Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And my 63 for good measure and comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/2iPXEa5.jpg

View Quote

Still rockin' the MEL motor?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Too good to be true.

Ford isn't that smart
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It even brings back the "suicide doors"!

Loved the old Lincolns. My folks had a '72 Town Car. A local mechanic "de-smogged" the engine. That sucker would roll, and got relatively good gas mileage.

It was like this one, except it had a dark blue vinyl roof.

Unfortunately, when she and Dad became unable to drive, they refused to sell it and it sat under the carport and deteriorated. After she died, we sold it for $500. My brother and I had tears in our eyes when they put it on the roll-back and hauled it away. The fellow who restored it did very well selling it to a.... well, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread needs more of Dax Shepard's Continental  Skip to 1:30 if you want.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The Ghetto Goblins will go crazy for this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

MEH! x 1000

A new 56 - 57 mark II would be waaaaaaay better
View Quote
Absolutely!

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Das wassup, homie!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sometimes you got to go back… to actually move forward, and I don’t mean going back to reminisce, or chase ghosts, I mean going back to see where you came from, where you've been, how you got here and see where you’re going.  I know there are those that say you can’t go back.  Yes, you can.  You just have to look in the right place.
View Quote

Perfect screen name for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
This-

Quoted:
That's a really old concept drawing, like the Bronco one that floats around.

You may notice the roof in that image is a crown vic roof photoshopped on a photoshop modified 62 body
View Quote

You would think that a decade of continued interest in those concept drawings would be a clue for Ford.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Hate the front end.  Those headlights SCREAM ford mustang.  Those need to go ASAP.  The rest is badass
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Fascinating.  I'd wonder if the Feds would allow suicide doors in this day and age.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Ghetto Goblins will go crazy for this.
View Quote
Spinning rims and Skittles decals plastered all over it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]
This is probably what's going to be the case

Rendering....

Before Kumar Galhotra was appointed the new prez of the Lincoln
brand, Ford CEO Mark Fields and his trusted marketing head Jim Farley
lobbied in front of the board of directors to pump money in the Lincoln
marque. Without the influence of these two, Ford’s most luxurious
automotive brand would’ve followed Mercury into the grave by the end of
this decade.
More financial resources, better management and a certain Hollywood star
(Matthew Mcconaughey) led to improving sales volumes, especially in
China. The other vital element in Lincoln’s rejuvenation comes in the
form of all-new models. With the exception of the MKT and MKS, the model
lineup consists of all-new offerings such as the MKC, MKZ, MKX and the
2015 model year Navigator. But more are to come, including an all-new
Aviator according to this mark.
After discovering the Aviator mark in the Patent and Trademark Office
database, we reached out to an older source inside FoMoCo regarding the
company’s position on whether the Lincoln
Aviator will really come back from the dead, based on the new D6
platform. Our source couldn't tell us straightforward if this will
surely come to fruition but we did get a 50-50 chance "no comment, but
prepare to be taken by surprise.”
We didn’t forget to also ask about what’s in store for the New York Auto
Show in April. After the 2015 Ford Edge-based MKX got its 15 minutes of
fame at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month, we have learned that
"an all-new large sedan” will debut at NY, underpinned by an
architecture that "won’t be FWD.”
Ring ring, we have a winner - it’s the 2016 Lincoln MKS sedan without any shadow of doubt.
Further details haven’t been shared, but from what we’ve learnt, we can
tell the following: the rumored Continental nameplate may not return
with this all-new MKS (sorry Neil Young and Pono Music), the mysterious
D6/CD6 rear and all-wheel drive platform is highly probable to debut on
this full-size sedan. Our hunch is that the MKS' sister model Ford
Taurus will also adopt this skeleton for the 2016 model year.
In addition to these presumptions, a numer of reports hint towards an
all-new 2.9-liter EcoBoost V6 engine codenamed Nano that will replace
the 3.7 Ti-VCT. If we’re lucky, a detuned version of the 2017 Ford F-150
SVT Raptor’s all-new 3.5 EcoBoost V6 motor and its 10-speed automatic
transmission will also be offered with the 2016 Lincoln MKS sedan, which is expected to hit North American showrooms late this year.
http://m.autoevolution.com/exclusive-2016-lincoln-mks-confirmed-for-new-york-auto-show-debut-91495.html

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#17]
It's got style, I'll give it that. I hope it gets made, along with a 2 door Dodge Charger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's no way with all the .gov regs concerning pedestrian strikes are they gonna let them have that front end.
View Quote

This is what I am thinking.

I'd love to see the straight body lines make a comeback though, especially if it paves the way for a proper looking GN and Monte Carlo. But it won't, and we are almost cetainly stuck with bubbly half-assed retro named junk.

Also, Lincoln's current advertising makes me want to punch Matthew McConaughey in the face.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is probably what's going to be the case

Rendering....

View Quote

I guess it makes sense that Lincoln would essentially build this-

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the concept in the OP, but I don't get excited about concept cars. Way too many examples of cool concepts that are never launched or fail in execution if ever built. As previously mentioned vaporware like the Bronco, or full fails like the Five Hundred, what's floated as a possibility is so far from delivery it's like the motor industry gives us the middle finger just for fun.

Remember the Volt concept? The discussion on arfcom made national news because of our look into electric power needs. Then the car was made and it looked NOTHING like the concept.

I like the picture in the OP, but given Ford's proclivity for AWD, Lincoln's design team apparently addicted to Quaaludes, and Lincoln's marketing department hung up on unimaginative branding ("Mk" all the things), I hold no hope for this.

And as already pointed out, Ford isn't smart enough to do this. As it stands, Lincoln builds forgettable cars that depreciate faster than a newspaper. Cadillac is running away with the market. This would be a viable option for those of us that refuse to buy GM.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm sick of the big ghetto rims on every car.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

As am I.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
It just needs some spinners and it's gtg for cruising to a Lakers game.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd love to see the straight body lines make a comeback though, especially if it paves the way for a proper looking GN and Monte Carlo. But it won't, and we are almost cetainly stuck with bubbly half-assed retro named junk.

Also, Lincoln's current advertising makes me want to punch Matthew McConaughey in the face.

http://youtu.be/KtTcg3sj-wA

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's no way with all the .gov regs concerning pedestrian strikes are they gonna let them have that front end.

I like those commercials. They started airing just when I finished True Detectives, so perfect timing...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Months back it was mentioned on a Mustang forum that Lincoln is borrowing the new Mustang chassis, adding a few inches and making a 4 door Lincoln around 2017.  Options will be the 5.0 and Ecoboost engines. No manual trans though.
Supposedly this info came from an insider at Ford.  But I'm anxiously awaiting to see this one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#28]
It does look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I just got a warm and fuzzy feeling inside
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Suicide doors on a modern production sedan? I doubt it. Otherwise I think it is a very cool retro design. Any specs for weight or horsepower?

A friend had a 61 or 62 Continental convertible with the 500cid motor. Not a show car but very cool to drive. A couple pistons decided to upgrade the motor on the interstate and installed windows in the block. Fuckin mess, he sold it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like those commercials. They started airing just when I finished True Detectives, so perfect timing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I was watching an episode of Better Call Saul on the AMC website, and Lincoln was their only advertiser. So every time it cut to commercial, it played the above ad again and again. After about the 10th time, it just started to sound preachy and condescending

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think I was watching an episode of Better Call Saul on the AMC website, and Lincoln was their only advertiser. So every time it cut to commercial, it played the above ad again and again. After about the 10th time, it just started to sound preachy and condescending

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audience demographics?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks very gangsta
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood. I get the same when watching Walking Dead; the same damned 7 commercials in a row again and again...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I like it . . . I had a 1968 Mark III a long time ago, but I always wanted a Continental with the suicide doors.

dp
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#36]
... I'd so rock that ride!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Audience demographics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audience demographics?

LOL. Maybe, especially since they don't make Caddys like this anymore.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/Q-scbfa8vyg

http://youtu.be/SRY517kFgcQ

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I currently drive a panther body and love the lineage.

If they go slab side and suicide doors, I'm getting one.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Will not have suicide doors.

Will not be that big because it won't meet CAFE standards, will not be a body on frame and will not be rear wheel drive.

Other than that..........2016 Lincoln will have a Continental model.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Right? Throw some 15's and some whitewalls on and I'd rock it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cadillac pretty much beat Lincoln into the fucking dirt with the CTS-V...

Now Lincoln's trying to be the poor man's Bentley?
View Quote

Well a Bentley is a poor mans Rolls. All relative my friend. I say go Lincoln.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Just put that on top of my must have, can't afford list.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's how this goes down:

Enthusiasts, bloggers, guys on Jalopnik, magazine writers, etc sing it's praises. "Ford MUST do this! It's the only way to save Lincoln!"
Ford listens and actually makes the damned thing
None of the enthusiasts, bloggers, guys on Jalopnik, magazine writers, etc actually buy the damned thing.
Ford discounts the shit out of it, in a last ditch effort to move some inventory.
Rental agencies and "people of color" with shitty credit buy them in droves, with questionable financing.
Jack Baruth picks one up 10 years from now with 200k on the clock and writes a cool article about it.
Lincoln no longer exists as a car company.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No shit, if it looks like that, and is a rear wheel drive v-8, I'm buying one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
im a big fan of the slabside Continentals, especially the sedans.  I have a '63 that I'm quite fond of.  So I saw there was potentially going to be a slabside type model for 2016, and was pretty disappointed, thinking it would just end up looking like an abortion like most of the 'retro' styled cars nowadays do.  I'm sure a lot of you will think it still does, but I gotta say, I really really fucking dig this thing.

My truck is past her prime, and I've been easing myself into the thought of buying a new car in the next few years. I'd keep the truck, but was thinking of a 4Runner or something without a bed for the daily driver.

If the Continental actually ends up looking like this... I think I just found my future new car.  I really really like it.  The slabs are there but not overdone, the peak/crown trim is very similar to the old slabsides, and the front end just looks beautiful.  Here's a couple pics I found of the rumored new Continental.

http://i.imgur.com/6zUAfrq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CtNe773.jpg

No shit, if it looks like that, and is a rear wheel drive v-8, I'm buying one.

RWD V8 luxury cars are the shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Good Lord!

That would sell
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here's how this goes down:

Enthusiasts, bloggers, guys on Jalopnik, magazine writers, etc sing it's praises. "Ford MUST do this! It's the only way to save Lincoln!"
Ford listens and actually makes the damned thing
None of the enthusiasts, bloggers, guys on Jalopnik, magazine writers, etc actually buy the damned thing.
Ford discounts the shit out of it, in a last ditch effort to move some inventory.
Rental agencies and "people of color" with shitty credit buy them in droves, with questionable financing.
Jack Baruth picks one up 10 years from now with 200k on the clock and writes a cool article about it.
Lincoln no longer exists as a car company.

View Quote

In some cases, you're right, but in this case, FoMoCo should and would rely on limo and livery businesses for volume.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

im a big fan of the slabside Continentals, especially the sedans.  I have a '63 that I'm quite fond of.  So I saw there was potentially going to be a slabside type model for 2016, and was pretty disappointed, thinking it would just end up looking like an abortion like most of the 'retro' styled cars nowadays do.  I'm sure a lot of you will think it still does, but I gotta say, I really really fucking dig this thing.

My truck is past her prime, and I've been easing myself into the thought of buying a new car in the next few years. I'd keep the truck, but was thinking of a 4Runner or something without a bed for the daily driver.

If the Continental actually ends up looking like this... I think I just found my future new car.  I really really like it.  The slabs are there but not overdone, the peak/crown trim is very similar to the old slabsides, and the front end just looks beautiful.  Here's a couple pics I found of the rumored new Continental.

http://i.imgur.com/6zUAfrq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CtNe773.jpg
View Quote
COOL! They even brought back the suicide doors. I had a '63. It was a great car.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, there's another movie I'm gonna need to see.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top