Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think ArfCom needs to settle this, by having Rousey come over and beat up half a dozen posters in GD

I would pay to see a couple of experienced street cops try to arrest her at a bar for disorderly.  With any luck at all, it would be an awesome battle:
View Quote

Who's basement will this fight be staged in?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lifting a lot tends to put on muscle mass. Or at least it does if you are doing it right. Being fit doesn't mean being strong. Just average in shape dude.  Average not ideal fit. A guy that watches his weight and maybe hits the gym a couple times a week.

Anthony Pettis, the lightweight champion, is 5'10" and walks around at like 175. Super athletic dude who is well above average. Not in muscle size but in pure athleticism which includes some extra non-average muscle mass. IIRC height is usually factored at 5-7 pounds per inch so knock off that and take away 10-15 pounds of muscle and there you go.
http://mma-paradise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/anthony-pettis1.jpg

For an example of what I don't consider to be average here is Matt Hughes, former welterweight champ, who is 5'9" with a walking weight of around 200 pounds IIRC.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608037292211897669&pid=1.7
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know anything about women in infantry and I have never commented on it so don't attach that to me.

150-160 is bigger than the average fit man of her height. It is more like the average fit man of your height. This isn't a woman that decided to join the marines trying to make it through bootcamp. This is a woman bread from an Olympian to be an Olympian who has trained most of her life to kick ass. If I had to bet I would wager she would do just fine in infantry.

You are nuts. I'd like to see a picture of your ideal "fit". 150-160 is the average weight of a long distance runner at 5'10". I am 5'10", just south of 190. I lift 5 days a week and run 3 days a week.

Lifting a lot tends to put on muscle mass. Or at least it does if you are doing it right. Being fit doesn't mean being strong. Just average in shape dude.  Average not ideal fit. A guy that watches his weight and maybe hits the gym a couple times a week.

Anthony Pettis, the lightweight champion, is 5'10" and walks around at like 175. Super athletic dude who is well above average. Not in muscle size but in pure athleticism which includes some extra non-average muscle mass. IIRC height is usually factored at 5-7 pounds per inch so knock off that and take away 10-15 pounds of muscle and there you go.

For an example of what I don't consider to be average here is Matt Hughes, former welterweight champ, who is 5'9" with a walking weight of around 200 pounds IIRC.

Anthony Pettis doesn't even traps
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I walk long distances and do sit ups. I honestly think I could take her out in a match. if she agreed to not move around much. and not be grabbing at my arms.
View Quote

You might want to ban the leg kicks, too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know anything about women in infantry and I have never commented on it so don't attach that to me.

150-160 is bigger than the average fit man of her height. It is more like the average fit man of your height. This isn't a woman that decided to join the marines trying to make it through bootcamp. This is a woman bread from an Olympian to be an Olympian who has trained most of her life to kick ass. If I had to bet I would wager she would do just fine in infantry.

You are nuts. I'd like to see a picture of your ideal "fit". 150-160 is the average weight of a long distance runner at 5'10". I am 5'10", just south of 190. I lift 5 days a week and run 3 days a week.

No, he isn't muscular by any means. Neither is Anderson Silver at 6' 2" and fighting at 185 pounds. He is likely the best the sport has ever seen at any weight class. Not sure about his walking weight but it is probably about 200 pounds:
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No, he isn't muscular by any means. Neither is Anderson Silver at 6' 2" and fighting at 185 pounds. He is likely the best the sport has ever seen at any weight class. Not sure about his walking weight but it is probably about 200 pounds:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1vBD5rbxJJw/T2AlsjVqQjI/AAAAAAAAR9Q/oCkSv__REnU/s1600/Anderson%2BSilva%2B%25281%2529.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1vBD5rbxJJw/T2AlsjVqQjI/AAAAAAAAR9Q/oCkSv__REnU/s1600/Anderson%2BSilva%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Do you even Fedor, brah?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you even Fedor, brah?
View Quote

You know it!

But with the freakshow matches and the questionable Pride practices I think Anderson has a bigger list of confirmed accomplishments. Now that Andy popped though who the fuck knows who had the more impressive career.  Maybe GSP should be considered the best ever now. I try to stay away from pound for pound discussions because they don't really mean anything because the fighters in them shouldn't be fight each other. Probably something I should have done here because Ronda will never fight men much less random arfcommers. If they want to think about beating up women let them right?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are we talking a fair fight? Or no rules?

Because even if she got me in an armbar, lets see her hold it when I rip a chunk of calf pff her with my teeth and begin to beat her down while she is trying to recover from that.
View Quote

Ha. Bas Rutten has a funny bit he likes to do when this subject comes up. "Never, ever fuck with someone that has a dominant position over you."

JRE Podcast 2:40 min mark

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If Rogan said that, Rogan's an idiot. Rousey would not beat a single trained male fighter unless they were maybe something like 70 pounds.

Women and men of equal size do NOT (I repeat, DO NOT) have equal size and strength. A 5'7" 135# pound man will be significantly stronger and faster. This is illustrated in every athletic pursuit known to humanity in which both men and women compete. A bantamweight will be at least as strong and fast as Rousey even though she outweighs them, and they will have no skill gap.

Rousey's skill comes against women, and there is simply no depth to the field. I don't care whether it goes back to judo or wrestling - there is simply very little competition. Relatively speaking, she is the best, but the sample size is small and the trials are next to meaningless.

Some here can talk about "the average man" being a rolling ball of flab who gets winded walking up a flight of stairs. Why then don't they consider "the average woman," somebody not far from who Rousey demonstrates her skill against, crying after bumping into a cabinet?
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Just noticed he said "even though she outweighs him." Ronda is a bantamweight as well. So even weight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds. She could take me apart in 10 seconds I bet.

I don't know why so many people have such huge egos that they couldn't even concede that a professional FEMALE fighter could beat them. It's embarrassing. Then again, I should have figured as much since most guys in GD are hard-core fighting machines and nothing short of Chuck Norris would bring them down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are people going to keep shelling out money for a PPV event if Ms, Rousey keeps taking opponents apart in less than 30 seconds? Good question to ponder.

The replay, just as with the last fight, shows why people are talking absolute nonsense. Making one mistake...even for a fraction of a second...is enough to get your arm broke. You don't appreciate what that is until you've actually faced it.

Ms. Rousey post-fight: "I'd never done a takedown like that before. I just made it up on the spot."

Fighting is a lot like free-form jazz...improvisation. Somebody who has done enough of it that they can come up with shit they've never done before based on position and circumstances right now and then execute it while you're still trying to figure out why your last blow missed is going to be a problem for you no matter how big and strong you believe you are.

I don't know why so many people have such huge egos that they couldn't even concede that a professional FEMALE fighter could beat them. It's embarrassing. Then again, I should have figured as much since most guys in GD are hard-core fighting machines and nothing short of Chuck Norris would bring them down.

If someone walked into work and said, "Hey, I've played a bit of street ball, I bet I could take Jordan/Kobe/Lebron (or pick the worst player in the NBA) with my size and strength".  You'd look at that person like a moron.

There's no less skill involved for someone, man or woman, that's honed their craft over 17 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Judging by the number of disqualifications from foot stomps I've seen over the years, they know all the illegal moves, likely much better than you do.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because even if she got me in an armbar, lets see her hold it when I rip a chunk of calf pff her with my teeth and begin to beat her down while she is trying to recover from that.
Judging by the number of disqualifications from foot stomps I've seen over the years, they know all the illegal moves, likely much better than you do.  

Foot stomps were ok in early UFC. So was stomping someone who was down. Good stuff, good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If someone walked into work and said, "Hey, I've played a bit of street ball, I bet I could take Jordan/Kobe/Lebron (or pick the worst player in the NBA) with my size and strength".  You'd look at that person like a moron.

There's no less skill involved for someone, man or woman, that's honed their craft over 17 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are people going to keep shelling out money for a PPV event if Ms, Rousey keeps taking opponents apart in less than 30 seconds? Good question to ponder.

The replay, just as with the last fight, shows why people are talking absolute nonsense. Making one mistake...even for a fraction of a second...is enough to get your arm broke. You don't appreciate what that is until you've actually faced it.

Ms. Rousey post-fight: "I'd never done a takedown like that before. I just made it up on the spot."

Fighting is a lot like free-form jazz...improvisation. Somebody who has done enough of it that they can come up with shit they've never done before based on position and circumstances right now and then execute it while you're still trying to figure out why your last blow missed is going to be a problem for you no matter how big and strong you believe you are.

Actual athletic results prove men are more skilled, faster, and stronger.

Her girly skills cannot overcome biology. Evolution is a bitch
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of people want to think they can use "dirty fighting" to overcome skill. Biting someone who is armbaring you is a good way to lose an arm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, if someone walked into work and said  "hey, I've played a bit of street ball, I bet I could be in the WNBA", you'd probably nod thoughtfully and agree. Especially if they played ball in high school or college.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ha. Bas Rutten has a funny bit he likes to do when this subject comes up. "Never, ever fuck with someone that has a dominant position over you."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. Something in this post sounds familiar. Like it's been stated more than once in this very thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Foot stomps were ok in early UFC. So was stomping someone who was down. Good stuff, good stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So were nut shots. I watched every one of the early fights. Cheap shots never changed the direction of a single fight.

Ruas and (iirc) Varlens were stomping the shit out of each other's feet. Didn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it's been proven many times that a smaller, weaker opponent can beat a larger stronger one, so long as they have enough superior skill. It doesn't matter if that person is smaller and weaker because of their gender or not.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL
In for all the guys who say they could take her.
I would sit cage side taking all action and make bank on her whooping your asses.

View Quote

What kind of idiot would take that bet???
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On the other hand, if someone walked into work and said  "hey, I've played a bit of street ball, I bet I could be in the WNBA", you'd probably nod thoughtfully and agree. Especially if they played ball in high school or college.
View Quote

Those who have put in the time playing a competitive sport as a young adult are aware of their limitations if they're honest with themselves. They know what it means to be strong because they're been beaten by them. They know what it takes to be strong because they've trained beside them. They've either tried to go pro and failed or they realized the monumental amount of work ahead of them and decided to settle for playing on a recreational level.

In other words if someone tells you they could go pro, view with skepticism.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ruas and (iirc) Varlens were stomping the shit out of each other's feet. Didn't make a difference.
View Quote

Yeah, but those leg kicks worked.

Mostly it was Ruas with the stomps. Hard to say how much they were working, like the leg kicks it was the result of many over time.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mostly it was Ruas with the stomps. Hard to say how much they were working, like the leg kicks it was the result of many over time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, yeah. I remember that, now. Can you imagine what his legs looked like in a couple days? They were already purple during the fight. Guys can break baseball bats, kicking like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually it's been proven many times that a smaller, weaker opponent can beat a larger stronger one, so long as they have enough superior skill. It doesn't matter if that person is smaller and weaker because of their gender or not.
View Quote

One thing I will always remember about Muy Thai training. We had a girl that trained at the same gym and at the end of class, we would all spar a round or two. If there was not another girl there, she sparred with a guy. When I would spar against her, it was always odd at first, because it went against everything I was taught and hitting a female was so taboo. It only took a few leg kicks from her for me to realize I needed to get my shit together before I looked like a fool. Also she was only 15 years old or so and I was 18-21. Ever her leg kicks hurt like a mofo.

I would be interested to see what many of these guys that don't feel Rousey could challenge them in the slightest would do against a woman with high level striking, much less high level grappling (which is much more difficult to overcome).

A few leg kicks against a guy that has no idea how to check them would be commical.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You played my trap card!  

Could that guy beat the best WNBA player in the league?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is like the 4th time you've said it is communist for a woman to be better than a man. Do you even know what communism is or is it just "that Obama stuff" to you? If anything you are being emotional by trying to bring politics into a nonpolitical discussion. But you knew that right? You are just trolling?

Being fat doesn't mean you aren't strong or even in good condition. Roy Nelson is a fatass in the heavyweight division that still manages to be very competitive. It does mean you are carrying pointless mass. He would do better as a light heavyweight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop trying to reason with people peddling an emotional communist agenda.  Women are strong, men are weak comrade.

For those making fun of the fat guys......I played Rugby with a lot of guys the 6 pack crowd would refer to as "fat slobs", a couple of them were incredibly fast and insanely strong.  They could throw the 150-180 pound (in shape) guys around like they were 5 year olds.

That is like the 4th time you've said it is communist for a woman to be better than a man. Do you even know what communism is or is it just "that Obama stuff" to you? If anything you are being emotional by trying to bring politics into a nonpolitical discussion. But you knew that right? You are just trolling?

Being fat doesn't mean you aren't strong or even in good condition. Roy Nelson is a fatass in the heavyweight division that still manages to be very competitive. It does mean you are carrying pointless mass. He would do better as a light heavyweight.

I bring politics into this because I hate to see members of a site that celebrates the constitution of this great nation wittingly or unwittingly forwarding a communist goal.  I am just trying to help people of this site of from being one of Lenin's useful.......

No emotion just cold hard facts.  Do you deny that feminism is part of communism?

FWIW fat guys carry "pointless mass" until they fall on you, or you try take them down.  

It was an everyday occurrence watching "mr. 180 pound six pack" get completely incapacitated when he got speared by a fat bastard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
FIGHT HER
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Favor Rousey 2016
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Since when is getting your ass beat by a female PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER equivalent to embracing communism (or feminism for that matter)?

Some of you folks seem to be severely overcompensating for something. Just a cold, hard fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bring politics into this because I hate to see members of a site that celebrates the constitution of this great nation wittingly or unwittingly forwarding a communist goal.  I am just trying to help people of this site of from being one of Lenin's useful.......

No emotion just cold hard facts.  Do you deny that feminism is part of communism?

Since when is getting your ass beat by a female PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER equivalent to embracing communism (or feminism for that matter)?

Some of you folks seem to be severely overcompensating for something. Just a cold, hard fact.

Because, Murica! Don't be listenen to dat Obama stuff. He da devil. I beat all da womenz wit my mighty rugby spear. I learned it watching that Bill Goldberg wrasslin.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a cold, hard fact for you, Donny:  You don't know what you're talking about.  You've bought into years of shitty movies and magical martial-arts marketing.

You are watching the best native hockey player in Cambodia and saying they could beat anyone on a rec League in Canada.   We have idiots in here the actually believe that there are seventy year old Japanese men who could break anybody in three seconds with their depth of knowledge.  
A question for that guy.  Where are all the seventy year old boxers?  Shouldn't they keep gaining more and more skill and experience to overcome their shortcomings? I thought skill could overcome anything?

The unpleasant reality is that no matter how skilled you are, it is dramatically limited by the physical abilities of your body, much like putting Mario Andretti in a Prius.  
Some people understand this, and some people believe that no, it's just a matter of knowing the right thing too do, and if you take my REX-KWON-DO course YOU TOO can OVERCOME ALL OBSTACLES!!!

Lets take a look at some physical evidence, in handy .gif format for the breakdown of just how much of a size and strength matter.

First up: What many people think is the #1 female contender to Rousey, Cris Cyborg, training with former UFC champ Tito Ortiz, who's going at about 30%.

Tito shucks her off like a child, and then hits basic single leg and casually powers her over.

Tito has her up against the wall.  Here's where she uses her skill to leverage off a much larger opponent, who's not even really trying.  Oops, didnt work.  Maybe the crossface?  Nope, not that either. Tito is unmoved by using the technique of Being Large.

Now let's look at Rousey sparring with Gegard Mousasi

Casual trip takedown, hip control, muscled to her back at about 50% effort.  First-year wrestling stuff.

Gegard just picks her up

(Continued from the last)

Gegard rolls her over.  Pay attention to her complete inability to deal with an opponent this size.  She tries to get her hips over him, can't.  Tries to post up, gets her leg straightened out from underneath her.

Again, just a bear hug to the ground

Rousey attacks!  She is unable to impose her will or force her position.  Gegard half-asses his way out of danger

Gegard uses a kind of shuck/duckunder to spin to a heel-grab, wins the scramble for top

Gegard uses his weight and size to avoid counters, picks Rousey up yet again.

I would like to make a few points about the above vidoes:
1.  Those guys are really, really not trying hard.  At all.  Especially on defense, they can pretty much just hunker down and be unmoved.
2.  Every time there is a scramble for positioning, the smaller female fighter loses.  Every time.
3.  If you think the reason these guys are winning is because they are professional male fighters, please show me the high level skills they are employing.  Because to me it looks like pretty damn basic grappling stuff, executed with a minimum of effort.  

Don't think so?  Still think they're using their superior UFC training?

Watch some High School state wrestling matches

There are literally hundreds of high school kids who could do this to these women.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Lets take a look at some physical evidence, in handy .gif format for the breakdown of just how much of a size and strength matter.

First up: What many people think is the #1 female contender to Rousey, Cris Cyborg, training with former UFC champ Tito Ortiz, who's going at about 30%.

http://i.imgur.com/3wjzcAe.gif

Tito shucks her off like a child, and then hits basic single leg and casually powers her over.

http://i.imgur.com/msTRzPY.gif

Tito has her up against the wall.  Here's where she uses her skill to leverage off a much larger opponent, who's not even really trying.  Oops, didnt work.  Maybe the crossface?  Nope, not that either. Tito is unmoved by using the technique of Being Large.

http://i.imgur.com/A5j3bba.gif

Casual trip takedown, hip control, muscled to her back at about 50% effort.  First-year wrestling stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/DhYBKyj.gif

Gegard just picks her up

http://i.imgur.com/qU2VE4d.gif

Gegard rolls her over.  Pay attention to her complete inability to deal with an opponent this size.  She tries to get her hips over him, can't.  Tries to post up, gets her leg straightened out from underneath her.
http://i.imgur.com/1D5dagx.gif

http://i.imgur.com/QcH9kpP.gif

http://i.imgur.com/poYwv6l.gif

Rousey attacks!  She is unable to impose her will or force her position.  Gegard half-asses his way out of danger

http://i.imgur.com/Mipi1Yw.gif

Gegard uses a kind of shuck/duckunder to spin to a heel-grab, wins the scramble for top

http://i.imgur.com/c49k4uO.gif

View Quote
Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion.  UFC Light Heavyweight Champion.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like how you cut off the last part of my post.  You know, the part that specifically addresses this.

Here, I'll post it again for you:

1.  Those guys are really, really not trying hard.  At all.  Especially on defense, they can pretty much just hunker down and be unmoved.
2.  Every time there is a scramble for positioning, the smaller female fighter loses.  Every time.
3. If you think the reason these guys are winning is because they are professional male fighters, please show me the high level skills they are employing.  Because to me it looks like pretty damn basic grappling stuff, executed with a minimum of effort.  

There are literally hundreds of high school kids who could do this to these women.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I like how you cut off the last part of my post.  You know, the part that specifically addresses this.

3. If you think the reason these guys are winning is because they are professional male fighters, please show me the high level skills they are employing.  Because to me it looks like pretty damn basic grappling stuff, executed with a minimum of effort.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for posting again.  I did not see your phenomenal point before.  Problem is, that ship sailed long before.  Watch the early UFC's where BJJ goes through everyone, including wrestlers, or any of the TUF series where an amateur with wrestling doesn't know his BJJ yet, or the 1st Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar fight.  Rhonda has to treat Gegard and Ortiz different because they know BJJ.  She can't use risky or trash moves that would be easily countered by someone who knows what they are doing.  Same way a boxer will approach a skilled opponent versus an unskilled opponent.  Much more cautious.    

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't pretend to know shit about the status of HS wrestling in South Dakota but I believe this girl took seventh place.

I'd think that boys would be lining up for an easy win.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Here's a cold, hard fact for you, Donny:  You don't know what you're talking about.  You've bought into years of shitty movies and magical martial-arts marketing.

You are watching the best native hockey player in Cambodia and saying they could beat anyone on a rec League in Canada.   We have idiots in here the actually believe that there are seventy year old Japanese men who could break anybody in three seconds with their depth of knowledge.  
A question for that guy.  Where are all the seventy year old boxers?  Shouldn't they keep gaining more and more skill and experience to overcome their shortcomings? I thought skill could overcome anything?

The unpleasant reality is that no matter how skilled you are, it is dramatically limited by the physical abilities of your body, much like putting Mario Andretti in a Prius.  
Some people understand this, and some people believe that no, it's just a matter of knowing the right thing too do, and if you take my REX-KWON-DO course YOU TOO can OVERCOME ALL OBSTACLES!!!

Gegard just picks her up

3.  If you think the reason these guys are winning is because they are professional male fighters, please show me the high level skills they are employing.  Because to me it looks like pretty damn basic grappling stuff, executed with a minimum of effort.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gegard just picks her up

I looked up Gegard and saw that he fought as high as a heavyweight. why compare him to her.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting again.  I did not see your phenomenal point before.  Problem is, that ship sailed long before.  Watch the early UFC's where BJJ goes through everyone, including wrestlers, or any of the TUF series where an amateur with wrestling doesn't know his BJJ yet, or the 1st Frank Mir v. Brock Lesnar fight.  Rhonda has to treat Gegard and Ortiz different because they know BJJ.  She can't use risky or trash moves that would be easily countered by someone who knows what they are doing.  Same way a boxer will approach a skilled opponent versus an unskilled opponent.  Much more cautious.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The early days of the UFC had a very thin competitor pool. Within a year or two, wrestling became the dominant style, where it remains today by a large margin. Nearly all of the successful fighters have a wrestling background and have dabbled in or studied other disciplines. Jose Aldo today is the only MMA fighter who has a BJJ basis and is a true standout. Frank Mir was a state champion wrestler, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]

I'd throw one of these and be winded

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ronda got stalled and stopped from using anything while getting muscled into the simplest of takedowns.  

Again with the BJJ is magic shit. The problem with BJJ is that you don't have to be good at it to avoid it.  

She was unable to dictate the situation. She was unable to establish position. She could not enforce her will. She pretty much couldn't do jack shit.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1191375/teh_roll.gif  

I'd throw one of these and be winded

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't pretend to know shit about the status of HS wrestling in South Dakota but I believe this girl took seventh place.

I'd think that boys would be lining up for an easy win.
View Quote

It seems as though boys are just as likely to forfeit as they are to wrestle a girl. Men are psychologically programmed - instinctively - to hold back against women, not hurt them. Competing against a woman is a no-win situation.

There's also the issue of where to put your hands. Wrestling a girl, which I never did, has got to be uniquely different.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Gegard just picks her up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gegard just picks her up

Your descriptions of these gifs really show that you don't know what you're looking at.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:    

The early days of the UFC had a very thin competitor pool. Within a year or two, wrestling because the dominant style, where it remains today by a large margin. Nearly all of the successful fighters have a wrestling background and have dabbled in or studied other disciplines. Jose Aldo today is the only MMA fighter who has a BJJ basis and is a true standout. Frank Mir was a state champion wrestler, by the way.
View Quote
We're talking about Rousey versus someone who doesn't know BJJ, not wrestler base versus BJJ base versus boxing base.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Again with the BJJ is magic shit. The problem with BJJ is that you don't have to be good at it to avoid it.  

View Quote

So, all of Ken Shamrock's years in shootfighting and pancrase should have been plenty to avoid a very simple hadaka jime against a guy whom he had 50 pounds and a considerable amount of strength on, right?

The choke was one of the most basic. The set up was not. That's where the skill and experience matter.

How much experience do you have on the mat or submission fighting against highly skilled competitors?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Your descriptions of these gifs really show that you don't know what you're looking at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gegard just picks her up

Break it down for me please!  

eta.
You seem like a reasonable dude.  I feel like we're talking past eachother here, and that we could come to an agreement.
I'm not saying your average dude at Denny's could take Rousey, despite having a distinct size advantage on her.

I'm saying that she is at a significant disadvantage due to her physical limitations against a much larger opponent of moderate skill.  That large men with grappling experience are perhaps more common than people think.  And that I have not seen significant evidence to convince me that her skill level is high enough to overcome such a significant disadvantage. Rousey is not Royce Gracie.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Break it down for me please!  Obviously my years of competition and experience have failed me.
View Quote

This one, in particular, stands out. She was obviously drilling on converting uchi mata into a tuck under knee bar. Gegard obviously knew what she was working on and was presenting several different defenses to that attack. She's not going 100% either, because that's not how you work on technique. In fact, we don't know how long she's been at it. Work on the mat for 3, 4, 5 hours. Even the best, most conditioned fighter, when placed against a larger or fresher one will look very bad. We called them round robins. The guy training for the fight would have 3 or more guys who rotate in so he's always facing someone fresh. This serves several purposes but, I digress.

I won't take the time you took to comment on every one. Obviously some of them you called correctly. But several you are calling "sparring" when it is obviously not randori. They're drilling a specific technique. When doing that, the uke knows what's coming that hones the ability of the tori to hit the technique because when you can hit it against someone who knows it's coming you have it down.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your general point. But, if you're trying to say that technique can't make up for size/strength difference regardless of the genders involved, you're demonstrably incorrect. Of course, someone larger, stronger and with some training will beat her. No one who knows whereof they speak is claiming otherwise. That point is further up the graph than many realize, particularly those who have never fought submission.

ETA: To address your ETA Generally agreed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This one, in particular, stands out. She was obviously drilling on converting uchi mata into a tuck under knee bar. Gegard obviously knew what she was working on and was presenting several different defenses to that attack. She's not going 100% either, because that's not how you work on technique. In fact, we don't know how long she's been at it. Work on the mat for 3, 4, 5 hours. Even the best, most conditioned fighter, when placed against a larger or fresher one will look very bad. We called them round robins. The guy training for the fight would have 3 or more guys who rotate in so he's always facing someone fresh. This serves several purposes but, I digress.

I won't take the time you took to comment on every one. Obviously some of them you called correctly. But several you are calling "sparring" when it is obviously not randori. They're drilling a specific technique. When doing that, the uke knows what's coming that hones the ability of the tori to hit the technique because when you can hit it against someone who knows it's coming you have it down.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your general point. But, if you're trying to say that technique can't make up for size/strength difference regardless of the genders involved, you're demonstrably incorrect. Of course, someone larger, stronger and with some training will beat her. No one who knows whereof they speak is claiming otherwise. That point is further up the graph than many realize, particularly those who have never fought submission.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break it down for me please!  Obviously my years of competition and experience have failed me.

I would like to cheerfully turn this around on you and question exactly how much you know about wrestling, since you seem to think that many of the things you talk about are unique to some kind of Martial arts training.  I assure you, round robins and technique-specific drilling are carried out in every entry level wrestling program in the nation.   Probably every kid in the video has been wrestling for over a decade, and is in professional-athlete shape.

There are many practitioners of Eastern Martial Arts who still cannot shake of the aura of mysticism and "one true path" feeling that their practice is somehow unique and carries with it some kind of secret lore.  This has been deliberately played up, of course, by enthusiasts and those who are marketing their particular teachings.  I'm not saying you are one of those people.  But they're in this thread.

You can see this in other discussions on the internet - people want easy answers.  What's the best martial art for me to learn.  What's the best gun.  What's the best ammo. What's that secret thing I need to know that will give me the edge.  Nobody wants to hear "hard work" as the answer, or face the idea that nature has it's own cruel limitations that are contrary to your wants and desires.

There is ultimately, very little new under the sun. Techniques go by different names in different places. What the male opponents in the above clips were doing is very, very basic stuff for wrestlers - jockeying for position, closing the distance, manipulating your opponent, limiting their options, controlling their center of gravity.  Most of the moves don't have cool Japanese names, or even the same names from one state to the next.  But they are the product of the distilled experience of millions of man-hours.    

I've seen enough and experience enough combat sports to understand that while there are no absolutes, nature has some very heavy handed suggestions dictated by physics and biology.  We're all searching for that 'One Weird Trick!' that can get us around this fact,  But there's a lot of shit in life that's just not fair.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I would like to cheerfully turn this around on you and question exactly how much you know about wrestling, since you seem to think that many of the things you talk about are unique to some kind of Martial arts training.  I assure you, round robins and technique-specific drilling are carried out in every entry level wrestling program in the nation.   Probably every kid in the video has been wrestling for over a decade, and is in professional-athlete shape.

There are many practitioners of Eastern Martial Arts who still cannot shake of the aura of mysticism and "one true path" feeling that their practice is somehow unique and carries with it some kind of secret lore.  This has been deliberately played up, of course, by enthusiasts and those who are marketing their particular teachings.  I'm not saying you are one of those people.  But they're in this thread.

You can see this in other discussions on the internet - people want easy answers.  What's the best martial art for me to learn.  What's the best gun.  What's the best ammo. What's that secret thing I need to know that will give me the edge.  Nobody wants to hear "hard work" as the answer, or face the idea that nature has it's own cruel limitations that are contrary to your wants and desires.

There is ultimately, very little new under the sun. Techniques go by different names in different places. What the male opponents in the above clips were doing is very, very basic stuff for wrestlers - jockeying for position, closing the distance, manipulating your opponent, limiting their options, controlling their center of gravity.  Most of the moves don't have cool Japanese names, or even the same names from one state to the next.  But they are the product of the distilled experience of millions of man-hours.    

I've seen enough and experience enough combat sports to understand that while there are no absolutes, nature has some very heavy handed suggestions dictated by physics and biology.  We're all searching for that 'One Weird Trick!' that can get us around this fact,  But there's a lot of shit in life that's just not fair.  
View Quote

I'm surprised you haven't crossed my path here, before. I agree that there is no mystical magic. There's no trick technique (although I  have a couple that some would swear and be damned that I'm practicing some sort of magic. )

I've taught kids, women, MMA hopefuls, cops and your sentiment about "no magic bullet" is one of the first things covered. Particularly with women's courses. "There is no technique I can teach you to allow you to over come a 200 pound violent, muscular man except for how to effectively use a good handgun". Yeah, that didn't go well with some of the woman power types.

I didn't wrestle in school. I have cross trained with some good wrestlers, MT guys, aikido/aikijutsu, and BJJ. Studied a little traditional pancrase. Did some silat and escrima with TDI when John asked my consult on their CQPC course. My main art was JJJ. So I understand the cross over in techniques and terms. I also understand the difference in approaches, styles, nuances, etc. Not tooting my own horn, I assure you. You're wondering where I came from so I'm giving you the facts.  

I've rolled with guys who were fairly good at what they did.
" />
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I could kick. her. ass.

Well, when she was like, 7 or 8 years old.  But you see, that's why I only fight the elderly and children.  It's the warrior in me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zhukov, the reason I brought it up is the simple fact someone decided to create an uber-troll thread with the specific intention of trying to tell the men in GD they were weak.  Contrary the manufactured reality of GD, not every guy on this site is fat slob.  

That's feminism, feminism is part of communism.  Perpetuating a lie, to promote an ideology.  Don't be useful to Lenin.

Just because some of us called some bloke out on a load of bollocks, doesn't mean all who disagree are insecure.  Favourite feminist insult too BTW.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't think the people arguing are actually in as much disagreement as it appears. Both sides agree: she's not just elite, but arguably the best in the world, someone who fights for a living and has done so all her life, someone at the far end of the spectrum in terms of athleticism and skill. And yet it wouldn't take an elite male fighter to defeat her, merely a skilled one.  A skilled male fighter can beat a bigger, stronger non-fighter. The same holds for women, but the threshold beyond which skill cannot reach is lower. That is the best illustration of the inherent disadvantage women have when facing men that I can think of.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top