Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 3/1/2015 3:39:02 PM EDT
I was lucky enough to have a guy send me some Level IIIA riot shield windows to shoot, and since I had shot subsonic 300blk into a piece of old bullet-resistant glass awhile back and it managed to slip through I figured why not put this piece in front of the ballistic gel and see if the round would still be lethal after perforating the window.

As it turns out, not very lethal lol.  This is a brand new Level IIIA window, not some old piece of crap that came out of a gas station years and years ago that had an unknown rating.  Evidently that makes a difference .

I am prepared for all the talk about supersonic 300blk, which seems to be instantly where 300blk fans go when you bring up the shortcomings of subsonic 300blk.  And no I don't place some great value on being able to shoot through riot shield windows I am simply pointing out that subsonic 300blk is not just a quiet version of a rifle round.

Phone user link: http://youtu.be/8GMZDFRnX4M  

Keep in mind the entirety of YouTube (or the Internet for that matter) isn't as gun savvy as arfcom so sometimes I like to make videos that are eye opening to the masses even if they are obvious to arfcom.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome video dude!

Have you shot Level IIIA soft armor or helmet with a subsonic 300blk?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah,but what about supersonic?!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Awesome video dude!

Have you shot Level IIIA soft armor or helmet with a subsonic 300blk?
View Quote

Thanks!

And no I tried it against Level II and it went through but no IIIA panels or helmets yet.  I am looking to get some helmets soon though, I am trying to built relationships with suppliers to get more cosmetic rejects or samples.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yeah,but what about supersonic?!!!!!
View Quote
LOL exactly!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I detect a certain level of butthurt in both your post and the video.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a fan of 300 Blk. Mine is my go to deer rifle. That being said, doesn't surprise it that it failed to penetrate. Subs are really meant for close range quiet work. Not penetrating armor. You want to penetrate armor or kill a deer, load in some supers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So the glass did what it is supposed to do ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you tried tape over the mic hold when it's windy?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I like your videos, but I am still amazed at how you started this by trying to "prove" how horrible 300blk subsonic is and it kept surprising you and yet you finally got something it "failed" at and yet that makes it completely useless?

Not sure exactly how trying to do so something it was not designed to do makes it a failing at other things that it can do well.  I have found subsonic great for hunting.  I do not use subsonic 300 blk to try to defeat armor but that certainly does not make it useless.

Anyway keep up the videos.  I look forward to the one you do showing how useless it is a anything but being quite, when it fails to penetrate 3/4 cold roll steel
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol....video was retarded, not much point when your obviously biased.  So armor that is supposed to protect against something did it's job and yet it's the rounds fault???

Try shooting a subsonic .308 at it (do they even make such a round?) and see what happens, then report back on how it's a crap round as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why would I be butthurt that subsonic 300blk is weak?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Have you tried tape over the mic hold when it's windy?
View Quote
I filmed 5 videos that one windy day, I didn't know the audio was ruined until I got home.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Honest suggestion: remove the petty comments and personal bias and just present the facts.  It really cheapens what is a high-quality video that could serve to be helpful/informative based purely on the facts it portrays.  Facts  = general respect from the community, obvious axe to grind = not so much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I like your videos, but I am still amazed at how you started this by trying to "prove" how horrible 300blk subsonic is and it kept surprising you and yet you finally got something it "failed" at and yet that makes it completely useless?

Not sure exactly how trying to do so something it was not designed to do makes it a failing at other things that it can do well.  I have found subsonic great for hunting.  I do not use subsonic 300 blk to try to defeat armor but that certainly does not make it useless.

Anyway keep up the videos.  I look forward to the one you do showing how useless it is a anything but being quite, when it fails to penetrate 3/4 cold roll steel

View Quote
I never tried to prove how horrible it was, I said it carries the energy of a pistol and the sectional density has limited applications where it is a benefit.  Usually in soft tissue the section density leads to less tissue disruption and over penetration.

If I tried to use it for something it wasn't designed for, what was it designed for?  Short of AP ammo I don't see how you could say anything was "designed" to go through this window.  My point was that it's a rifle round that in a lot of cases performs worse than a pistol.  And that is something I see as useless.

It can't even penetrate 1/8 A36 btw lol  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Lol....video was retarded, not much point when your obviously biased.  So armor that is supposed to protect against something did it's job and yet it's the rounds fault???

Try shooting a subsonic .308 at it (do they even make such a round?) and see what happens, then report back on how it's a crap round as well.
View Quote
The armor is rated for 9mm and 44mag not rifles.

Subsonic .308 would be crap, subsonic rifles are fucking stupid.  This one couldn't even knock over a piece of free standing plastic lol
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honest suggestion: remove the petty comments and personal bias and just present the facts.  It really cheapens what is a high-quality video that could serve to be helpful/informative based purely on the facts it portrays.  Facts  = general respect from the community, obvious axe to grind = not so much.
View Quote

+1, it will make for a more credible experiment.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Please point out the petty comments and personal bias I included.  

This isn't my first subsonic 300blk video, I have already tried the pure fact based approach and got 1000 comments about supers and 7.62x39 etc, any comments I made were in preparation for the expected inbound derp.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Goddamn, now the fuckers breaking into my house have riot shields?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never tried to prove how horrible it was, I said it carries the energy of a pistol and the sectional density has limited applications where it is a benefit.  Usually in soft tissue the section density leads to less tissue disruption and over penetration.

If I tried to use it for something it wasn't designed for, what was it designed for?  Short of AP ammo I don't see how you could say anything was "designed" to go through this window.  My point was that it's a rifle round that in a lot of cases performs worse than a pistol.  And that is something I see as useless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering how often you contradict yourself, do you even know what you are doing?  You sure are expelling a lot of energy and time over this, are you sure you aren't a closet .300 lover?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This isn't my first subsonic 300blk video, I have already tried the pure fact based approach and got 1000 comments about supers and 7.62x39 etc, any comments I made were in preparation for the expected inbound derp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me a pistol that you can shoot suppressed and still spit out 220gr rounds in a close combat situation and still using the same mags, barrel, weapon system etc. start shooting 2300+fps rounds with an effective range of 3-400yds?  Don't worry, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
]I never tried to prove how horrible it was, I said it carries the energy of a pistol and the sectional density has limited applications where it is a benefit.  Usually in soft tissue the section density leads to less tissue disruption and over penetration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
]I never tried to prove how horrible it was, I said it carries the energy of a pistol and the sectional density has limited applications where it is a benefit.  Usually in soft tissue the section density leads to less tissue disruption and over penetration.

if you are going to be disingenuous and compare an expanding 9mm, 40 or .45 round to a 220smk subsonic then yes sir the pistol rounds will perform better,  but if you were to do an honest comparison with an expanding 300 blk subsonic round you might find different results

Quoted:

well if you put a 9mm, 40 or 45 in a rifle package is it now a rifle round?

Quoted:

Well 30/06 armor piercing won't pierce 3/4 cold rolled steel so it is useless.

don't get me wrong I do like your videos.  but you assessments are a little off in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't think that OTM would be great against barriers even at a higher velocity.

It is cool to see some testing on subs.

We already have a pretty good idea about how .300 performs against barriers with supers:

Link to .300 barrier info in Ammo FAQ
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
also i would like to see the same test with a 7.5 inch 5.56.

seems like that would be a more fair comparison.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Subsonic .308 would be crap, subsonic rifles are fucking stupid.  This one couldn't even knock over a piece of free standing plastic lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is a subsonic rifle?  pretty sure if I throw any of my rifles they will be subsonic.

I have found subsonic 300blk to be a very good hunting round when loaded with a properly designed bullet, and have even had good success with less then optimally designed bullets.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you use subsonic ammo for HD?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.

300BLK is predominately a SBR round, so the only comparisons that interest me are against other SBR configurations.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't useless, but like every other ammo/rifle, it has limited uses. It is very quiet and fun to shoot at the range. I would use it to hunt coyotes and small game at close range (I believe more than a few have used it for deer).

But instead of it just being a fun toy with pistol ballistics, you change mags and get a kick ass SBR. I really don't understand the .300 BLK hate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Considering how often you contradict yourself, do you even know what you are doing?  You sure are expelling a lot of energy and time over this, are you sure you aren't a closet .300 lover?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own one don't I

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Show me a pistol that you can shoot suppressed and still spit out 220gr rounds in a close combat situation and still using the same mags, barrel, weapon system etc. start shooting 2300+fps rounds with an effective range of 3-400yds?  Don't worry, I'll wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh yes, the supersonic comments.  I was waiting for those lol

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
if you are going to be disingenuous and compare an expanding 9mm, 40 or .45 round to a 220smk subsonic then yes sir the pistol rounds will perform better,  but if you were to do an honest comparison with an expanding 300 blk subsonic round you might find different results

don't get me wrong I do like your videos.  but you assessments are a little off in my opinion
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think PCC's are a good setup?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the video:

We’re going to take a shot with everyone’s favorite pistol-energy rifle
Where the exit would be if subsonic 300blk wasn’t weak…
Subsonic 300blk is good at being quiet and not much else…
As always comments are welcome!  Even though I know most of them will be about supersonic 300blk not subsonic…

I'm not trying to hate on you, just giving some honest constructive criticism.  These comments, as written, are petty, perhaps immature or even a bit passive-aggressive.  (pick your adjective)  Whatever you call them, they detract from the facts and bait people into the arguments seen here.  Perhaps that's what you're after, which is fine.  just offering my comments, though, since you said they're always welcome!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree.

300BLK is predominately a SBR round, so the only comparisons that interest me are against other SBR configurations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

All subsonic ammo is going to be pretty weak sauce against armor/barriers. Although, some of the stuff guys are doing with .300 subs is impressive (killing deer).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I own one don't I  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own one don't I  

damn with double speak like that you should run for office.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Actually yes, I agree with that.  The shortest 5.56 I have is a 9" but this 300blk I was shooting is a 10.5".

If I trusted that this plate had some uncompromised room left on it I would do that, I don't think there is much left though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"everyones favorite pistol energy rifle"

"where it would have exited is subsonic .300blk wasn't weak"

While both are true, they both reek of someone who has an axe to grind for whatever reason.  You're going to get derp either way, that's what 90% youtube comments are.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

10, nooo maybe not.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What exactly is a subsonic rifle?  pretty sure if I throw any of my rifles they will be subsonic.

I have found subsonic 300blk to be a very good hunting round when loaded with a properly designed bullet, and have even had good success with less then optimally designed bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol you got me, rifle rounds not rifles.  Although a supersonic rifle would be a formidable weapon.

I know a lot of people kill hogs and deer with subsonic 300blk, it's still not the best choice IMO.  It's not like I'm over here telling people not to buy it or use it, I haven't sold mine and don't plan to.  I just think that subsonic 300blk is a piss poor rifle round with very limited application.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a prime example of why I keep saying that subsonic 300blk is not that great, 99% of the subsonic rounds loaded for it would be a terrible HD round.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lol you got me, rifle rounds not rifles.  Although a supersonic rifle would be a formidable weapon.  

I know a lot of people kill hogs and deer with subsonic 300blk, it's still not the best choice IMO.  It's not like I'm over here telling people not to buy it or use it, I haven't sold mine and don't plan to.  I just think that subsonic 300blk is a piss poor rifle round with very limited application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right.

Also, the fun part I mentioned earlier is subjective. People shouldn't buy these rifles, the ammo, or components to load it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was wondering.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It isn't useless, but like every other ammo/rifle, it has limited uses. It is very quiet and fun to shoot at the range. I would use it to hunt coyotes and small game at close range (I believe more than a few have used it for deer).

But instead of it just being a fun toy with pistol ballistics, you change mags and get a kick ass SBR. I really don't understand the .300 BLK hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.  Useless was a poor choice of word.  Limited application would be more accurate.

And I also agree, the best thing about subsonic 300blk is that you can switch mags to supersonic 300blk LOL
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That is a prime example of why I keep saying that subsonic 300blk is not that great, 99% of the subsonic rounds loaded for it would be a terrible HD round.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People use 12Ga birdshot, Taurus Judge .410 and .22lr for HD. You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You're right.  Useless was a poor choice of word.  Limited application would be more accurate.  

And I also agree, the best thing about subsonic 300blk is that you can switch mags to supersonic 300blk LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you eliminate hunting and range shooting from usefulness, 99.99% of our guns are useless 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
From the video:

As always comments are welcome!  Even though I know most of them will be about supersonic 300blk not subsonic…

I'm not trying to hate on you, just giving some honest constructive criticism.  These comments, as written, are petty, perhaps immature or even a bit passive-aggressive.  (pick your adjective)  Whatever you call them, they detract from the facts and bait people into the arguments seen here.  Perhaps that's what you're after, which is fine.  just offering my comments, though, since you said they're always welcome!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the video:

I do love the comments, thank you.

And to reply:

The subsonic 300blk is the most popular rifle cartridge with pistol equivalent energy.  Fact.

The subsonic 300blk is weak compared to other rifle cartridges.  Fact.

Subsonic 300blk is good at being quiet, it is not good at tissue disruption, temporary wound cavity, expansion, fragmentation, hard barrier penetration.  All things a rifle should be good at.  Fact.

Wait a week and go read the comments left on the YouTube video and count what % of them mention supersonic 300blk, and that too will be a fact.

Sounds to me like I listed a bunch of facts that you misinterpreted as petty comments.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to shit on .300 black too. Then Someone told me just how cheap and effective it can be with cast bullets.

the .300 makes alot of sense if you can cast and reload. It will shoot flatter subsonic then pistol cartridges from short barrels. And for game getting that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own one don't I  

You act like I set out to prove it was horrible.  The last time I shot some of this into bullet resistant polycarbonate it went right through.  The only reason I even did this again was because several people (including me) wanted to see how lethal the round would be after it passed through.  I fully expected it to go through, and when it didn't I chalked it up to "oh well subsonic 300blk is weak, all the 300blk lovers are going to bitch about this video".

And now here we are
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell is your point?  The beauty of the 300 blk platform is its versatility.  Your harping over subsonic rounds makes you sound petty and ignorant.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
People use 12Ga birdshot, Taurus Judge .410 and .22lr for HD. You can't fix stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always try and figure out some way to word that I think that subsonic 300blk is the birdshot of rifle rounds but it never seems to come out right lol

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I used to shit on .300 black too. Then Someone told me just how cheap and effective it can be with cast bullets.

the .300 makes alot of sense if you can cast and reload. It will shoot flatter subsonic then pistol cartridges from short barrels. And for game getting that is a good thing.
View Quote
I agree that if you reload it makes 300blk MUCH more appealing.  In lots of different ways.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What the hell is your point?  The beauty of the 300 blk platform is its versatility.  Your harping over subsonic rounds makes you sound petty and ignorant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the ignorant people are the ones who think that because the box still says 300blk it's going to perform like a quiet rifle.  While you may not be one of those people, they still exist.

A lot of arfcom is very far removed from the idiot general gun shooting population.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top