BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 43
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waterglass, where did you grow up and how old are you?

I was born in 1977, grew up in a little Podunk town and that wasn't my experience at all.
View Quote

We still had party lines in the 90s in my part of WV. Hell we didn't get residential DSL internet in this area till the mid 2000s.

Figured I'd add, not that it really matters but Dad died when he was around 50, although my moms mother is pushing 90.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What the hell, me too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In.

What the hell, me too.

Can't pass on an opportunity like this...in.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely, these days at my age having seen false claims made against innocent men and having read more than a few stories of men on years after incarceration exonerated I can say that I firmly believe in innocence  until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I admit sometimes some acts are so deplorable I too get carried away with calls for vengeance rather than justice, but that's why we need a rule of law not a rule by mob.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Absolutely, these days at my age having seen false claims made against innocent men and having read more than a few stories of men on years after incarceration exonerated I can say that I firmly believe in innocence  until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I admit sometimes some acts are so deplorable I too get carried away with calls for vengeance rather than justice, but that's why we need a rule of law not a rule by mob.
View Quote

The phone is pretty damning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
but you have to remember until about 60 years ago most people died at age 45.
View Quote

These claims always annoy me. It's simply untrue. As jonathan2421 already pointed out in this thread, life expectancy was low prior to modern medicine primarily.because of high infant mortality. If you made it to puberty, chances are you'd live a long life (60+). At no point in human history did "most people die at age 45," except maybe among some marginal hunter-gatherer groups. It's absolutely untrue for 19th century America, where living well into your 80s was fairly common.

If you take two people, one that dies at age 1 and another that dies at age 89, the "average" (mean) age of death would be 45.

And marrying at age 14 was rare. The average age of marriage for females in the US and UK during the 19th century was early 20s (varied a bit, but I've seen figures of 20-22). Add a few years for males.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either he is the most naive pastor known to man, or...

Yeah..
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Organ donor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll pay a dollar to the person who can best condense 37 pages.  

NAKED-GUNMAN is being accused of raping a 14 year old girl, ARFCOM goes full ARFCOM

I wonder how many arfcommers have gone to prison for such things and we never knew

I have often wondered why some high post count, long time members just up and disappear.

ETA: And I DO NOT think it was anything illegal, but I really want to know what happened to SoTD after he foed

Organ donor.

Involuntary

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has been around teens ....

In the 1990's if an abused teen needed some way to call for help, there might have been a reason for a stealth cell.

Today?  With the unlimited number of ways to communicate anonymously?   Uh...yeah, buying a stealth cell is suspicious.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which means that "they"   are reading everything that "we"   say here, just as fast as we can type it.

dp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Serious question here.  Would investigators in this case be interested in the threads N-G posted here to verify that the people he mentions in his threads as "A friend of mine"..."who is accused of doing such and such with underage girls"..... isn't actually him?  I think he had more than a few of those threads, IIRC.

The first thing investigators seize is a suspect's computer(s) and the guys that investigate these types of crimes leave no stone unturned.

Which means that "they"   are reading everything that "we"   say here, just as fast as we can type it.

dp

Sucks for that guy. 42 pages of folks who just knew he was a chomo
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
So how long till the case is resolved?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trial is set for 04/06/15.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My household phones are all old classics.  I've got four, two have the wire to the ringer pulled and one on each floor still rings but I've dampened the bell with some electrical tape and paper stuffing.  You can still hear 'em in the shower over the radio.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from the freedom of movement, I much preferred my grandmother's phone.  I think she had the Ma Bell one he's talking about.  It was black and took up about half a city block, the handset was heavy enough to have been carved out of lead and it had an actual bell inside.  It also made the most satisfying clicks as you turned the dial.  

Also, I had no idea I had a whole 4 years on you.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/mean-old-lady.jpg

My household phones are all old classics.  I've got four, two have the wire to the ringer pulled and one on each floor still rings but I've dampened the bell with some electrical tape and paper stuffing.  You can still hear 'em in the shower over the radio.  

Those were real phones. When you slammed the handset down to hang up on someone, they knew it and everyone around you knew it. "CRASH rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinng" Kids these days have to settle for angrily pushing "end" and scowling.

You could set boobie traps with a good desk phone and its attached tripwire to the wall. We had one with a line from the basement all the way to its resting place at the top of the stairs. Don't you youngsters try to understand why. This is how things were done in the days of corded rotary phones. We bought phone line like preppers buy 550 cord. Where was I? Oh yes, tripwire. Well, the kids' basements were downstairs and sometimes we'd accidentally get home a little later at night than we were supposed to. Mom & Dad would be sound asleep at that witching hour as we crept in silently, until a wayward foot would catch telephone cord strung across the steps in the dark. The sound of an old mechanical phone tumbling down a flight of stairs was just the ticket to awaken them from their slumber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Many people did, yes. Average life expectancy at birth in 1955 was just 48 years. Modern medicine was not wide spread until the late 60s early 70s. It wasnt very good until the mid 80s. In 1955 alot of agriculture was still done by animals. Life was not a hollywood movie with rock'nroll and shiney new cadilacs and soda pop. Think less Back To The Future and more O Brother Where Art Thou.

when I was a kid in the mid 1990s we still had a party line phone line and a 15 pound Ma Bell issued phone. It had a dial on it and a cord yo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Until a few years back 14 year old girls could be prostitutes in vermont. I remember hearing about it on the news when the laws were changed. I think it was changed in 2011. Alot of states have consent laws that are crazy. but you have to remember until about 60 years ago most people died at age 45. It was common to start families much earlier before modern medicine.

People did not always live the way we do. They couldn't because the technology to do so was non existent..

The laws should be updated to the times we live in.

What, like in Zaire or something? 60 years ago is 1955.  Are you under the impression that "most people" died at 45 in the 1950's?  In America?

Many people did, yes. Average life expectancy at birth in 1955 was just 48 years. Modern medicine was not wide spread until the late 60s early 70s. It wasnt very good until the mid 80s. In 1955 alot of agriculture was still done by animals. Life was not a hollywood movie with rock'nroll and shiney new cadilacs and soda pop. Think less Back To The Future and more O Brother Where Art Thou.

when I was a kid in the mid 1990s we still had a party line phone line and a 15 pound Ma Bell issued phone. It had a dial on it and a cord yo.

You are committing lewd and lascivious molestation of US History.   Everything you thought you "Knew" was wrong.

You've been corrected by very many people.   Please Just Stop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#14]
EDIT: NM.. beat to death.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what the texts on that phone say.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/Jack-Off%20in%20the%20box_zpsu8we8kmx.jpg

You have the text on the wrong sides since you listed N-G as the contact on top.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You have the text on the wrong sides since you listed N-G as the contact on top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/Jack-Off%20in%20the%20box_zpsu8we8kmx.jpg

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Wait... KingRat is the (now 16 y/o) girl that N-G was macking on?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Correcting the wrongs of the world.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I phones are lame.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Normally I wouldn't read a 42pg thread, but this was worth it.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This thread has it ALL.

I was born in '81 and we had a rotary phone and a party line for a long time....I grew up about 10 minutes outside of Salem OR.

ETA- I am also clearly nearing the end of my life expectancy. I see my kids eyeing my guns and ammo in preparation of my imminent passing....

So...if we work backwards from '81...someone born in '77 would have probably been using courier dinosaurs for long distance communications right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was born in 1977, grew up in a little Podunk town and that wasn't my experience at all.

1977?  You can't be posting.  No one lives that long.  

I just find it fascinating how people can have such different world views, presumably based on how/where they grew up.  

I mean, we had something like this in 1995 and hadn't had party lines for YEARS:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/phone_zps2cebh5io.jpg

This thread has it ALL.

I was born in '81 and we had a rotary phone and a party line for a long time....I grew up about 10 minutes outside of Salem OR.

ETA- I am also clearly nearing the end of my life expectancy. I see my kids eyeing my guns and ammo in preparation of my imminent passing....

So...if we work backwards from '81...someone born in '77 would have probably been using courier dinosaurs for long distance communications right?

kids......I was born in 62...we had a party line with a 40 lb bakelight phone...and our number was...letters.  Alpine 9-5409     [can't believe I remember that ]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

kids......I was born in 62...we had a party line with a 40 lb bakelight phone...and our number was...letters.  Alpine 9-5409     [can't believe I remember that ]
View Quote
Did you ride a T-rex to school?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1977?  You can't be posting.  No one lives that long.  

I just find it fascinating how people can have such different world views, presumably based on how/where they grew up.  

I mean, we had something like this in 1995 and hadn't had party lines for YEARS:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/phone_zps2cebh5io.jpg

This thread has it ALL.

When I was a kid I couldn't figure out why my dad always wrote our phone number as 96-23161.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Normally I wouldn't read a 42pg thread, but this was worth it.  
View Quote

Damn you... Off to the first page...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone condense this thread and give a motherfucker a run down/play by play?

http://i59.tinypic.com/30rtytd.jpg

You rang?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, trying to ride a T-Rex is just plain stupid, especially for kids.

Il-temperament aside, the spinal incline of a bipedal dinosaur is a challenge for even the most experienced riders.

Apatosaurus [1] is the way to go.

Not to Self:  Ask a computer forensics expert anything, as long as it doesn't involve hominid locomotion on Late-Jurassic and Cretaceous animals.

[1] http://www.npr.org/2012/12/09/166665795/forget-extinct-the-brontosaurus-never-even-existed
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

brontosaurus....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Ok.  Just saw this post.  Much better answer, even if technically wrong.

ETA:
Even though this is primarily a firearms site, we are blessed with a surprising breadth of subject matter experts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Il-temperament aside, the spinal incline of a bipedal dinosaur is a challenge for even the most experienced riders.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-l7TFL2eIRLE/UAR546ABBOI/AAAAAAAAU1A/RavKmvxTHjQ/2012-07-15-004_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

Not to Self:  Ask a computer forensics expert anything, as long as it doesn't involve hominid locomotion on Late-Jurassic and Cretaceous animals.

[1] http://www.npr.org/2012/12/09/166665795/forget-extinct-the-brontosaurus-never-even-existed
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-l7TFL2eIRLE/UAR546ABBOI/AAAAAAAAU1A/RavKmvxTHjQ/2012-07-15-004_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

I fail at hominid locomotion.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

brontosaurus....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

brontosaurus' aren't real....just like Pluto....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the attorney doesn't play some delaying games but then he takes a plea deal. If there's solid evidence against him he probably won't want to risk a longer prison sentence by taking it to a jury trial and being found guilty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Had to go there, didn't you.

I'm gonna get me one of those "When I was a kit, Pluto was a planet!" t-shirts now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm gonna get me one of those "When I was a kit, Pluto was a planet!" t-shirts now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

And on the back it should say "and brontosaurus was real"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Shut your whore mouth about Pluto.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread delivers!

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

It's the scientists man not me.

Maybe the scientists are just testing our faith?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Pluto and Ceres May Become Planets Again Soon
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And I am saying that you have exactly half the story...but are still willing to lynch a man based on that. Personally, I would have reacted as you have pointed out....but then that wouldn't be on a public forum... he may well be guilty... I have seen lives destroyed on spurious accusations like this before. I watched nearly the same scenario unfold at my own church...a younger female accused our Pastor of sexual advances and harassment..a big investigation ensued...it came out that this particular girl...had a history of making such accusations....our Pastor was exonerated...but it left a dent in his reputation...enough that a by-law was passed by the voting congregation and okayed by the Pastor [to protect himself] and the Elders [of which I was a member] In which, if a female was to meet with the Pastor for any reason..a Senior Elder or the Deacon was required to be present as well.   IMO all churches should adopt that rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact is if I got a call from a 14yo girl that asked me if she "lead me on" and she confronted me about "acts" I'd say "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" I sure as fuck wouldn't change the subject...but that's because in my case there would have BEEN NOTHING to actually accuse me of. I suspect you would react in the same way right?

Ask yourself this- under what circumstances would a man react the way he did if a 14yo girl (16 I guess at this time) accused them of some kind of acts?
The only reasonable explanation is that he changed the subject and he said what he did because her accusations had at least some truth to them.

And I am saying that you have exactly half the story...but are still willing to lynch a man based on that. Personally, I would have reacted as you have pointed out....but then that wouldn't be on a public forum... he may well be guilty... I have seen lives destroyed on spurious accusations like this before. I watched nearly the same scenario unfold at my own church...a younger female accused our Pastor of sexual advances and harassment..a big investigation ensued...it came out that this particular girl...had a history of making such accusations....our Pastor was exonerated...but it left a dent in his reputation...enough that a by-law was passed by the voting congregation and okayed by the Pastor [to protect himself] and the Elders [of which I was a member] In which, if a female was to meet with the Pastor for any reason..a Senior Elder or the Deacon was required to be present as well.   IMO all churches should adopt that rule.

You were an Elder an at a church?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

No.  No rejoicing allowed.  Pluto is like that creepy dude who just shows up to a party uninvited.  Let him in the door, and there's the matter of the whole damn Kuiper Belt, and I don't think we have enough beer for that.

And Ceres?  Give Ceres time to clear her orbit, and then we'll talk.  The way I see it, to confer planetary status upon Ceres is just a cover for lewd and lascivious behavior with an under-developed planet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.  No rejoicing allowed.  Pluto is like that creepy dude who just shows up to a party uninvited.  Let him in the door, and there's the matter of the whole damn Kuiper Belt, and I don't think we have enough beer for that.

And Ceres?  Give Ceres time to clear her orbit, and then we'll talk.  The way I see it, to confer planetary status upon Ceres is just a cover for lewd and lascivious behavior with an under-developed planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But there's lights on Ceres.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nobody ever talks about Eris, either.  Poor, poor Eris.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact is if I got a call from a 14yo girl that asked me if she "lead me on" and she confronted me about "acts" I'd say "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" I sure as fuck wouldn't change the subject...but that's because in my case there would have BEEN NOTHING to actually accuse me of. I suspect you would react in the same way right?

Ask yourself this- under what circumstances would a man react the way he did if a 14yo girl (16 I guess at this time) accused them of some kind of acts?

The only reasonable explanation is that he changed the subject and he said what he did because her accusations had at least some truth to them.

Also known as, or a variation of, the Billy Graham rule. Billy Graham had a rule that he would not meet, travel, or eat with another woman alone.
 It came to be known as the Billy Graham rule and has been widely
embraced by Evangelicals over the past 60 years to prevent infidelity or
even the "appearance of evil.”

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, if you want to give these under-formed planets a phone and talk to them, knock yourself out.  I just don't think it's appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hey, if you want to give these under-formed planets a phone and talk to them, knock yourself out.  I just don't think it's appropriate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ceres shouldn't have hugged me like that
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I say we wait and see what happens in court

If you have met anyone from his church they will attest to how
great a Pastor he is/was.

Several people would like to see a man of God taken down these days.

If he is guilty, he will just have to pay for his sins, sad thing even if he is found innocent
his name has been tarnished.

Free

View Quote

Anyone that posts the stuff he posted is no man of God.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I say we wait and see what happens in court

If you have met anyone from his church they will attest to how
great a Pastor he is/was.

Several people would like to see a man of God taken down these days.

If he is guilty, he will just have to pay for his sins, sad thing even if he is found innocent
his name has been tarnished.

Free

View Quote

You should look at what Jerry Sandusky's friends and family said about him prior to everything coming out.

ETA: and Sandusky never, to my knowledge, posted a series of creepy threads bragging about the hot girls he had a position of influence over that he was banging. Even if he didn't rape that girl, his conduct on here is clearly disqualifying for a pastoral role.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brontosaurus....

Yes!

[insert dorky Napolean Dynomite kid fist pump.gif]
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top