Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 11:49:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: I just couldn't bring myself to spend 30k on something that I didn't 'need'.

There is a 1991 Toyota pickup that's been shuffled around my family for several years, it's been titled to me for a few now and  has been sitting at my parents ever since, but it wouldn't take a ton of money to make a nice truck.

I originally bought it with the intention of fixing it and making a few bucks but it got put on the back burner, I've been selling/trading it now for 2 years but it always falls through.

Guess I'm finally going to fix her up. The only thing that sucks is it's a 2wd.
I may get a new Tacoma when my car dies.

Yes, update sucks, I know.

I honestly don't want a payment but I'm just about fed up with driving a Mustang in inclement weather, plus the miles are getting up there.

I want one of the new F150s but a Tacoma is about $20,000 less, I really don't need a big truck anyway.

I appreciate any help.

Adding a poll

My current vehicle is a 2007 Mustang V6/ 5 speed manual. About 150k on it. Gets about 26 MPG, daily commute is 74 miles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A Tacoma will be worth a lot more than an F150 in 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would hold out for the new model in Sep.

However, you should be able to cut a good deal on this years model.

Aftermarket is huge.

I'm closing in on 50k with mine with zero issues and thousands of off road miles:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Tacoma's with care & proper maintence will last a good long time.

My last bosses Tacoma V6 4x4 had close to 300K miles and it was a 2009-10

All we ever saw them for in service at my last dealership was oil change's,routine maintence ( belts,plugs,fluid change,filters ) and brakes .

Like the poster above siad if you wait til august sept or the end of the year you can get a better deal with dealer's doing what they can to get rid of old stock.

I miss my Taco Pre runner SR5 V6 . Had it for 8yr's (76K miles) and sold it in 15 minutes to carmax for way more then I owed ( Wish I kept it now that I need a vehicle )
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never been a huge fan of Toyota in general but I've always liked their small trucks.

I honestly don't want a payment but I'm just about fed up with driving a Mustang in inclement weather, plus the miles are getting up there.

I want one of the new F150s but a Tacoma is about $20,000 less, I really don't need a big truck anyway.

I appreciate any help.
View Quote

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-toyota-tacoma-official-photos-and-info-news
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my 2011 Tacoma 4x4

49K on the clock drives like a tank in the snow and ice.

1 payment left and its mine
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aftermarket is huge.

I'm closing in on 50k with mine with zero issues and thousands of off road miles:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=46072

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65495
View Quote

Great looking truck, what all have you done to it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see any substantial differences between the 2nd gen truck and the 2016. A few things they are finally changing that should have been changed in the 2005-2015 run about halfway through (new top engine option, interior design changes).

Seems more like a facelift to me, not a new generation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see any substantial differences between the 2nd gen truck and the 2016. A few things they are finally changing that should have been changed in the 2005-2015 run about halfway through (new top engine option, interior design changes).

Seems more like a facelift to me, not a new generation.
View Quote

That's what it looked like to me, I hate the headlights on the '16.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an TRD Offroad 4x4 Access cab 2014, great truck.
These trucks really hold there value.
I traded an 1998 F-150 for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
My 2002 Taco is approaching 180K, not an issue.  All original parts under the hood.  Has had Mobil 1 10W30 since 2000 miles.

I like the look af the 2016, looks like the Tundra.

I am getting ready to purchase a 4Runner Trail Premium.  

I to see the engine sice in the '16 will be lowered to a 3.5L

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Aftermarket is huge.

View Quote

Where did you get the trailer?  I am looking for one like this

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
2009 Tacoma with 114K here. Only major thing I've had to do is replace the front wheel bearings. Other than that, routine maintenance only. With the exception of a small rattle that has started in all this cold and goes away when the engine heats up, it really does run and drive the same as it did when it was new.

Contrast that with my F150, which was getting ready to drop the transmission at 78K.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aftermarket is huge.

View Quote

Nice trailer

PB160286 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]
07 Trd with 62000 here.

Do not get the 6 speed.   They break.

Frame rust may or may not still be an issue along withe rear leaf springs.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks - I love your set up.  I've been contemplating something similar.

To 77Bronc:

It took over a year of searching on CL to find this one. The first one I bought took around eight months.  I jumped on both immediately, otherwise, they move fast.  I paid $1100 for the first and $800 for the second.

To OP:

Initial set up:

All Pro rear bumper w/hidden hitch, All Pro sliders, Rotopax fuel, water and 1st aid storage containers, ANB Fabrication bed rack, Cobra CB, 265/70/17 KM2 tires, 17x8 ATX Mojave teflon rims, OME 886 coil overs, OME 9000 front shocks, OME N182 rear shocks, ToyTec stainless steel extended brake lines, light racing UCAs, OME CS 047R Dakar rear leaf springs, 2012 ARB bumper, lights, Warn XD 9000 winch.

Current:

Swapped the bed rack for a cap.

I also swapped the trailer axle out and use 6 bolt Toyota wheels.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aftermarket is huge.

Nice trailer

http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8192211776_8a3b3644b4_b.jpg</a>PB160286 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Look at the Nissan Frontier before paying way too much for the Tacoma.
If after weighing the difference and you are not satisfied then pay the near full price for the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If after weighing the difference and you are not satisfied then pay the near full price for the Tacoma.
View Quote

Look at the resale value difference between the Frontier and the Tacoma. Enough said.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2009 Tacoma with 114K here. Only major thing I've had to do is replace the front wheel bearings. Other than that, routine maintenance only. With the exception of a small rattle that has started in all this cold and goes away when the engine heats up
View Quote

I have an 09 with 83k, same rattle when cold. I think it is coolant popping against the thermostat until it opens up. Great truck, still has the factory brake pads. Put Bilstein 5100s on it!

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Look at the resale value difference between the Frontier and the Tacoma. Enough said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are buying a vehicle for resell and no other reason??
What about the likes of some of these guys that put 250,000 to 400,000 miles on a vehicle over the many years of ownership...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hater misconception. Toyota sells twice as many Tacomas as Nissan does Frontiers, but I guess it may make you feel better about your car.

What about the likes of some of these guys that put 250,000 to 400,000 miles on a vehicle over the many years of ownership...

One of the major reasons I paid more for a Tacoma over a Frontier was my intent to drive it to at least 250K.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Tacoma outranks the Frontier in reliability and the like as well. You're not really making points here. You can buy a Tacoma, put 100k on it, and still make a lot back when you resell it for a new one down the road. Or you can keep it and put a few hundred thousand miles on it, and it;ll still most likely be running pretty damn well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And the Tacoma outranks the Frontier in reliability and the like as well. You're not really making points here. You can buy a Tacoma, put 100k on it, and still make a lot back when you resell it for a new one down the road. Or you can keep it and put a few hundred thousand miles on it, and it;ll still most likely be running pretty damn well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Drive down the road and look how many Hilux bodies you see vs. Hardbodies. I'll see 10 80's Toyotas for every one 80's Nissan.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly. Drive down the road and look how many Hilux bodies you see vs. Hardbodies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Drive down the road and look how many Hilux bodies you see vs. Hardbodies.

I don't see any Hilux's today.
By the way I actually owned one that was pretty rusted out in less than five years of ownership.
I still see lot's of Hardbodies and even Mazda B2000's.
All very popular little trucks around here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Just buy a used one for 19K and be done with it. If it's had the frame recall work done, it's like buying a brand new truck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've never been a huge fan of Toyota in general but I've always liked their small trucks.

I appreciate any help.

Adding a poll

My current vehicle is a 2007 Mustang V6/ 5 speed manual. About 150k on it. Gets about 26 MPG, daily commute is 74 miles.
View Quote
Umm, no they're not. A similarly optioned F150 (XLT) Supercrew will be very similar to a 4 door, 4x4 v6 Tacoma in price.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

I will never again buy a vehicle from the first year of a new generation.  Too many bugs and quirks.

Poll is missing my recommendation.  Sell current vehicle and buy used Tacoma.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#27]
If it was me I would wait for the 2016 models with the new direct injection engines.

http://www.2015toyotatacoma.com/2016-tacoma-new-engine/
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought my Taco new in July 07.  daily commuter but I live close to where I work so I only have about 75,000 miles on it.  Only 2 real problems in that time.

1) hub caps.... damn things fall off(usually after not being put on securely when getting the oil change/tire rotation at the shop.

2) around 60-65K and I'm told again around 120 K there are issues with the U-joint in the steering column.  I had it hit right at 65K like I was told.  $400 if memory serves.

But again, its the ONLY thing I've had go wrong that wasn't my fault in the 7+ years I've had it.

Biggest pet peeve.  The wheel wells. For some reason they just could not for the life of them, design the wheel wells to have 48in clearance.  No... its 46 in between them......  Talk about friggin annoying when your picking up sheetrock or plywood!!!!!

With the '16s coming out soon I am seriously considering upgrading to a new one, but DO NOT DOUBT I'll be climbing in the bed with a tape measure!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Tacos have gotten really expensive for what they are... the front half of a 4runner and the ass end of a Taliban truck.

I have zero love for the 4 door versions, and the comfort in the back is still lacking--so it's a truck for a single dude, or a guy with a girlfriend/pirate tranny hooker.

Stay away from the short bed, it's useless. The truck also can't haul or tow as much since it's still a mid-size.

The aftermarket is huge and most people who are still enthusiastic about them make them into trail/expedition rigs.

I'll probably sell my 4Runner to pay for the divorce and get an access cab or a 2-door Taco for off road use and cheap mods with Emu/Toytec parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tacos have gotten really expensive for what they are... the front half of a 4runner and the ass end of a Taliban truck.

I have zero love for the 4 door versions, and the comfort in the back is still lacking--so it's a truck for a single dude, or a guy with a girlfriend/pirate tranny hooker.

Stay away from the short bed, it's useless. The truck also can't haul or tow as much since it's still a mid-size.

The aftermarket is huge and most people who are still enthusiastic about them make them into trail/expedition rigs.

I'll probably sell my 4Runner to pay for the divorce and get an access cab or a 2-door Taco for off road use and cheap mods with Emy/Toytec parts.
View Quote

Disagree. It's the perfect truck for my wife and I, and for our kids when they come. As is, we drive young relative and friend's kids around, and the 4 door is perfect for that. 4 adults is less comfortable, but two adults and multiple kids is fine. For an offraod truck, it's fantastic. The short bed isn't useless at all. It's hauled anything i've needed it to haul, from camping gear to large appliances to sheetrock/lumber/ect for a home renovation i;m doing. It can tow 6500, which... is really more than enough for my needs. I don't have a huge boat, an RV, ect to tow around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edmunds private party on my 3 year old Frontier PRO4X is $2200 less than I paid for it brand new off the lot.  Resale value seems pretty good to me...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I SWEAR I have never seen another vehicle that holds its value like the Taco.  It is crazy.  Go look at the used ones, you can probably buy a brand new one for only a couple thousand more than a comparably optioned 3y old one with 60k miles.  It is crazy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Expect to get shit gas mileage compared to your current car.

There are trucks that get better MPG, similar to your car.   Go with one of them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yup a 10yr old Taco goes for around $19k.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I will never again buy a vehicle from the first year of a new generation.  Too many bugs and quirks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have begun to contemplate selling my 09 and buying a current style 2015 this summer/fall when they start shipping the new design.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.  I SWEAR I have never seen another vehicle that holds its value like the Taco.  It is crazy.  Go look at the used ones, you can probably buy a brand new one for only a couple thousand more than a comparably optioned 3y old one with 60k miles.  It is crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked the trade value of mine up- 09 w/ 114K miles still gave me $15K trade in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#37]
'97 Tacoma
Quit on me (sounded like a rod) this fall so I sold it as non-running
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#38]
LMFAO at the Taco love on this forum.

Most overrated truck ever.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have an TRD Offroad 4x4 Access cab 2014, great truck.
These trucks really hold there value.
I traded an 1998 F-150 for it.
View Quote

Same truck here, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Tacoma/Hilux is one the best selling trucks worldwide. Maybe you're the one missing something.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Tacoma/Hilux is one the best selling trucks worldwide. Maybe you're the one missing something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking he either didn't see my pic before posting or doesn't know how to read an odometer
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't buy a Tacoma for a 74 mile daily commute.

This site is full of Tacoma worshippers.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I went from a 2008 Tacoma to a 2013 F150 and don't miss the Tacoma at all.   The resale on them is insane though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Drive the mustang till the wheels fall off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
74 miles a day is a lot of gas, why not just get a front wheel drive economy car?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#46]
keep current car, buy a new Tacoma, drive both into the dirt
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
74 miles a day is a lot of gas, why not just get a front wheel drive economy car?
View Quote

Which is exactly why my 2009 Frontier has so few miles.
I use it on weekends and for camping,hunting,and fishing.
My 2011 33 mpg average Corolla gets work duty M-F.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Umm, no they're not. A similarly optioned F150 (XLT) Supercrew will be very similar to a 4 door, 4x4 v6 Tacoma in price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate any help.

Adding a poll

Lol?

Just built both on Ford and Toyota's website

Ford crew cab XLT, 4x4 with the base motor for the crewcab which is a V8: $42,410
Toyota crew cab 4x4 with V6/auto: $31,980

$10,000 more for a truck that is not any more capable for the average end user (read: somebody who rarely tows, rarely hauls heavy loads, etc)? Ford sure is proud of their truck...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol?

Ford crew cab XLT, 4x4 with the base motor for the crewcab which is a V8: $42,410

$10,000 more for a truck that is not any more capable for the average end user (read: somebody who rarely tows, rarely hauls heavy loads, etc)? Ford sure is proud of their truck...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate any help.

Adding a poll

Lol?

And the Ford is a behemoth of a vehicle.
No fun at all parking those bloated bastards in a big city parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate any help.

Adding a poll

Lol?

Or taking it offroad. A Tacoma shines offroad. Big trucks have issues.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top