Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm kind of curious if the government will leave it alone and let it just apply to that district instead of risking an appeal loss.
View Quote

That was their cunning plan in United States Vs. Rock Island Armory, Inc (773 F.Supp. 117 (C.D.Ill. 1991) ) and it worked.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/255462603/40-Mance-v-Holder-Memo-Opinion-and-Order

Enjoy.

Memorandum Opinion and Order. Based on the foregoing, it is ORDERED that Defendants' Motion to Dismiss for lack of standing 15 is DENIED. It is FURTHER ORDERED that Plaintiffs' Motion for Summary Judgment 21 is GRANTED, and Defendants' Motion for Summary Judgment 15 is DENIED. Accordingly, the Court DECLARES that 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(3), 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(3), and 27 C.F.R. § 478.99(a) are UNCONSTITUTIONAL, and Defendants are ENJOINED from enforcing these provisions. The Court will issue its final judgment separately. (Ordered by Judge Reed C O'Connor on 2/11/2015) (ndt) (Entered: 02/11/2015)
View Quote

I figured I'd post full text. Since I'm trying to fully and completely grasp what this is all about. Sorry guys I'm having a senior moment.

18 U.S.C. § 922
(3) for any person, other than a licensed im- porter, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or re- ceive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business en- tity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State,
except that this paragraph (A) shall not pre- clude any person who lawfully acquires a fire- arm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,
(B) shall not apply to the transportation or re- ceipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter

T.D. ATF–270, 53 FR 10497, Mar. 31, 1988]
§ 478.99 Certain prohibited sales or de- liveries.
(a) Interstate sales or deliveries. A li- censed importer, licensed manufac- turer, licensed dealer, or licensed col- lector shall not sell or deliver any fire- arm to any person not licensed under this part and who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if a corporation or other business entity, does not main- tain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business or activity is located: Provided, That the foregoing provisions of this para- graph (1) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of a rifle or shotgun (curio or relic, in the case of a licensed col- lector) to a resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee’s place of business or collection premises is located if the requirements of § 478.96(c) are fully met, and (2) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes (see § 478.97).

.........now did I miss anything? I'm not deciphering this jargon so well today...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But I could in theory order from an individual in the subject district and get direct delivery to my home address, no?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I can now go to Cabela's in KC and walk out with a pistol? If so, that's pretty sweet

If you can find a dealer to sell it to you. I have the suspicion local ATF agents are burning up the phones right now "strongly suggesting" that dealers stick to the old rules until an appeals court rules.

No. This case was decided by a Northern District of Texas court, not the District of Kansas.

Only applies there:

http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Public/Map-of-US-District-Courts-2000px.png

But I could in theory order from an individual in the subject district and get direct delivery to my home address, no?

No.

Right now, in the Federal judicial District of North Texas (unless stayed on appeal), an out-of-state person, otherwise legally able under Federal law to purchase a handgun, can purchase a handgun in that Federal judicial District from an FFL in that judicial District- subject to any Texas law (which apparently there is no issue with) and any law in their home state.

You can't have one delivered to your house in Oregon because you can't fill out the 4473 by phone - and Oregon isn't in the Federal judicial District of North Texas.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Wasn't the non-resident purchase ban affirmed in another district, Ohio I think?  The test case of the US citizen currently residing in Canada.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
tl;dr version.  Court applied strict scrutiny to infringements upon the Second Amendment.  FFL's can transfer handguns to out-of-state residents so long as they comply with the other rules (in person meeting, etc.) which apply to rifles and shotguns.
View Quote

Holy shitsnacks, common sense prevails!  Hope this is the judge hearing Hollis!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry.. Slow 13er here. Does this mean I can order a rifle/pistol from any FFL in the US without transferring it to a local FFL?
View Quote

Think it means you can buy a pistol from an FFL in person in any state (at least any state in the 5th District).
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What happens when the "summary" sentence doesn't jive with the law?  Who writes the summary?  The summary would serve to obfuscate the truth even further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate trying to read legal crap. This post pursuant to § 9990(b)(3)(6-2)(e=MC2) and 2732 C.F.R.D.G. § 47248.92349(a)(B00Bi3s) for the aforementioned motion by the pursuant body of the decree of the relevance to the gonad juice of the §8762387(a)(b)(Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra) for the §(68763.3298732.363) and §(192.168.152.44) and §(867-5309).

Every fucking law ever written should have a sentence at the top that says "This basically says blah blah blah"

What happens when the "summary" sentence doesn't jive with the law?  Who writes the summary?  The summary would serve to obfuscate the truth even further.

If you look on Popvox at bills under consideration, you'll see they already do this, and the effect is much like what TXguy says.  The devil is in the details.  The titles lie even worse.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The important part is the Judge applied strict scrutiny.  If we can get SCOTUS to accept this standard, it's game over for the gun grabbers on pretty much everything.
View Quote

SCOTUS?  Hell, just other District and Circuit Court judges.  Once a couple do that, the others have support for that thinking.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Usually those states have an import ban on those guns and require registration, in that case you wouldn't be able to legally possess it and I bet most FFL's won't sell to you. It's a nice thought though and this ruling will certainly help arguments against banning the sale and import of guns banned by an arbitrary list, like CA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you live in a ban state that dictates which handguns you can/can't buy, this looks like a solution to that problem - provided you're willing to do a bit of travel.

Usually those states have an import ban on those guns and require registration, in that case you wouldn't be able to legally possess it and I bet most FFL's won't sell to you. It's a nice thought though and this ruling will certainly help arguments against banning the sale and import of guns banned by an arbitrary list, like CA.

And yet, by the original intent of the Commerce Clause, such bans on products made in a different state would be unconstitutional... Like banning Iowa corn being sold in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So ordering a pistol from AIM Surplus could be shipped to my door?
View Quote

No, you would have to go pick it up in person if I understand the ruling correctly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
They need to find the entire state of Maryland unconstitutional
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]

She's not even breathing hard...

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
More on this...  No doubt  unconstitutional:

- - -  - -  -

"Federal Interstate Handgun Sales Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

In another excellent victory for civil rights by attorney Alan Gura, United States District Court Judge Reed O’Connor struck down the federal interstate handgun sales ban earlier today, finding it unconstitutional (both facially and as-applied) under the Second Amendment and the Fifth Amendment’s Due Process Clause.

As the Court explained, “[t]o prevail on a facial challenge, Plaintiffs must show that either no set of circumstances exists under which the law would be valid or that the statute lacks any plainly legitimate sweep.” That high bar was met by the Plaintiffs’ legal team. The decision explained that “Defendants [United States Attorney General Eric Holder and BATFE director B. Todd Jones] fail[ed] to provide reasonably current figures to show the federal interstate handgun sale ban is narrowly tailored.”

Even though the Court found that strict scrutiny was the proper standard of review for the type of burden on Constitutionally-protected conduct imposed by the challenged laws (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(3), 18 U.S.C. § 922 (b)(3), and 27 C.F.R. § 478.99(a)), it also noted that the law failed even the relatively-deferential intermediate scrutiny test.

The United States, the Court held, has been enforcing “a regime that is not substantially related to the Government’s stated goal” [of public safety]. Even under intermediate scrutiny, “there must be an indication that the regulation will alleviate the asserted harm to a material degree.” But “Defendants [] failed to carry their burden to show how the federal interstate handgun transfer ban alleviates, in a material way, the problem of prohibited persons obtaining handguns simply by crossing state lines and depriving states of notice that they have under the amended version of the 1968 Gun Control Act.” Accordingly, the laws were declared unconstitutional and enjoined from enforcement.

The lawsuit, captioned Fredric Russell Mance, Jr. et al. v. Eric H. Holder, Jr. and B. Todd Jones, was backed by Citizens’ Commitee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, one of the Bellevue, WA-based civil rights groups led by Alan Gottlieb. CCRKBA was also a plaintiff in the case, which will likely be appealed by the government to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Mance trial court docket can be viewed here."

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/news/affiliates/ccrkba/federal-interstate-handgun-sales-ban-ruled-unconstitutional/
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The problem is always the edge cases.  A law that says "basically, AR-15s are banned" gets wonky when we're talking about the difference between an AR-15 and a MATCH SPORTER or a Bushmaster XM15-E.

ETA Heck, we were actually lucky that the Federal AWB didn't say "basically AR-15s are banned"; they were forced to define specific evil features that enabled ban-compliant rifles to be made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every fucking law ever written should have a sentence at the top that says "This basically says blah blah blah"

The problem is always the edge cases.  A law that says "basically, AR-15s are banned" gets wonky when we're talking about the difference between an AR-15 and a MATCH SPORTER or a Bushmaster XM15-E.

ETA Heck, we were actually lucky that the Federal AWB didn't say "basically AR-15s are banned"; they were forced to define specific evil features that enabled ban-compliant rifles to be made.

You're welcome, they basically copied NJ's state ban word for word except for magazine capacity, and pre-ban possession
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
NERDS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate trying to read legal crap. This post pursuant to § 9990(b)(3)(6-2)(e=MC2) and 2732 C.F.R.D.G. § 47248.92349(a)(B00Bi3s) for the aforementioned motion by the pursuant body of the decree of the relevance to the gonad juice of the §8762387(a)(b)(Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra) for the §(68763.3298732.363) and §(192.168.152.44) and §(867-5309).

NERDS
Seriously?   e=MC2   B00Bi3s   192.168.152.44   867-5309

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They need to find the entire state of Maryland unconstitutional
View Quote

correct
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IN before an appeal and some Liberal Federal District Judge overturns the decision!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That should help your case. Using historical context of firearm ownership was a great move.

I don't think the ban on 18-20 yr old buying handguns from an FFL will last forever either.

However I do believe the ban on felons and mentally ill will never fall by court decisions since it is a historical ban.
View Quote

As long as felons are banned from military service. draft, and leo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So does this mean I can buy a stripped lower at a gun store out of my home state now?
View Quote

Yes, but it has to be a gun store in northern texas.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No.
It would mean if I go to Kittery and want to buy a handgun, they wouldn't have to drive it over state lines and do the transfer in NH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry.. Slow 13er here. Does this mean I can order a rifle/pistol from any FFL in the US without transferring it to a local FFL?

No.
It would mean if I go to Kittery and want to buy a handgun, they wouldn't have to drive it over state lines and do the transfer in NH.

I think that's what it says.

When does this happen? I need to expand my scorpion search
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No. This court has jurisdiction over the Northern District of Texas only.  Courts in the first circuit (e.g. New Hampshire) are not compelled to follow this decision.  Even other courts in Texas can ignore it.  So if you live in Austin, this decision does nothing for you immediately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

No. This court has jurisdiction over the Northern District of Texas only.  Courts in the first circuit (e.g. New Hampshire) are not compelled to follow this decision.  Even other courts in Texas can ignore it.  So if you live in Austin, this decision does nothing for you immediately.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Three IL State Troopers were charged with illegal possession of machine guns, the judge tossed the case saying LEO's are exempt from NFA restrictions if they use the weapons in the course of their duties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Illinois. Ruled that NFA rules do not apply to individual LEO's if they use the items in the course of their duties. ie three IL State Troopers used fraudulently obtained full auto M-16's, BATF charged them with it and the court tossed it. The feds did not appeal the rulings.

Same with Drew Peterson and his unregistered SBR, the DA filed charges three times and all three times the judge dismissed it because he used the SBR in the course of his duties. iirc the judge even warned the prosecutor if he filed charges again he would be charged with malicious prosecution.

There was another Illinois case, I think it was US vs Rock Island Armory.

Three IL State Troopers were charged with illegal possession of machine guns, the judge tossed the case saying LEO's are exempt from NFA restrictions if they use the weapons in the course of their duties.

There's a provision in Federal law that exempts LE from the NFA in the course of their duties; that was the basis for that ruling, probably applied in a way the original intent of the legislation didn't anticipate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it any wonder that all of MS Arfcommers have Nolo on speed dial?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In before morons start writing ATF inquiring if it is ok to ship as outlined in the lawsuit.

Watch it go under like the SiG Brace issue.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!

Oh, stop being so modest.

(Maybe you should use giant bolded text...)
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

iirc it did if you have the proper documentation etc...I could get an SBR as an LEO in AL with the proper letters and tax forms when SBR's were banned by state law. These guys had full auto M-16's they obtained without doing that.

View Quote

Did they get their department to buy them and then take them home?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was their cunning plan in United States Vs. Rock Island Armory, Inc (773 F.Supp. 117 (C.D.Ill. 1991) ) and it worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm kind of curious if the government will leave it alone and let it just apply to that district instead of risking an appeal loss.

The ATF did the same thing after some circuits ruled that the NFA doesn't apply to police after they heard cases of police officers in possession of illegal NFA weapons. Drew Peterson was one of the cases.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Woot?

Good, but I'm sure it's not done
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a provision in Federal law that exempts LE from the NFA in the course of their duties; that was the basis for that ruling, probably applied in a way the original intent of the legislation didn't anticipate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Illinois. Ruled that NFA rules do not apply to individual LEO's if they use the items in the course of their duties. ie three IL State Troopers used fraudulently obtained full auto M-16's, BATF charged them with it and the court tossed it. The feds did not appeal the rulings.

Same with Drew Peterson and his unregistered SBR, the DA filed charges three times and all three times the judge dismissed it because he used the SBR in the course of his duties. iirc the judge even warned the prosecutor if he filed charges again he would be charged with malicious prosecution.

There was another Illinois case, I think it was US vs Rock Island Armory.

That may be, but does the provision extend to personal ownership outside the course of their duties?  And don't give me that tired old  "always on duty" bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't even know this was happening.  Wow.  Just wow.  And strict scrutiny.  Wholyeee fuck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
No it means people in wa state could go over to oregon and buy handguns at gun stores

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's some funny shit right there! I concur.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is NOT my case!

Well congratulations on winning it for us anyways, Nolo.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad to see this:

The Court, therefore, applies strict scrutiny—that is, the law
must be narrowly tailored to be the least restrictive means of achieving a
compelling government interest.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It did not address that issue. Just so long as the officers could prove the item was used in the course of their duties the law does not apply to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks! Do you remember any specifics in the rulings regarding possession when they retire from or lose their jobs? That seems like it should be a huge can of worms for the ATF.

It did not address that issue. Just so long as the officers could prove the item was used in the course of their duties the law does not apply to them.

I think the State Police tighted up their agency regulations.

There is no "huge can of worms" for the BATFE.  The issue with the three Illinois State troopers and their dentist buddy was that their agencies (I think the dentist was some sort of reserve something) didn't know they had these machine guns and didn't have department policies for individual officers to buy machine guns or other NFA items on letterhedad - the troopers and the dentist were really just trying to get around 922(o) and have machine gun toys.

As I remember, when the shitstorm broke it was the ISP that wanted their guts for garters.

I'll bet its clearly spelled out as a absolute no-no now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before morons start writing ATF inquiring if it is ok to ship as outlined in the lawsuit.

Watch it go under like the SiG Brace issue.

+1

A court ruling is a bit different than a change of opinion by the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If I understand correctly, Washington's retarded new law is in deep shit...

Nick
View Quote

I don't see how it would be. Hopefully someone can educate me how it would. Cuz FUCK Bloomberg.

But, i594 restricts WA residents from selling/transferring a firearm to another resident without a background check being done by an FFL. This if upheld would allow me to buy a handgun in Oregon from an FFL, but it would still be illegal to sell it to a WA resident with out a BGC.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

While that part is true, receiving in NH also means NOT paying ME sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

They still drive it over the line? My dad bought one back when I was a kid and they did that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I rost at your astute legal analysis.  You win an internet for the day!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#46]
As someone who lives on a border, (Kentucky and Ohio) I've always thought this is the stupidest law ever written. I live in Ohio and work in Kentucky. The largest town, closest to me is in Kentucky. The closest hospital is in Kentucky. Most shopping for nearly any product is in Kentucky. I can legally buy any of those products in Kentucky, except handguns. How does this even make sense? I can only hope this stupidity is struck down.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
So does that mean I could legally go to Nevada get a California off-list pistol and bring it home?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This is NOT my case!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is NOT my case!

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top