still operating fine with good battery life. No complaints and when its time I will replace it with another iPhone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I should have put should I grab a smartphone instead since a lot of people seem to not like IPhones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have not had a smart phone ever, but am making more money now, so considering an IPhone 6.

Should I stick to my $65 dollar a month plan with cheapy phones that just get used for calls or go up to $150 a month for my wife and I with IPhones?

I should be able to go shooting weekly still if not more as well, but probably have to cut down on fast food and lotto scratchers

View Quote

There are a lot of good phones coming out that are much cheaper than the iphone.  Better to wait and see.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think you can compare an Android from what, 6 years ago, to the current product.

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons
Locked down unless you jailbreak it / void your warranty so you can only get apps thru I-tunes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons

The only con is the 20 dollar cables. Apple sends out updates monthly to bimonthly. I guess it's a bad thing to have software that is up to date. More than 75% of Android phones are still running on software that is almost 2 years old. I don't feel like hot linking to where I found it but it's true...It's on the internet it has to be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The only con is the 20 dollar cables. Apple sends out updates monthly to bimonthly. I guess it's a bad thing to have software that is up to date. More than 75% of Android phones are still running on software that is almost 2 years old. I don't feel like hot linking to where I found it but it's true...It's on the internet it has to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons

Frequent updates are a double edged sword.  Apparently you have short memory.  What a clusterfuck 6 was.  Fucked up maps, fucked up email, fucked up calendars.  Took them months to fix some of those issues, all the while people who use the damn things for work are bitching daily when it will get fixed.  7's update wasn't that pretty either, I forgot the details.

Get a flagship Android phone, won't be that old.

Big ass plus on the cheap cables.  That's not a small con.  I've carried many flavors of smartphones for 10 years or near it.  You don't have 1 or 2 precious cables.  You can buy $1-2 cables online.  Leave one in your car, laptop bag, wife's car etc.  Forgot cable on a trip or vacation?  No biggie, you aren't fucked buying an overpriced $30-40 one at your local store.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, if you want a smartphone to use, get an iPhone.  If you want a hobby or need to customize your phone to use furlongs per fortnight as a unit of measure for muzzle velocity, or your sexual identity is based on your relationship with technology, or you're just too hip for an iPhone, get a Samsung Galaxy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm an IT guy and iPhone/Android developer. I used Android for years because it is more versatile. I switched to the IPhone last year because I got sick of the bugs and unreliable notifications. IPhone is clearly superior as a phone. Android is better for free apps, but I think it's more important to have it work. In short, I was always frustrated with my Androids, and I love my IPhone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Cut down on lottery scratches, awww hell nawh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, if you want a smartphone to use, get an iPhone.  If you want a hobby or need to customize your phone to use furlongs per fortnight as a unit of measure for muzzle velocity, or your sexual identity is based on your relationship with technology, or you're just too hip for an iPhone, get a Samsung Galaxy.
View Quote

iPhones are for tech idiots and Android for tech savvy was true like 5 years ago.

My wife is not tech savvy and does just fine.  You don't have to customize if you aren't inclined to do so.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm an IT guy and iPhone/Android developer. I used Android for years because it is more versatile. I switched to the IPhone last year because I got sick of the bugs and unreliable notifications. IPhone is clearly superior as a phone. Android is better for free apps, but I think it's more important to have it work. In short, I was always frustrated with my Androids, and I love my IPhone.
View Quote

No bugs with iPhones.  

Corporate  messaging guy.  IPhones were a big headache during most of their updates.  Blown up mailboxes, calendars, hijacked meetings, overloaded mail Internet  facing servers crashing them forcing blocking iPhone versions, swamping WiFi access points,killing data usage, maps directing you into ponds and lakes.  

That's just off the top of my head.

Android isn't perfect, but the iPhone headaches were much worse.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Pfft.  I can find compatible cables 3 for $5.99 on eBay.

I say go 6 plus.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No bugs with iPhones.  

Corporate  messaging guy.  IPhones were a big headache during most of their updates.  Blown up mailboxes, calendars, hijacked meetings, overloaded mail Internet  facing servers crashing them forcing blocking iPhone versions, swamping WiFi access points,killing data usage, maps directing you into ponds and lakes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No bugs with iPhones.  

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen any of those issues with mine or any of my corporate coworkers.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

iPhones are for tech idiots and Android for tech savvy was true like 5 years ago.

My wife is not tech savvy and does just fine.  You don't have to customize if you aren't inclined to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bolded: good to know.  I bookmarked your post so I can quote you when the haters talk about iPhone users being technotards.

But, OK, that leaves items 3 and 4, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't get a smart phone.
Keep your cheap plan.
Shoot more.
Stop eating fast food.
Stop buying lotto scratchers.
Set up a weekly/monthly/yearly budget for you and your wife.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#43]
After my 3G went tits up,I got a 6g and love it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the best reply to this thread.

OP, get an IPhone. They are easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons
Email sucks compared to Blackberry (my only reference) How so?  I push one button on my phone and boom....there's my email just as it is on a desktop computer
Locked down unless you jailbreak it / void your warranty so you can only get apps thru I-tunes Never heard of jailbreaking.  Why is getting apps through ITunes a bad thing?  There are generally more apps available for the Iphone than any other.
I-tunes will want to update about once a week. I've only gotten one notice since I've had my phone.  And it's not like you have to accept the update.  I only did ONE update on my i4 in the 2+ years I had it.
$20 cables instead of a micro-USB. Meh...It comes with the phone when you buy it.  Why are you buying more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pluses,
good phone
good for texting
decent for surfing

Cons
Email sucks compared to Blackberry (my only reference) How so?  I push one button on my phone and boom....there's my email just as it is on a desktop computer
Locked down unless you jailbreak it / void your warranty so you can only get apps thru I-tunes Never heard of jailbreaking.  Why is getting apps through ITunes a bad thing?  There are generally more apps available for the Iphone than any other.
I-tunes will want to update about once a week. I've only gotten one notice since I've had my phone.  And it's not like you have to accept the update.  I only did ONE update on my i4 in the 2+ years I had it.
$20 cables instead of a micro-USB. Meh...It comes with the phone when you buy it.  Why are you buying more?

OK, let me rephrase that.  My mom and I share a plan.  She upgraded to the LG G3 at the same time I got my i6.  It's her first smartphone.  As you can imagine an older woman with a fancy new smartphone....she has asked me hundreds of questions of how to do this and that on it.  I have plenty of time finger fucking a brand new G3.  I don't like the Android OS at all.  Way too hard to do most things on it compared to an iPhone.  

Quoted:
LG G3. The phone is amazingly fast, huge screen and all day battery life. Doesn't hurt that the camera is excellent, and it records 4k video as well.

Meh....My i6 will last 3 days if I don't watch videos.  

It is a nice phone, other than being Android driven
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#46]
$150 a month is too much for two smart phones.  We spend $100 a month including taxes and fees for two smart phones on Straight Talk (AT&T MVNO).

If you're going to buy an iPhone, buy an unlocked one.  You should consider buying an unlocked Android phone instead though, something like a Nexus 5 or 6.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#47]
*wife and me
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I say go for it. I'm a fan of the iPhone's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Like you, I stuck with an old flip phone and didn't find the need for a smartphone. Then I made a little extra money and decided it was time to try one so I got an iPhone 4S. After having it for only a few days, I was blown away with how convenient having a smartphone is. It's a damn computer, camera, phone, clock, media player, file storage device, etc., all in your pocket.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I am very very satisfied with my iPhone 6 plus.  Got the 128 gig one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top