Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2015 4:16:06 PM EDT
if it takes a year or two, why panic now?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Because people are prone to panic
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
SOON..
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Very quickly. A Chicago minute.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
they have banned it.

and I've seen March 16th mentioned a few times.

I say Jan first 2016.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It already is, they just haven't announced it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
After the ATF has neckbearded all of their M855.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't really matter now. What used to be "cheap" plinking ammo is now overpriced junk.

FBHO

FBATFE
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they have banned it.

and I've seen March 16th mentioned a few times.

I say Jan first 2016.
View Quote

Show proof that it is banned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
They will make it retroactive so the mere possession of M855 is illegal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Beware the Ides of March.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Stupid question alert!!!

Since the ATF used a pistol version of the AR15 to classify m855 as armor piercing, what .223/5.56 ammo isn't armor piercing out of a pistol?  I mean if twisted logic can do this to m855 what's to stop them from banning all rifle cartridges that can be fired from a commercially available pistol AR15 (assuming they're all armor piercing as defined by the ATF)?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The March 16 date thrown around is because in the rulemaking procedure they are required to allow 30 days from the proposal of the rule to allow public comments (not that they will listen). So since it appears their mind is made up, people are saying March 16 since that's the earliest (30 days from proposal) that they can enact the change.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stupid question alert!!!

Since the ATF used a pistol version of the AR15 to classify m855 as armor piercing, what .223/5.56 ammo isn't armor piercing out of a pistol?  I mean if twisted logic can do this to m855 what's to stop them from banning all rifle cartridges that can be fired from a commercially available pistol AR15 (assuming they're all armor piercing as defined by the ATF)?
View Quote

IIRC, It's the steel core that they are going by, 193 doesn't have a steel core.

I was looking over just bullets last night, and it seems like EVERY 62 grain bullet is out of stock, steel core or not.  Panic buyers FTW.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stupid question alert!!!

View Quote

If they want to, nothing stops them, because it's clear from this classification that the statute doesn't matter. 855 is considered armor piercing under subsection (i) of the statute that prohibits any ammo that MAY be used in a pistol from containing a core ENTIRELY made of steel (or other metals). And clearly 855 is not, so they are certainly willing to twist the statute for their purposes.

But to answer your question from a normal reading of the statute, (ii) prohibits all ammo that will pierce soft armor if that ammo is specifically designed for pistols. .223/5.56 are certainly not that. So we must again revert to subsection (i). And most .223/5.56 ammo does not have a core of any of the metals listed (an all lead bullet designed for a rifle can never be armor piercing under subsection (i)).
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
They have said March 16th, even if its later than that date it will get more expensive and hard to find as time goes on and we get closer to the actual date. The people panicing are doing so for good reason, those who acted quickly got m855 it for decent prices, i picked all of mine up within 48 hrs of it beign announced and i didnt pay more than $0.40 a round and my ave was $0.36 a round, even if the ban never happens thats still dirt cheap ammo ill just use for plinking or the next AWB scare comes around ill see it for $1+ a round and make a massive profit, heck i can still sell it locally for what i paid with no difficult and be out no cash. Its really a win/break even for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the amazing part - We are now referring to 30-40 cents per round as "dirt cheap plinking ammo."
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Knowing Obama, he will make it retroactive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Knowing Obama, he will make it retroactive.
View Quote

I don't think you understand what is happening here. This isn't some new law that ban mere ownership of the ammo. It is a removal of an exemption (not that I think it ever needed an exemption if you actually read the law) by the BATFE that eliminates the supply chain. There is no proposed law that makes possession of it illegal that retroactivity can even apply. It just means it will no longer be able to be imported, manufactured, or sold by FFL dealers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#21]
March 16th will not be the date.  That is the date they close the comment period.  They must then vet the valid comments and respond.  Once they have done that I would guess 60 days to 6 months to allow suppliers to sell their remaining stock.

In reality suppliers will be sold out long before and manufacturers will not be making more than what their current supply of m855/and ss109 pills are now or to shortly be delivered.  No one wants to have a million m855 bullets that they can't sell.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
March 16th will not be the date.  That is the date they close the comment period.  They must then vet the valid comments and respond.  Once they have done that I would guess 60 days to 6 months to allow suppliers to sell their remaining stock.

In reality suppliers will be sold out long before and manufacturers will not be making more than what their current supply of m855/and ss109 pills are now or to shortly be delivered.  No one wants to have a million m855 bullets that they can't sell.

View Quote

I'm sure DHS will pick up the slack and increase their orders  

....actually, now that I think about it - is there a provision for Domestic Law Enforcement to be exempted? Or, are they also covered under the same exemption which covers the rest of us, presently?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]
They will make it a retro active law in which any M855 bought before October Seventh, nineteen eighty seven will be banned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
IT WILL BE RETROSPECTIVE TO LAST WEEK!!!!  HOLY OMGWTFBBQ ITS TIME TO PANIC AND BUY EVERYTHING AND BACKDATE YOUR RECEIPTS!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#25]
when will we have to turn it in?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Who do they have to agree with?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I would love to see ammo makers create millions of rounds that they sell at cost.   Flood the USA with billions of rounds of XM855.

Law of unintended consequences ATF.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would love to see ammo makers create millions of rounds that they sell at cost.   Flood the USA with billions of rounds of XM855.

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately - I think they are keeping their eye on those Federal contracts and this move would not be in their best interest.

I'm also wondering where they are going to make up the X-percentage of revenue, they will be losing because of the elimination of this revenue channel. More XM193 or higher prices on regular output of 193?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Doh. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#31]
(tin foil on) What if the ammo makers are in bed with the ATF to drive up prices on one of the most popular AR rounds. (tin foil off)

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#32]
When will the magnet wielding gestspo knock down my door to check my ammo?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

March 16
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck the ATF in it's shit-stained, leaky asshole.

The entire agency should be banned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm gonna grow a badasss neckbeard ricki fuckin tic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
if its a year out.. i could see zqi, pmc,  imi , etc, and EVERYONE, who makes, or has stock to sell.. making the fuck out of it, to get it into the country ASAP..... no way neckbeards could buy it all.... if retailers can sell whats in their inventories, thats in their inventories on the date.....and not stuck with it, can still sell it..... just not manufacture or import after a certain date. i could see it selling for normal prices... as enormous amounts are rooted from other countries interested in making some last money before it shuts off... emptying depots, factories, etc,  and shipped here.. could still be selling for months or years after that date.... like preban mags after clintons assault weapon bullshit. still buying new magazines 10 years later due to everything manufactured by the ton.

how much and how cheap , and what retailers buy, depends on the atf's rules they " make up".
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a bright side to this.

5 years from now, the indoor range I shoot at won't have to check my 223 ammo with a magnet anymore.    
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

....actually, now that I think about it - is there a provision for Domestic Law Enforcement to be exempted? Or, are they also covered under the same exemption which covers the rest of us, presently?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't use that shit.  It has no use in LE. Not even at the range. We use a Gold Dot 55 or 64 (?) gr. SP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]
It's a rule change. It would take effect upon being posted to the Federal Register as a Final Rule.

In other words, once the comment period is over they can go live whenever they feel like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#40]
i'm gonna go ahead and guess that bi-metal jacketed projectiles will be next.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

if it takes a year or two, why panic now?
View Quote
RIF.

Next month.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#42]
if atf goes after bullets with jackets over 25% weight, or bullets made from anything but lead mostly..( barnes solid copper)...... and epa goes after lead ammo, ( to save bald eagles and wombats) mandating no lead, requiring copper bullets, or other metal.... that could cause a big mess while it drags thru courts, or thru congresses dysfunctional bullshit system to be fixed... or not...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
if atf goes after bullets with jackets over 25% weight, or bullets made from anything but lead mostly..( barnes solid copper)...... and epa goes after lead ammo, ( to save bald eagles and wombats) mandating no lead, requiring copper bullets, or other metal.... that could cause a big mess while it drags thru courts, or thru congresses dysfunctional bullshit system to be fixed... or not...
View Quote

If BATFE goes after non-lead bullets and then EPA goes after lead bullets it is very likely it won't end well.

It wouldn't be the black rifle crowd they'd need to worry about. The Fudd's would mobilize like the ents.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I hope it's soon so these threads will stop.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#45]
They better bring some friends

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Retroactively, effective 10 years ago.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have had the law stop me in the field and ask me to produce shotgun shells which were then checked with a magnet.

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe we put a foot up their ass, and it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think removing the large objects that are lodged up their asses would be more productive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the way you think.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top