Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2015 2:51:02 PM EDT
GD's opinion..what are the better ones out there...with a cost versus features analysis?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still debating whether or not to hack my own together with a Raspberry Pi, or just be lazy and buy one that doesn't do everything I wished it did.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The G1W is a good little unit.

Doesn't work the best when it super cold out though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife drives a 60 ft artic commuter bus....that have cameras all over them. She and others have had their jobs saved by those cameras....so it seems like a good idea to put one on our car.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a big thread here somewhere. Need to get off my ass and get one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

eh...coldest it gets here is the teens...and not very often.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE for the last 14 months and it's working very well. $207

1080P and good evening video. Records audio (or not), GPS, inertia displays, one push button to save off a scene.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KgKq9aghL._SL1000_.jpg
View Quote

Do you have a favorite seller?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently the G1W-C is the one for the cold, it uses a capacitor instead of a battery.

When it's down below 10 or so mine freezes on start up, if I bring it in the house it works fine. I need to upgrade to the capacitor model.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Dash cams rock, especially when the person who hits you claims to have the light.

Another good one:

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was a cabbie for eight years. Based on my experiences I now use a dashcam.

Get off your ass and get TWO. One forward and one pointed out the back window so the girl who rear ends you and switches seats with her boyfriend won't get away with it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dash cams rock, especially when the person who hits you claims to have the light.
http://youtu.be/ny01_mvJyjA
View Quote

lol...that's the video I just spotted on facebook.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Another good one:
http://youtu.be/qQ7C0mPuwmE

View Quote

2nd one is really good quality...i could read the plates on the car that hit him. The link says its a G1W dash cam.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

2nd one is really good quality...i could read the plates on the car that hit him. The link says its a G1W dash cam.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another good one:

It looks excellent for the price, but I'd want to know what the night/low light performance is like.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.amazon.com/SQdeal-C2-AE-Recorder-Camcorder-Detection-G-Sensor/dp/B00MBC16NK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

i bought this one when it was around $25. However even though its 1080p, its not as clear as the G1W video i saw above. But its a good cheap option, maybe i'll put it on my rear windows to record the back. and get the g1W for the front.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Another good one:

View Quote

Wow!!  Makes me want to go get one!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I now run one during my commute in and out of DC.  My wife bought one of the "Blackbox" models from Amazon, we researched and got the best card for it, and it took me all of 10 minutes to set it up in the garage.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Big thread in the home security forum:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/397378__Dash_cams_and_Black_Box_vehicle_cams.html

Page 9 of that thread shows the hit-n-run guy who hits me and drives off.  I have also saved a co-worker who was hit by an asshole who failed to yield and then tried to blame my co-worker.  I was 2 cars back and got it all on video.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The G1W is excellent.  I would have picked that up if I'd known about it before my purchase.

I picked up a RoadhawkHD for the front facing cam, and a Mobius Actioncam is mounted in the back at the top edge of the rear window facing back.

The only thing I've done to mine, is hard wire the power to them and hook up a Blackvue Power Magic Pro so I am able to have the cams run for a specific amount of time after I shut the car off.

Also, the Mobius was intended as a keychain cam, so I removed the battery and installed a "super capacitor".  It allows the cam to save the last file if power is lost, and when the camera powers down (the Roadhawk already does this).  I went with the Mobius for the rear cam, because it's extremely small and unobtrusive and the video is extremely nice.  There's also a lot of support onlne, and an excellent freeware GUI used to hack and program the Mobius.

I havent had an incident where the cams paid for themselves, but they're there if anything weird was ever to happen.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Go here, good comparisons

Reading the above link lead me to the G1W, excellent HD vid for ~ $60/shipped to my door.

Find a model you're interested in, read the reviews, at the bottom of the G1W review were links to reputable ebay sellers so you don't end up with a fake pile of crap.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been using a Mobius action cam for almost a year, about $100, works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UZIR2WBMo
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I use Garmin GDR35, i like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been using a Mobius action cam for almost a year, about $100, works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UZIR2WBMo
View Quote

What are you using to change settings?

If you are just running through via button pushes, try mSetup.zip.
Mobius ActionCam and Keychain #16 Configuration Utility
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I now run one during my commute in and out of DC.  My wife bought one of the "Blackbox" models from Amazon, we researched and got the best card for it, and it took me all of 10 minutes to set it up in the garage.  
View Quote

How fast is it to remove and stash for when the car is parked someplace sketchy?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Home and Security in 'Armory' section.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#26]
It looks like the G1W-H has it on most of the cameras in terms of features and price.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I have to park my car in the Florida heat.  Will one of these just melt sitting in the window?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have to park my car in the Florida heat.  Will one of these just melt sitting in the window?
View Quote

I had some graphic glitches from my G1W-H when I put up my sun shield behind it (i.e., cooking it between the windshield and the sun screen).  It came back when it cooled down.  Since then I make sure to put the sun shield in front of the camera.  I think it would be good on all but the hottest days.

To answer the night question above, I just posted a short night video in the main thread in the Home Security board in the Armory section (or linked above).
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Had 2 close calls this week.

First one, a female in a mini-van ran a red light and I almost t-boned.  Missed her by inches.  My green light at the intersection was green for about 10 seconds.  She blasted through going about 40 mph.

Second was a pickup who entered the 4 lane road from the opposite side from my lane and swerved directly into my line fishtailing all the way.

After reading this thread, I decided I needed a dash cam, if for no other reason to cover my ass.

My daughter has a BlackVue which she put on her F-150 about a year ago.  She tells me that it's a very sturdy unit and handles the east coast cold very well.   Has excellent video which she can download to her cell phone.  I purchased the DR650GW-2CH unit which has the forward and rear facing cameras.  Spent more then the units listed above, but, sometimes it's better to buy once and cry once.

Waiting for it to arrive now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had 2 close calls this week.

First one, a female in a mini-van ran a red light and I almost t-boned.  Missed her by inches.  My green light at the intersection was green for about 10 seconds.  She blasted through going about 40 mph.

Second was a pickup who entered the 4 lane road from the opposite side from my lane and swerved directly into my line fishtailing all the way.

After reading this thread, I decided I needed a dash cam, if for no other reason to cover my ass.

My daughter has a BlackVue which she put on her F-150 about a year ago.  She tells me that it's a very sturdy unit and handles the east coast cold very well.   Has excellent video which she can download to her cell phone.  I purchased the DR650GW-2CH unit which has the forward and rear facing cameras.  Spent more then the units listed above, but, sometimes it's better to buy once and cry once.

Waiting for it to arrive now.
View Quote

I looked into that very same camera, it's an excellent choice.

I use a Blackvue Power Magic Pro power controller/timer on my forward and rear facing cams in my daily driver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Waiting for that too
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my 2 Channel BlackVue dash cam installed today.  Has one 1080p forward and one aft.  I can download video directly to my I Potato, and if the vehicle is bumped it records.

Kinda cool!  I still have some learning to do.  Has the 64GB card.  Install, is completely hidden.

Specs here:  

http://thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-1080p-dual-lens-wifi-dashcam-dr650gw-2ch/

Install here:

Short video so you can see how clear it is.

(Note.  Need to look up how to shut off verbal prompts)

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I want one that has a remote camera the size of a cell camera. I want to hide it in my rearview mirror. I don't want a big box that says steal me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Look at the link I just provided above you.  I had the same concerns.  That's why I went with this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Look at the link I just provided above you.  I had the same concerns.  That's why I went with this.
View Quote
I'm thinking of rolling my own, with a cell phone camera. Smaller than a dime.

or might gut a Mobius and rearrange the components

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Garmin Dash cam 20.  Been using it for a year in two Peterbilts.  No problems.

A handful of my sample vids in the linked Dashcam thread.

-p.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I need to hard wire my power supply. I had a failed attempt but luckily it only fried the circuit board in the plug socket. Now to find a 12 to 5v stepdown.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I need to hard wire my power supply. I had a failed attempt but luckily it only fried the circuit board in the plug socket. Now to find a 12 to 5v stepdown.
View Quote
LM2596, works great. Or you can hack a cigarette lighter to usb cell charger. 5v.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lm+voltage+converter

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I came a few inches from becoming part of a 4 car accident this morning on the way to work. Luckily I was watching traffic up ahead and started breaking early. The guy 3 cars ahead of me wasn't paying attention and had to slam on his brakes hard, the car behind him and the one in front of me all hit bumper to bumper. I stopped about 3 or 4 inches short of the guy in front of me after he slammed into the guy in front of him. I decided not to put off getting a dash cam any longer and ordered a G1W from Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Well..I bought the G1W-H...bought a micro  card to go with..still in the box, haven't had much of a chance to examine it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay, after reading these threads, I definitely want to put a camera in the van, but I'm on a budget right now.  My max is $100

Which one of these do you guys think is better?  

G1WH by Spy Tec

WickedHD G1W sold by Foscam

Or is there another that I missed?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Okay, after reading these threads, I definitely want to put a camera in the van, but I'm on a budget right now.  My max is $100

Which one of these do you guys think is better?  

G1WH by Spy Tec This is who I went with...fast delivery..and everything looks good.

WickedHD G1W sold by Foscam

Or is there another that I missed?

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]
sample of mine, have them on all the cars - it has front and rear cams with mic and GPS

1080p Front on BMW

Rear on the Jeep

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Is it normal for the internal battery to only last a few minutes....do I need to keep the cord connected at all times?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is it normal for the internal battery to only last a few minutes....do I need to keep the cord connected at all times?
View Quote

that's normal. used for if you are away and the car is hit, you can have it set to come on at a specific force of impact. I dont remember what setting it is.  IF you google g1w manual, a much better one is found, than came with it, it's actually in english, not just using english words.

also, in doing my research, class 10 cards suck in them. hard to find class 4 or 6, which are recommended for them.  online only i guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have had the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE for the last 14 months and it's working very well. $207

1080P and good evening video. Records audio (or not), GPS, inertia displays, one push button to save off a scene.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KgKq9aghL._SL1000_.jpg
View Quote

I've had this one since November 2013. Works great, no problems. The video is good. It has come in handy a couple of times.  

Had a woman driving with her husband hit me, low speed crash. It did nothing to my truck, but it smashed her tail light. They were Russian , the husband got out going off about whose gonna pay for the damages to my car. I pointed to my dash cam and said I don't know, but it won't be me. You're wife hit me, fortunately for you nothing happened to my truck. He decided it was time to go. When I got home I saved the video to my computer... just in case. The video was perfect, showed everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Been thinking about getting one of these. Don't like the idea of the power cord flapping around from the window though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do.  Cheapest insurance one can buy and the best insurance in some situations.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#49]
For you guys worrying about best night resolution/etc, it's like having a firearm.  First rule is.....have a dashcam.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought one a year ago but have yet to install it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top