Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 2:52:28 PM EDT
What are the regulations for storing personal weapons? Are they supposed to be kept in an armory? If so, how secure is it?

My younger brother is planning to get a M16a4 clone while he's in Corry Station for training, but I have heard conflicting reports that the armory is not secure and that he has thought of storing it at a friend's house. Can anyone set the record straight?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually, and this can vary by base commander, if you live in

dorms/barracks  guns --> armory
base housing --> keep in house.

No CCW on base.

I'd keep my rifle at the armory vs someone's house......there's a record of it being drawn-replaced, so any unauthorized use is documentable rather than at a friend's house, which could result in unauthorized access (and liability).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard conflicting things (not military, FYI) and I think it depends on the commander

However, I don't think I've heard of personal weapons being stored in the armory. Or that an armory was unsecure
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
All depends on the paranoia of the base commander and his company commander.

If he will be living in the barracks, personally owned weapons will need to be registered with the installation provost marshal and stored in the unit's arms room with a bunch of paperwork to go along with it.  His weapon will be stored along with the others.  Secure?  Sure.  So secure that it will be difficult to be able to retrieve it and put it back for weekend shooting.  Oh and depends has access to the arms room, unit armorer, etc, it will probably get finger fucked over more than Mary Jane Rottencrotch's pretty pink panties.

You said your younger brother is planning to get a M16a4 clone while he's in Corry Station for training.

Did you mean he wants to get a clone so that he can train on shooting on his own on the weekends and while on leave?  Or did you mean that he wants to get one while he is sent to Corry Station for some military training.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
They're supposed to be registered on post, and stored properly. At least when I was in on Ft. Lewis.

Living in the Barracks, they would have to be stored in the arms room, which is secure, but won't stop people with arms room access from fucking with your guns.

In on post housing, you need to keep it in a locking cabinet/safe with ammo separate. (registered on post too)

I never registered anything when I lived in the barracks, and kept guns in my room. Nothing ever happened. Before health and welfare inspections, my squad leader just told me to put them in my car. And during POV inspections right after H&W inspections, they didn't look in the cases IF they even looked inside it.

Regardless, don't get in trouble with guns on post. Bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
In the AF you're forced to let the SF armorer(s) finger fuck your shit.

Or you can keep it in your dorm room but that doesn't usually work out well for the young Airman.

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in Group Portland Me.  the XO allowed me to keep my 1911 in the Armory, but my Woodsman's Pal was not allowed on base because the XO said "it was specifically designed to kill people".....I shit you not, that is a direct quote from a Commander in the CG
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard conflicting things (not military, FYI) and I think it depends on the commander

However, I don't think I've heard of personal weapons being stored in the armory. Or that an armory was unsecure
View Quote

FPNI.

Also, you can store personal weapons in the unit armory. It just takes paperwork...(2062, I think, but I could be wrong), and it becomes a pain in the ass to get your weapons in and out, depending on how accommodating the armorer is.

I have always been a bit confused as to how "no CCW on base" was ever thought to be a good idea. If you live on post, and have a CCW license, you have to have the weapon unloaded in a locked case, and the ammo in a separate area of the vehicle (depending on post regulations). You have to ext the post before you can carry, and you have to put it all back in the box before you reenter post. Your weapons also have to be registered with the provost marshal.

That being said...every time that I have been searched at the gate, all they search is my vehicle, and not my person...not that I would advocate any violation of post regulations regarding CCW.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If he will be living in the barracks, personally owned weapons will need to be registered with the installation provost marshal and stored in the unit's arms room with a bunch of paperwork to go along with it.  His weapon will be stored along with the others.  Secure?  Sure.  So secure that it will be difficult to be able to retrieve it and put it back for weekend shooting.  Oh and depends has access to the arms room, unit armorer, etc, it will probably get finger fucked over more than Mary Jane Rottencrotch's pretty pink panties.

You said your younger brother is planning to get a M16a4 clone while he's in Corry Station for training.

Did you mean he wants to get a clone so that he can train on shooting on his own on the weekends and while on leave?  Or did you mean that he wants to get one while he is sent to Corry Station for some military training.
View Quote

For his own training.

Just wondering, can they be stored in a locked case, like a Pelican or Seahorse? If it mattered that much to him, people wouldn't get to play with it in the armory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For his own training.

Just wondering, can they be stored in a locked case, like a Pelican or Seahorse? If it mattered that much to him, people wouldn't get to play with it in the armory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For his own training.

POWs have to be accessible to the armorer for opening inventory by SOP. I haven't seen an SOP that didn't specify that POWs must be added to the inventory roster.

Now, does every armorer conduct a good opening inventory every single time they go in? No.

Would it probably be alright for him to keep it in a locked case if it was alright with the armorer? Yes.

It all depends on unit SOP/how the armorer wants to handle it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For his own training.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For his own training.

I used to store stuff in cases, and put a numbered anti-tamper seal on the case. I would verify seal numbers so I could tell if the case had been opened without my permission.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI, OP there is an unaccompanied access roster for an Arms room.

It typically consists of the armorer, one or two alternates, the unit comander, XO, 1SG, and PL/PSGs. So Its not like every swinging dick in the unit will throwing your brother's shit around.

I never touched any of the POWs in my arms room, except to verify SNs for inventory. And they won't be on a cyclical inventory or listed as sensitive items, so no one else on the roster will give two shits about touching it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the AF you're forced to let the SF armorer(s) finger fuck your shit.

Or you can keep it in your dorm room but that doesn't usually work out well for the young Airman.

Ask me how I know  
View Quote

My first duty assignment a buddy had his 41 Magnum stored on base and the Skycops scarred it up pretty good when they dropped it playing quick draw with it.  And the Skycops had an accidental shooting in their barracks when one of them was playing quick draw and dropped the pistol he was illegally keeping in the barracks and it fired, killing his roommate.

Two good examples of the problems of owning firearms while single and barracks dwelling.  I didn't own any firearms until I was 21, had moved off base and could store them in my own place.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Kept my firearms at the base armory once in my 20 year military career.
I put a trigger lock through the triggers and I would run a cable lock through the barrel.

I removed all optics (even detachable carry handles).

The armory had duty personnel from other units during nights and mids, the dedicated armors worked M-F with their duty section coming in on the weekends.

I had 24 hour access to my weapons.

When I lived on base I kept them in my house in a safe.

I also stored a whole bunch of weapons for other guys that lived in the barracks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
As a former Marine, (Camp Pendleton & 29 Palms), I recommend keeping them wherever you call home.  Like back home, or off base.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No CCW on base.

I'd keep my rifle at the armory vs someone's house......there's a record of it being drawn-replaced, so any unauthorized use is documentable rather than at a friend's house, which could result in unauthorized access (and liability).
View Quote

This.
As a person who spent the night in a confining room after taking a shotgun into the barracks, I'd highly recommend him asking his chain of command prior to playing a stupid game.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What are the regulations for storing personal weapons? Are they supposed to be kept in an armory? If so, how secure is it?

My younger brother is planning to get a M16a4 clone while he's in Corry Station for training, but I have heard conflicting reports that the armory is not secure and that he has thought of storing it at a friend's house. Can anyone set the record straight?
View Quote

Dunno if it varies by branch or location, but my son has to keep his 1911 in the armory at Lejeune.  He takes the guide rod out so that nobody else is tempted to borrow it (or at least he had planned to).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
A long time ago when I was in, I used to live in the barracks.  Like mentioned we were supposed to register the firearm with the post provost marshal and unit command armory.  Like mentioned, if such firearm is not in a locked case, it is fondled with.  I kept mine off post with my squad leader.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#19]
His best bet is to keep it at someone's residence that he trusts (like a first-line leader). He would have a much better chance at actually accessing it that way.

ETA: Provided they can be stored in a safe and secure manner (safe).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Just store your lowers in the arms room

Uppers in your Veh
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]
When is he getting to Corry? I'm there now. Place sucks donkey $%@$.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I looked into every option I could think of for bringing my personal weapons down to Fort Bragg with me.  In the end, just decided it was too much trouble.  They stayed at my parents house.

Unit armory... would have been a pain in the ass to draw them when I wanted to go shoot.  My first unit armorer was a total asshole and the second was married a lived off post, I'm sure getting them to let me store my shit in there, and draw it with any amount of regularity would have been a massive headache.

Buddies place off post... didn't know any that had guns or a secure way to store them (like a safe).  It would have been in a case under their bed or something.

Actually considered a self storage type place off post.  Probably would have worked out decent if I went with one of the more secure ones and not the cheapest thing around.

Eventually just gave up on the idea.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No CCW on base.

View Quote

Officers can keep guns in the BOQ and don't have to put them in the armory.

Base housing just register at Pass and ID and you can keep them in base housing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

He just finished MCT, so he will be there pretty soon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
At least for my post, they're supposed to be registered on post and this has to be signed off on by the company commander.

They may not be stored in your barracks room or vehicle unless temporarily for the purposes of going to the range, hunting, shit like that. They're "supposed" to be stored in your company arm's room... I will say that in both companies I've been in there was not a single personally owned weapon stored in either arms room

When the word of an impending barracks inspection or health and welfare made its way out, you would see a mass exodus of dudes with Pelican "guitar cases" coming out to their vehicles. If guys didn't keep it in their room a lot kept it with someone who lived off post.

Apparently the post gun club has lockers you can rent where you can keep your shit there, but from what I've gathered reading their site you have to get a NICS background check every time you want your gun out of the locker
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're going to be permanent party at an installation, and HAVE to live in the barracks, suck it up and get a storage unit off post where you can keep your firearms.  That's what I did after it literally took A YEAR AND A HALF to get my G19 out of the arms locker at reception.... yeah I did the "right thing" and turned in my firearms when I inprocessed Ft. Campbell.

To get your stuff out of the reception arms locker, it took a letter from my CO, and an E7 or above to accompany me to get it.  Ask me how easy that was to coordinate....

When I finally got it out, I remarked to the guy who was retrieving it about the other firearms I saw in there.  He actually got visibly choked up, not to the point of tears, but you could see that he was a little emotional about it.  He said that he was glad to see me come get the pistol out, because most of the weapons in there had been there for many years.... they belonged to soldiers who had inprocessed, immediately deployed before they could get their firearms out, and died on deployment.  

So yeah, storage locker off post is what I did after that, and it really wasn't that expensive, especially if you are a single solider with no dependents living in the barracks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks. Sounds like he will probably be better off keeping it with a friend, or storage if the former doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Thanks. Sounds like he will probably be better off keeping it with a friend, or storage if the former doesn't work out.
View Quote

It sounds like he's a new recruit, I HIGHLY recommend that he wait until he's established with his unit and has a good reputation with his immediate leadership before trying to buy/store firearms.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#29]

As someone who was an instructor at Corry at one time and who also worked with the security guys there, I can say that he should only use the armory as a last resort.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you're going to be permanent party at an installation, and HAVE to live in the barracks, suck it up and get a storage unit off post where you can keep your firearms.  That's what I did after it literally took A YEAR AND A HALF to get my G19 out of the arms locker at reception.... yeah I did the "right thing" and turned in my firearms when I inprocessed Ft. Campbell.

To get your stuff out of the reception arms locker, it took a letter from my CO, and an E7 or above to accompany me to get it.  Ask me how easy that was to coordinate....

When I finally got it out, I remarked to the guy who was retrieving it about the other firearms I saw in there.  He actually got visibly choked up, not to the point of tears, but you could see that he was a little emotional about it.  He said that he was glad to see me come get the pistol out, because most of the weapons in there had been there for many years.... they belonged to soldiers who had inprocessed, immediately deployed before they could get their firearms out, and died on deployment.  

So yeah, storage locker off post is what I did after that, and it really wasn't that expensive, especially if you are a single solider with no dependents living in the barracks.
View Quote

When I inprocessed at Campbell, I tried to do the right thing. I went to the SGL and asked about putting my POWs in the reception arms room. At the time, I was staying at the inn on post, and my POWs were in the trunk. He asked me if I was planning to live on or off post. When I said "off-post", he told me to not worry about it. So, I  hypothetically may or may not have been rolling around Campbell with three pistols, a shotgun, and about 1000 rounds between them in the trunk of my POV for a week or so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When I inprocessed at Campbell, I tried to do the right thing. I went to the SGL and asked about putting my POWs in the reception arms room. At the time, I was staying at the inn on post, and my POWs were in the trunk. He asked me if I was planning to live on or off post. When I said "off-post", he told me to not worry about it. So, I  hypothetically may or may not have been rolling around Campbell with three pistols, a shotgun, and about 1000 rounds between them in the trunk of my POV for a week or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

btw, what unit?  I was a Rakkasan.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

159th CAB, but we are disbanding.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont even know where the armory is on base.... is it near the fire station?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Your guns will be finger fucked by the armorer.  If he likes you, he might not change your sight settings.

When I was in Ft Polk, our Armorer lived 45 minutes from post.  He left immediately after the last formation on Friday and was never seen before PT on Monday morning.  You could NEVER get your POW out on the weekend.  

It was so restrictive it made it worthless to keep a POW in the arms room.

Most guys had a buddy off post and kept them there.  When I lived off post I had a couple dozen guns in my apartment at any given time.  I vacated the apartment, actually a little bungalow, just before NTC.  3 of the bungalows were robbed while all the guys were gone to NTC.  Had I still been in mine I would have lost all of those guns, including my own.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I looked into every option I could think of for bringing my personal weapons down to Fort Bragg with me.  In the end, just decided it was too much trouble.  They stayed at my parents house.

Unit armory... would have been a pain in the ass to draw them when I wanted to go shoot.  My first unit armorer was a total asshole and the second was married a lived off post, I'm sure getting them to let me store my shit in there, and draw it with any amount of regularity would have been a massive headache.

Buddies place off post... didn't know any that had guns or a secure way to store them (like a safe).  It would have been in a case under their bed or something.

Actually considered a self storage type place off post.  Probably would have worked out decent if I went with one of the more secure ones and not the cheapest thing around.

View Quote

Same here.  When I lived in barracks we had health and welfare inspections monthly.  They even went crazy on the POVs.  No way would I have gotten away with storing them in my barracks room.  Unit armorer was a dick, he usually refused to come in on a weekend for a person to check their guns in and out, or he'd say he would then never show up.  No amount of complaining up the chain of command did anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope he enjoys his time in that quad as much as I did.

Hey NUJbrown, is the Crosswinds still there?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bingo.  Had a company commander that balked at POW in the arms room, he wanted them out and off records during inspections.  Sucked for those thousands of miles from home.  Fortunately there were other soldiers willing to store them for us that we could trust.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was in barracks, unit armory.  Good luck getting it to go plinking.  Ended up storing them in my POV, at great risk.
Once I had a buddy off post, his place.  Easy access.  
Once I got married, free as the Constitution intended.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safest bet would probably be to see if any of the local ranges rent lockers and put it there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure is. they do crossfit and such there now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#41]
That joint has seen some brawls. I still have an SPs cute little white nightstick...and one of his shoes.

I took the shoe because rum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I was a Marine Corps armorer for my 2nd and last enlistment.  Typically, if you live in base housing or off base, you could store your weapons in your home.  If you lived in a barracks, you were required to store them in the armory.  And if I'm not mistaken, they had to be register on base.

To draw out your weapons, you had to have a form signed by the Commanding Officer, or you couldn't.  And you could only draw them out when the armory was open for business.  We had typical business hours, 7am-5pm or so, unless something was on the training schedule that required us to open earlier or stay open later.  You couldn't just walk over on Saturday morning, pick up your personally owned rifle, go blasting, and bring it back whenever you were done for the day.

While in the armory, they were inventoried and secure in a locked locker.  Unless some boot armorer was playing with it.  And they did.

I always found it best to store my weapons off base at someone's house who I trusted.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I kept my guns off base in my apartment.

No, I didn't receive BAQ.  It was worth it.   My room was immaculate, all we had to do was dust and tighten the bedsheets before H&W.

Keep a few starched unis and your dress uni in the locker, plus some sundries, make the room look like someone lives there, but keep it clean.

Live off post in a shitty apartment, stay out of trouble, profit.

JMHO
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I was active duty for 8 years in the Air Force Security Forces.  Not long after I got to my first base, I bought some guns when I got my enlistment bonus.  Like a good Airman I went to store them at the Security Forces Armory because I lived in the barracks.  The armorers were cool about me bringing them in and gave me the paperwork to fill out and have our commander sign them.  I was told I couldn't have access to my guns until I got the form signed and they logged the guns into their account.  The armorer said the speed of the process was on me to get it done so I could enjoy my guns.  

The commander signed my forms with a day or two and the orderly room even called me to let me know the forms were done and get them back to the NCOIC of the armory.  Once that was done the armorer asked me not to come to sign my guns out  during issue and turn in because they would be too busy to deal with me then.  I also had 24 hours to return the weapons once I signed them out.  They even showed me the process of they dealt with privately owned weapons.  Each weapon was required to have a sealable case by which they would put a seal on and then the cases were stored in another room that was sealed with a railroad bar seal.  All of the seal numbers were recorded on a log and the reason why the seal was broken and by whom as well.

I kept my guns in my units armory for two years until I moved off post, the armorers were always highly professional with me and assured me no one messed with anyones guns even to the point of showing me their logs.  I never met any resistance getting my weapons out of the armory because there wasn't a reason to.  Besides the armory job was a hard one to get and required alot of diligence on their part to run their shop right or they could have faced NJP for any mistakes on their part.  

I always heard of the urban legends from people who often parroted many of the same things posters have said in previous posts.  I would have rather done the aforementioned process than risk peril to my career as one Airman did who got caught with an AR, AK and 3,000 rounds of ammo in his barracks room when our First Sergeant found them during a health and welfare inspection.  The Airman was apprehended, courtmartialed, sentenced to confinement, lost rank and was given a OTH discharge and lost his weapons.  

My advice for a new troop would be to find out the base policies regarding the handling of POW's, seek out permission to store them and follow the regs closely, or find a means of storing them with a trusted agent or renting a storage locker off post.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Same here.  When I lived in barracks we had health and welfare inspections monthly.  They even went crazy on the POVs.  No way would I have gotten away with storing them in my barracks room.  Unit armorer was a dick, he usually refused to come in on a weekend for a person to check their guns in and out, or he'd say he would then never show up.  No amount of complaining up the chain of command did anything about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, sucks! We always got word at least a day in advance of impending inspections, I think it was because they didn't want to deal with the fallout from finding some dude with his girlfriend living in the closet, cleaning his AR on his bed on CQ recovery when they came in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
When living on base, I had my own off-base storage unit for my firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top