Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 6:47:04 PM EDT
One of my foster dogs, The Dude has a potentially great home. He is a small, probably pit bull mix. The problem is geography. I'm in Kentucky and The Dude needs a ride to Washington state. Flying is out. Land based per courier is prohibitively expensive.

Sooo...I'm taking a long shot here.  I'm hoping to find an RVer, long haul trucker, vacationer or a trans continental wanderer that might be travelling anywhere near the Midwest to the northwest. Get us close and I'll figure out the rest. I'm not rich but will kick in some gas $$$, Semper Fi Dog Rescue stickers for your gun safe or car, tons of good karma and internet fame.

He is 42 lbs. absolutely a sweet heart and great in the car. (~14 hrs from the gulf to me, no kennel box, no problems). The timing is up to you but I have 2 Arfcom teenagers on the receiving end waiting for their dog. Thank you for considering, Joker1

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What a gorgeous boy. Wish I weren't so far south from the route.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll help pitch on the cost of air/land transport.  Keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks TT. Generous offer. Air travel is restricted because of his lineage. Ground transport is expensive enough that even if it is donated I couldn't justify spending it on one dog. The cost could literally save 10 other dogs. I'd rather see the money go to saving other dogs. This one is now out of danger. He just needs to get home.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a gorgeous boy. Wish I weren't so far south from the route.
View Quote

Ain't he though? I always thought he would make a beautiful stock for one of Fluffy's Garands or a nice coffee table.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I read stuff like this and wish I could send the OP an IM and jump in the car and start driving. From A to B to HOME.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read stuff like this and wish I could send the OP an IM and jump in the car and start driving. From A to B to HOME.

Good luck OP.
View Quote

Highjacking my own thread.
Is this you?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
We're the ones hoping to adopt The Dude. We can make it over to Billings Mt. Or maybe even Rapid City SD on a weekend and we'd be happy to pitch in on gas for any help getting him up here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If you end up doing a shuttle,I could take from about Evanston to twin falls or Idaho falls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks TT. Generous offer. Air travel is restricted because of his lineage. Ground transport is expensive enough that even if it is donated I couldn't justify spending it on one dog. The cost could literally save 10 other dogs. I'd rather see the money go to saving other dogs. This one is now out of danger. He just needs to get home.
View Quote

Ok, fair enough.

Let me know if you change your mind.

Keep in mind that I'm not going to probably give you anything to help your other dogs, so this isn't a sunk cost for you.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok, fair enough.

Keep in mind that I'm not going to probably give you anything to help your other dogs, so this isn't a sunk cost for you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, fair enough.

I understand that. It still applies. Feels like poor value to put a ton of funds in one animal that is essentially safe. And I still appreciate the offer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't help with the transport, but if you decide to accept donations shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the offer. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the wrong way for me to help drive, but I'm good for some $$ for transport costs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Had I still planned on driving to CWW in AZ I could have picked him up and taken him anywhere in WA, however I was handed free plane tickets for the trip. Wish I could help. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Good looking Pup

I'm good for 20$ for gas, shoot me a PM when all is set
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful dog.

Sorry I can't help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Check with Delta Pet First. While it appears he is restricted from shipping as checked baggage, he might be able to fly as cargo.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
We can do a couple hundred miles in southwest Idaho.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't find a way a way to convince myself that he could pass for not being on the "list".

Delta no longer accepts snub-nosed or pug-nosed dogs and cats as checked baggage. Certain breeds may be acceptable for transport as cargo via Pets First.

Snub- or Pug-nosed Dogs:
American Bulldog
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Brussels Griffin
Bulldog*
Chinese Pug
Chow Chow
Dutch Pug
English Bulldog
English Toy Spaniel
French Bulldog
Lhasa Apso
Japanese Boxer
Japanese Pug
Japanese Spaniel (Chin)
Mastiff (all breeds)
Pekinese
Pit Bull
Pug
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Tibetan Spaniel

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We can do a couple hundred miles in southwest Idaho.

View Quote

This is most interesting. Hypothetically would you be available in early June?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you end up doing a shuttle,I could take from about Evanston to twin falls or Idaho falls.
View Quote

Interesting. A southern route is taking shape. Hypothetically would you be available in early june?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
May be looking at surgery in June, but if not, I could probably swing the state of CO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
May be looking at surgery in June, but if not, I could probably swing the state of CO.
View Quote

I hope you don't need surgery and not just for selfish reasons! If things work out your leg could be extremely useful. Keep in touch and let me know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm way out of target range but if you ever need transport around Michigan/Ohio let me know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm overseas right now, get stateside in about a week.  I could pick up from Bozeman and take to anywhere in Washington if that would help a relay.

I love dogs and love road trips.

Let me know.

Chuck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm overseas right now, get stateside in about a week.  I could pick up from Bozeman and take to anywhere in Washington if that would help a relay.

Let me know.

Chuck.
View Quote

I will log this for a possible northern route.

Thank you to everyone so far for their support!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Let me know.

Chuck.
View Quote

If the little guy was being flown into KRNT or KBFI not on an airliner, I should be able to meet the plane, and hold onto the dog until his new family can get him.

His camo will prevent the wife from noticing the extra mouth...

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
SW Idaho here as well.  Good for a leg of transport, some travel $, or pit stop etc.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys. I'm gathering puzzles pieces right now. Soon I'll play connect the dots and see what happens.

If we can make this happen it will be a 2,000 mile freedom ride!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm driving from SW Missouri to Denver on March 12th and again on March 27th.  I don't know if that works with your timeline, but I would be happy to help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I can help or handle CO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Noted. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is an potential route based on Beardog's SW Missouri to Devner leg. He'll e travelling both March 12th and March 27th. I will take the first leg but can't make it to Springfield, MO. 1100 miles round trip is to much for my dogs left alone at home.  I need some volunteers that could cover from the Ind./Ill. border to SW Missouri leg.

Many offers still need to be confirmed and the timing has to be right. If you see a stretch you could help with please chime in. I may be filling lots of holes in this route.

This is amazing. Thank you so much for your support. This is turning into a 2600 mile freedom ride!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can't find a way a way to convince myself that he could pass for not being on the "list".

Delta no longer accepts snub-nosed or pug-nosed dogs and cats as checked baggage. Certain breeds may be acceptable for transport as cargo via Pets First.

Snub- or Pug-nosed Dogs:
American Bulldog
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Brussels Griffin
Bulldog*
Chinese Pug
Chow Chow
Dutch Pug
English Bulldog
English Toy Spaniel
French Bulldog
Lhasa Apso
Japanese Boxer
Japanese Pug
Japanese Spaniel (Chin)
Mastiff (all breeds)
Pekinese
Pit Bull
Pug
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu
Tibetan Spaniel

View Quote

Take him to the vet to see is he has brachycephalic airway  syndrome. If he doesn't, ask the airline with a vet's letter in hand. All they can do is say no.

ETA: Good looking boy. I have a female brindle about that size. Though she is mixed with cattle dog.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
What is the destination in WA? I'd drive to Yakima and bring him anywhere west of there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is the destination in WA? I'd drive to Yakima and bring him anywhere west of there.
View Quote

Spokane.
I can get him anywhere within about 800 miles of Spokane on a weekend.

Thank you everyone, especially Joker!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Take him to the vet to see is he has brachycephalic airway  syndrome. If he doesn't, ask the airline with a vet's letter in hand. All they can do is say no.

ETA: Good looking boy. I have a female brindle about that size. Though she is mixed with cattle dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snub- or Pug-nosed Dogs:
American Bulldog
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Brussels Griffin
Bulldog*
Chinese Pug
Chow Chow
Dutch Pug
English Bulldog
English Toy Spaniel
French Bulldog
Lhasa Apso
Japanese Boxer
Japanese Pug
Japanese Spaniel (Chin)
Mastiff (all breeds)
Pekinese
Pit Bull
Pug
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu
Tibetan Spaniel

His nose is longer than 2 of my similar weight springers. I think the airlines are just covering their ass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spokane.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, just looking at the calender and thinking. If I can get the 30th off I could probably make it to Denver to meet Beardog depending on how long he plans on being in Denver.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Interesting. A southern route is taking shape. Hypothetically would you be available in early june?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only thing I have set in stone and cant help Is the last week of april/first week of may.  

and from your map, I could pick up in park city/heber city/slc area if you wanted.

would just need a week or so in advanced notice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Set up a paypal or fund raiser for this.  I'm in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm leaving out of Springfield but to avoid someone having to head south, I can pick up the pup anywhere along my route from Springfield to Kansas City.  Then I'll get him to Denver.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If the little guy was being flown into KRNT or KBFI not on an airliner, I should be able to meet the plane, and hold onto the dog until his new family can get him.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10446306_10204461108942363_6179661934425756090_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know.

Chuck.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10446306_10204461108942363_6179661934425756090_o.jpg

Ok Gunny - what the hell are those hounds?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Great looking guy. Hope the trip works out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know.

Chuck.

Greyhounds or Whippets is my guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know.
Chuck.

Real ex-racing greyhounds, ranging from 58-65 lbs.

The 3yr old girl (in front) had a shattered left scapula coming off the track, leaving her with a bad limp. The 1yr old boy (laying down) came off of the truck from a KS racing kennel, in Dec '14, with a badly atrophied right leg and an open wound on the top of his paw from dragging it across concrete, for a long time.

The 5yr old boy? He had a stellar racing career... only 6 losses.... in 7 races

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here is an potential route based on Beardog's SW Missouri to Devner leg. He'll e travelling both March 12th and March 27th. I will take the first leg but can't make it to Springfield, MO. 1100 miles round trip is to much for my dogs left alone at home.  I need some volunteers that could cover from the Ind./Ill. border to SW Missouri leg.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/map%20march%20southern%20route_1.jpg

Many offers still need to be confirmed and the timing has to be right. If you see a stretch you could help with please chime in. I may be filling lots of holes in this route.

This is amazing. Thank you so much for your support. This is turning into a 2600 mile freedom ride!
View Quote

I would suggest getting the pup up to I-90. That is a major coast to coast truck route and I'm sure you will find a trucker that won't mind the company for a day or two.

Good luck OP !
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would suggest getting the pup up to I-90. That is a major coast to coast truck route and I'm sure you will find a trucker that won't mind the company for a day or two.

Good luck OP !
View Quote

This.

Hmmm.....

I'm thinkin'.

Scary, but I'm thinkin'.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for the OR/WA stretch if the schedule works out.  It's a bunch out of my way, but it's worth it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top