Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/24/2015 7:00:47 AM EDT
So, having thought about the BATFE's shenanigans, it seems to me that someone needs to make some legal handgun AP ammo just to screw with them.

Nickle is $6-$7 a pound, pretty hard and reasonably dense.  I would guess that a light for caliber nickle core, shaped like a KTW or Arcane bullet, with a thin (under 25%) electroplated copper jacket would have AP properties. Maybe try for a 80 grain-ish 9x19mm at +p+ 1500fps velocities.  Maybe make a 5.7x28mm version to, for additional giggles.

Yes, I'm ignoring state and local legalities for areas with those issues.  But what's the BATFE going to do if you have a homogenous core of an element that's not on the naughty list of "tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium".

We know its completely irrelevant whether a projectile actually pierces soft armor, so why not make and sell ones that actually do?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You posted this twice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I literally cannot fucking even
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I literally cannot fucking even
View Quote

His plan is totally workable. The BATFE would just make up some BS to yank your license, and possibly shoot your dog.

A solid nickel core, even a hardened one, would be legal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You posted this twice.
View Quote

Not on purpose, poor cell connection.  I assume a mod will fix shortly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You posted this twice.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.

Op:
How about not trying that? Don't poke the bear. Bears have a hell of a temper. They bite, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You posted this twice.
View Quote
You posted this twice.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Op:
How about not trying that? Don't poke the bear. Bears have a hell of a temper. They bite, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You posted this twice.

Op:

To be fair the more crazy shit the BATFE does, the more court cases we can fight them with. Poking the bear until it goes really crazy and a court puts it in its place is one way to win this.

Who wants to volunteer to be a legal martyr? Don't everyone raise your hands at once...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Op:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You posted this twice.

Op:

I'm sort of torn on that. The bear already started this one. Its completely legal, and there's probably a market for it.

Does SIG have a 006?  This seems up their alley.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Why though? the FFL O6 can only sell the AP pistol ammo to the government or for export so it does little to rub in the face of the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

To be fair the more crazy shit the BATFE does, the more court cases we can fight them with. Poking the bear until it goes really crazy and a court puts it in its place is one way to win this.

Who wants to volunteer to be a legal martyr? Don't everyone raise your hands at once...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You posted this twice.

Op:

Uhhh... fuck that shit. I'm more than happy to keep my hands out of cuffs, and my angus unpeppered.

If you want to try it, go ahead. It's a free country. Just be sure to leave your full name and town of residence here. That way when you show up on the news, we can all honestly say: "Hey! I remember that guy! That's too bad for him, it used to be legal." I'm not going to be that guy...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why though? the FFL O6 can only sell the AP pistol ammo to the government or for export so it does little to rub in the face of the ATF.
View Quote

It wouldn't BE AP per the definitions.  Nickle (and a bunch of other potential metals)  aren't listed.  They could sell it to anyone (except for local/state level restrictions).
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Incorrect.

The ammunition the OP is discussing would not meet the legal definition of AP. It would be no different than any other non-AP bullet, and could be sold to anyone in states lacking seperate laws on the matter.

If a bullet can poke holes in something, or was designed to poke holes in something, has nothing to do with its legal status on the Federal level. Only materials used and jacket percentage matter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I get it now, thought that nickel was a listed material.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Are steel sabots illegal for pistols?

Couldn't find anything in my quick googling

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get it now, thought that nickel was a listed material.
View Quote

I might also suggest nickel-cobalt alloys, various high density ceramics, and perhaps titanium (low density, I know... Make it long, and reap the velocity advantage).
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would just assume we need to avoid all of the materials listed, since the BATFE has decided to just ignore "core" and "entirely" in the law.

There are some really simple choices that should punch through no problem with a somewhat traditional design.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would just assume we need to avoid all of the materials listed, since the BATFE has decided to just ignore "core" and "entirely" in the law.

There are some really simple choices that should punch through no problem with a somewhat traditional design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just mostly cuirous. I know that some milspec 5.56 AP is steel sabots, and it would make more sense to have a mag full of AP sabots then an entire load out of steel core.

Though I agree for this mental exercise we should probably stick away form the "scary" materials.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing, I.E. avoiding alloys with significant amounts of listed materials. Can 80/20 nichrome wire be hardened?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing, I.E. avoiding alloys with significant amounts of listed materials. Can 80/20 nichrome wire be hardened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea... Isn't that stuff used in heating elements?

I think this is probably closer to what you need: http://www.specialtysteelsupply.com/pdf/MP35N.pdf
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Weaponize your toaster, or more likely stove heating element.

Probably the easiest way might be nickel alloy welding rod cores.  http://www.magmaweld.com/eni_424_nickel_stick_electrode.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Probably the easiest way might be nickel alloy welding rod cores.  http://www.magmaweld.com/eni_424_nickel_stick_electrode.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the alloy I posted above. None of the bad-touch materials and some good qualities. I believe the nickel-cobalt family may have the best performance from commercially available stock that does not contain prohibited materials.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Check out the alloy I posted above. None of the bad-touch materials and some good qualities. I believe the nickel-cobalt family may have the best performance from commercially available stock that does not contain prohibited materials.
View Quote

For pure performance Ni-Co is probably as good as it would get, off the shelf.  It does look like you can buy 99% Ni welding rod for relatively cheap.http://www.weldingcity.com/filler-metals-stick/cast-iron-repair/eni-c1-ni99/1-8x14-rod-nickel99-ni99-eni-c1-5-pk-free-shipping.html The question is whether a 1/8" welding rod chunk in a drilled out 85 grain .380 bullet, driven at 1500fps would pierce soft armor...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#23]
New idea: rare earth magnet rods. Seems like they would be dense, and reasonably common.

Dunno his strongly magnetic bullets would feed though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
New idea: rare earth magnet rods. Seems like they would be dense, and reasonably common.

Dunno his strongly magnetic bullets would feed though.
View Quote

Those things are brittle, not cheap, and some contain iron.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#25]
No iron in this.  No idea if SmCo is brittle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, those are going to be very brittle.

What about some form of cupronickel?

Or Thorium.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was just mostly cuirous. I know that some milspec 5.56 AP is steel sabots, and it would make more sense to have a mag full of AP sabots then an entire load out of steel core.

Though I agree for this mental exercise we should probably stick away form the "scary" materials.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or Thorium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Thorium.

Would thorium count as lead free in CA?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I want Tritium tipped bullets.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Thorium.

Yes...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#31]
OP - how about you write a letter to the ATF asking them if this is legal?  Let's all do that and see what fucking happens mkay?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP - how about you write a letter to the ATF asking them if this is legal?  Let's all do that and see what fucking happens mkay?
View Quote

I thought GD hated people that play pen pal with the BATFE?

If anyone can figure out how there's any applicable federal law against a Ni cored bullet with less than a 25% weight jacket, I'd love to hear it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If anyone can figure out how there's any applicable federal law against a Ni cored bullet with less than a 25% weight jacket M855, I'd love to hear it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If anyone can figure out how there's any applicable federal law against a Ni cored bullet with less than a 25% weight jacket M855, I'd love to hear it.

Or this?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Or this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this?

While M855 does not meet the legal definition of AP, it does contain one of the listed materials, which gives them a straw to grasp at.

In this case, they will have to blatantly just say "it's AP because we say so".

Which will make an even better court case...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#35]
the AP handgun ammo law has ZERO to do with the performance of a round against soft armor.  it is all about bullet construction.  the ATF even straight up said that in their M855 ban notice
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Intredasting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the AP handgun ammo law has ZERO to do with the performance of a round against soft armor.  it is all about bullet construction.  the ATF even straight up said that in their M855 ban notice
View Quote

Obviously, that's the point of this...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

While M855 does not meet the legal definition of AP, it does contain one of the listed materials, which gives them a straw to grasp at.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this?

On M855, the BATFE can argue jacket weight as well.  Not saying that will hold up, since it was clearly not designed as a handgun round, being that it was around for something like 20 years as a rifle only cartridge. (Early 60's to late 70's).   It IS bullshit, and I think that they aren't going to have much luck in court with it, but they do have the argument.

If instead we have a bullet with less than 25% jacket weight, and no listed materials in the core, what's their argument?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]
As a wise man once said, " Ridiculous regulations provoke transparent evasions."

As we should have learned by now, transparent evasions often provoke more ridiculous regulations.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

On M855, the BATFE can argue jacket weight as well.  Not saying that will hold up, since it was clearly not designed as a handgun round, being that it was around for something like 20 years as a rifle only cartridge. (Early 60's to late 70's).   It IS bullshit, and I think that they aren't going to have much luck in court with it, but they do have the argument.

If instead we have a bullet with less than 25% jacket weight, and no listed materials in the core, what's their argument?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this?

"We ARE the law."

Which will hold up great in court.

Looks like pure nickel can be age hardened. Perhaps forgo the jacket entirely? You could harden the projectile, and then perhaps (safely shielding the nose of the projectile with a heat sink) torch anneal the surface which contacts the bore? Goal being a differentially hardened projectile, hard tip and core, soft bore contact region...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"We ARE the law."

Looks like pure nickel can be age hardened. Perhaps forgo the jacket entirely? You could harden the projectile, and then perhaps (safely shielding the nose of the projectile with a heat sink) torch anneal the surface which contacts the bore? Goal being a differentially hardened projectile, hard tip and core, soft bore contact region...
View Quote

How much you want to bet that they would call that a 100% jacket bullet?  I think better to have a core and jacket construction of some sort, either electroplated on to the bullet or by reusing a commercial jacket.  Well, if someone that had some swaging equipment (paging fat mcnasty...) they could just make jackets.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#42]
You want someone else to tickle the dragons tail?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Cobalt is better.  Because when they come for your ammo, you pop it into the neutron beam you have in your basement and turn the bullets into cobalt 60
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cobalt is better.  Because when they come for your ammo, you pop it into the neutron beam you have in your basement and turn the bullets into cobalt 60
View Quote

Good idea!  That way when the BATFE can't figure out a charge that would stick, they can call in the NRC to talk to you.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
If you want to pierce armor with a handgun, sabot a 55gr FMJ in a .357 or .44 and work up a Bullseye load until you crater primers. It'll go slick through a vest.

Turned nylon wadcutters ontop of a good charge of the same powder will do the same, up close, or so it's said.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you want to pierce armor with a handgun, sabot a 55gr FMJ in a .357 or .44 and work up a Bullseye load until you crater primers. It'll go slick through a vest.

Turned nylon wadcutters ontop of a good charge of the same powder will do the same, up close, or so it's said.
View Quote

Theoretically, the 55gr FMJ might have too high of a jacket percentage to be legal. (Or at least some tool at DOJ might argue it)  I want one that is completely, utterly kosher, but makes a mockery of the rule.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How much you want to bet that they would call that a 100% jacket bullet?  I think better to have a core and jacket construction of some sort, either electroplated on to the bullet or by reusing a commercial jacket.  Well, if someone that had some swaging equipment (paging fat mcnasty...) they could just make jackets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We ARE the law."

100% jacket is an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm filing this under "things that are completely normal for Keith_J"...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We ARE the law."

Agreed, though I can see the BATFE defining the jacket as "the layer of material that touches the bore".  Safer to use copper the more I think about it.  An interesting side note is that the 25% rule applies to full metal jacket designs.  If you drill out a hollow point to carry a penetrator, it isn't a fully jacketed projectile anyway.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Copper plated diamond boolits!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top