Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2015 9:31:37 PM EDT
I'm thinking 99.9% of folks naming their babies these names have no idea what they mean, nor do they care.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheridanwatson/did-you-really-name-your-kid-that
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of them seem arabic
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Those aren't the names I think of when I think of 'ghetto', for the most part.  Also, I'm pretty sure that the 'Mercedes' I have met, were named after a model of car, not an abstract Spanish concept.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread does not deliver.  I was expecting Lemonjello/Oranjello.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't read the whole list but I always wonder why idiots named Kristoffer don't fix their names.  It's like they have some sassy twist on who they are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Black Power movement / Nation of Islam / crusades seen as a white against black (brown) people atrocity.  Hence naming your child something the white man won't like.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those aren't the names I think of when I think of 'ghetto', for the most part.  Also, I'm pretty sure that the 'Mercedes' I have met, were named after a model of car, not an abstract Spanish concept.
View Quote

The car was named after a girl.

IIRC it was the daughter of one of their engineers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Nothing on La-a?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What about La-a?

damn beat
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
"Stephen Colbert's middle name is Tyrone" ... wtf really?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]

"Goddesses..."
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daughter of a French investor whose investment capital was necessary to get production going.

Daimler and Benz flipped a coin for which name would go along with Mercedes.

Daimler lost.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Article is false advertising.  Those are mostly ethnic names, many arabic names as already stated.

I'd be interested to know the meaning of real ghetto names like:

Laquisha
Levondrius
De4Shae
Shaniqua

I'm pretty sure they have no meaning and they are picked at random with some name generator or mixing up 3 or 4 syllables from a list.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember my Mom said doctors at a certain inner city hospital she worked at in the 1960's would suggest all kinds of fucked up names to young black women if they couldn't come up with a name for their newborns.  My mom said the doctors would laugh like hell if one of the girls actually named the baby on the doctors recommendation.  

Then what was weird some years later I read Unintended Consequences by John Ross and he described the same thing my Mom told me about.  I guess this was a common occurrence or perhaps explains the fucked up names black kids started getting back in the 60's and 70's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nothing on La-a?

View Quote

LOL.  The dash isn't silent.

What about Abcde ?  (Pronounced "absidy")
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My cousin works with a guy who has a friend with a sister, who's uncle's friend has a brother/sister who's a tranny named m~ :#er  Nothing is silent.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Article is false advertising.  Those are mostly ethnic names, many arabic names as already stated.

Laquisha
Levondrius
De4Shae
Shaniqua

I'm pretty sure they have no meaning and they are picked at random with some name generator or mixing up 3 or 4 syllables from a list.
View Quote

Ghetto oneupsmanship.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Now explain all the participant's names in the Key & Peele East West Bowl.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
What! No Plaxico or D'Brickashaw ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember my Mom said doctors at a certain inner city hospital she worked at in the 1960's would suggest all kinds of fucked up names to young black women if they couldn't come up with a name for their newborns.  My mom said the doctors would laugh like hell if one of the girls actually named the baby on the doctors recommendation.  

Then what was weird some years later I read Unintended Consequences by John Ross and he described the same thing my Mom told me about.  I guess this was a common occurrence or perhaps explains the fucked up names black kids started getting back in the 60's and 70's.
View Quote

Or, it's possible it's just an urban legend that's pervasive enough to have made it to your ears and the author's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Daughter of a French investor whose investment capital was necessary to get production going.

Daimler lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daimler lost.

I will gladly concede that the auto-maker was named after a girl, and thus indirectly the ones I have met were merely named after another girl...but how does that explain the Porsches and Cadillacs?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a student, male, African/American, named SPQR ("The Senate and People of Rome"), seems his parents were big fans of gladiator/Roman army films. We ended up calling him Sar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread Is literally brimming with I-DON'T-GIVE-ONE-SINGLE-FUCK.

Name your crotch fruit whatever the hell you want, nobody cares about the meaning of their names.

If it sounds stupid as shit, it is factually stupid as shit.

Copy that Jamir?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Why can't I find Hingle McCringleberry?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't are Shithead or La-a on the list.

Jerome is not a ghetto name
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#26]
The learned author obviously understands my whiteness prevents me from fully appreciating how the ghetto embraces history, sophistication and multiculturalism.

If only there was a line from the Zimmerman trial I could respond with to show her I am on her side.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Time for this thread again, huh?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
How about Excrecia. What does it mean?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I almost had a pregnant hoodrat sold on the name "LaTrine" but I just couldn't. I told her what the word meant before we parted ways.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I almost had a pregnant hoodrat sold on the name "LaTrine" but I just couldn't. I told her what the word meant before we parted ways.

View Quote

That's what YOU think.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I will gladly concede that the auto-maker was named after a girl, and thus indirectly the ones I have met were merely named after another girl...but how does that explain the Porsches and Cadillacs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daimler lost.

Back in my cabbie days I had a fare who named her bastard "Diamante."

Yup, after the Mitsubishi.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not?  

I recall seeing a guy on the Jerry Springer Show named Tercel.  

Yes, like a Toyota.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's what YOU think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what YOU think.

It was around 2000, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife worked with someone named tinnitus.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
At the beginning of each school year when I get my new rosters I usually have a good aught reading them over
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Had a student, male, African/American, named SPQR ("The Senate and People of Rome"), seems his parents were big fans of gladiator/Roman army films. We ended up calling him Sar.
View Quote
Had a frequent flyer inmate at the jail named "Afro Spade XXXXXXX"

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Black Power movement / Nation of Islam / crusades seen as a white against black (brown) people atrocity.  Hence naming your child something the white man won't like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're doing it right.  I can't stand idiotic names.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So interested that you'd actually read the article? laquisha was the very first named covered.

Also, it seems like the article was more about trying to legitimize those BS names than trying to be informative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laquisha
Levondrius
De4Shae
Shaniqua

So interested that you'd actually read the article? laquisha was the very first named covered.

Also, it seems like the article was more about trying to legitimize those BS names than trying to be informative.

Fair point, I had that paragraph blocked by noscript so I just saw the list of names.

I didn't know the meaning of any of those names before, and I don't think any of the 20 I would automatically associate with the ghetto.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
does not accounbt for shit literacy

My favorite was a girl named Fa -MAL - E spelled female
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I work with a female named T'KE yah.

I kid you not, its all one name pronounced takeeah.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why not?  

Yes, like a Toyota.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  

Yes, like a Toyota.

"Tercel.  It means reliable."

Well at least it wasn't Sorento.  Can you imagine how pissed one would be after finding out they were named after a Kia?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was waiting for L'shaniquamella and Espn.

ETA - Espn is named after the sports channel ESPN. I found out about it when one of the ESPN radio shows reported a news story about parents who named their kids Espn. They had multiple examples and everyone on the show had the same opinion - WTF?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Laquisha
Levondrius
De4Shae
Shaniqua

View Quote

I believe you hit the nail on the head
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well at least it wasn't Sorento.  Can you imagine how pissed one would be after finding out they were named after a Kia?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?  

Yes, like a Toyota.

Hey, I could handle "el Dorado".

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife's mother is a 100% born in Mexico Mexican and her name is Mercedes so there might be something to the Spanish connection to the name.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

lol this.

true ghetto names are products, horribly misspelled uncommon names or some crazy shit like shakaluckakillwhiteycracker, i go by Tay or Shay.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daimler lost.

Cadillac. Got nothing for you,

Porsche though.... Could be Portia. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hope they aren't surprised when the "white man" wont hire them because their name is buffhonda
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daimler lost.

Actually, if you were from Detroit, Cadillac would be a fine, historic name.  

Assuming, of course, that you knew some history.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top