BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wonder if Samsung is going to fuck S6 users like they did S4 users and totally fuck the battery life of the phone.
View Quote

What's wrong with S4 battery life? Mine works fine. [my previous comment refers to buying a replacement]

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What I don't understand is why Apple and now Samsung want to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone? That makes listening with earbuds tougher on people who carry their phones in a holster or belt case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

there will be different prices for memory sizes - 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had to guess I would say $750 stand alone price and $250 with two year contract.

Yeah, I think I remember the price being $850/950/1050.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
thinner profile and ability to put more stuff into the phone.  

how often have you changed batteries?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
non removable battery is the deal breaker. Wonder why they continue to take this out.
thinner profile and ability to put more stuff into the phone.  

Just had to replace the battery in the Wife's S4. (1.5 years old)

It would have been a REAL bummer, if the case was sealed.

I guess I COULD have told her to "deal with it", but $35 stopped the complaints.

Yeah, it doesn't happen THAT often and mine still works just fine, but it came in handy this time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder if Samsung is going to fuck S6 users like they did S4 users and totally fuck the battery life of the phone.
View Quote

My S4 gets great battery life, provided I watch what's running on it.

I think some tuning would fix a LOT of those "problems".
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of extra batteries in case I go into the boonies or I'm having a good time and don't want to charge.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What I don't understand is why Apple and now Samsung want to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone? That makes listening with earbuds tougher on people who carry their phones in a holster or belt case.
View Quote

It makes perfect sense

Most people will have their phone in their pocket while listening to headphones. When you put your phone in your pocket after using it, it will be upside down... If the jack is on the top you will be crushing your cord.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awful idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had to guess I would say $750 stand alone price and $250 with two year contract.

Awful idea

That's the one thing I hate about iPhones!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

For now. Until they decide to take it away, like Samsung just did...

Which isn't the biggest deal, but it is annoying.

That said, I do like that the software has gotten decent enough that HTC decided they don't even need a real, clickable home button like other makes. Even fewer moving parts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awful idea

IIRC it costs Apple approximately $5 to bump from 16 to 32 and another $5 to go to 64.  The $100 price difference kills me.  And then after you dish out $750 to $1000, (I'm unlimited Verizon on two accounts), you beta test for them for a whole year, get a month of solid OS, then back to another 11 months of beta testing.  The shit, we as consumers, allow companies to do to use these days is crazy.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the advantage of the curved edge screen ?
View Quote

Samsung sells more repairs/replacements.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like Sammy's research suggested few people were needing to actually change out the battery, and on top of that, few were needing to use SD cards to expand the memory capability of the phone beyond what they could offer in the S6.

Given that, they could re-engineer the phone and make it sturdier-feeling and more "ergonomic". After all, the removable back limited them in terms of design ... and strength.
View Quote

I just had to replace the battery in my S3.

My contract is up this summer and I'll need to buy a new phone. I will NOT be buying an S6. Fuck you, Samsung.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an S5 with an extra battery.  The extra battery comes in very handy when you are out and about.  I'm going to pass on the S6.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yep.  Deal breaker for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Losing sd card, ip67, replaceable battery and it has a smaller battery to boot.  Camera is better but sticks or like an iPhone.  I guess now that it is an iPhone copy might as well buy an iPhone.

The removable SD card and removable battery were the main selling points for the Galaxy.

yep.  Deal breaker for me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

Most people will have their phone in their pocket while listening to headphones. When you put your phone in your pocket after using it, it will be upside down... If the jack is on the top you will be crushing your cord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

Guess I'm in the minority then.

I always put my phone in my pocket upright.

Makes it easier for me take a very quick peak at my notification bar or change the volume without removing the phone entirely from my pocket.
I do a lot of quick peaks at my phone and drop it right back in my pocket while I'm doing something else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
That very slightly curved at the edge screen seems like the gimmick feature of the century

I am amused they did away with memory cards and removable batteries.. as for years now that has been one of the things that were a plus over the iPhones.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

People who use holsters are the minority.  Having the headphone jack on the bottom works better for the huge majority who just carry them in their pocket.

The only people I know who use holsters do it because they have to carry a second phone for work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't been real happy with the s5. Touchwiz is laggy and over complicated. The internet crashes all the time. If they improve touchwiz with the s6 I'd consider it. Otherwise I'll go back to pure android or iphone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I won't be getting it.  Samsung has lost a customer because they lost the micro-SD card slot and replaceable battery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's wrong with S4 battery life? Mine works fine. [my previous comment refers to buying a replacement]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which carrier do you guys have? Maybe it's a Verizon issue and not Samsung per se. The Verizon forum has a huge thread with people that got a forced update that royally fucked our battery life. Brand new I got 1.5 days. Now I barely get a work day.

The bug prevents the OS from actually going to sleep. It's not software you've installed. You can check your battery usage and mine sometimes says the Android OS is taking 78-80% of my battery. I've been 3 hours off the charger and sitting at less than 60%. It's abysmal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
A removable battery ismt just about replacing the battery, its about doing a battery pull when it stops working. No Battery pull = none of my business.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Which carrier do you guys have? Maybe it's a Verizon issue and not Samsung per se. The Verizon forum has a huge thread with people that got a forced update that royally fucked our battery life. Brand new I got 1.5 days. Now I barely get a work day.

The bug prevents the OS from actually going to sleep. It's not software you've installed. You can check your battery usage and mine sometimes says the Android OS is taking 78-80% of my battery. I've been 3 hours off the charger and sitting at less than 60%. It's abysmal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Download a network manager that lets you see what apps are using data.

My S3 battery started great but then wouldn't last but a few hours. It was a bug in K9 mail that kept downloading my emails over and over. I had used something like 29GB of data in a month because of it. Luckily I had unlimited data.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is what BGR claims a Euro blog claims are the prices for Europe.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

and didn't do a goddamn thing about the camera apparently. (yes, there are more pixels, but from what i've read, image quality isn't noticeably better).

i'm very disappointed; was hoping to upgrade from my m8
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long does you battery last?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How long does you battery last?

View Quote

Hard to quantify. 48 hours of moderate voice and text and light internet use.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A removable battery ismt just about replacing the battery, its about doing a battery pull when it stops working. No Battery pull = none of my business.
View Quote

Yep. Any electronic device with a rechargeable battery that isn't user serviceable is always a major liability.

Samsung, you have let me down...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't like the change. Being able to remove the battery for security and confidentiality reasons was great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#29]
It's user serviceable. You just need a screwdriver, plastic prying device, soldering iron, flux, and a replacement battery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's user serviceable. You just need a screwdriver, plastic prying device, soldering iron, flux, and a replacement battery.
View Quote

Doubt you would need an iron or flux.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Note 4 ftmfw.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#32]
No SD slot and a built in battery? Fucking pass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

No, it doesn't.

I only pocket carry and have always carried upright.

Who out there carries their phone upside down in their pocket?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't like the change. Being able to remove the battery for security and confidentiality reasons was great.
View Quote

That's the main reason for it IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank god!

I almost pulled the pin on an S5 a couple weeks ago, now with the the S6 prices will be dropping.

This rarely happens to me, I usually buy moments before the latest and greatest arrives.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My S3 battery started great but then wouldn't last but a few hours. It was a bug in K9 mail that kept downloading my emails over and over. I had used something like 29GB of data in a month because of it. Luckily I had unlimited data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, it's the OS itself. Not even a factory reset resolves the problem. People have slicked their devices and the problem remains.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LG is incredibly underestimated in this area. The G3 is a phenominal phone. Cannot wait to see what they come out iwth next.
View Quote

Love my G3, fuck physical buttons on the S series. Went from a Galaxy Nexus (loved it) to the G3, couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, it doesn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

No, it doesn't.

Why would you have it upright? If its in your pocket upsidedown when you grab it its ready to use....

Maybe now I know why everyone drops their phones all the time breaking them.... busy flipping their phones around every time they put it in and take it out of the pockets
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Love my G3, fuck physical buttons on the S series. Went from a Galaxy Nexus (loved it) to the G3, couldn't be happier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LG is incredibly underestimated in this area. The G3 is a phenominal phone. Cannot wait to see what they come out iwth next.

Same! Again LG doesn't get the support they deserve. They did everything right on this phone and sold it cheaper than the Galaxy. I'll never trust a Samsung product again after their capacitors blew in my TV. They refused to warranty it after a year. Had to replace them myself which was fun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why would you have it upright? If its in your pocket upsidedown when you grab it its ready to use....

Maybe now I know why everyone drops their phones all the time breaking them.... busy flipping their phones around every time they put it in and take it out of the pockets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense

No, it doesn't.

And yet I have never dropped my phone.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I just bought. A. New battery for my s3 when my old one started dying super fast.

I also just changed out sd cards.

Fucking stupid to get rid of those features like itards.

Also, curved screen equals fuckery while trying to hold onto the phone on the sides like a normal human. It will be activating/swiping/selecting shit at random.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The removable SD card and removable battery were the main selling points for the Galaxy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Losing sd card, ip67, replaceable battery and it has a smaller battery to boot.  Camera is better but sticks or like an iPhone.  I guess now that it is an iPhone copy might as well buy an iPhone.

That's the reason I left HTC. I've got some comparison shopping around to do now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
It makes me wonder if companies other than Apple feel like they'd rather sacrifice function for form by doing away with a removable battery?

i'd be curious to know the percentage of users who actually swap batteries throughout the day.  I'd say for a large majority of the users, charging midday at your desk or in your car, or using an aftermarket battery case is probably enough and the manufacturers take that into account.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Awful idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awful idea

Yep.

That alone is enough to tell me I won't buy one, and I've had a couple Samsungs.

They've taken all the bad design choices that Apple makes... and copied them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I have two iPhone 6's in the house and they are as buggy as crap.  It looks like all the majors are making crap these days.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
64 GB with only 45.7 GB of bloatware and unwanted garbage slowing the incredible hardware down to approximately the same performance as a Moto X.  Yay!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its not always about replacing the battery like say to upgrade to a bigger capacity battery or use spare batteries. Its about the ability to remove the battery to make sure the phone is really off and cannot transmit/receive.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#50]
told my wife about it, she currently has the S4 and it's on it's last leg too -

but i just read the S6 Edge isn't waterproof nor does it have external storage capabilities.

also the note edge is already out for awhile iirc.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top