Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 7:26:16 PM EDT
Removing swats from school was one of the biggest mistakes ever made.  Future generations may see it as the beginning of the end of our civilization.

I can remember getting swats 3 times in school, each time for something someone else did.  I told my kids' school that they were not to touch my kids.   I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I got a lot of those. By high school I'd laugh at them while they did.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sawed off boat paddle, with holes drilled in it.  WHACK!!!!!!  Ouch!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Main problem is they DON'T GET THEM AT HOME either.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mr. Harris, my high school principal, would lift your ass right off the ground with his custom made paddle.

I guarantee you wouldn't be laughing if he busted your ass.

Bruises would last for a few weeks.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
With respect, lack of discipline at home makes a much bigger difference. Kids who have a healthy fear/respect of the consequences at home are much easier to handle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Preplanned corporal punishment doesn't do anything to curb troublemakers.

They already know the consequences and are prepared to face them.

Lack of structure at home is what spills over into kids being shit heads at school.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get it at school and then get it at home too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

With respect, lack of discipline at home makes a much bigger difference. Kids who have a healthy fear/respect of the consequences at home are much easier to handle.
View Quote
It's a package deal. Kids should know that whatever happens at school will pale in comparison to what's going to happen when the parents find out. Conversely, kids should know that their parents will always have their back when they have been wronged.

And every adult in town is watching everyone else's kids. For their protection and upbringing. It doesn't happen anymore, but we were better off when it did.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a teacher in a system that still paddles on occasion.

It works.

The problem is that the kids that need it the most are usually the kids who's parents checked "no corporal punishment" on the waiver that gets sent home at the beginning of the year.  (That being the extent of their involvement in the discipline of their child.)

It is a much more gentle process these days as only administration paddles...and it is rare.

No more coaches or shop teachers taking care of business.

Discipline starts at home.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but no kids told teachers, (or any other adults, for that matter) to FO when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
What should happen is throw a fucking beating on the parent when the child acts up.

You want discipline at home?  Whip that parent's ass.  Watch things change.

Susy Hyphen-name's little brat needs discipline?  Slap Suzy Hyphen-name around and watch the discipline flow down hill.

There need to be consequences for doing a shitty job raising your kids.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
It already is the beginning of the end. When adults can't correct children it's a sad day for humanity.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lack of structure at home is what spills over into kids being shit heads at school.
View Quote

It certainly limits the number of troublemakers that develop in the first place.  Fear of repercussions is a powerful thing, if they are real and immediate.

I remember the dead silence in the classroom, as we waited to count, and the way it echoed in the hall.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a shop aide in 8th grade.
One day the shop teacher told me to make a paddle and take it to the principal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I much prefer to spank my child in front of the class where he was causing trouble.  Only time I got called to the school for a discipline issue with my oldest son, I asked them where I could spank him.  They told me I had to check him out of school and take him off premises.  I asked them where to sign.  Took him home, took care of business and brought him back to school.  My kids understand that if I get a call from the school for them showing their ass, they are guaranteed a ferocious spanking when the get home.  It has only happened once in 7 years with 3 of my boys.  I do not like spanking, but it is used in my home as a last resort.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What should happen is throw a fucking beating on the parent when the child acts up.

Susy Hyphen-name's little brat needs discipline?  Slap Suzy Hyphen-name around and watch the discipline flow down hill.

View Quote

Jesus christ, that's the most ignorant thing I've read in a while.

You contribute perfectly to the left's sterotype of gun owners.

ETA: There needs to be a separate report button for retarded fucking posts, so everyone can read them and laugh at how fucking dumb said post is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It already is the beginning of the end. When adults can't correct children it's a sad day for humanity.
View Quote

It's worse when they declare that nobody else can do it, either.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I much prefer to spank my child in front of the class where he was causing trouble.  Only time I got called to the school for a discipline issue with my oldest son, I asked them where I could spank him.  They told me I had to check him out of school and take him off premises.  I asked them where to sign.  Took him home, took care of business and brought him back to school.  My kids understand that if I get a call from the school for them showing their ass, they are guaranteed a ferocious spanking when the get home.  It has only happened once in 7 years with 3 of my boys.  I do not like spanking, but it is used in my home as a last resort.
View Quote

Good luck with that.  Make sure you have bail lined up first.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
The problem is discipline... Not necessarily swats themselves.

I saw a kid... In the fourth grade... The "tough" kid... The class bully...

He pissed the teacher off so bad she said, "I am going to have a talk to your dad. He said to tell him directly if I ever have a problem with you."

She didn't strike the kid.

She didn't swat the kid...

She did not even touch the kid.

He was bawling like a baby in his seat. His shirt was wet with his tears. He did *everything* the teacher said. Exaggerated his obedience hoping that she would change her mind.

She didn't.

He showed clear signs of "discipline" (he looked like this, minus the smile ) the day after, and he toed the line from that day forward... Graduated with him eight years later...

The problem is not necessarily "swatting" the kids, or physically hurting the kids... The liability is too huge for that to be anything but a completely stupid idea to begin with... In this day and age...

Looking back on my childhood, back when it was "legal" and there were times when I had it coming, then there were times when, looking back, there were adults who just like hitting (little) people who they knew would not/could not hit back...

The problem in our society is not necessarily hitting kids... It is in disciplining kids.

Kids have no discipline today... None.

That is the problem.

The lack of discipline is destroying our youth...

Swatting is a lazy form of discipline anyway... Once a kid has been shown the right way, and understands the outcome they will usually try their darndest to do what you want... Just today, my boy was making my blood boil. I told him to shovel the driveway. Instead, he was playing in the snow. It turned into an argument, as he had accepted the chore of shoveling the driveway. I would not be honest, if I did not say that I thought about smacking the crap out of him... Then I found out why he was slow-walking the job... He wanted to build an igloo, like he had on a scout trip. So... I explained that he could shovel the driveway, and use all the snow on the driveway for his pile of snow, but I was going to take the shovel away if he was not going to use it... And let another kid do the chore, and give him 10 more chores to do in exchange... And he would have no tools to work on his snow cave... So... He ended up shoveling the driveway. It took him forever, but we did not need to go anywhere... But he built a snow mountain with the driveway snow, and dug a tunnel in it like a cave... He shoveled the driveway, I got what I wanted... And he got a snowcave... He got what he wanted... And no one got hit...

Discipline, and lack of leadership is the problem facing our youth... Not necessarily lack of "swats."

Another story...

I was shopping in a small rural grocery store after work on a Friday a couple years ago...

An older woman brought in a child that was screaming its lungs out... Kid was 3-4 years old, the woman was obviously the kids grandma...

They were shopping in a crowded store, and the grandma was having trouble with the kid. The kid was screaming its lungs out...

I could tell that the grandma was seriously embarrassed.

When I got in line, a guy was between me and the grandma with the screaming kid... The kid was red in the face, tears streaming down its face...

The guy said, "You better make that kid shut up, or I will."

I became unglued... I said to the grandma, "My kid looked like that, and she had an ear infection. Is she crying because she wants candy, or for no apparent reason."

The grandma said, "She is fed and happy, does not want anything here, and it is getting worse and worse."

I said, "Take the kid to a doctor, because my kid acted like that, and she had a ear infection." She said "thanks," paid for her things, and left

The guy looked at me like he wanted to fight... I said to him I did not want any trouble, and that I have my own kids... He said something under his breath, and paid for his stuff and left...

I have thought about what I would have done if some random guy started to go after the grandma and her kid... What if he tried to get the kid to be quiet... I thought that the kid was annoying too... But I hope I would have tried to keep the guy from hurting the kid...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mr. Harris, my high school principal, would lift your ass right off the ground with his custom made paddle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School, Swim Practice, and Scouts.......I got my ass beat a lot.

Worst was standing on the pool deck in freezing temps in a wet speedo getting a swat for playing grab ass with the girls in the foggy pool.

Good times
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Of course you had to bend over and grab your ankles......not many kids could do that today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think some pervert public school employee spanking a kid on the ass for not paying attention to the LGBTQWTF history lecture is such a good idea
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#23]

I had a teacher in elementary school who grew up in a small town in rural Utah...

He told the story of a teacher who used to like to work the kids over for "punishment."

At first, the parents appreciated it, and thought it was great to see the kids scared to go to school...

Then bruises, and bumps... And a kids arm got broken...

Parents started listening to the kids, and talked to the teacher... And the abuse did not stop.

So, a couple of the men in town, pulled the teacher aside after school and broke his arm...

From that day on, the school district enacted a rule where the teachers could not use corporal punishment...

He would have been in school in the 1950s... I had him in the early 1980s...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
if some teacher touched my kid, I would rip their fucking arms off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't disagree more. I OK with spanking in some circumstances but we now have schools filled with degenerates and weirdos. We can't even trust schools on curriculum, why would I allow them to touch my kid?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

those kind take swats like Denzel Washington in Glory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Of course you had to bend over and grab your ankles......not many kids could do that today.
View Quote

Ha!  Good point!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Removing swats from school was one of the biggest mistakes ever made.  Future generations may see it as the beginning of the end of our civilization.

I can remember getting swats 3 times in school, each time for something someone else did.  I told my kids' school that they were not to touch my kids.   I was wrong.
View Quote

No, you were right.

As a parent I rarely, rarely, very rarely hit my children.  I will swat them when they deserve it but but my threshold of deserve is pretty high.

As a teacher, even if I was allowed, I would not hit one of my students.  As a matter of fact, I rarely raise my voice when dealing with students.

At school I try to imagine that the father of the student I'm dealing with is standing just outside my classroom door and I try to act in a way that wouldn't earn me a punch in the mouth.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, you were right.

As a parent I rarely, rarely, very rarely hit my children.  I will swat them when they deserve it but but my threshold of deserve is very high.

As a teacher, even if I was allowed, I would not hit one of my students.  As a matter of fact, I rarely raise my voice when dealing with students.

At school I try to imagine that the father of the student I'm dealing with is standing just outside my classroom door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you were right.

As a parent I rarely, rarely, very rarely hit my children.  I will swat them when they deserve it but but my threshold of deserve is very high.

At school I try to imagine that the father of the student I'm dealing with is standing just outside my classroom door.

That is certainly a prudent position to take in the world we now live in.  I don't know whether removing swats is a cause or affect of that world.

It's good that you rarely hit your kids.  You shouldn't have too.  Teachers very rarely hit kids when I was in school, too.  It wasn't the swats, but the possibility of them that was so affective.  Even though you rarely hit your kids, they know the possibility exists.  That fact is a powerful factor in the grand scheme of things.  They know you'll do it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]
What about the Adrian Petersen approach?   Crack dat ass!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone did that to their own kid it would be considered child abuse.    If you did that to an adult, it would be aggravated assault.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If someone did that to their own kid it would be considered child abuse.    If you did that to an adult, it would be aggravated assault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your BS filter is broken.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wiped the tears from your eyes and went back to class with a whole different attitude.   Different times.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know that we can't paddle them without your permission right?

The only time I've had to go hands on is in the process of stopping fights.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ETA: There needs to be a separate report button for retarded fucking posts, so everyone can read them and laugh at how fucking dumb said post is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discipline needs to start somewhere.  Perhaps Suzy hyphen-name should be jailed for having an undisciplined child?  Should she be fined?  Make it profitable for a parent to discipline their children, and children will be disciplined.  Should Suzy be rewarded for disciplining, or punished for not so?  or do you disagree with the verbiage I chose?  Suzy hyphen-name should be held responsible if her bad parenting negatively impacts society.  If the discipline isn't coming from the parent, the parent should be encouraged to discipline the child.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Bureaucrats administering a battery on my minor child as a means of corrective behavior?  wrong answer
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

Bureaucrats administering a battery on my minor child as a means of corrective behavior?  wrong answer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Double this, I cannot stand to see parents bullying their kids, let alone a teacher.  I call parents out in public for getting rough with kids, I have never had a parent take me up the offer to get rough with someone their own size or larger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Double this, I cannot stand to see parents bullying their kids, let alone a teacher.  I call parents out in public for getting rough with kids, I have never had a parent take me up the offer to get rough with someone their own size or larger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Administering a spanking is not bullying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Unfortunately, nobody wants to blame himself when it's much easier to blame everything on the liberal schools.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Be careful.
Go into the wrong neighborhood with the the right type of parent and you may find yourself getting knocked out by interferring in their business.
I know where your coming from but still...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
We got the option to get them from our coaches in lieu of detention, in school suspension, etc. when we played sports.

I ALWAYS opted for a few pops instead of sitting around with the deadheads for hours on end.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Spankings should be quick and without warning. Lots of people cross a line with them. I think the planning of a spanking is borderline psychotic. If the behavior needs to be corrected, pop the kid on the butt and carry on without emotion.

I've used them a handful of times effectively.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Be careful.
Go into the wrong neighborhood with the the right type of parent and you may find yourself getting knocked out by interferring in their business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Be careful.

I am not talking about the mom who gives her kid a swat because it ran into the parking and scared the shit out of her, I mean the guy grabbing a two year old by the arms or has his litter of kids in the back seat bouncing around unbelted.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Not a fan of letting a strange adult hit my kid.

Also, if you can't figure out a better way to discipline a kid who's old enough to speak and reason than to hit them, you're not trying hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, this.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen. We had paddling when I stared school and everyone was horrified at the principal's paddle - holes in it, scary looking, it was the thing of legends and fear.

If I ever got in trouble at school, I was 1% worried about the paddle and 99% worried about what would happen when I went home after getting in trouble at school.I can tell you it was extremely rare I ever got out of line.

Shit works, and we need to get back to it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top