Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:43:27 PM EDT
Tonight I try stream a movie from amazon and it won't play in HD I unplug my modem a couple times, still no go.

I do a speed test and get 3-4Mb/s I am paying for 50. I go on Comcast chat and they send my modem new data (whatever that means) and reset my account on their end.

So now I am peaking around 20Mb/s It all sounds like a bunch of BS to me and still I should be getting twice that. I ask what is going on here he says they are not authorized to throttle and the problem is with my (not even 2 year old) modem then gives me this line.
"It is normal for an electronic device like a router or modem to wear out after 2 years since it's continuousy used and accumulates static. The functionality is at peak within 1-2 years and declines after that."
View Quote

Now this really sounds like bull shit to me. Fuck Comcast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one smoked overnight one time while I was at work. Lucky it didn't burn my place down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
ISPs throttle streaming video (Amazon and Netflix), no matter what they claim.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tonight I try stream a movie from amazon and it won't play in HD I unplug my modem a couple times, still no go.

I do a speed test and get 3-4Mb/s I am paying for 50. I go on Comcast chat and they send my modem new data (whatever that means) and reset my account on their end.

So now I am peaking around 20Mb/s It all sounds like a bunch of BS to me and still I should be getting twice that. I ask what is going on here he says they are not authorized to throttle and the problem is with my (not even 2 year old) modem then gives me this line.
"It is normal for an electronic device like a router or modem to wear out after 2 years since it's continuousy used and accumulates static. The functionality is at peak within 1-2 years and declines after that."
View Quote

View Quote

I've never heard that line of BS before, it sure sounds suspect.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Routers are only good for a few years,then they degrade slowly over time.
I have had to replace a few over the years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a cable box and my modem both die at the same time, not sure which one fried the other.   New modem does blow the seven year old one away.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

No more than routers and TVs.  They don't wear out but they can have malfunctions and stop working.  Or they can run forever.  It's a stats game.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a docsis 3.0 or maybe 3.1 modem, connect your pc directly behind it... and then do a speed test. I was getting ~125 down and 45 25 up with a brand new 3.0 modem. When I put my Netgear in place and leptop behind that, I get ~50 down and ~25 up.

Oh, and now that Comcast knows the mac address for your modem, they'll start enforcing the 300GB/month on you. It's only $10 for every 50GB over.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Routers can and do crap out over time.

However, something else is amiss and if your speed tests blow then you have another issue.

Is this a new issue, or has all been well up until tonite? Is this an intermittent issue or brand new?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Huh.
I use Suddenlink and last week when I went in to pay my bill they handed me a new modem.
Instant free upgrade from 15Meg to 50.  I like it.

I have seriously never heard of routers wearing out, and if they did, I would think it would be from heat stress rather than "static"?
But I don't know.  I think mine is a Cisco Linksys and seems to be holding up well after 4 years or so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I can't explain it since it's an electronic / digital device. Definitely the case for home-grade equipment -- specifically CABLE MODEMS -- heard of it and experienced it several times.

Now, work gear, Cisco, Juniper, etc obviously don't have this problem as you see some stuff run for years and years.

OP, buy a new one from Comcast (or on your own from Walmart or Amazon, whatever) and see if it makes a difference. Return it if there is no improvement and the problem remains.

ETA: since switching from Cox cable and then Comcast cable, I now have had non-cable Verizon FiOS for years and have never had any such problems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of cable modems do not have very good heat management. Cable modems tend to burn out rather than wear out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Huh.
I use Suddenlink and last week when I went in to pay my bill they handed me a new modem.
Instant free upgrade from 15Meg to 50.  I like it.

I have seriously never heard of routers wearing out, and if they did, I would think it would be from heat stress rather than "static"?
But I don't know.  I think mine is a Cisco Linksys and seems to be holding up well after 4 years or so.
View Quote

They definitely do wear out, like any piece of electronics. Consumer electronics aren't meant to last forever. Kinda like light bulbs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View Quote

Now this I believe.

I have used 85gigs this month.

Last month was 232 apparently

I primarily watch Netflix and Amazon, I have only basic cable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No more than routers and TVs.  They don't wear out but they can have malfunctions and stop working.  Or they can run forever.  It's a stats game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This I believe too. It works or it doesn't. Not sure how it could slow down the speed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one go bad but not slow down
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Routers can and do crap out over time.

However, something else is amiss and if your speed tests blow then you have another issue.

Is this a new issue, or has all been well up until tonite? Is this an intermittent issue or brand new?
View Quote

Sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset the router but speed has been sufficient. But for all I know they could have been slowly lowering it till it caused me problems.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Its the shitty Chinese capacitors.  I really think that the have developed an electrolyte that acts as a chemical time delay fuse. The capacitors last just long enough for the warranty to expire.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You have to put more speed juice in it.  It ran out.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
All of that home networking gear fails a lot.  Cable modems, wifi gadgets, switches, all of it.  That's why I always recommend people spend as little as possible on the stuff.  Get what you need and not a bit more, and don't fall in love with it.  If it's mission critical keep spares or workarounds.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All of that home networking gear fails a lot.  Cable modems, wifi gadgets, switches, all of it.  That's why I always recommend people spend as little as possible on the stuff.  Get what you need and not a bit more, and don't fall in love with it.  If it's mission critical keep spares or workarounds.
View Quote

I agree that it fails, but I think the "it gets slower over time, trust me and get off the phone" bullshit is just that.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I go through DSL "Routers" and Cisco ADSL Wics like pringles
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#23]
They do wear out, parts start failing
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This I believe too. It works or it doesn't. Not sure how it could slow down the speed.
View Quote

As the components develop issues (usually bad voltage regulation from failing capacitors), the modem has to keep re-requesting data from the host because the receiving end is introducing corruption. This slows down overall throughput. The speed of the bits flying back and forth doesn't decrease, but the usable ones get fewer and farther between. The signal-to-noise ratio starts to tilt in favor of the noise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I agree that it fails, but I think the "it gets slower over time, trust me and get off the phone" bullshit is just that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Having made a brief stop in ISP customer service though, I can definitively say they don't put many geniuses on chat.  Sunday.  

There's probably chickens in the room with the guy he's typing to.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It does sound like a BS comment the outsourced Comcast customer support would use to get you off the phone.  I recommend going to www.dslreports.com and post your problem in the Comcast forum.  There's a FAQ on there about what info is needed for the other users to help you out.  (make, model, signal levels, subscribed service level, etc.)  They are usually a very good source to help.  Keep in mind that these are fellow users, not Comcast employees.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's probably chickens in the room with the guy he's typing to.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
sounds like BS. What modem do you have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#29]
years ago I had problems with mine.  The tech showed up and said I've seen this 3 times today.  It's your modem.  Turns out TWC made some network changes that made their system incompatible with certain firmware modems.  Neither TWC or motorola would fess up but the tech was pretty honest that they had been doing some upgrades.  

Ask for level 2 support, it could be a network issue. It happens other than that do what one of the other posters said try a new modem
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you smoke?

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Do cable modems wear out?  I think so.

For the last two months, my downloading was getting real slow, then locking up.

I was going to buy a new computer. Then, I got my bill and found out the charge for the rental on my modem from the cable company was going up by 20%!

At that point, I decided to buy my own. In a year I would save what I would spend renting one from the cable company.

Installed the new modem, and it fixed by problems. I don't need a new computer, now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Motorola SBG6580 that I purchased, not renting.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do you smoke?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

especially ones that are also cable tv companies since streaming is direct competition to their video offerings
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#36]
All electronics wear out.  Usually it's an over heating problem caused by a design error, but just the friction of the electrons moving thru the electronics wears them out.

Also, the can capacitors tend to leak over time.

Over voltages can burn things out too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Everything dies.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
but just the friction of the electrons moving thru the electronics wears them out
View Quote

yep that's why power lines have to be replaced every couple years
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a service provider issue, that modem can handle more

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes, they go bad. All electronics go bad. Time to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same modem. Contact Motorola support. Since you own it, the provider is limited on the shit they can do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Delivery of HSI is a complex undertaking. One or more of a combination of issues could be the explanation for your slow speeds. Never mind talk of speed throttling. That said, there have been two or three intelligent replies to your specific question of CM lifespan, specifically those that remarked about inferior capacitors and heat management. Yet overall, keep in mind that the gateway (combo modem/wifi router) is but one piece of a complex system that spans from the ISP to the interior of your home that must operate effectively and efficiency for the delivery of fast internet.  

Suggestions:

Call up Comcast and have them look at the boot file for that 6580. More than likely you'll be kicked up to level II tech support for help. Ask them to verify that the file is appropriate for the service tier to which you subscribe. Then ask for the date that the present firmware was pushed to the GW. Does that coincide with a loss of speed by any chance?

Next, use WiFi analyzer to take a snap shot of wifi signals from nearby homes that are within reception range from the interior of your home. Any of them operating on the same channel (frequency) as your wireless network? If the RSSI of those transceivers are -65 < x < -35 there's a good chance that your wireless devices are suffering from signal degradation/interference.

Lastly ascertain the SNR reading of your downstream and upstream carrier signals by logging onto the console of the 6580. The DS SNR shuld be at least 35 dB and US SNR 32-33. Signal to noise ratios that are lower will certainly interfere with throughput. Those indicate wiring issues that cannot be isolated to within or outside the house without a qualified person with test equipment to make that determination.

HTH.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted: The DS SNR shuld be at least 35 dB and US SNR 32-33. Signal to noise ratios that are lower will certainly interfere with throughput. Those indicate wiring issues that cannot be isolated to within or outside the house without a qualified person with test equipment to make that determination.

HTH.
View Quote

The Upsteam signal that is most relevant is in the Power column on the Connection page. It needs to be between 30 and 55 dBmv on all 4 channels.

The Downstream has two columns which are important. The Powder needs to be between -12 and +12 dBmv on all 8 channels. The SNR needs to be higher than 35 dB.

Here is a screen cap of my modem's current setup. Note my upstream power is nearly out of spec, but still maintains good connection. If it goes any higher I'll need to amp the signal out.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There have been a number of complaints about that modem from users.  General consensus is to not use a combo unit, but to have separate modems and routers.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually due to cheap capacitors I can't count times I've repaced them in modems, routers pc and flat panels etc
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true, we still have 6509's in production
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#47]
The bearings wear out from spooling all that cable through them constantly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Didn't read the whole thread but two additional ideas to add to the mix:

1)  Is your modem DOCSIS 3.0?  If it's an older model at 2.0 then it won't be able to take advantage of the higher speeds currently offered by Comcast.  It's doubtful they would volunteer you a new one.  I went out and bought my own or you could do an equipment exchange with Comcast.

2)  What is your cabling situation in your house up to the pole?  When I moved in back in 2005, my cable internet was shoddy.  I had a guy out and run a new line from the pole and I redid most of the wiring in my house internally using the most current cable standard (can't remember which, google it) and used good splitters (and as few as possible) between the pole and my modem.  My connection has been like a rock ever since then.

If you have cable TV as well then I would make the FIRST split a 1 to 2 split that goes to your modem on one leg and then on the other leg to an additional splitter to all your TVs.  I would not want a 1:3 or greater split before the modem and I would not want any more than one split before the modem period if at all possible.  I want the cleanest most direct line possible to my modem with as few connections as possible.

I'm not an expert so anyone reading feel free to pick my logic apart and tell me I'm tarded.  I'm not married to it, but it worked like a charm for me.  I'm sure there are better ways of doing this but that's the "15 minutes at Home Depot" approach that worked for me.  

I get 60 mbps down from Comcast all day, every day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep, electronics do wear out.  You've got thermal fatigue, corrosion, manufacturing defects, shock from dropping/kicking/punching, electrical surges.  All sorts of stuff that can shorten the life of a product that begins to wear out as soon as you plug it in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have the same modem. Contact Motorola support. Since you own it, the provider is limited on the shit they can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that motorola does not release firmware updates to the general public only ISP's.  There are varying reports of whether ISP's will push out firmware updates to customer owned modems.  

That said I've had issues before with low speeds and after a tech visit, a higher level tech showed up at my door told me he had to fix something in a local box.  That neighborhood was interesting because most people were retired and didn't know how to spell internet, so my guess is I was the only one complaining.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top