Oh You mean like the Interstate 5 Columbia Crossing project? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So a lot of Seattle might get swallowed up by the earth?

What's the catch?

It wouldn't be the first time.

This clusterfuck is going to get so ugly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it change the whole face of the city. You can hit high tide less than a meter underground at most parts of that path, I don't know what the hell they think is going to happen.

They thought that a bunch of contractor's and consultants (and probably some city employees) were going to make a shit-ton of money at the taxpayer's expense for never even starting the project, much less completing it.

That would be already completed if OR was willing to fund the whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
95% of the state is red, or just doesn't give a shit about politics.

It's Seattle and Olympia that fuck it up for everyone else, and it's not ALL of Seattle at that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nahh...

I joined arfcom when I was stationed in CA. I had the same reactions then as I do now. My level of butthurt is probably equal to the offending person's seriousness.

Turn your state red and kick out the commies and you probably wouldn't hear the comments.

It's Seattle and Olympia that fuck it up for everyone else, and it's not ALL of Seattle at that.  

I moved here a year ago and as a single man I have been on a lot of dates in that year. I excepted to get lots of resistance from people about my gun hobby so I kept it secret for a while but I was shocked at the number of supposedly bleeding heart liberal women I've run across that don't care that I own guns. I've even met some gay guys that have some very conservative leanings and would probably be republican if they felt the entire republican party didn't hate them.

The big thing here is people seem to love smoking weed. And all that organic compost bullshit is everywhere. But as a new comer I would say the city is largely libertarian they just don't know what that means so they sign up as democrat.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the catch?

This clusterfuck is going to get so ugly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it change the whole face of the city. You can hit high tide less than a meter underground at most parts of that path, I don't know what the hell they think is going to happen.

They thought that a bunch of contractor's and consultants (and probably some city employees) were going to make a shit-ton of money at the taxpayer's expense for never even starting the project, much less completing it.

How that much money is spent with absolutely nothing to show for it is mind boggling. Then on top of it, nobody seems to interested in looking into the what where whys of the cost.

Here is a paragraph from the Oregonian that sums it up.

"Columbia River Crossing managers spent more than $175 million in public funds planning a bridge, highway and light-rail complex that won't be built. That's about what it would cost for seismic upgrades to the existing Interstate 5 Bridge across the Columbia River between Portland and Vancouver.  Jul 4, 2013"

Then again it is Oregon, like 350 million on a health care website, that never worked and was just scrapped.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the catch?

WA couldn't allow better traffic flow to lower sales tax Portland stores.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I moved here a year ago and as a single man I have been on a lot of dates in that year. I excepted to get lots of resistance from people about my gun hobby so I kept it secret for a while but I was shocked at the number of supposedly bleeding heart liberal women I've run across that don't care that I own guns. I've even met some gay guys that have some very conservative leanings and would probably be republican if they felt the entire republican party didn't hate them.

The big thing here is people seem to love smoking weed. And all that organic compost bullshit is everywhere. But as a new comer I would say the city is largely libertarian they just don't know what that means so they sign up as democrat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nahh...

I joined arfcom when I was stationed in CA. I had the same reactions then as I do now. My level of butthurt is probably equal to the offending person's seriousness.

Turn your state red and kick out the commies and you probably wouldn't hear the comments.

Yep.

There are certainly some far-left loons, but most people don't really "like" democrats as much as they hate what they view as back-asswards socially authoritarian republicans. Most "liberals" I know can understand or sympathize with the ideological arguments about too much government power, or excessive taxation/spending. They don't understand the aversion to stuff like gay marriage, evolution, etc. That's where the republicans lose them.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bridge already exists. This is just a replacement for a bridge which is like 80 years old, and will likely collapse when an errant semi hits it, as the one in Snohomish County did.

Besides Jantzen Beach needs the tax revenue. Have you seen it? There is nothing worthwhile there except for the mall.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep.

There are certainly some far-left loons, but most people don't really "like" democrats as much as they hate what they view as back-asswards socially authoritarian republicans. Most "liberals" I know can understand or sympathize with the ideological arguments about too much government power, or excessive taxation/spending. They don't understand the aversion to stuff like gay marriage, evolution, etc. That's where the republicans lose them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nahh...

Yep.

If a Republican candidate ran that was more like that guy Alan Alda played in the last season of the West Wing I think he could clear up here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OMGBBQWTF!!!!  The end of the world!!!!!

You do know that these type of projects are pretty common in big cities?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yep. Ours went well
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

For the life of me, I can't recall anyone running as an (R) here, who has been taking a position on any of those agenda items.

My wife (the Queen Anne "coffee" party-goer) is probably representative of a vast majority of those who end up voting (D). They get told that candidate "R" is "bad" for saying something they have never said, and once that message is sent out from D(emagogue) party HQ, it not only goes unchallenged, it is promoted by the local press, e.g. I-594.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For the life of me, I can't recall anyone running as an (R) here, who has been taking a position on any of those agenda items.

My wife (the Queen Anne "coffee" party-goer) is probably representative of a vast majority of those who end up voting (D). They get told that candidate "R" is "bad" for saying something they have never said, and once that message is sent out from D(emagogue) party HQ, it not only goes unchallenged, it is promoted by the local press, e.g. I-594.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

You basically answered the question as to why there are so few (R) voters here. The view that the Republican Party is bad comes from the beating they have taken at the national level. People vote straight ticket. I suspect that's true of people in Republican safe districts as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
west coast version of the big dig.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

west coast version of the big dig.
View Quote
IMHO it will be worse.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: snip

Yup, basically as long as you don't say something like "I don't believe in Feminism" or "Global warming is not caused by humans"  girls don't really gives a damn.  

I agree with everyone being accidental libertarians, it's just they get wrapped up with the whole "low information voter" syndrome and vote for whatever is fed them the loudest with the most passion.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Adding freeway capacity doesn't usually help anything. Many cities have been tearing down their waterfront and elevated freeways. Off the top of my head I can think of New York and San Francisco that have done so quite successfully.

Dallas is currently experiencing a movement to tear down one of theirs.

The land is more valuable to everyone than the freeway is.

My theory is that advances in transport as well as improved urban planning will reduce the need for these things greatly over the next few years.

VMT is already falling in almost every state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The viaduct is awesome. It should have been bulldozed and rebuild with more lanes.

Adding freeway capacity doesn't usually help anything. Many cities have been tearing down their waterfront and elevated freeways. Off the top of my head I can think of New York and San Francisco that have done so quite successfully.

Dallas is currently experiencing a movement to tear down one of theirs.

The land is more valuable to everyone than the freeway is.

My theory is that advances in transport as well as improved urban planning will reduce the need for these things greatly over the next few years.

VMT is already falling in almost every state.

Do tell?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This article doesn't say that Hitatchi said the EPB was the wrong type of machine; it does say WSDOT specified the type during the design-build phase and a losing bidder has been critical of the type specified for the project.

http://crosscut.com/2014/01/bertha-seattle-tunnel-wsdot-5-levels-stuck-scenari/2/  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Protip:  Don't get your tunnel boring machine from the lowest bidder.

Nothing wrong with the manufacturer. They told the customer it wasn't the right product for the project and the customer wanted it anyway to save a little money.

Can someone provide me a link to this? Every time I argue against my Seattle friends, who favor this tunnel, I can never find a link that specifically says Hitachi told them.

FWIW - the alternative proposed plan from Cary Moon's group looks better and better every day. Why Seattle didn't go with that- I don't know.

This article doesn't say that Hitatchi said the EPB was the wrong type of machine; it does say WSDOT specified the type during the design-build phase and a losing bidder has been critical of the type specified for the project.

The world will be watching this project closely, and none more so than Dr. Martin Herrenknecht, who could not resist questioning the choice of machine during a lively question and answer session. "Why did you choose an EPBM? I would have selected a Mixshield slurry system," he said. "I wish you good luck, but you will have problems," he warned…

http://crosscut.com/2014/01/bertha-seattle-tunnel-wsdot-5-levels-stuck-scenari/2/  

Thanks. Similar to articles I read early on, when issues arose.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do tell?
View Quote

Google A New Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Google A New Dallas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do tell?

Google A New Dallas.
It's a website that's put together by a blogger and a real estate guy.

Is there any actual traction on the city admin level to get rid of the road?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do tell?

Google A New Dallas.

It's picking up steam as a grassroots type thing. The "blogger" carries an increasing amount of weight these days, as his opinion pieces are starting to have an effect on public support for Michael Morris.

Morris is the one man band that has been planning for the North Central Texas Council of Governments for the last 25 years.

He isn't usually swayed by anything, whether that is budgets, public opinion or the facts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep.

View Quote

They certainly vote in a lot of big .gov tax and spend liberals (and Socialist Party members) for folks who are supposedly libertarianish.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They certainly vote in a lot of big .gov tax and spend liberals (and Socialist Party members) for folks who are supposedly libertarianish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Ahh yes. That ho won by 3,000 votes and ran as nonpartisan.

I feel sort of dumb because I myself in on that election.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top