Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 2/9/2015 1:06:40 PM EDT
Some video of testimony here:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/american-sniper-trial-taya-kyle-emotionally-describes-their-last-moments-n312451

Rest in Peace Kyle and Chad.

God have mercy on you soul Eddie.

Live Blog with very good coverage: http://www.texannews.net/live-blog-texas-v-routh/

Live Twitter Feeds:
https://twitter.com/chrissadeghi/
https://twitter.com/wfaajdouglas
https://twitter.com/ehrlichABC        

This post is getting convoluted.  I recommend going to the live Texan News blog posted above for the best coverage.  The Twitter feeds have had some good photos posted too.  I'll continue to post updates in the thread.

Opening statements can be watched here:

http://bit.ly/1B6Gir4

LIVE FEED HERE:  
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/watch-live-american-sniper-trial-n304331
Live feed is down.  Was only for opening arguments as allowed by the judge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trial starts 9AM Central on Wednesday.  Figured I'd get a thread started to keep everything in one place.

Here's the most recent picture I could find of Eddie.  Hoping for a speedy trial.  Prayers to the family of all parties involved.

UPDATES IN RED:

I'm going to keep the OP updated with anything I find out. I subscribed to Jim Douglas' Twitter feed.  He's a reporter with WFAA in the courtroom covering the trial.

8:31 AM - 9 Feb 2015
Eddie Routh trial update:  145 potential jurors being questioned. The rest of 263 called were sent home. May be called Tue if needed.

8:34 AM - 9 Feb 2015
1 juror excused for talking to a reporter. When asked if they could judge solely on evidence despite publicity, all raised their hands.

8:57 AM - 9 Feb 2015
Erath DA Alan Nash tells panel only punishment possible in this case is life in prison. There will be no punishment phase if convicted.

9:05 AM - 9 Feb 2015
Going through people involved in case. Paramedics, range workers, law enforcement. Likely witnesses. Simply knowing does not disqualify.

2:00 PM - 9 Feb 2015
Routh's lawyer questioned jury pool on publicity and insanity. All said they could decide on evidence only.

3:35 PM - 9 Feb 2015
Jury seated.  10 women. 2 men. Testimony in Routh trial starts Wednesday.

8:45 AM - 10 Feb 2015
Eddie Routh in court. Brief pre-trial motions.
State wants to photograph his tattoos. Granted

3:55 PM - 10 Feb 2015
Prosecutors want to show jurors Eddie Routh's "high life" tattoo to emphasize drug use.

3:58 PM - 10 Feb 2015
Prosecutors also hope to introduce a list of 37 extraneous offenses. Drugs, DWI, killing small animals, flooding cell

Chad Littlefield shot 4 times in back.  Also In face and top of head with 9mm handgun.
Kyle shot with a .45 4 times in the back, 1 in the side, and 1 in the head

Eddie left the shooting range with the 9mm (that was issued to SEALs) and the .45.  He first went to his uncle's to show him the new guns he got.  Then went to his sister's and showed her his new truck and new guns.  Then admitted to her that he murdered 2 men.

Chris Kyle's widow Taya takes the stand.  She can barely speak. Tears as she tries to say his name.
Her breaths are shaky. "I'm sorry. I'm not nervous, just emotional."
Asked where he served. She says Falujah where contractors were burned.
Then she says Ramadi, where 2 friends died beside him. She talks directly to jury.
She says she learned later that he went down a bullet filled alley to save a journalist.
Describes a marine dying on Chris's chest as he tried to save him.  Painting picture of selfless man.
Taya says Chris came home physically and emotionally battered. 30% disability for PTSD. 2 knee surgeries

Taya says she talked to Chris from range. Could tell he was irritated by something.
Chad Littlefield's wife called. Also worried. Taya called and texted Chris. No response.
Then police officer arrives at house.  After several minutes, he tells her Chris is dead.

Taya Kyle questioned by defense.  Warren St John asks if Chris would take drunk person to gun range.
prosecutors say Eddie Routh drank and smoked pot before trip.
Taya testified earlier Chris did not want to be around shooters who had been drinking.

Judy Littlefield takes the stand:
Judy Littlefield,  Chad's mom.  He would have been 38 today.  She can barely say it's birthday.
She says Chad checked on her every day.  "A good son." A "passion for veterans," but not a vet.

Chad Littlefield w/Daughter Morgan. Judy Littlefield says Chad & Chris were workout partners.

Frank Alvarez of Rough Creek Lodge 3rd Witness. Range where murder happened.

Graphic crime scene photos being shown. Shows both Kyle & Littlefield lying near range deck. Taya is in courtroom.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you talk to a Mod about an *Official* tag?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/us/trial-in-killing-of-chris-kyle-american-sniper-model-sets-town-on-edge.html

A pool of 263 potential jurors qualified for jury selection. Prosecutors and defense lawyers will question them on Monday and Tuesday, but there was concern whether the pool was large enough for a jury to be seated, raising the remote possibility that the start of the trial could be delayed.

Mr. Routh has pleaded not guilty, and his lawyers have told the judge they planned to raise an insanity defense. Mr. Routh, a former Marine who served in Iraq, told the authorities in the months before the shooting that he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The trial is expected to last 2 weeks.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet. I searched for another thread but didn't find one.  (hard to do without a membership anymore).  

Figured I'd start this to weed out any trial threads that might have already started.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Change your thread title to "Official". The worst can happen, they'll tell you to take it down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Pres. Obama pays his respects to coaching legend Dean Smith; Tweeters still waiting for a statement on Chris Kyle
link
Posted at 7:27 pm on February 8, 2015 by Twitchy Staff
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag-a-rooni
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eta: or are you wanting it highlighted?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
taggage

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pres. Obama pays his respects to coaching legend Dean Smith; Tweeters still waiting for a statement on Chris Kyle
link
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see why this couldn't be a tag.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]

In on one! and TAG

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I read over the weekend that there's a possibility that Eddie never saw combat.  I have zero use for him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
this should be interdesting
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck that guy.. burn in hell MFer!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Freaking clown was reservist in small arms repair and PTSD made him kill two guys so he could steal their truck Media loves this shit, adds more stigma to guys that really suffer from it.

Here's to hoping prosecution can skewer this asshole.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]

He got the cray eye in that pic!

ETA:  That guy looks like(is) a USDA Certified psycho!

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
in on one for the tag
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tagged
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#22]
In.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
In on one
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
In!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag on one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#26]
We all know the chair is coming. Now we wait...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#27]
In on 1.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You must know something the rest of us don't, including the prosecution.  They're not seeking the death penalty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must know something the rest of us don't, including the prosecution.  They're not seeking the death penalty.

Its a shame they arent
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. High hopes I guess. I believe the damning evidence will be the phone call to his sister about "selling his soul for a truck". If true, that indicates pre-meditation and the "mental illness" card will be hard to over take that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#31]
may a million fucks be cast upon that fuck.

But in all honesty, he will be free in 20 years at most.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
In on 1?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
link
View Quote

Too late anyway. He missed his opportunity and exposed himself for the douche nozzle he is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#34]

5 questions, answers about ‘American Sniper’ murder trial

Q: Did Eddie Ray Routh and Chris Kyle know each other?

A: No. Mother Jodi Routh has told numerous news outlets that she ran into Kyle at the school where she serves as an aide. She had heard about Kyle’s work with wounded veterans and asked if he might be willing to help her son, who was struggling with PTSD and alcohol abuse. Kyle and Littlefield went to Routh’s home on Feb. 2, 2013, to take him to a shooting range, where the killings occurred. It appears to have been the first time they’d met.

Q: What is Routh’s defense strategy?

A: Since Routh admitted the slayings to his sister and brother-in-law, and in an interview with the Texas Rangers, the trial will revolve around his state of mind at the time. Routh’s attorneys have filed a notice of intent to pursue an insanity defense. Prosecutors have chosen not to seek the death penalty if Routh is convicted, but will ask that he be given life without the possibility of parole. Defense attorneys have expressed concern about whether Routh can receive a fair trial, since the proceeding, set to begin Feb. 11, will come as the Oscar-nominated movie “American Sniper,” based on Kyle’s memoir, is filling theaters nationwide and even in Erath County, Texas, where trial will be held.

Q: What is PTSD?

A: According to the American Psychiatric Association, PTSD is characterized by “clinically significant distress or impairment in the individual’s social interactions, capacity to work or other important areas of functioning.” Paula Schnurr, acting executive director of the National Center for PTSD, says the individual need not have experienced the trauma himself. “PTSD can also occur when people have witnessed a horrific event occurring to others or learning about some types of horrific events that may happen to a loved one, such as losing a loved one to murder or suicide,” said Schnurr, whose agency is part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Symptoms include recurrent dreams or flashbacks, changes in mood, avoidance and hypervigilance. Anger and irritability are also in the profile, though not all people experience those symptoms, says Schnurr. “We know from research that individuals with PTSD have an increased likelihood of engaging in aggressive or violent behavior,” she said. “There is a statistical association between PTSD and violence, both domestic violence and violence against others. But when I say violence I mean aggression or violence and that may include threats and not acts, so it’s a broad category.” An estimated 15 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have PTSD.

Q: How has the PTSD defense fared in the criminal courts?

A: The record has been decidedly mixed. The authors of a 2012 article in The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law concluded that success hinges largely on how well the expert testimony links the symptoms and crime. “Appellate courts have found criminal defenses based on PTSD to be viable and compelling when a clear and direct connection between the defendant’s PTSD symptoms and the criminal incident was found by the expert,” wrote the authors of “PTSD as a Criminal Defense: A Review of Case Law.” ‘’The PTSD phenomena that appellate courts have found to be most relevant to criminal defenses include dissociations, hyperarousal symptoms, hypervigilance symptoms, and the overestimation of danger.” Some jurisdictions have recognized PTSD “as a valid basis for insanity, unconsciousness, and self-defense,” the authors found. However, Georgia recently executed Vietnam veteran Andrew Brannan in the 1998 murder of a deputy sheriff, despite arguments from his attorneys that he had PTSD and was 100 percent mentally disabled.

Q: Much has been written about “American Sniper” author Chris Kyle. But who was the other victim, Chad Littlefield?

A: Littlefield, 35, had a wife and young daughter. According to a June 2013 New Yorker Magazine story, the two men met on the sidelines of a youth soccer game and became friends. They lived in the same neighborhood, and hunted and worked out together. Although he had never been in the military himself, Littlefield — facilities and logistics manager with a lab in DeSoto, Texas — also volunteered his time to work with veterans. By the time of that fateful outing with Routh, he had accompanied Kyle “on similar trips dozens of times,” according to an April 2013 article in D Magazine. Routh’s trial is set to begin on what would have been Littlefield’s 38th birthday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Eddie Ray Routh’s defense crumbling: ‘None of us believe it was PTSD,’ vets say

The veterans group Warfighter Foundation is claiming that Eddie Ray Routh, the suspected killer of former U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield, never saw military battle — and doesn’t have PTSD,

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Hang him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hang him.
View Quote

No. Go put him in a huge empty field or plane () and let a group of snipers toy with him for a while.

EDIT: FUCK!  I just wasted post 762.  DAMNIT!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No. Go put him in a huge empty field or plane () and let a group of snipers toy with him for a while.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hang him.

I would buy front row tickets for this
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I am honestly reserving jusgement.  Lots of stories, lots of heresay radio chatter.  Whatever.

Either he was a scumbag who deserves what he gets, or he really was a damaged individual who needed help.  Chris Kyle was helping these guys because they needed help.  If he legitimately had sever issues and lost his shit, then it is just tragic all the way around.  If he was just some scumbag, fuck him, too bad they aren't seeking the chair.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Man I hope they roast his ass.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#41]
This guy isn't going to last long in prison.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Hang that mother fucker
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
The way I see it everything points to a douchebag who killed two guys to steal a truck he liked.

Maybe I'm wrong. He's innocent until proven guilty and I hope all the facts come out.

My main concern is that PTSD isn't made even more a stigma. I don't want guy who legit have it to be locked up or turned into second class citizens.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm fortunate to live close. I plan on being there. I'll report daily from the court room during lunch and such.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Hope he gets the chair!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#46]
In for justice...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn double tap
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#48]
In for a outcome consistent with what most have posted above ...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm fortunate to live close. I plan on being there. I'll report daily from the court room during lunch and such.
View Quote

That will be great!  Maybe you can live tweet?  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#50]
In on one?

ETA Yes!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top