User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 120
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My little note. Shot from the hip, not a lot of time. Anyway:

I have been a police officer for two decades. I’ve been a member of a special response/ entry team. I’ve been trained as a police armorer. I’ve been a crime scene investigator and I am trained to evaluate and process shooting scenes. I’ve been a competition shooter and handloader for almost 20 years. I have a unique perspective on the proposed ban on M855-type ammunition based on my training and experience. My occupation gives me the RIGHT to comment, since I am one of those it is claimed the ban will protect.

In order to understand what effect this ban will have on the safety of police, we must first understand the body armor that is commonly in use today, as well as the capabilities of the projectile in question. The most prevalent form of bullet-resistant vest in use today is NIJ level IIIa soft armor. This armor is designed to protect against pistol-calibre cartridges commonly encountered by police. Level IIIa armor is not designed to protect against ANY rifle-calibre rounds. Any conventional lead-cored rifle projectile will penetrate level IIIa body armor. It makes ABSOLUTELY no difference if an officer is shot with an M855-type projectile or a lead-core projectile. Both will penetrate the front and back armor panels. It is also generally accepted that the lead-cored M193-type projectile has measurably greater penetration at close range than the M855 projectile due to higher velocity. Given this, the statement that the banning of M855 ammunition is in the interest of law enforcement safety is simply untrue.

Next, we must look at the projectile itself –does it meet the definition of “armor piercing” as found in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B):
(B)  The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—  
(i)  a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium; or  
(ii)  a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
The M855/SS109 projectile core is made up of two parts, a small steel cap at the tip of the projectile and a substantially larger lead portion. This core is enclosed by a guilding metal jacket. The question is if this construction fits within either definition, and it does not. The core of the M855/SS109 is substantially lead, with only a small portion being steel. The core is NOT entirely made up of steel (or any of the other proscribed metals). The M855/SS109 projectile is, in fact, a .22 calibre bullet (equal in diameter to a .22lr projectile), but was never designed or intended for use in handguns and has a jacket substantially lighter than 25% of projectile weight. BATFE agrees that section ii is not at issue, and relies on an improper and incomplete interpretation of section i to support banning the ammunition. Further, BATFE consistently relies on a flawed interpretation of “sporting purposes” that we have seen twisted and bent to further political agendas.

How does banning M855-type ammunition affect the public and the industry? M855-type ammunition is generally used for practice and competition, as well as self-defense. M855-type ammunition is produced on the same machinery and uses the same components as military ammunition, so the shooting public benefits from “production inertia”, reducing the cost of ammunition for public consumption. Lower production costs means increased profitability for the industry.
Again, I wish to point out that the banning of M855-type ammunition will have NO EFFECT on officer safety. To claim otherwise is to lie. NO rifle cartridge fired from a pistol can be stopped by protective vests in common use by law enforcement. Projectile construction is irrelevant regarding rifle cartridges. The M855 does NOT meet the definition BATFE is attempting to use in support of a ban. The definition of “sporting purposes” used by BATFE is fatally flawed by political sophistry. To ban M855 will result in unnecessary litigation and hostility towards law enforcement by the general public. You will be CREATING a hostile environment for police for NO actual gain. This is a mistake to even consider.

EDIT: I'm also forwarding this to ol' Joe Wilson and a number of others. Have we thought of possibly threatening a 1983 action against BATFE agents involved in the creation and implementation of this nonsense? Would be a GREAT thing to do to hold the individuals responsible for their stupidity.
View Quote

Excellent.

And yes, I have thought that they are treading closely to conspiracy to violate 1983, but I don't think threatening one is the way to go.  If someone could be found to have standing, they should just file one and let the conspirators find out when they're served.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The 223 chamber is slightly smaller its a tighter shoulder/neck area, the 556 is made to looser tolerances so they can run up tight in the 223 chamber

that coupled with slightly higher pressures can lead to overpressure problems as we3ll as the mentioned difficult extractions, 223 Wilde is a longer

chamber and is generally considered safe for 5.56.
View Quote
mmmmmmm....NO... not a single thing you said is true.....

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Last panic I would have agreed, but this isn't like the last panic that was supply vs demand. This panic is buy it before it's gone for good. Only to surface here and there for much more than .50 a round.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LC M855 in ammo cans, on stripper clips, in stock here, but it's $0.50/round.

http://awbprepper.com/federal-xm855lcac1-556nato-62gr-420-can.html

Stupid.

Highest I paid was $420 for 1200 LCM855

Agree, I won't pay over $0.40/round, panic or not.

Last panic I would have agreed, but this isn't like the last panic that was supply vs demand. This panic is buy it before it's gone for good. Only to surface here and there for much more than .50 a round.

It's a fucking shitty round.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way of finding out if any police officers in the US has been shot with green tip during the commission of a crime? If so how many , when etc.?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there any way of finding out if any police officers in the US has been shot with green tip during the commission of a crime? If so how many , when etc.?
View Quote

ATF doesn't care.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
OK now that I have ordered my share of battle-packs, I will share this.

PMC 55gr 3200fps, in 200 round sealed battle packs, works out to $0.34/round including shipping. Good for those SHTF stashes, bugout bags etc.  40 battlepacks left in stock at this posting.

https://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/.223-ammo/pmc-223-55gr-fmj-bt.-200rd-battle-pack-223a/27-822

put in Coupon Code LIKE3 for 3% off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet its 0
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
.223 Remington 62gr SS109 NATO Full Metal Jacket

Georgia Arms

1000 rounds in ammo can for $400.00

40 cents per round (before shipping).

http://www.georgia-arms.com/223-remington-62gr-ss109-nato-full-metal-jacket/
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I wanted to be able to sell my green tip off and rotate in to m193, but guys are neckbearding that too? Shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was on ammo seek a moment ago the price per round was saddening

.50 .51 .57 .65 .68 cents and that was just M193

I didnt even wanna You won't see M855/XM855/SS109

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A website i purchased from yesterday had a live inventory tracker, you could see the cans drop from 1,500 to zero in a matter of a few hours.  The cans were discounted if you purchased 10 or more.

Anyways, as I'm always entertained by the little things I keep hitting refresh, to see what people are ordering and at what speed.

During this time an order of 500 cans dropped off the radar... that is $80k in 420rnd cans.    Some people I guess are rich neckbeards
Or the company pulled 500 cans to sell later this week for 75 cents a round....I refuse to pay over 50 cents a round for 223/556.    

I was on ammo seek a moment ago the price per round was saddening

.50 .51 .57 .65 .68 cents and that was just M193

I didnt even wanna You won't see M855/XM855/SS109

FIXT.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Gotta hit the "Show All" button to see past the steel cased stuff. .223/5.56 Full List
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL.

Can you CTD haters try any harder... other places have RAISED their M855 prices... what has CTD done? They sold 1000 cases yesterday and another 300-400 today at normal pricing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CTD just cancelled my PP order from earlier tonight

Not laughing at you, laughing at ctd being ctd.

LOL.

Can you CTD haters try any harder... other places have RAISED their M855 prices... what has CTD done? They sold 1000 cases yesterday and another 300-400 today at normal pricing.

They are probably still feeling guilty over selling PMAGs for $90/each during the post Sandy Hook panic and this is their way to make it up to AR enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]
If/when this goes into effect I wonder if the ATF will give warning, for example say the sale/manufacture of M855 must stop by this date. Otherwise I see lots of places being stuck with product they can't sell.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If/when this goes into effect I wonder if the ATF will give warning, for example say the sale/manufacture of M855 must stop by this date. Otherwise I see lots of places being stuck with product they can't sell.
View Quote

By then there will be nothing left to sell!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why are all types of 223 and 556 selling out?
View Quote

Supply and demand:  with M855 unavailable, sooner or later demand will shift to other types of 5.56...and apparently it was sooner rather than later.

I had slowed my 5.56 acquisition over the past several months in favor of other calibers; if/when the price on "alternate" 5.56 stabilizes I'm going back into acquisition mode whether it's steel, M193, 77gr OTM, whatever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure they have been in contact with the large manufacturers like Federal, or at least,I would hope they were.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wanted to be able to sell my green tip off and rotate in to m193, but guys are bare-necking that too? Shit.
View Quote

Fixed. It's been demonstrated that the clean shaven are the real people "neck bearding", hence your verbiage is void.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You should write a letter to the ATF asking for clarification !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wait a minute.......as broad as this ban's description is wouldn't this ban also affect barnes tsx type projectiles... they are a solid copper CORE round

You should write a letter to the ATF asking for clarification !

When I see this, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are probably still feeling guilty over selling PMAGs for $90/each during the post Sandy Hook panic and this is their way to make it up to AR enthusiasts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Why sell PMAGS for $10 when everyone else is selling them for $50-100?

You sell them for $10... the neckbeards will just buy them and sell them for $50-100

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 223 chamber is slightly smaller its a tighter shoulder/neck area, the 556 is made to looser tolerances so they can run up tight in the 223 chamber
that coupled with slightly higher pressures can lead to overpressure problems as we3ll as the mentioned difficult extractions, 223 Wilde is a longer

Oh really?

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You sell them for $10... the neckbeards will just buy them and sell them for $50-100

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Everyone else was not selling them for $50-100. Many entities (mostly private) yes, but definitely not all. AIM, Del-ton, Primary Arms, and JoeBobs were just a few vendors (there were many more) to keep their prices on PMAGs at a normal level ($15 each) during the entire panic.  

Why is CTD selling M855 for normal prices when the neckbeards will just buy it and sell it for double? Because CTD fucked their reputation up big-time last panic and they probably don't want to further tarnish their name. If anything, this has helped polish their image which is evidenced by your post that I quoted. Marketing at its finest.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure I'm not the only one praying that this current panic will take pressure off .22LR and let me get my mitts on some.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'm not the only one praying that this current panic will take pressure off .22LR and let me get my mitts on some.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

It has been over 2 years for me to get a single round at wallies all I had went out at cost to range use.
How do you say no to a dad with his kid. I couldn't and I had no idea the drought would last like it has Jeesh.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I meant designated I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just stop ar15 receivers from being registered as pistols? That seems easier and would generate more revenue due to anyone wanting a barrel under 16" would have to pay the $200 tax stamp. Personally I agree all gun regulations are bullshit. Be clear on that. My second question is will this eliminate 5.56 62 gn ammo all together or will you still have 5.56 62gn but it just can't have steel tip,ball or whatever?

What does "register as a pistol" mean? Ain't nobody knows what's in my safe but me.

I meant designated I guess.

All of those Sig braces gotta be goin' somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#26]
The day...the music...died...

RIP moderately priced, easy to get ammo.  

FBHO
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't understand why people are panic buying all the Wolf steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Kvar has ADI ss109 in stock, 900 round cans for under $500... was $250 in October for about twenty minutes, but if you need some ADI its the best deal right now.

ADI @ KVAR
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]
http://arfcomammo.azurewebsites.net/WM_ByStore.aspx

Use this. Enter your store numbers and check it every night before bed. If you see 22lr on the site that evening, go there early the next morning and wait in line for it with the neckbeards. If you really want 22lr from Walmart, that's how you get it.

Quoted:

Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Use this. Enter your store numbers and check it every night before bed. If you see 22lr on the site that evening, go there early the next morning and wait in line for it with the neckbeards. If you really want 22lr from Walmart, that's how you get it.

I would but it's 75 miles each way.. The wrong way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

I would but it's 75 miles each way.. The wrong way.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok I guess I could do this. I tried the link and it asks for a Login ID and password?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really?

I recommend you stay out of technical discussions in the future.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ok I guess I could do this. I tried the link and it asks for a Login ID and password?
View Quote

Google: arfcom walmart ammo app. The thread with the info should pop up.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fear
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fear

And maybe some confusing "steel case" with "steel core"?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fear

I think people are treating it like any other panic. Packing everything deep because folks got comfortable
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe somebody mentioned this already...

Maybe in my moment of clarity at this early hour...

Instead of banning M855 ammo for EVERYBODY, why not just make it illegal to shoot it through AR pistols?

Of course, it would be nearly impossible to enforce.

A person would have to do something really stupid to get caught.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Instead of banning M855 ammo for EVERYBODY, why not just make it illegal to shoot it through AR pistols?

View Quote

AFAIK, there is no legal basis the ATF could use to implement that.

With what they're doing now, there is at least a law on the books that they're attempting to build this "ban" on, no matter how wrong they may be in the way they're interpreting it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#39]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's not about banning the ammo is it?

You get rid of all of the ammo, you gun becomes worthless.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Heck, there's always Eric the Ammoman.  LOL.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT...someone will have ammo; the Feds, for example.  That is when WE raid their storage areas.  That is how wars are conducted.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#43]
It's gonna be interesting to see what our Congress critters do about all the emails, etc., they are getting on this.

Same for the ATF emails we are sending.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...

On another note supplies of M193 are drying up...reloading components are going to be next...

I am so fucking irritated over this situation it makes me sick to think about it..
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup...

On another note supplies of M193 are drying up...reloading components are going to be next...

I am so fucking irritated over this situation it makes me sick to think about it..
View Quote

The 'tards will never stop............it will be that way for the rest of your and my lives.

Just the way it is...........NO CONCESSIONS, NO COMPROMISE, and we NEVER STOP in our fight against the anti's.

Been this way all my life and I'm old.

The fact the ATF is being used as a pawn against us is disgusting but that is what they do historically..........that will never change unless Congress does something about it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL people panicking and buying up all the Wolf steel cased ammo too. Everyone needs to calm down.
http://sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/223-556mm
View Quote

Fuck that. I'm about to make a 200% profit on my ammo stash. Panic! Full steam ahead.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Was going to contact my congress critter today....can someone link to that thread that had samples of text to send them?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If overpriced you can keep it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
screw the neckbeards man i just put in a decent order for some over priced powered and i wont tell where, lol!

If overpriced you can keep it all.

well, after waiting 2 years for stock to come in and having a bunch of lonely lead, i dont  think things are going to get better anytime soon with this freak show so i bit the bullet so to speak.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Guys, I hate to break it to you but the ATF has already made up its mind.   The comments they are soliciting are:

"ATF is soliciting comments on the proposed framework from all interested parties. ATF specifically requests comments on how best to implement the withdrawal of the exemption for 5.56 mm ammunition to minimize disruption to the industry."

In other words, they are not asking for comments on the exemption, they are asking for comments on how to implement a repeal of the exemption.   We're going to have to get Congress involved in this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I wanted to be able to sell my green tip off and rotate in to m193, but guys are neckbearding that too? Shit.
View Quote
I guess that plan isn't going to work.  I was going to do the same

Page / 120
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top