Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That "not champion fighter" is 36-5-2 as a PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER as well as outweighing her by 50 pounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here.  Weight classes do matter.  That guy isn't a champion fighter but manhandled her like a little kid.

http://youtu.be/o9xjs2fWJEs

Thank you for adding some fucking reason to this thread.

That "not champion fighter" is 36-5-2 as a PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER as well as outweighing her by 50 pounds.

I never said Gegard wasn't a pro, but he is not the #1 fighter in his class.  Rousey was the best in hers. She got destroyed by a journeyman fighter who wasn't even going 50%.

Not saying she wouldn't kick my ass, but the whole "technique trumps size/strength" isn't as universal as some seem to think.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I never said Gegard wasn't a pro, but he is not the #1 fighter in his class.  Rousey was the best in hers. She got destroyed by a journeyman fighter who wasn't even going 50%.

Not saying she wouldn't kick my ass, but the whole "technique trumps size/strength" isn't as universal as some seem to think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here.  Weight classes do matter.  That guy isn't a champion fighter but manhandled her like a little kid.

That isn't an instance of size beating skill. He has size and skill over her. Especially BJJ skill.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't really know what's going on in the video. She might have just grappled 4 guys. We called it a round robin and it'll make the best fighter look like a slob.

Regardless, comparing the likes of Gegard to the average man is delusional.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Jman1984

Yeah he can walk fine. We weren't exactly besties so I'm not sure of every detail. 6 months to 1year is the usual rehab time though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I dare you guys to tell her to make you a sammich. I TRIPLE FUCKING DOG DARE YOU...

(I sure won't even ask nicely)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if you realize how dumb you are making yourself look by continuing this argument using Gegard, but let me clue you in .....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]

i would certainly hope so. she's at the top of her game, and i'm an old POS.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In training Ms. Rousey is rolling with dudes bigger and stronger than her all the time. And I'd wager she wins a fair number of those rolls despite being down on size and strength.

You guys seem to think she's never competed against dudes. I'm telling you straight up: She does. All the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why isn't Ronda fighting 135 lb males in Vegas?

In training Ms. Rousey is rolling with dudes bigger and stronger than her all the time. And I'd wager she wins a fair number of those rolls despite being down on size and strength.

You guys seem to think she's never competed against dudes. I'm telling you straight up: She does. All the time.

Then why don't they start airing it on television? I am volunteering myself to fight her on live television. I will buy my ticket to Vegas. Afterwords she can go to ranger school.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather be destroyed by Gina Carano.

http://i.imgur.com/94g9VEa.gif

Fuckin' ay! She is absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may be a good fighter, but I didn't see him use any kind of extraordinary skill in that video - nothing more than highschool level wrestling stuff.  What I did see was 1. he was able to simply muscle her into fairly simple takedowns and 2. a complete inability for Rousey to inflict her will on him.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then why don't they start airing it on television? I am volunteering myself to fight her on live television. I will buy my ticket to Vegas. Afterwords she can go to ranger school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should get on twitter and tell her and Dana White that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I gotta get a twitter now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Being able to bench 350 is useful if you're lifting a refrigerator.

When you're fighting a professionally trained fighter? How fast you can bench 200lbs, or even 150, matters more than just being able to bench 350.

All the strength in the world is meaningless if you're slow, and most professional fighters are fast, very fast, especially Rousey.
View Quote

True
Muscle mass actually slows you down
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a reason she refuses to fight Cris Cyborg
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]
But, can she cook?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So...

In these fights, the point is to grapple until you get someone into a pain hold? That's it? no punches? Just tugs and pushes, grapples and twists?

The youtube of the man grappling with her - holding her hip with one hand while wrapping the other around her head was 'interesting' - he basically just lifted her entirely off the ground and deposited her where he wanted. Had he been raining blows to her abdomen with that free (right) arm I can't imagine she'd just absorb it.

The other youtubes of the pro vs. street where the same - the guy who rains the most punches non-stop wins unless he gets in an unlucky position to be pinned. There's nothing more 'distracting' then getting not just one or two blows to the side of your head but 3, 4, 5 non-stop. The eyes close involuntarily and the hands go up to defend leaving the body open to any move (which is why most of these fights end on the ground - the aggressor does the bam, bam, bam, bam, bam....body check to floor move.

Height and weight and arm length matter IF punches are allowed. If it's entirely about grappling then whomever knows the quickest moves might win - like a kick to the knee etc.

If the fight is about blows not kicks or grappling, I can't see her beating "most" guys. some guys sure. Guys with a heart condition, overweight guys who never fought. Guys with glasses who can't see without them. But a 200lbs. 6' reasonably athletic guy who knows at least some basics with boxing, sparing, wrestling? half a dozen blows to that model's nose and it's lights out.

View Quote

Grappling >>> striking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Follow the thread
I'm just spelling out why I said a good grappler with some bjj familiarity could win against a traditional black belt in mma. Teach him to stay safe and he can win fights other ways. Obviously ideally you want a well rounded advanced fighter in all elements of the sport, but I felt bjj was being over emphasized in this thread.
View Quote

Perhaps we can match Matt Hughes with Royce Grace and see if that is true.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Plenty of anecdotes to "prove" whatever they want.  Right?  Considering the size of this place I'm sure someone knows a BJJ guy who took someone to the ground and gutted the guy with his own knife after taking it way from him.

So is your story actually real or are you just proving a point?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch what BJJ does against a much larger opponent who doesn't know how to defend against it.

http://youtu.be/W5WfWmISKrk

My former roommate did a lot of BJJ. Totally into it, black belt, fills in teaching...

He recently spent some time in the hospital getting his intestines put back in after his mouth wrote a check his BJJ couldn't cash.

I knew a golden gloves boxer. Who spent along time in rehab, repairing the damage from double heel hooks. When his mouth (specifically his spit to the face) wrote a check his boxing couldn't cash. 100% true story. See how that works?
Plenty of anecdotes to "prove" whatever they want.  Right?  Considering the size of this place I'm sure someone knows a BJJ guy who took someone to the ground and gutted the guy with his own knife after taking it way from him.

So is your story actually real or are you just proving a point?

A year or two ago there was an account of a US female sailer in the ME who was attacked by a bus driver with a knife. She broke the knife and choked him out "with her legs".
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I love these threads, so much.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would it be wrong to assume the average unfit and untrained person armed with a knife and hate could give a competent and fit martial arts practitioner a big problem?  

View Quote

When I trained karate (and cross trained a number of other things) in the late 70s and early 80s we practiced knife disarms. We also sparred with rubber knives. No one executed a clean disarm once as far as i recall. Every match, the guy with the rubber knife would have cut his opponent up bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Riiiigghht
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRAvJKHdXA[/youtube]

I suck
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe anntrocity would fight you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that the problem most males have is that they would only go 50-70% against her and that would be to your detriment.
If you attempt to out-grapple Rhonda, she rolls with top notch guys all day every day, so she would probably catch you in something.

If you aren't going to go 100%, shot out of a cannon, get low, single/double into the fence, suck out the legs, dump her aggressively, climb on top and pound like she's a dude, unless you are really good on the ground, you will lose.

I wouldn't let her take me down or even touch me for that matter. The minute she gets into you and shifts her hips, she can make your life miserable, so I wouldn't let her touch me. I would literally run for the first few minutes until the adrenaline effect wore off, sprawl and brawl after.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah, I love these threads. I'd pay to watch all the claims backed up. I figure the vast majority are made knowing there is no way to prove it. Then the few who actually believe it, because they've never competed in a sport against a professional who'd been doing it for years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being able to bench 350 is useful if you're lifting a refrigerator.

When you're fighting a professionally trained fighter? How fast you can bench 200lbs, or even 150, matters more than just being able to bench 350.

All the strength in the world is meaningless if you're slow, and most professional fighters are fast, very fast, especially Rousey.

True

I know guys with 400 pound bench presses and squats to match.  They also have very "fast" hands.......

Ever notice how most 100M sprinters are pretty muscular.  

There are a lot of "fat blokes" out there who are incredibly fast on their feet and with their hands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a reason she refuses to fight Cris Cyborg
View Quote

If I may, I would like to add some facts here.

While in Strikeforce, Rousey signed the contract to fight Cyborg. At the time Rousey only had 3-4 pro fights. Well, Cyborg failed the drug test (surprise) and she (Cyborg) was suspended. Meanwhile, the UFC closed up shop on Strikeforce and bought out their contracts.

Cyborg then had a UFC contract and she opted out of it. Yes, she went to another promotion instead of staying in the UFC. Cyborg fought at 145 lbs while the UFC only had a 135 lbs division. If you look at Cyborg when she first began fighting, she could have easily made 135 lbs. not so much with all that testosterone flowing through her veins.

Rousey has always said she would fight Cyborg at 135 lbs. where she is the champ. You go to the champ, not the other way around.

Also, I think today the UFC was finally able to sign Cyborg to a 1 fight deal. Rousey would smash her. Look how easy Carano took down and mounted Cyborg (Twice). Rousey does that, and Cyborg gets her arm broken.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That doesn't support the "girl-power" communist narrative that men are weak and stupid though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So...

In these fights, the point is to grapple until you get someone into a pain hold? That's it? no punches? Just tugs and pushes, grapples and twists?

The youtube of the man grappling with her - holding her hip with one hand while wrapping the other around her head was 'interesting' - he basically just lifted her entirely off the ground and deposited her where he wanted. Had he been raining blows to her abdomen with that free (right) arm I can't imagine she'd just absorb it.

The other youtubes of the pro vs. street where the same - the guy who rains the most punches non-stop wins unless he gets in an unlucky position to be pinned. There's nothing more 'distracting' then getting not just one or two blows to the side of your head but 3, 4, 5 non-stop. The eyes close involuntarily and the hands go up to defend leaving the body open to any move (which is why most of these fights end on the ground - the aggressor does the bam, bam, bam, bam, bam....body check to floor move.

Height and weight and arm length matter IF punches are allowed. If it's entirely about grappling then whomever knows the quickest moves might win - like a kick to the knee etc.

If the fight is about blows not kicks or grappling, I can't see her beating "most" guys. some guys sure. Guys with a heart condition, overweight guys who never fought. Guys with glasses who can't see without them. But a 200lbs. 6' reasonably athletic guy who knows at least some basics with boxing, sparing, wrestling? half a dozen blows to that model's nose and it's lights out.

That doesn't support the "girl-power" communist narrative that men are weak and stupid though.

These might be the two best posts in this stupid thread.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be at your best you have to practice at your best and to do that you need to practice with people who are at least your equal or better than you.  Since there are so few female MMA fighters it only makes sense that she works with men on a daily basis.

I estimate that it would be a rare occurrence for her to win against any of her male colleagues that she trains with if they are to give her their best.  The thing is she can't practice with guys going 100% since she wouldn't be competitive and that defeats the point of practice.

Anyone who has been in competitive wrestling or martial arts knows this. Videos of her sparring with men are meaningless.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRAvJKHdXA[/youtube]

I suck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRAvJKHdXA

Does he bench 350?  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A year or two ago there was an account of a US female sailer in the ME who was attacked by a bus driver with a knife. She broke the knife and choked him out "with her legs".
View Quote
Whatever.  Those losers haven't won a fight since the Middle Ages.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, but you can get to second base by having a girl kick your ass
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

When I trained karate (and cross trained a number of other things) in the late 70s and early 80s we practiced knife disarms. We also sparred with rubber knives. No one executed a clean disarm once as far as i recall. Every match, the guy with the rubber knife would have cut his opponent up bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it be wrong to assume the average unfit and untrained person armed with a knife and hate could give a competent and fit martial arts practitioner a big problem?  

What was the context in which knife disarms were attempted?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Forget her fighting skills, she needs to cut that wart off her face, it ruins an otherwise nice package.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done some knife work.  My experience matches up with Don's.

Against an untrained knifer, you might get lucky if you're experienced, practiced, and have seen the knife deployed, and luck is on your side.

Against a trained knifer, you're pretty much toast, barring divine intervention, or one hell of a lot of luck combined with your skill, experience, etc.

If running is at all possible, that's my suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One on one sparring. Usually the guy with the "knife" had it in front and slashed. One guy liked an ice pick hold but he would slash with it. It was light contact. The result was, as I recall, a huge number of what would be called "defensive wounds" mostly to the arms. Some cuts / stabs to the body.

We also did knife vs knife, stick vs stick (using plastic bats that *hurt*), two on one sparring and sparring with the lights out.

When I started the head black belt in the school had some knowledge of the USMC knife fighting program of the '60s, and he basically taught us that if you go up against a knife you will be cut, probably bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One on one sparring. Usually the guy with the "knife" had it in front and slashed. One guy liked an ice pick hold but he would slash with it. It was light contact. The result was, as I recall, a huge number of what would be called "defensive wounds" mostly to the arms. Some cuts / stabs to the body.

We also did knife vs knife, stick vs stick (using plastic bats that *hurt*), two on one sparring and sparring with the lights out.

When I started the head black belt in the school had some knowledge of the USMC knife fighting program of the '60s, and he basically taught us that if you go up against a knife you will be cut, probably bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I believe if you check the record Cris beat Carano by TKO, lets see how Rousey performs in her next fight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thread is full of speculation, for the most part. Let's change it up a bit.

How many have had the chance to actually roll with a person at or even close to her level of training?

I can tell you that it's pretty amazing.

Not denying that some are correct that enough size and strength will overcome technique and conditioning. My point, all along, is that intersection on the graph is not where most would put it. It does move considerably up the slope as training is added to that size/strength advantage.
View Quote

I have, I roll with a bantamweight amateur MMA fighter at least once a week. I am no pushover 195lb Brownbelt Judoka. He play punches me then goes all spiderman and shit. Before you know it I am tangled in a mess of skinny calloused legs and arms. Point is even with me training 3 x a week I can not keep up with a guy who trains 10 hours a day 6 days a week.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i would certainly hope so. she's at the top of her game, and i'm an old POS.

View Quote

this raises an interesting question: in what year would she win more fights than she lost against me or any average guy?  when she was 18?  20?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not sure if you realize how dumb you are making yourself look by continuing this argument using Gegard, but let me clue you in .....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you watch the video a few more times until you get the point which has clearly sailed over your head?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thread is full of speculation, for the most part. Let's change it up a bit.

How many have had the chance to actually roll with a person at or even close to her level of training?

I can tell you that it's pretty amazing.

Not denying that some are correct that enough size and strength will overcome technique and conditioning. My point, all along, is that intersection on the graph is not where most would put it. It does move considerably up the slope as training is added to that size/strength advantage.
View Quote

I train 4 days a week for the most part, 2 different gyms and a college club I somewhat help out with. I am a competitor in the sport as well. The difference between competitors from blue to black in technique is mind blowing.

I am 245 lbs and in decent shape....Pure jiu jitsu, no-gi, I honestly think she would catch me in a submission at some point in a few rolls. I might not catch her at all (my no-gi isn't the best).  That is to say with gym etiquette and rolling with a lighter opponent (245 lb knee on belly, could she handle that?). I would probably let the "girl" etiquette out the window though.

Street wise. Well, that depends on scenarios, but combined with my knowledge of the art and ability to be a complete dick, I think I would come out less injured.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

She's 135. You've seen too many movies, because in the real world, in a fight, size matters.
View Quote

Yup. Skill/speed/toughness definitely matters. But take a big, tough guy with some skills and he'd crush her. When I was young and brash I never lost a fight. Because I [wisely] never fought bigger guys than me! I gave-up daily martial arts workouts because it was hard on my body and I realized that no matter how hard I trained, some little puke with a gun could take it all away in a second. Now I'm old, have NO interest in fighting, and carry a gun myself. I'm an old guy with everything to lose by "playing games". Go figure...

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've done some knife work.  My experience matches up with Don's.

Against an untrained knifer, you might get lucky if you're experienced, practiced, and have seen the knife deployed, and luck is on your side.

Against a trained knifer, you're pretty much toast, barring divine intervention, or one hell of a lot of luck combined with your skill, experience, etc.

If running is at all possible, that's my suggestion.
View Quote

I used to do a little knife work as welll. I also did some work at disarming someone with a gun trained on me (within arm's reach). I would take one of the Crossman CO2 pellet pistols (the .357 revolver clone) and just not load the cylinder with pellets. So the object was to disarm the opponent without him being able to get a blast of air off that hit me. I usually did it with my brother/sparring partner and I could always get it done with him within arm's length because I was the proactive element. I even got the jump on him when he had the gun at my back. Of course, it was easy because he didn't know when I was going to turn on him (even though he knew I would be). Those drills gave me the confidence that if I ever found myself in a similar predicament in real life, I would rather just go-for-it like that instead of wait until the guy shoots me in the back.

At any rate... some guy pulls a knife on me now... I'll just pull the Shield 9mm on him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why don't you watch the video a few more times until you get the point which has clearly sailed over your head?

View Quote

I haven't seen you mention how much experience you have on the mat, yet.

I, and several others in the thread, don't really need to watch videos.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, I watched it.  Anyone without any stand-up game would have gone down with the leg sweep she was trying (I don't remember crazy Japanese judo throw names, maybe Uchi Mata)

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top