Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the advantage of the curved edge screen ?
View Quote

So every time you pick it up your fingers touch the screen on the edge where you're holding it making it launch random apps at random times when you were just wanting to check that text message.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not a phone movie watcher but that makes sense.  

For music, have you tried services like Google Music?  I uploaded all my music to that service years ago and haven't stored locally since.  It's quite frankly indistinguishable from having it stored locally 99% of the time and recently played music is cached so you aren't constantly using wireless data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No SD slot and a built in battery? Fucking pass.

What do people use an SD slot for anyway these days?

Honest question.  The only things that really live on my phone's local storage are applications these days and I don't need removable media to get stuff on to or off of my phone.

I use mine as extra storage for music apps and movies.  That way I dont have to buy the phone with the extra memory. I suspect that is the real reason sd slots are diappearing from smart phones.

I'm not a phone movie watcher but that makes sense.  

For music, have you tried services like Google Music?  I uploaded all my music to that service years ago and haven't stored locally since.  It's quite frankly indistinguishable from having it stored locally 99% of the time and recently played music is cached so you aren't constantly using wireless data.

That's great...right up until you leave the range of your cloud, or it goes down for some reason.

I use my phone while backpacking as a navigation aid, camera, journal, e-reader, and entertainment device. The ability to store gigs and gigs of high resolution topo maps, photos, books, music, and movies (it is guaranteed to rain on a long backpacking trip) is huge for me.

Also, like others have said, they keep drawing power even when powered off. So if you leave the battery in, they will draw it down. Combine that with the fact that extra batteries are a fraction of the weight of a USB charging device, and it becomes a necessity.

I will not buy a phone that lacks removable media and batteries.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No SD card slot?  no want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, it doesn't.

I only pocket carry and have always carried upright.

Who out there carries their phone upside down in their pocket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I don't understand is why Apple and now Samsung want to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone? That makes listening with earbuds tougher on people who carry their phones in a holster or belt case.

It makes perfect sense

Most people will have their phone in their pocket while listening to headphones. When you put your phone in your pocket after using it, it will be upside down... If the jack is on the top you will be crushing your cord.

No, it doesn't.

I do

your way seems unnatural
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do

your way seems unnatural
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I don't understand is why Apple and now Samsung want to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone? That makes listening with earbuds tougher on people who carry their phones in a holster or belt case.

It makes perfect sense

Most people will have their phone in their pocket while listening to headphones. When you put your phone in your pocket after using it, it will be upside down... If the jack is on the top you will be crushing your cord.

No, it doesn't.

I do

your way seems unnatural

Incorrect. YOUR way seems unnatural.

I've never carried mine upside down.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great. Now I can get a deal on a new S4.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Look at the big brain on Skibane!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I don't understand is why Apple and now Samsung want to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone?

My guess is that it makes the headphone jack less vulnerable to water ingress.

With the jack on the top, rain water follows the headphone cord down to where it plugs into the jack.

With the jack on the bottom, rain water drips off the lowest point of the cord before it loops up to plug into the jack.

"Drip Loop", and all that...

Look at the big brain on Skibane!

Unless the whole point is defeated by placing the phone in your pocket with the cord up, like a normal person.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
LG G3 - Great phone.

If LG or HTC keeps putting out great phones with SD slots and a replaceable battery then I won't go back to Samsung.  My GS3 was a darn good phone with poor battery life.

We have two S4's in the house and they are excellent phones with good battery life.

But I'll never pay $100 for 32gb extra memory.  That's ridiculous and it looks like Samsung is taking advantage of that like Apple does.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
SD card doesn't bother me so much.   My S3 fried two SD cards,  good ones from different mfrs. Each one lasted about 9 months.    Fuck SD cards.

The battery thing isn't such a big deal with the advent of external battery packs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do

your way seems unnatural

Do you carry your magazines right-side up too?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I was quite disappointed to hear that it wouldn't have an SD card slot

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I not happy about it not having a a removable battery or and SD card slot, but I'm actually more upset about in not being water proof.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do

your way seems unnatural

Do you regularly remove your magazine from your pocket to check the time, change the volume, answer phone calls, or respond to emails, or jam it into the bottom of a pistol?

No? I didn't think so.

With the screen facing your leg and proper side up, you can extract the phone with a few fingers, which pivots it naturally into your palm, no rotation required. Moving the audio jack to the bottom is retarded as all hell.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LG is incredibly underestimated in this area. The G3 is a phenominal phone. Cannot wait to see what they come out iwth next.
View Quote

Bought one, sold it.  Bough one again. Great phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honest question.  The only things that really live on my phone's local storage are applications these days and I don't need removable media to get stuff on to or off of my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us don't trust the cloud shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you shouldn't.

Not saying a bunch of IT guys would even want to, because I don't give a fuck what the customer does with the data/storage/bandwidth they purchase, but it's not particularly hard to access what they've got at any given time. It's a lot more difficult (read: far from impossible) to do it remotely.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
will probably upgrade to the S5 from the S4, then casually spend a year or 2 reading reviews for a different phone that has the removable battery and SD card. S4 is a great phone. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Also I don't want to run my data up accessing the cloud or have access to my music cut off during a long road trip when I leave a service area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My S4 does that shit at least a dozen times a day. Almost always does it when it's in my pocket. It's lived it's entire life in an Otterbox and hasn't taken any serious abuse. Seemed to start happening after an OS update.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it going to have a weak radio and lots of software glitches like my POS S4? The quality of pictures are great, but they need to put more emphasis on the phone.

Yes, and sometimes when you take it out of your pocket you will see a dialog that says "SIM Card not fond.  Restart?"

You will not know how long you did not have service or what calls you missed.

My S4 does that shit at least a dozen times a day. Almost always does it when it's in my pocket. It's lived it's entire life in an Otterbox and hasn't taken any serious abuse. Seemed to start happening after an OS update.

Mine does the exact same shit. The signal sucks and it does the sim card thing all the time.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never used a  spare battery but I like to be able to replace it with a new one every year or two. And no microSD?

ETA: looks like it will still be a good phone, just disappointed by those things.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My biggest beef with iPhones is the non removable battery and extra memory.  Now Samsung has given that advantage up?
View Quote

It is all going to go to the CLOUD *****NSA TRADEMARK.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I won't be getting it.  Samsung has lost a customer because they lost the micro-SD card slot and replaceable battery.
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts, exactly.  I wont get one.  I have an S5 right now. I didn't want a iphone clone for the next phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My biggest beef with iPhones is the non removable battery and extra memory.  Now Samsung has given that advantage up?

Which pisses me off.  iTunes Radio/IHeart/Pandora etc are all well and good, but for folks who don't spend 100% of their time in the big city, it's stupid.  I have to put my phone in airplane mode every night on my way home because I have zero cell service.  So I have to keep physical copies of everything I want to listen to on my phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

They want you to buy an iPhone it seems.  Not sure what they were thinking.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do you regularly remove your magazine from your pocket to check the time, change the volume, answer phone calls, or respond to emails, or jam it into the bottom of a pistol?

No? I didn't think so.

With the screen facing your leg and proper side up, you can extract the phone with a few fingers, which pivots it naturally into your palm, no rotation required. Moving the audio jack to the bottom is retarded as all hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do

your way seems unnatural

No? I didn't think so.

That has nothing to do with the reference. Pulling a magazine from a pouch or pocket is the same concept as pulling your phone out of a pocket. It's just faster and easier than what you attest.

Regardless, you still flip your palm both ways.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No thanks.

I'll wait to see what HTC releases.

Have an S5 now.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a HTC one Max, I love the phone but it freezes up, I will be getting the S6 edge, I have been waiting for it to be released. I like the Htc line but Samsung seems to be the leader in phone tech.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a HTC one Max, I love the phone but it freezes up, I will be getting the S6 edge, I have been waiting for it to be released. I like the Htc line but Samsung seems to be the leader in phone tech.
View Quote

There is no leader.  That is the great tjing these days.  No one company has a technology advantage.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

until you listen to its speaker.  I loooove my Note 3, but Samsung puts horribly inadequate speakers on it's devices. Seriously. It's fucking 2015 and you put a microscopic MONO speaker on the bottom of the phone? That's the best you can do Samsung? They haven't had good sound from a device since the Nexus 10. Front-facing stereo. Nice. Never since.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Love my S5. Won't be getting an S6 without removable storage and battery, and a non curved option.
View Quote

This. Won't buy another S until they unfuck that shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Smaller.

I saw the Note Edge yesterday at Best Buy. Looks like a Note 4, but with the curved screen. Looked pretty neat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No dimensions, I'd like to see a comparison to the Note 4

Smaller.

I saw the Note Edge yesterday at Best Buy. Looks like a Note 4, but with the curved screen. Looked pretty neat.

What I don't get is, is why they'd do this with the screen. It makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Latest benchmark test "crushes everything else on the market"

http://bgr.com/2015/03/03/galaxy-s6-specs-benchmarks-htc-one-m9-iphone-6/
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Makes it easier for your wife to see texts from your girlfriend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Beyond a certain point, bench mark tests are a huge "meh" for me. My life is not improved by a benchmark test. This is what the Android and PC people often forget when they post such things - your life is not impacted by a longer bar.

It's something Apple has understood innately since their inception: Your life is more impacted by the quality of the computing experience.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What I don't get is, is why they'd do this with the screen. It makes no sense to me.
View Quote

Here's a hands-on of the S6 Edge, looks pretty neat, especially with the ability to customize the edge.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Beyond a certain point, bench mark tests are a huge "meh" for me. My life is not improved by a benchmark test. This is what the Android and PC people often forget when they post such things - your life is not impacted by a longer bar.

It's something Apple has understood innately since their inception: Your life is more impacted by the quality of the computing experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

On point.

To add, the S6 released in the US might not even have that processor and Samsung won't confirm the specs of the US model
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll be getting one to replace my S3
View Quote

My S3 is still running strong almost ~3 years later.

I'm gonna keep rocking it 'cause now it's "retro".

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

On point.

To add, the S6 released in the US might not even have that processor and Samsung won't confirm the specs of the US model
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On point.

I dunno if it matters. My "outdated" S4 is STILL plenty fast and is well sufficient for my needs.

I suppose if I was doing more gaming on my phone, I might see the point to more power but, at the moment, I'd settle for the same power with better battery life. If I could stretch to 3-4 days of light use between charges, I'd be pretty damn happy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#41]
To those bitching about the curved screen, you do realize they  offering BOTH the curved as well as the traditional "flat" screen versions.  I think its a pretty sweet looking phone and I look forward to being able to play with both.  They made up for the lack of SD with plenty of on board, and much more reliable, storage.  

Im not exactly thrilled with the lack of removable battery, but no way was that going to be possible while sliming the phone down to what it is.

Im most happy about getting rid of that fucking ridiculous usb 3.0 cable, what a motherfucker that thing is to plug in. And having wireless charging built in makes it even less of an issue.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be getting one to replace my S3

I still have a S2, and it makes people ask what it is.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My main reason for an SD card is two fold.  I don't trust the cloud, be it Dropbox, iCloud, G Drive, or any others.  Secondly, if you are a ROM flashing whore like yours truly, then keeping ROMs on your card and allowing you to flash in a hot minute from one ROM to the next is a handy little feature.  And then of course loading movies on it also.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The removable SD card and removable battery were the main selling points for the Galaxy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Losing sd card, ip67, replaceable battery and it has a smaller battery to boot.  Camera is better but sticks or like an iPhone.  I guess now that it is an iPhone copy might as well buy an iPhone.

The removable SD card and removable battery were the main selling points for the Galaxy.

Yep.  And who cares about a curved edge screen that will be covered up by most cases. Samsung just made their phone completely indistinguishable.  For the first time in ages, I'll be looking at brands other than Samsung this time around.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My main reason for an SD card is two fold.  I don't trust the cloud, be it Dropbox, iCloud, G Drive, or any others.  Secondly, if you are a ROM flashing whore like yours truly, then keeping ROMs on your card and allowing you to flash in a hot minute from one ROM to the next is a handy little feature.  And then of course loading movies on it also.
View Quote

That saved my ass a couple of times when a ROM became corrupt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had an S3 since October 2012. Still working pretty decently. I saw a friends iPhone 6 with the big screen and it got me thinking about maybe going back to iPhone,  but I am a huge user of all things Google. Android phones just suck everything in when  I sign onto a new phone with Gmail address.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Official product demo's from Samsung.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
So every time you pick it up your fingers touch the screen on the edge where you're holding it making it launch random apps at random times when you were just wanting to check that text message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because cloud storage doesn't work very well if you don't have service... say on an airplane, remote areas...especially in metal buildings in remote areas.

In all honesty, I don't like the removable SD card.  I'd rather have larger onboard storage.  BUT, the removable battery is a huge deal to me.  If nothing else, extended useable life of the device
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Verizon announced the pre-order date of April 1st. Still no word on pricing.

I'm personally leaning towards the regular S6 instead of the Edge. I don't see a reason for the Edge since I'll want a case that will protect the sides.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top