Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Set a  regular steel hex nut on top of the boogered screw, weld hex nut to screw.
remove your newly fashioned hex bolt with correct size socket wrench.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. TIG is a must. Drill it out and use an EZ-Out is your next option without TIG.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welding a nut looks like a good option... I don't have a tig welder, my dad has a flux core. Do you guys think that will work?

No. TIG is a must. Drill it out and use an EZ-Out is your next option without TIG.

I use a wire feed MIG welder   for this type of broken screw removal,  often.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]

This. Impact-driver for the win.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
AirArc...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And another vote for the impact driver. I would try the impact driver first, then if that fails try the weld-a-nut method if feasible. If you snap off an EZ out you're fucked.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you sure that it isn't staked or otherwise peened elsewhere?

Maybe a set screw or a pin?

I would soak it in Kroil over night.

Then if that didn't work, I would do the old farmer trick of setting it in Coca Cola, again, at least overnight.

Sometimes, all it takes is a really good downward smack to get it to free itself.

Then it will twist out like normal.

Is there an exploded parts diagram somewhere that has a parts list.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts if the parts list showed it as having left hand threads?

After the Kroil, coke, and a good couple of smacks with a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer, I'd try heat first.  Maybe the tip of a sodering iron first in the slot, and then a MAPP gas torch.

And before it cools down, try the flatbladed screw driver smacks with a hammer.

Then I would try drilling it out.  Yeah it would be nice if you had left handed drill bits, and maybe left handed taps, and a drill press, with a cross slide vise.  Just don't fuck yourself any further by breaking a tap off in the hole.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:And before it cools down, try the flatbladed screw driver smacks with a hammer.
View Quote

That's what an impact driver is for. It twists the bit (blade, philips, allen, torx) slightly when you hit it with the hammer.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Still have not gotten the screw out, been busy lately
but considering the amount of heat and force I have put on that screw I doubt it will come out

Here is my plan of attack,
dremel a new deep slot and use an impact screw driver
If that fails, try welding a nut on with a flux core welder
If the nut just breaks off I will try this

Thanks guys for all the suggestions... and as one guy said this is why arfcom is truly great
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, keep us posted.
Good Luck.
And, yes great people here for info, such as an obscure automobile problem I had long ago.
Was ready to give up, posted here, Ten Minutes, Problem Solved!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Remove the bolt and rear cover to gain access to the screw from the front. Hit that with a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone. Let that soak in for a few minutes. While that is soaking in, cut a wider slot with the dremel. Hit the screw from the front with heat from a mapp-gas torch for 30 seconds or so, and use an impact driver to pull the screw. Repeat these steps, as necessary, and it'll come out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, if you have a mig welder, select a nut that fits the outside diameter of the screw head, set it in place, then weld the nut to the screw head thru the center hole of the nut, let cool until the orange is gone and throw a socket on it and remove it....by far the easiest way to remove stuck bolts/screws..the heat of welding will expand the metal as well.........
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lol... didn't think about that

Also even if I was able to put another slot for a screwdriver in their it wouldn't come off

The dunk monkeys at century arms anodized the entire gun assembled... it really stuck on there
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

fabricators may not have been the best choice....

This is firmly in the defabrication area...

Also even if I was able to put another slot for a screwdriver in their it wouldn't come off

The dunk monkeys at century arms anodized the entire gun assembled... it really stuck on there
Apply windex it will dissolve the anodizing. You could also maby use household ammonia applied carefully, tho I've never tried. People use windex to remove aluminum screws that have oxidized and bonded to the aluminum receiver they were put in.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Apply windex it will dissolve the anodizing. You could also maby use household ammonia applied carefully, tho I've never tried. People use windex to remove aluminum screws that have oxidized and bonded to the aluminum receiver they were put in.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fabricators may not have been the best choice....

This is firmly in the defabrication area...

That screw is steel. So is the receiver. You're saying they anodized steel?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welding a nut looks like a good option... I don't have a tig welder, my dad has a flux core. Do you guys think that will work?

Hell, I use a 90A Harbor Freight flux core for the same.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
might as well throw it down a driveway at this point.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
In since it started, did he get it out?
Less=More.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
or use a nut buster. basically a rivet gun with a long leverage bar and use your tip of choice on the fastener.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any hole you drill use a left hand drill bit. often times just drilling the hole can back out the screw and no need to tap or use an EZ out
View Quote

Yep, best way to start IMO. If you do make a hole without the bolt spinning loose then put an easy out in there right away while it's warm. If that fails drill and tap to the proper size.

It's not that hard.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top