Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad has an 870, Marlin M60, and a pellet rifle.

I bought him the M60 and pellet rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
3 guns total. Shotgun, deer rifle and a 10-22.  Fudd guns the lot of them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Much Larger
2. No, but most of them are.

I recently inherited them all since he passed away last fall.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, even 10/22s are fudd guns now?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
No where near it
His guns are all hunting guns (nothing "tactical"), and a 22 revolver he used for trapping and now uses for shooting carpenter bees (with shot shells) with - they are devastating to log homes, and you would go broke buying cans of wasp spray on them.  It is a challenge hitting them.
He enjoyed fishing more than shooting
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
my dad has a few guns...much less than I do both in terms of quantity and quality. Still, very respectable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad had a 10/22 I knew about and a 30/30 that I didn't. Of course he forgot that he had it. On e we found it we brought it to my great uncle (where he thought it was the whole time) and I saw the rest of my G. Uncles collection. Then he told my dad if we got out permits they where all ours. So that was my driving point. After that it was all down hill. But I always had more guns then my dad and still too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's just say that when dad died his collection appraised significantly more then his 6000 square foot house
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I always thought of our home as being "well armed" as a kid in the 70's. My dad had a Remington .243 and .270, along with 2 12 gauge mossberg 500's. To me that a like an arsenal compared to most folks.
Never had maybe more than a couple boxes of "shells" for each. My dad was an avid hunter and fisherman, but to him guns were just tools to get game. I don't think he would have understood my large collection of non hunting rifles and handguns.
He also was one of the first in our area back in the mid 60's to get into bow hunting. He used a long bow at first then I remember him getting a 1st generation compound bow in the 70's (I still have it). He said people used to laugh at him then for bow hunting...till he started getting huge bucks. All the scent blockers and specialty bow hunting stuff you see now wasn't around back then, you had to wing it. Course now bow hunting is more popular then rifle hunting in some areas...that wasn't the case in the 60's.
My brother is basically the same way as my dad was so far as guns.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#11]
my dad has never owned guns
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad was a cop for 34 years, his current and past gun collection entails the below which he bought himself.

A smith and wesson model 60 I have his first gun purchase.
A glock 19 first generation he carried as a USVI cop and my special authorization as a US Marshal.
A seecamp 25 he carried as a backup gun and holdout
He had a Walther TPH in the mid 80's I recall he bought.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Growing up here in S. Texas, we had our father who taught us to hunt.

My dad had a modest collection. Two sporterised British .303s. a Wnchester 94 30-30, a Schmidt Rubin re-chambered in .308, a 6.5 Carcano, a Stevens .410 double barrel shotgun and a single JC Higgins 22 (High Standard) 22 revolver.

My dad was a WW2 Vet who carried an M-1 Carbine and .45 at times in the Pacific with the 2nd Marine Division.

He never had the need for a Semi-Auto weapon at the ranch.

We never had more than 2 boxes of ammunition for each weapon. We never had to worry about it. There was always ammo available at the store and we rarely fired the bigger rifles. We took many Deer and javelin with the rifles and Bobwhite and Blue quail fell to the .410.

My dad could cook any of that perfect.

Now almost all of my weapons are Semi. I have a couple of bolt action .22s and the Mossberg MVP. Now I have to make trips to the stores to stock up on ammo even though we don't shoot as often as we would like.

At times I miss the old days............ and especially my dad.

The last hunting trip we took together, I got a nice buck with a Mini-14. He was shocked at what the Winchester 64 grain JSP did.  Ill never forget him softly chastising me for losing almost the whole front shoulder of meat.
View Quote
That's insanely close to my grandfathers collection. Two sporterized Enfield .303s, a caracano cavalry with bayonet, 1894 in 30-30, and a Nazi Mauser but I think its in an aftermarket sporterized stock. I find his choices interesting considering he was in Europe for WWII. I wish I could find out if any were bringbacks, but he died when my dad was 18 and my dad never got into guns.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad has one fudd rifle and thats all he's ever had. He loves guns, he loves to shoot, but he's too damn cheap to buy any.

He shoots my stuff all the time though and my gpa has a ton of toys he shoots too.
View Quote

That's probably my dad too.  Liked to shoot, but only had a few.  Guess just too cheap or didn't want them enough to spend the $$.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Before I started getting into guns, all he had was a semi auto mossberg 12, an O/U 20, a Remington nylon 66 and an old .22 handgun that was his grandfathers. Hes owned a lot of different ones over the years that hes sold. Since I've gotten into guns, hes acquired quite a few more. A Sig 226 that he got for a steal of a price, an M1 carbine his dad gave him, a .308 Ruger American and recently ended up with an AR from my buying and rearranging. Hes mostly just to cheap to spend money on guns, and to hoard ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Dad really wasn't a gun person.
We always lived in town. He took me shooting exactly twice in my entire childhood.
He had a few hand-me-downs. Bubba'ed '98 Krag, Single shot Stevens 12ga, couple of single shot .22's.  
Alas, they were all stolen back in 1977.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad has a Mossberg .22 bolt action, a Mossberg 500 his grandpa gave him and a Beretta .32 his uncle gave him.

I tried giving him a G19 and he said no, that the Beretta was good enough. I checked the mag and it had about 7 rounds in it (12 round mags).......
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad is a  vietnam vet, survival nut, retired gunsmith, collector of oddities, and avid shooter. He owned and sold more guns than I will ever possess by the time I was 10.  From pretty cool stuff to total junk, it's all passed through his hands.  He's culled down to more reasonable numbers late in life, luckily.

I don't even want to own nearly as many guns over the course of my life.

ARs, garands, various mausers, "Fudd guns" of every description, c&r stuff, muskets, percussion guns, shotguns, everything...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Granddad had a few different rifles and shotguns, all wood stocked guns he used to hunt with.

Dad has fewer guns, but has owned a Colt SP1 since he was in college in the 70s.

I've surpassed both of their collections at this point, though my favorite gun is one of my granddads (Savage 99 in .300 Savage).  I've posted about it before  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]
No, he had a Charter arms .44 spl and a Winchester m70 in 30-06 and as far as I know he never
shot ether of them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My father is not a gun guy, he has a few he got as a child growing up in the 1940's-early '50's and still has. And a few I have given him over the years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Dads collection has always been bigger than mine.

All but 3-4 are Fudd guns.

I once asked him "Why didn't you buy up any of the Mausers and Enfields when they were so cheap?"
His response?

"I didn't want them"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once asked him "Why didn't you buy up any of the Mausers and Enfields when they were so cheap?"
His response?

"I didn't want them"
View Quote

I've asked my dad about machine guns and such too.  His response was that back then it was a combo of things:  1) ignorance about NFA laws and 2)people didn't think they were going to be banned from new production in the future.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My dad doesn't own any. He has liked shooting with me before though.

My wife and in-laws got me into shooting and concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad only had a .22 rifle and a 12 ga shotty.  Both of which now reside in my safe.

Oh and my Great Great Grandfathers S&W model 2 in .32.  That now hangs on my wall in a shadow box
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad had a few guns. His auto 5 in 20 ga, a 30-30 winchester, some inexpensive .22 rifles, a target .22 rifle, couple of single shot shotguns in .410 and 20 ga for the kids. And a 1903 springfield. A ruger bearcat and a colt woodsman Mk III.

After he died, I sold some of the guns for less than they worth, I didn't know any better then. One of my biggest regrets in life, esp. the 1903.

My collection far surpasses what he had. I still have a couple of the .22 rifles, and the bearcat. My brother took the woodsman and target rifle. He wound up selling the rifle, and I don't know if he still has the woodsman.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Dad had two "snake guns" in the house after his WWII bring-backs were lost.  A 16GA from Sears and a Marlin tube-fed 22LR were all that were around when I became interested in guns and Mom forbid my touching either of them.  I suspect she was instrumental in the trunk holding all of Dad's WWII mementos and his bring-back guns "getting lost" as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad cant own any firearms and i have been called back after a firearm purchase to make sure that i am "JR" .
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]
My father grew up in a small Ct town so I suppose he was exposed to them but I never heard much.

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's I wanted and got for christmass bb guns and pellet guns. When I talked dad into taking me shooting with a "real" gut he borrowed a .22 from his brother .

When I was 17 or so and noseing around in his stuff I came across a 4" model 10 wrapped up in a towel. Years later when I asked he said that he bought it after there had been some store robberies in our local. My dad and his brother ran the local grocery store .

My dad was drafted in 1942 and served as a land based radio operator for the Army air Corp in the caribian .

Dad passed in 2011 at age 92 . A couple of years ago I was talking with a old local guy who asked about a 22 rifle that he had sold my father
in the 1930s . (he wanted to buy it back if I had it) I had never seen or known about it .

My familt was not really against guns but no real gun nuts in the older generations.

That 22 that belonged to my uncle-I got it from him before he passed and cleaned it up and kept it for a few years before I gave it as a birthday gift to one of my uncles grandsons
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#30]
he had 1 berretta. Im the lone gun nut in the family.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#31]
His was much bigger than mine.  My dad was president of the Alabama Gun Collector's Association in the 70's and his thing was saddle ring Winchester 94 Carbines.  He has a nice collection of military guns ('03A3, 03'A4, M1 carbine, 1911, 1911A1, etc.) as well, but he was more of a rare and oddity collector than anything, aside from the lever actions.  He had well over 100 at his peak.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
My dad has 2 gun safes full. Every sidearm used by both the allies and axis.
Luger

high powers

nambu

trench guns

Garands

M1 carbines

Mausers both broom handle and bolt action

Colt saa

You name it.

Also an ar15 and an m1a

One day I will inherit it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad had a glock .45, a .22, 2 12 gauges and a .308

Needless to say, he didn't have a very large collection
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My dad has somewhere around 150 guns.  My grandfather had about that many at one point, but he sold most of his WWII collection off a few years ago.  Same grandfather had a gun store back in the 80's.  Everyone in my family has grown up shooting guns.  We all have a little bit of everything from "evil black guns" to "fudd" bolt actions, single shots, O/U shotguns, big bore revolvers, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Dad only had a .38 Special for CCW. He had hell of an antique sword collection.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#36]
My father had several guns in Cuba to  include a Garand , M1 Carbine  ,Spanish Rolling Block Remingtons , 7mm Mausers and several SW .38s. Once the Communist took over and prohibited ownership of firearms, he cached them with a shit load of ammo in our yard. They are probably stil there covered in motor oil.

One day I  will get then back
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#37]
My dads gun collections is slightly smaller than mine.  He's got a good mix of firearms.  He's really into U.S. WWII firearms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Not even close, my dad had no idea what he was starting when he bought me my first shotgun for my 13th birthday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Hell no.
If my dad was alive and knew how big a gun collection I had, he would shit down both legs.

My dad had a few guns. All but one was stuck up in the furnace duct work in the basement. The other one was leaning in the corner of the living room.

By the way, that line was a direct quote from my uncle in about 1981. He and I were going to a gun show and I told him what I was looking for. Two of the items on the list were an AR15 and a Gerber Mk.II knife.
He said, "When you come home with that stuff, your dad is going to shit down both legs".

I came home with both of them and never told him.
I still have the SP1.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad disliked firearms Saw my collection once when I still lived at home , small by today's standard . said why'd need all these guns . Told him they had some history like my M-1 and M-1 carbine. And I reloaded for them all . Plus the real thing is a lot more fun to shoot then on video games .
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#41]
My Dad doesn't own any guns and never hunted. My grandfathers each had a gun but weren't hunters or shooters. I have a couple now that belonged to my great grandfather but he was a farmer and they were just tools, he wasn't an enthusiast. Cheap single shot 12g he kept by the front door and a cheap single shot bolt action JC Higgins .22 he kept in the laundry room to shoot stuff that was eating his crops.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Bigger collection by far, mostly non-military stuff.

Exceptions: a 22lr AR in the 80s, an Egyptian Hakim in the 90s, later a Garand an AR.

Several 8mm Mauser and 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers that were sporterized are still in the family.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#43]
My dad had a ton of guns, mostly fudd but, an M1A, two garands, an AO tommy gun clone, two colt 1911s, revolvers, and M&P 45.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope. Dad is indifferent when it comes to guns. I got into them myself.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Growing up, my dad had a 38 revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun.  He sold the shotgun decades ago and gave the pistol (it's about a 100 years old) to me for safekeeping, and most of the guns he has now are ones I have given him for Christmas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]
All of my dads guns were fudd guns, with the except of an M1 carbine. Although his hunting Fudd rifle was a .303 British Enfield my grandfather had sporterized back in the 60's. I still use it for hunting.

Never had more than 2-3 boxes of ammo for each gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Dad was in the Army reserves, guns were tools.
He has just enough to fit is needs - CCW, hunting, varmints, bump in the night.
Nothing more/nothing less.

So they were mostly Fudd guns with some pistols.

While I do have Fudd guns, there are a lot more exotic things thrown in.  He thinks they are fun to shoot and neat guns, but doesn't need them for himself.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Mostly just a couple of handguns and a crappy long guns. One of the better handguns is actually sitting in a drawer next to me and it's a 2nd gen Glock 17 he bought in the early 90s and put maybe a few hundred rounds through at the most until he gave it to me recently because he fingers can barely pull a trigger anymore.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
My dad use to shoot trap and skeet competitively in the Air Force so he had mostly shotguns. My family is kind of funny, my dad has a lot of hobbies (guns, rock hounding, photography, computers), and each one of his sons picked up one of his hobbies. I'm the shooter in the group, where one little brother is the photographer, another little brother is the computer guy, and my older half brother is the rock hound. My collection is a lot bigger than my dads ever was.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Grandpop had some lever actions and old shotguns. Dad has a pretty nice collection. Mine is quickly surpassing.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top