Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be nice if this same ruling ended up applying to NFA transfers too. I.E. being able to buy NFA items outside your state of residence as long as you comply with the other laws.

Living right on the border of 2 states is a real pain in the ass since there are many nearby gun shops to include Class III right across the border that I can't buy certain things from.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A loss for gun owners at the 5th circuit means appeal to the SCOTUS. However the SCOTUS may elect not to hear the case thus letting the 5th circuit ruling stand.

In that event we would need a similar case in another federal circuit court to rule in favor to the gun owners thus creating a split between 2 different federal circuits. This type of split is hard for the SCOTUS to turn away as it pretty much has to resolve the conflict in the name of equal protection of the law. It's not grunted but it is very hard for the SCOTUS to ignore a split between circuit courts.
View Quote
Hasn't stopped SCOTUS from not hearing Shall Issue CCW cases.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If they appeal. As I understand it an appeal could go bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So ordering a pistol from AIM Surplus could be shipped to my door?
No it means people in wa state could go over to oregon and buy handguns at gun stores  

Nope, different district court.  It means that people from Mississippi or Louisiana can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.

It depends on what happens next.  

As applied challenge: As of right now, that FFL in Texas can sell a pistol to the residents of DC, and the DC residents can buy a pistol from that FFL.

Facial: All FFLs in Northern District of Texas can sell pistols to out of state residents and out of state residents can buy pistols from FFLs in Northern District of Texas.

it does NOT mean that anyone in any other district can buy or sell to nonresidents.

When the fifth circuit rules, that opinion will only be binding in the fifth circuit (LA, MS, TX) and no other circuit or district.

I would expect a stay of the decision pending appeal.

If they appeal. As I understand it an appeal could go bad.

Unless they want to get rid of the Interstate Handgun Ban nation wide, they have to appeal. If they decide not to appeal FFL around the nation will cry foul and want the same deal

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember, we lost Lane v Holder in VA which was an almost identical case in a different jurisdiction.
The government will certainly appeal this one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This would be kind of sweet. Except I'll be stopping in every gun store in another state now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Remember, we lost Lane v Holder in VA which was an almost identical case in a different jurisdiction.
The government will certainly appeal this one.

Kharn
View Quote

I certainly hope they appeal this one all the way to the USSC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This explains why I got a call yesterday from some crackpot telling my that he didn't need to have an FFL for us to ship him a receiver.

I told him I'd wait for the ATF to send me a memo about the rule change.

He got mad and hung up.
View Quote

WRITE A LETTER!!!!!  EVERYONE WRITE LETTERS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/256158942/Motion-for-60-Day-Stay

Government filed a Motion for a 60 Day Stay to determine whether they will appeal the judge's ruling
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Government filed a Motion for a 60 Day Stay to determine whether they will appeal the judge's ruling

Link appears to be broken . . .

The address is not valid

dp
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

dp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The address is not valid

dp

https://www.scribd.com/doc/256158942/Motion-for-60-Day-Stay fixed
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The address is not valid

dp

https://www.scribd.com/doc/256158942/Motion-for-60-Day-Stay fixed

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would be tickled pink to hear the motion was denied.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMFG - ATF got their peen slapped. Too funny! : Federal judge denies government stall in gun transfer case
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OMFG - ATF got their peen slapped.  Too funny! : Federal judge denies government stall in gun transfer case
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG - ATF got their peen slapped.  Too funny! : Federal judge denies government stall in gun transfer case
That article is written so badly.  Ha.  Good news though!

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OMFG - ATF got their peen slapped. Too funny! : Federal judge denies government stall in gun transfer case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
This case was cited in the Sur Reply granted in Hollis VS Holder!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
So when is FedGov's deadline to appeal?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy crap!

I think I heard the shock wave coming off of that bitch slap clear up here!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]
OK...

So I can now go to PA, and buy a handgun.

But how do I bring it back to NY without going through an FFL and getting it added to my pistol permit? That is the question for us poor idiots living in NY...

NY may have to start allowing people to buy a handgun out of state, drive it into NY themselves, and add it to their permits themselves with a gun store receipt listing make model caliber serial number etc....

Interestinggggg....

This may also force NY state to allow out of staters to buy handguns at NY gun stores...that is an even bigger kick in the nuts to NY state. HA!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK...

But how do I bring it back to NY without going through an FFL and getting it added to my pistol permit? That is the question for us poor idiots living in NY...

NY may have to start allowing people to buy a handgun out of state, drive it into NY themselves, and add it to their permits themselves with a gun store receipt listing make model caliber serial number etc....

Interestinggggg....

This may also force NY state to allow out of staters to buy handguns at NY gun stores...that is an even bigger kick in the nuts to NY state. HA!
View Quote

not the right district
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

not the right circut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...

Interestinggggg....

not the right circut

Not so sure about that...

A federal judge ruled that a FEDERAL law is unconstitutional.

This is not a federal circuit judge ruling that a STATE law is unconstitutional...This is a FEDERAL judge ruling that a FEDERAL law is a no go.

A federal law can't be unconstitutional in one circuit, and constitutional in another circuit. It isn't like two circuits disagreeing on a certain topic (shall issue, AWB laws etc.)

It is a nationwide, federal law, that applies to ALL states...It is either struck from federal law, or not. Period.

This is big...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OK...

View Quote

Nope, you can't.  The ruling only applies to the small district in TX, and only if the FFL in that district follows the laws in both states.  You're still hosed due to your state's law.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope, you can't.  The ruling only applies to the small district in TX, and only if the FFL in that district follows the laws in both states.  You're still hosed due to your state's law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...

Again...Not so sure about that...

This is not a federal circuit judge ruling that a STATE law is unconstitutional...This is a FEDERAL judge ruling that a FEDERAL law is a no go.

A federal law can't be unconstitutional in one circuit, and constitutional in another circuit. It isn't like two circuits disagreeing on a certain topic (specific state shall issue/may issue laws, state AWB laws etc.)

It is a nationwide, federal law, that applies to ALL states...It is either struck from federal law, or not. Period.

This is big...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A federal law can't be unconstitutional in one circuit, and constitutional in another circuit. It isn't like two circuits disagreeing on a certain topic (shall issue, AWB laws etc.)

This is big...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...

This is big...

His decision only applies to his jurisdiction.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...

A federal law can't be unconstitutional in one circuit, and constitutional in another circuit. It isn't like two circuits disagreeing on a certain topic (specific state shall issue/may issue laws, state AWB laws etc.)

This is big...

Can someone explain how a FEDERAL judge's decision on a FEDERAL law doesn't mean it is valid everywhere?

This isn't like the 9th circuit ruling against CA's MAY issue laws...that would NOT apply to NY...

But this is a federal judge and a federal law...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...

This is big...

SCOTUS would have to rule to slap the whole thing down I believe, but that doesn't mean that this ruling wont force other districts to go this route. I'd love to sue NYS over this shit, in addition to several other things, but alas I don't have the funds.

EDit: Dave, you may be right though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hate trying to read legal crap. This post pursuant to § 9990(b)(3)(6-2)(e=MC2) and 2732 C.F.R.D.G. § 47248.92349(a)(B00Bi3s) for the aforementioned motion by the pursuant body of the decree of the relevance to the gonad juice of the §8762387(a)(b)(Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra) for the §(68763.3298732.363) and §(192.168.152.44) and §(867-5309).

Every fucking law ever written should have a sentence at the top that says "This basically says blah blah blah"
View Quote

or you have to read it like a fortune cookie and end it with saying 'in bed'.  lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Can someone explain how a FEDERAL judge's decision on a FEDERAL law doesn't mean it is valid everywhere?

This isn't like the 9th circuit ruling against CA's MAY issue laws...that would NOT apply to NY...

But this is a federal judge and a federal law...
View Quote

Federal District Court decisions on the unconsitutionality of a Federal law are only valid in that district - it has to be ruled on by the Federal Circuit that Federal District is in before it becomes binding precedent in that Circuit (if it's upheld).

When two Federal Circuits rule differently on the same subject, then the SCOTUS may take up a case to deal with the split Circuits.

See US v. Rock Island Armory,Inc 773 F.Supp. 117 (Central District of IL, 1991) for an example. ETA:  DOJ never appealed it to the 7th US Circuit, so it is only binding precedent in the Federal Central District of IL.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#31]

On June 27, 2007, O'Connor was nominated by President George W. Bush.  Did Alan Gura work for the NRA-GOA endorsed Romney/Ryan Republican Party ticket in 2012?  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#32]
So as of right now, I can go to a neighboring state and buy a handgun?

What about for face to face sales?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So as of right now, I can go to a neighboring state and buy a handgun?

What about for face to face sales?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How far will this ruling go and how long will it take???
View Quote

not very far and a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How far will this ruling go and how long will it take???

I'll be watching and waiting.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top