Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see how it would be. Hopefully someone can educate me how it would. Cuz FUCK Bloomberg.

But, i594 restricts WA residents from selling/transferring a firearm to another resident without a background check being done by an FFL. This if upheld would allow me to buy a handgun in Oregon from an FFL, but it would still be illegal to sell it to a WA resident with out a BGC.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I understand correctly, Washington's retarded new law is in deep shit...

Nick

I don't see how it would be. Hopefully someone can educate me how it would. Cuz FUCK Bloomberg.

But, i594 restricts WA residents from selling/transferring a firearm to another resident without a background check being done by an FFL. This if upheld would allow me to buy a handgun in Oregon from an FFL, but it would still be illegal to sell it to a WA resident with out a BGC.

But let's say you went to your parents house for a while to take care of dad for some reason.  He lives one state away.  While you are there, you find a gun you really like.  It's not in current production but not a C&R (for instance, a pre-lock S&W 686).  This case says that you should be able to purchase that firearm, on the spot, so long as it is legal in your home state and you comply with the purchase requirements of your home state (FOID, B.G., etc).

Previously, you would have had to have had that gun bought there, then shipped to a FFL in your home state, where you would then have to drive back and retrieve, while paying yet another sum of money for the transfer.

Now, I realize that this means that any handgun purchased in accordance with this ruling is now a legal purchase...doesn't have to be just not in current production model stuff....but it kind of better outlines why it would be advantageous to want to purchase a particular item on the spot rather than go through a lot of hassle for something that might not mean that much to you (and therefore don't purchase, depriving the gun dealer of a sale, and yourself of the property you would have bought otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So does that mean I could legally go to Nevada get a California off-list pistol and bring it home?
View Quote

Is Nevada in the Federal judicial District of North Texas and would the purchase violate California law?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But let's say you went to your parents house for a while to take care of dad for some reason.  He lives one state away.  While you are there, you find a gun you really like.  It's not in current production but not a C&R (for instance, a pre-lock S&W 686).  This case says that you should be able to purchase that firearm, on the spot, so long as it is legal in your home state and you comply with the purchase requirements of your home state (FOID, B.G., etc).

Previously, you would have had to have had that gun bought there, then shipped to a FFL in your home state, where you would then have to drive back and retrieve, while paying yet another sum of money for the transfer.

Now, I realize that this means that any handgun purchased in accordance with this ruling is now a legal purchase...doesn't have to be just not in current production model stuff....but it kind of better outlines why it would be advantageous to want to purchase a particular item on the spot rather than go through a lot of hassle for something that might not mean that much to you (and therefore don't purchase, depriving the gun dealer of a sale, and yourself of the property you would have bought otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

Only in the Federal judicial District of North Texas.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Think this will be appealed or just let stand in the district it's in?
View Quote
They'll appeal. They play with our money, not theirs. Of course, they may be concerned about elevating it and losing across the country, not just the 5th circuit.

They may even get a stay.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it any wonder that all of MS Arfcommers have Nolo on speed dial?  

This is NOT my case!

Not my point. The point is, you keep up with this shit and and can go all quoting case law 'n precedent 'n shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They'll appeal. They play with our money, not theirs. Of course, they may be concerned about elevating it and losing across the country, not just the 5th circuit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The DoJ has strategically refused to appeal on previous losses when it has figured it was better than risking a greater loss - see United States vs Rock Island Armory, Inc.

A loss in the 8th US. District would have put them in a position where they would have to risk arguing 922(o) in front of SCOTUS, so they cut their losses and didn't risk losing the entire game.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of confusion in this thread and the inability of people to read a few posts above to answer their questions.  In light of the fact that people can't read, SOMEONE PLEASE INFORM KORY WATKINS THAT THIS DECISION MAKES IT LEGAL FOR HIM TO OPEN CARRY A PISTOL IN FRONT OF A TEXAS STATE POLICE STATION.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of confusion in this thread and the inability of people to read a few posts above to answer their questions.  In light of the fact that people can't read, SOMEONE PLEASE INFORM KORY WATKINS THAT THIS DECISION MAKES IT LEGAL FOR HIM TO OPEN CARRY A PISTOL IN FRONT OF A TEXAS STATE POLICE STATION.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
In all seriousness, I will be in the jurisdiction of that District on Friday, staying for a long weekend.  Any FFLs in the DFW area want to sell a pistol to an out of state resident who is not prohibited and can purchase handguns in his home state of CT?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If this holds up can I buy online and have it shipped to the house?
View Quote

Curio and Relic handgun w/ C&R license?

Sure
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is Nevada in the Federal judicial District of North Texas and would the purchase violate California law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So does that mean I could legally go to Nevada get a California off-list pistol and bring it home?

Well, I mean if the verdict becomes federally recognized. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

God damn it.  Fucking Texas and their blue state leftist bullshit again.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The DoJ has strategically refused to appeal on previous losses when it has figured it was better than risking a greater loss - see United States vs Rock Island Armory, Inc.

A loss in the 8th US. District would have put them in a position where they would have to risk arguing 922(o) in front of SCOTUS, so they cut their losses and didn't risk losing the entire game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what that means for Nolo's case.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I was glad to see they argued the Gun Control Act of 1968 case was deemed outdated in its interstate purchase ban with regards to the 'historically recent' implementation of the NICS/PICS.  I think that makes for a very compelling argument.  I like that the Court noted that there were only two notable cases where the system had failed on a measurable scale, but even that was considered insignificant.

If the Defense cannot produce a compelling argument that these checks fail in the prohibition of firearm sales to dangerous individuals, will they have a leg to stand on when presented to the higher courts?  I guess my only worry is that the issue of legal standing and the 'considerable' cost/delay of obtaining the handgun will be viewed differently in the higher courts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it any wonder that all of MS Arfcommers have Nolo on speed dial?  

This is NOT my case!

I think this is the third time you have said exactly this. People get so excited when Holder gets smacked down, they assume that you are responsible for the smackdown. You are known here so it is assumed that you do all the 2A litigation. haha
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was glad to see they argued the Gun Control Act of 1968 case was deemed outdated in its interstate purchase ban with regards to the 'historically recent' implementation of the NICS/PICS.  I think that makes for a very compelling argument.  I like that the Court noted that there were only two notable cases where the system had failed on a measurable scale, but even that was considered insignificant.

If the Defense cannot produce a compelling argument that these checks fail in the prohibition of firearm sales to dangerous individuals, will they have a leg to stand on when presented to the higher courts?  I guess my only worry is that the issue of legal standing and the 'considerable' cost/delay of obtaining the handgun will be viewed differently in the higher courts.
View Quote

For that matter how could they possibly argue that NICS is ineffective and then turn around insist that it remain in place as the authoritative BG check database that is the only thing keeping evil guns out of the hands of criminals?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks to me that the legal provision requiring handguns to be shipped to an FFL in state of residence is no more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck are we reading?

Looks to me that the legal provision requiring handguns to be shipped to an FFL in state of residence is no more.

Ummm---no
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice.

Wonder how many of the "boo Texas" shit talkers from the OC thread(s) will show their face in here.
View Quote

Here I am..........fuck Texas
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag for follow up after the coffee kicks in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#22]
If the defendants ( ATF and DOJ ) are enjoined from enforcing the law by court order, then how can the law be enforced outside the courts jurisdiction?

How can federal law apply in one place but not in another? What happened to the equal application of law?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
for the TL;DR crowd:

FFL dealer sues because he can't transfer a handgun direct to residents of District of Columbia who can legally posses a gun in DC.  

"Because the Hansons could not immediately take possession, they declined to complete the transaction with Mance."  

So dealer lost business and sues for relief from the Federal Handgun Transfer Ban.

"Accordingly, the Court DECLARES that 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(3), 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(3), and27 C.F.R. § 478.99(a) areUNCONSTITUTIONAL, and Defendants are ENJOINED from enforcing these provisions. The Court will issue its final judgment separately." The beauty of this is that the case started in Fall of 2014 and already has findings less than 6 months later.  Oh that we could only hope that the Trust cases are as fast and successful.

Nolo, thanks for your work keeping us up to date on all things 2A legal.  
View Quote

Every time a part of 922 is struck down the tide turns stronger in our favor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#24]
a plaintiff needs to get in front of that same judge next week with this argument:

1) i am a licensed NFA dealer. recently i had someone come to my store looking for full auto m-16.

2) although colt still makes them, atf won't register them as transferable, either because of hughes or internal regulation policy. because of this policy i don't have any in stock.

3) i lost business and therefore have standing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What the fuck are we reading?

View Quote

Jibberish in Legalese.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

1)  That's why I included several references to "in accordance with"
2)  I'm more excited about the precedent/standing than I am about this particular ruling.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It means that if he's successful in two Districts in two separate Circuits, DoJ might not appeal, making the rulings only binding in those separate Districts in two seperate Circuits.

The ideal situation is to lose one and appeal it to the appropriate Circuit, while winning one that DoJ appeals in the other Circuit, then win in one Circuit and lose in the other - then take it to SCOTUS - who generally (but not always) take up cases where Circuits have held differently.

Obviously, there is the possibility of a crushing defeat (loss in the two different Circuits' Districts and / or loss in both Circuits and / or SCOTUS refusal to hear the case). And no guarantee that SCOTUS will even grant certiorai even where Circuits disagree.

If the first (successful in two Districts in two separate Circuits) comes to pass, it would be the basis for multiple equal protection lawsuits in multiple Federal judicial Districts until something broke loose.  A very expensive road.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If the defendants ( ATF and DOJ ) are enjoined from enforcing the law by court order, then how can the law be enforced outside the courts jurisdiction?

How can federal law apply in one place but not in another? What happened to the equal application of law?
View Quote

Happens all the time.  That's why cases go to SCOTUS.  Sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#32]
It would be great to see this applied universally. I would love to be able to buy a gun on vacation somewhere especially in a state with no sales tax!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seriously?   e=MC2   B00Bi3s   192.168.152.44   867-5309  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate trying to read legal crap. This post pursuant to § 9990(b)(3)(6-2)(e=MC2) and 2732 C.F.R.D.G. § 47248.92349(a)(B00Bi3s) for the aforementioned motion by the pursuant body of the decree of the relevance to the gonad juice of the §8762387(a)(b)(Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra) for the §(68763.3298732.363) and §(192.168.152.44) and §(867-5309).

Every fucking law ever written should have a sentence at the top that says "This basically says blah blah blah"

NERDS
Seriously?   e=MC2   B00Bi3s   192.168.152.44   867-5309  

So, Holder and b. Todd Jones = Shaka, when the walls fell.

ETA: Accidentally pasted my reply inside the quote.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No it means people in wa state could go over to oregon and buy handguns at gun stores  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So ordering a pistol from AIM Surplus could be shipped to my door?
No it means people in wa state could go over to oregon and buy handguns at gun stores  

Nope, different district court.  It means that people from Mississippi or Louisiana can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope, different district court.  It means that people from Mississippi can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, different district court.  It means that people from Mississippi can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.

This.  That said, ATF has a gazillion and one legitimate ways to screw with a licensee even if the licensee is on the right side of the law, so I don't expect many in that district will sell handguns to anyone who isn't a TX resident.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#36]
While this is exciting what I'd really like would be to fill out a 4473 online and have guns shipped straight to me. I don't know what the difference is whether it's in person or online as long as the form is filled out and the background check done
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It depends on what happens next.  

As applied challenge: As of right now, that FFL in Texas can sell a pistol to the residents of DC, and the DC residents can buy a pistol from that FFL.

Facial: All FFLs in Northern District of Texas can sell pistols to out of state residents and out of state residents can buy pistols from FFLs in Northern District of Texas.

it does NOT mean that anyone in any other district can buy or sell to nonresidents.

When the fifth circuit rules, that opinion will only be binding in the fifth circuit (LA, MS, TX) and no other circuit or district.

I would expect a stay of the decision pending appeal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, different district court.  It means that people from Mississippi or Louisiana can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.

As applied challenge: As of right now, that FFL in Texas can sell a pistol to the residents of DC, and the DC residents can buy a pistol from that FFL.

Facial: All FFLs in Northern District of Texas can sell pistols to out of state residents and out of state residents can buy pistols from FFLs in Northern District of Texas.

it does NOT mean that anyone in any other district can buy or sell to nonresidents.

When the fifth circuit rules, that opinion will only be binding in the fifth circuit (LA, MS, TX) and no other circuit or district.

If they appeal. As I understand it an appeal could go bad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yep, only instate FFL's are restricted on what they can sell in MA, a quick trip to RI will solve that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you live in a ban state that dictates which handguns you can/can't buy, this looks like a solution to that problem - provided you're willing to do a bit of travel.

Yep, only instate FFL's are restricted on what they can sell in MA, a quick trip to RI will solve that.

But is there not MA State laws covering what you can possess, eg mag capacity >10 rounds etc.?

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, different district court. It means that people from Mississippi or Louisiana can go to the Northern District of Texas and buy handguns.

And I believe that the unique situation vis-a-vis the inability to buy a pistol in DC was a significant factor.  A similar suit for residents of Oklahoma that wanted to buy a pistol in Dallas might not have faired as well (in other words, Alan Gura had a perfect setup).

The Hansons were prevented from reasonably buying a gun in their 'state' of residence (DC) because the only FFL in DC doesn't stock or special order and only transfers, thus they were required to buy out of 'state' (DC) and required to have it shipped and transfered.

So the combined costs and requirements over and above filling out a 4473 and handing over money were unreasonable (and the judge agreed).  Where else would this be the case?  In every other state, residents can buy a pistol there - even though there may be legal hoops (Illinois FOID card; NYS pistol permit; etc.).

Similar suits for DC residents in other Federal judical Districts would be the logical next step.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, for this decision to go nationwide, similar cases have to be tried in (several) different districts, and eventually appealed to SCOTUS, along the lines of the course you are proceeding with the NFA stuff.?

Is Gura, and/or his group heading in this direction?

Are you ?

If I were rich, and/or connected, I would love to be a test case for some of this stuff.

Alas, I cannot even afford a megabucks ticket.........

Keep up the good work, Nolo. Would love to tip a cold one with you, some day.......

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

But is there not MA State laws covering what you can possess, eg mag capacity >10 rounds etc.?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you live in a ban state that dictates which handguns you can/can't buy, this looks like a solution to that problem - provided you're willing to do a bit of travel.

Then you would be breaking MA law when you took the pistol back to MA, but no laws broken on the Federal level or in RI.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#43]
just saw this and knew it'd already be on arfcom. Thanks Nolo
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great theory in theory, and makes me go too, but I suppose this method provides a dampening effect so we don't get radical swings in law everywhere.  Can you imagine the Northern District of CA loony rulings (the most overturned court in the country) being applied nation-wide as soon as they're made?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Great theory in theory, and makes me go too, but I suppose this method provides a dampening effect so we don't get radical swings in law everywhere.  Can you imagine the Northern District of CA loony rulings (the most overturned court in the country) being applied nation-wide as soon as they're made?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Lets see how this plays out

In 1986 the NRA and some in Congress (Harold Volkmer) tried to get interstate handgun sales legal. It failed due to Northeastern Democrats.

Has buying shotguns interstate (since 1986) made crime soar in states that forbid it?

Remember the FOPA of 1986 legalized the buying of shotguns and rifles interstate and the world did not collapse.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I agree, my understanding is that DoJ doesn't have a choice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can appeal go bad?

For the DOJ or gun owners?

For gun owners isn't "status quo" the worst we can expect?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How can appeal go bad?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can appeal go bad?

For DoJ/FedGov.  For gun owners having it struck downmeans status quo.  For DoJ having it upheld is a substantial blow to GCA 1968.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

In before morons start writing ATF inquiring if it is ok to ship as outlined in the lawsuit.

Watch it go under like the SiG Brace issue.

View Quote
I'm off to start my letter writing campaign.

1 a day till I see results!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
A loss for gun owners at the 5th circuit means appeal to the SCOTUS. However the SCOTUS may elect not to hear the case thus letting the 5th circuit ruling stand.

In that event we would need a similar case in another federal circuit court to rule in favor to the gun owners thus creating a split between 2 different federal circuits. This type of split is hard for the SCOTUS to turn away as it pretty much has to resolve the conflict in the name of equal protection of the law. It's not grunted but it is very hard for the SCOTUS to ignore a split between circuit courts.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top