Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2015 5:09:46 PM EDT
The kid is supposed to be flying from Fresno to Chicago right now, and somehow forgot that he had a magazine loaded with Hydrashoks in his carry on back pack.  TSA found the magazine, pulled him to side placed him under arrest, and is currently awaiting local authorities to take him into custody.  No weapon, just the mag.  Supposed to be in Chicago Monday for training on new job.  Now what?  Kid is Former Marine, with BS in Business Finance, clean cut business person, is he fucked or what??
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks,  IIRC, there have been numerous stories here of members getting yanked with a similar story but everything turned out OK.

In before the HydraShok jokes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
He's not a low life gang banger with previous gun charges or they'd let him walk...  so yeah, they're gonna hang him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea. He fucked. Especially if tsa is having a bad day.

Not sure if felony though for only a mag
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my biggest fear in air travel.

Before last trip I took my bag out and ran my hand through every pocket and crease in the bag to check for any ammo that may have been in there.

It is ridiculous to be treated like a criminal for a benign mistake that puts no one in danger.  

In that situation the TSA should let the person continue about their business.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Shouldn't you be hiring an attorney right now?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That sucks,  IIRC, there have been numerous stories here of members getting yanked...
View Quote

I'll pass on the Hydrashock jokes and just leave this here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
There but for the grace of God go I.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
No, happened to me once and they realized I was not on terror list and it was an innocent mistake, they let me go on my way.  Its not like he will go to jail or anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In that situation the TSA should take the mag say "You forgot your gun!" and let the person continue about their business.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In that situation the TSA should take the mag say "You forgot your gun!" and let the person continue about their business.

I agree.  I edited my post while you were typing that reply.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They have to hold him long enough to cast lots for which TSA agent gets to keep his mag and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yea. He fucked. Especially if tsa is having a bad day.

Not sure if felony though for only a mag
View Quote

If the DA wants to be a real dick about it, I'm sure each bullet can be a count, plus another for the mag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
In Syracuse they would take the mag and let you fly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There but for the grace of God go I.
View Quote

You spelled "GOV." wrong

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
It completely baffles me how people continually insist on using the same bag they take to the range for travel.  How hard is it to buy a $20 dedicated range bag?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

Try that with 8+ rounds and let us know how that works out for you..............
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
This country is getting so faggoty...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
That's super fucking retarded.  Jesus.

Once upon a time, I may or may not have flown to China with a loaded Hi-Power mag in my jacket pocket before I found it in my hotel.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol

Try that with 8+ rounds and let us know how that works out for you..............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Yeah that's the important question here, was it a high capacity clip !!??
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Better call Saul!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Arrest?

Overkill.

If I understand correctly, TSA has the ability to fine you, but I don't know about arrest.  Local jurisdiction withholds that right, so Fresno PD may have made the call?

I got hit during security screening for a loaded MAC 11 mag, and they let me mail it back to myself, got me on the plane, and didn't assess charges or fines.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]
TSA found loose rounds in my bag in buffalo. They took them out and really couldn't have cared less. Hopefully a supervisor or actual cop talks some sense into the agents, so they cut your son loose. In the past people I know who have had items confiscated, were released and then received letters in the mail, weeks later, slapping them on the wrists.

Eta - I've taken my folding blade through/into security several times and they were cool about it each time. They either let me check the bag with the knife, or mail the knife to my destination.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought separate "travel only" luggage to avoid this bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry but, Wat is so hard about knowing wat is in yer bag!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Last time I flew the TSA was awesome.  I had all my ducks in a row and declared everything.  Local Po Po was also called
(they always "have a guy at the airport") and HE took all my SD ammo (Winchester PDX-1's).  I had the airline and TSA rules
printed out and highlighted saying I was allowed to travel with the ammo packaged as it was but he stammered some BS like
"it's a local rule blah - blah" and took a full $30 box of ammo.  Being the "loyal and good subject" I kept my mouth shut as I on
my way to FL and shoot in IDPA matches.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
For this reason I have multiple bags that all serve various purposes and don't get interchanged. Hope it works out but it doesn't sound good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

fucking this for god's sake
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They have to hold him long enough to cast lots for which TSA agent gets to keep his mag and ammo.
View Quote

Ammo is destroyed/disposed of. You can mail the magazine to yourself on your own dime. TSA is full of shit on the whole "arrest" thing.

TSA will prevent him from going through the security checkpoint until the PD shows up and sees that it was an honest mistake.

Chalk it up as a learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

He's in NY,home of the S.A.F.E. act-get caught with a mag that has more than 7 rounds in it and they do more than slap your pee pee.

The problem is everyone that still flies and accepts it-all that does is enable this kind of shit.You know,like a frog in a pot of water that keeps getting just a little warmer each day..............
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ammo is destroyed/disposed of. You can mail the magazine to yourself on your own dime. TSA is full of shit on the whole "arrest" thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he should just get a ticket of less than $250 bucks and pretty much forfeit the mag and ammo.  Never heard of an arrest over something like that but I can see some jackass doing that for sure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It completely baffles me how people continually insist on using the same bag they take to the range for travel.  How hard is it to buy a $20 dedicated range bag?
View Quote

Harder than hijacking a commercial airliner with a pistol mag.  FTSA.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I've heard that it helps if you look at the floor and don't make eye contact...............

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incase you missed it the first 4 times op.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Better call Saul!
View Quote

Hahahaha
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he should just get a ticket of less than $250 bucks and pretty much forfeit the mag and ammo.  Never heard of an arrest over something like that but I can see some jackass doing that for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grabbed a dry bag I figured I'd need while in a rush without checking the contents. There was a loaded mag in it. TSA handled it well (except for supervisor with an overinflated sense of self worth), I kicked myself in the ass for being a moron, the PD said I could mail the magazine or it'll be disposed of. No fine, no charge, only thing I got was a nastygram letter from TSA listing what they allow and don't allow in carry on luggage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a layover in Portland a few years ago and they found a single .38spl round in my backpack (I thought I had everything out of it.)I explained my mistake and that was it.I was actually surprised at that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He's in NY,home of the S.A.F.E. act-get caught with a mag that has more than 7 rounds in it and they do more than slap your pee pee.

The problem is everyone that still flies and accepts it-all that does is enable this kind of shit.You know,like a frog in a pot of water that keeps getting just a little warmer each day..............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

It's back to 10 now.

And I'm not long for NY
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's back to 10 now.

And I'm not long for NY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

It's back to 10 now.

And I'm not long for NY

Left 13 years ago tomorrow and never looked back.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I know a guy who went from SeaTac Intl. to Boise with a loaded 30 round GI mag (It may have been 855)......In the see through mesh outer pocket of a carry on backpack.

He realized it was there as he put it in the overhead compartment, and some female who was with him said out loud "Hey, You're not supposed to be able to bring guns on a plane, right? Did you get a gun through?!?"

He laughed and quietly told her to STFU and she got pissed and said "Then why did you bring a clip? Is there a gun in your bag?" Completely oblivious to the possible repercussions of running her mouth. She was the type of woman who couldn't tell you how far you've traveled in an hour driving 60 MPH.

Nothing happened luckily and he flew back home, single.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The kid is supposed to be flying from Fresno to Chicago right now, and somehow forgot that he had a magazine loaded with Hydrashoks in his carry on back pack.  TSA found the magazine, pulled him to side placed him under arrest, and is currently awaiting local authorities to take him into custody.  No weapon, just the mag.  Supposed to be in Chicago Monday for training on new job.  Now what?  Kid is Former Marine, with BS in Business Finance, clean cut business person, is he fucked or what??
View Quote

If it was a regular non CA mag he could be in trouble.Hopefully they let him walk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

It may baffle you further to consider that some people take their guns places other than just the range.  Some people even *gasp* travel with firearms.  

The idea that someone would be given this much grief over a small oversight because "GUNS!! OMG!!" is what should baffle you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Last week my wife was detained in Dallas because she was running late and decided to carry on a stock for a M1 carbine that my brother in law refinished for me. Just the stock, wrapped in bubble wrap and in a shipping tube. They made a real big deal over it including strip searching my wife, (like she had a barrel and receiver inside her) and locking down the area.
They finally let her go after missing her flight and my BIL coming to the airport to retrieve the stock. She received a fine and a civil liberties charge that we are waiting to hear about from our local fed office and she may lose her passport for an unspecified amount of time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Okay everyone thanks for the responses, here is the update.  Kid is out of cuffs, magazine and ammo confiscated, fingerprinted, and sent to find another flight, which they only fly like one piece of shit out of Fresno every day.  Just talked to him and he is totally bewildered that this shit happened, said some shit about being a Marine, honest mistake, etc.  Lady from TSA told him when she found the mag, "you're screwed".   So I guess let that be a lesson to the lesser subjects who are not as squared away as the rest of the high speed/low drag ops who have never fucked up.  Welcome to Amerika!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I walked through security with a pocket full of 5.56 once and didn't realize until well after the fact. Total OH SHIT moment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Okay everyone thanks for the responses, here is the update.  Kid is out of cuffs, magazine and ammo confiscated, fingerprinted, and sent to find another flight, which they only fly like one piece of shit out of Fresno every day.  Just talked to him and he is totally bewildered that this shit happened, said some shit about being a Marine, honest mistake, etc.  Lady from TSA told him when she found the mag, "you're screwed".   So I guess let that be a lesson to the lesser subjects who are not as squared away as the rest of the high speed/low drag ops who have never fucked up.  Welcome to Amerika!!
View Quote

Glad they let him go.

Fuck the TSA.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I walked through security with a pocket full of 5.56 once and didn't realize until well after the fact. Total OH SHIT moment.
View Quote

that is probably one of the best avatars I have ever seen on the net
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top