BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/1/2015 9:24:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not. Thanks, I need to start looking for for more info and ask the wheat farmers I know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard this too  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I spray your shit! I spray it up!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It makes no sense ...so I say bullshit.

You get the weeds early in the season so they don't rob the crop of the water and the nutrients while growing.

Killing the weeds just before harvest makes no sense.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
No 71
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no row crop guy, but I am getting a horticulture degree in about 2 months

Round (glyphosate) is a systemic herbicide, I don't really see a benefit to spraying a herbicide right before harvest as weed pressure should be fairly low when you have full grown wheat out competing weeds for sun. Maybe in fields that have high enough weed pressure to impede the harvester? But I imagine if you're messing up the harvest rate of one of those big metal goliaths then you probably don't have much wheat in that field in the first place. I'm sure someone will be around in like 5 minutes to tell me how my thinking was wrong though

ETA: Read the article, it may in fact induce seed set in non "roundup ready" crops. I did a little google searching and found out that US grown commercial wheat is NOT round up ready, so there may be a grain of truth here. The author admits though that the practice as stated to increase seed set is not a labeled use, and therefore illegal. There are a lot of "clickbait" stats though... 99.7% of wheat has been grown on fields treated with insecticide and herbicide? Ya no shit, even organic farmers have organic pesticides
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You get the weeds early in the season so they don't rob the crop of the water and the nutrients while growing.

View Quote

Spray wheat with Roundup, and it might ripen quicker.  

I don't know if they do that (I haven't applied Roundup on a farm since `85), but I suppose it would work.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Has nothing to do with killing weeds- read the article.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
We never sprayed wheat that I can remember. However we did spray Milo with salt water to kill sunflowers so we could harvest it. That was in Texas in the 90's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think that is the practice around here.  However, you are aware that potatoes are killed before harvest, are you not?  A couple of common methods are to spray the field with an herbicide and another is to spray the plants with sulfuric acid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Roundup is good stuff. Good for the children to eat. Folks here told me so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Roundup is good stuff. Good for the children to eat. Folks here told me so.
View Quote

I brush my teeth with it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Never done it myself. I've never heard of another farmer doing it.

Sounds like commie farmer's market B.S. to me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Wheat is an annual crop. This means it "dies" and drys down on its own when fully mature.
No farmer would spray that many acres with a desiccant when the crop drys without any further cost.

Liberals be stupid liberals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't think that is the practice around here. However, you are aware that potatoes are killed before harvest, are you not?  A couple of common methods are to spray the field with an herbicide and another is to spray the plants with sulfuric acid.
View Quote
No, please continue.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in southwest Nebr. and never heard of such a thing. I was 28 when I left and the only one of all my cousins who grew up in town. Same with my best friend. But I've also been gone 25 years now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
It's sprayed not drenched...lol drenched, like they fill the fields with round-up It's done in some cases not often and no not to kill weeds and big deal.  Some people are just to far removed from how and why things work to understand anything, but have no problem then being instantly outraged, truly don't understand it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It makes no economic sense.  Pure, unadulterated bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

Abstract

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup®, is the most important causal factor in this epidemic.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wheat is an annual crop. This means it "dies" and drys down on its own when fully mature.
No farmer would spray that many acres with a desiccant when the crop drys without any further cost.

Liberals be stupid liberals.
View Quote

One of the issues I have with the article aswell. That being said you would be amazed at some of the practices we hear from extension agents....

Ever hear the country remedy for fire ants? Boil some grits and pour the mixture over the mound.... You would be amazed at how hard it is to explain to people its the boiling water and not the fucking grits that killed the ants.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#23]
It's BS
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So Nutnfancy is writing about roundup too?
Where's the BS flag I know it's around here somewhere
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Just another Monsanto hate article, just like this thread will turn into.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Round Up, it has what plants crave.
Never heard or seen this done and I have been stuck in fuckin' wheat country most of my life.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
We lease our fields out.
They spray for bugs once.

I don't know if they add round up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about everywhere else, but in my corner of MT, it is not true.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Well the other day, I read on the internet that Larue rifles would not cycle properly out of the box (I think there was even "video evidence"), but we can't believe everything we read on the internet can we.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Abstract

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup®, is the most important causal factor in this epidemic.

View Quote

Bullshit.  "Gluten free" is just the latest fad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We lease our fields out.
They spray for bugs once.

I don't know if they add round up.
View Quote

If you're spraying for bugs, the last fucking thing you'd add is roundup.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Not true in north Texas or Kansas
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I've heard of this before. From what I understand, it's more of a wet region thing. The grain growers around here don't do it, but apparently they have heard of farms in wetter regions that do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#36]
They use this in Canada and in some northern plains states where the grow season is short.

Most of the US wheat crop has no need for this seeing how the grow time for wheat is pretty short
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

An elderly widow's calves had gotten a little to big but she asked Team LaRue to come work them, ear tags, nutting, and so forth.

A fairly good size bull calf kicked the scalpel into dad's hand after his first swipe at knocking off the bottom of the sack.  Dad was on cumiden (sic) and bled like a stuck hog, drenching mind you, drenching me in his blood.  No rest for the weary, I still had to knock the rest of that sack off and yank them two nuts out before rushing him to the local doc for stitches.

I barely got a clue.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's sprayed not drenched...lol drenched, like they fill the fields with round-up It's done in some cases not often and no not to kill weeds and big deal.  Some people are just to far removed from how and why things work to understand anything, but have no problem then being instantly outraged, truly don't understand it.

An elderly widow's calves had gotten a little to big but she asked Team LaRue to come work them, ear tags, nutting, and so forth.

A fairly good size bull calf kicked the scalpel into dad's hand after his first swipe at knocking off the bottom of the sack.  Dad was on cumiden (sic) and bled like a stuck hog, drenching mind you, drenching me in his blood.  No rest for the weary, I still had to knock the rest of that sack off and yank them two nuts out before rushing him to the local doc for stitches.

I barely got a clue.  

LaRue banding guns?  Your missing a market you could be selling guns to just sayin
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#38]
It is mostly bullshit put out by chicken little types.  I really don't bother with this shit on FB but linked is a good look at the claims.

Just because you saw it on Face Book it doesn't make it true.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#39]
The disconnect between city folk and farm folk is huge.

I farm and ranch on the side but work in the dairy business. When i talk about basic farm processes with people that ask they are shocked.

Shocked.

They think ag is just a bunch of jovial rednecks who grow crops and raise animals with nothing but mother nature and whimsy.

They will take medicine when they are sick and pay scotts to fertilize/spray their yard but if you give a sick cow a shot and spray some broadleaf weeds you're poisoning the entire country.

Anytime you hear the word "drenched" when talking about ag you know its bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Exploding breast cancer and autism? Glyphosate. The whole food supply is drenched in it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#41]
This has been covered by Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp

Regarding the Roundup usage:

Moreover, commenter after commenter with direct experience in wheat farming has chimed in to state that despite the author's claims that nearly all the durum and spring wheat in the U.S. is "doused with Roundup as part of the harvesting process," they've never engaged in, seen, or heard of such a practice and have no use for it because it's unnecessary or economically unfeasible:
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp#paq52HYj0ms5Go0u.99
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The disconnect between city folk and farm folk is huge.

I farm and ranch on the side but work in the dairy business. When i talk about basic farm processes with people that ask they are shocked.

Shocked.

They think ag is just a bunch of jovial rednecks who grow crops and raise animals with nothing but mother nature and whimsy.

They will take medicine when they are sick and pay scotts to fertilize/spray their yard but if you give a sick cow a shot and spray some broadleaf weeds you're poisoning the entire country.
View Quote

OMG !  HOW MANY ANIMALS DID YOU KILL ?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#44]
The article says spraying Roundup as a dessicant is not labeled, meaning it is not legal.  Elsewhere, the same article says something like 80-90 percent of wheat farmers do it, which seems to me, unlikely.  I am not saying that the article is wrong, just that this needs more explanation before I believe it.  That is a lot of illegal activity for no one to notice until now.  I do have an applicator's license, but do not live in wheat country.  Do they fly it on?   I have more questions than answers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exploding breast cancer and autism? Glyphosate. The whole food supply is drenched in it.

View Quote

The 2,4 D resistant seed will be even moar better.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#46]
According to Dr. Stephanie Seneff of MIT who has studied the issue in depth and who I recently saw present on the subject at a nutritional Conference in Indianapolis, desiccating non-organic wheat crops with glyphosate just before harvest came into vogue late in the 1990’s with the result that most of the non-organic wheat in the United States is now contaminated with it.  Seneff explains that when you expose wheat to a toxic chemical like glyphosate, it actually releases more seeds resulting in a slightly greater yield:   “It ‘goes to seed’ as it dies. At its last gasp, it releases the seed” says Dr. Seneff.
View Quote

http://www.examiner.com/article/bogus-paper-on-roundup-saturates-the-internet

The MIT prof and Sarah both seem like greenie liberal idiots to me.  That not only makes zero economic sense and no practical sense, it's also probably highly illegal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abstract

Are you saying Celiac disease does not exist?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]
That sounds awfully expensive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, right.  No link.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

^^^

Okay, thanks, I can now eat my Super Bowl burger without the threat of death.  

View Quote

But stay away from the fries, they spray sulfuric acid on potatoes to make the harvest easier.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top