Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
I am tired of reading these stories and have had my fill of living one.  

Pay the fuck attention

http://www.odmp.org/media/image/officer/22360/oklahoma-trooper-nicholas-dees.jpgDees

The next link was my brother in law.     I'm still pissed and it will never stop.   Jay

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Florida has a move over or slow down law.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Tennessee, too.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
99% sure Indiana has one of those laws also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like that makes it any better.....With the drivers we have here it's tough shit roadways is being blocked by a suppression apparatus or 2.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Texan may drive like jackasses in general, but everyone is pretty good about moving over or slowing down here.

If you pass in the lane beside a LE car with flashing lights, you must slow down 20mph below the posted limit or you must move over a lane.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RIP

View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

As do a lot of states. Having drivers obey, adhere to it is another story.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tennessee, too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tennessee, too.

Oklahoma does too.  Law breakers and asshats gonna break laws and be asshats.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The suspect plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to seven days incarceration and five years probation.
View Quote

This burns my ass. I wonder if the suspect was a "not guilty" girl.

I would be in favor of Hammurabian punishment wrt unjustifiably killing public servants, whether it was on purpose or not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]

RIP Sir.

Sad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Ohio has the law too, not that it stopped assholes from blocking me when I worked as an EMT. Most saw me, some even flipped me off. I am surprised we don't have more accidents in this country.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem isn't speed, it is focus.  Too many distractions for drivers these days and we let just about anyone drive.  We need annual driver competency testing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
So does KY

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Ummmm......I do.  If I can, I pull into a parking lot, side road, etc.  if not, I pull over and stay put until emergency vehicle passes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do. IC 9-21-8-35

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We do. IC 9-21-8-35

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do. IC 9-21-8-35

We do. It didn't save my co-worker who was land surveying. Guy just kept driving home after killing him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Kansas has the same law, but you can't regulate stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i agree...people drive that fucking jackasses...its ridiculous

i got buzzed on the highway the other day....unreal
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am tired of reading these stories and have had my fill of living one.  

Pay the fuck attention

http://www.odmp.org/media/image/officer/22360/oklahoma-trooper-nicholas-dees.jpgDeeshttp://www.odmp.org/media/image/officer/22360/oklahoma-trooper-nicholas-dees.jpg

The next link was my brother in law.     I'm still pissed and it will never stop.   Jay

http://www.odmp.org/media/image/officer/17844/17844.jpg
View Quote

Jay was your BIL?

I grew up in Sikeston and went to school with Jay.  Still doesn't seem real.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missouri has that law. Asshats can't stand the test of their abilities. Checking a mirror and moving over is far too much to ask of a decent number of drivers these days. Minivans and compact cars are the worst offenders around here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
For the safety of all involved, stopping vehicles on a busy public street should not be allowed. The Officer should have the driver pull into a parking lot or side street.  For the life of me, I don't understand why OSHA hasn't come down on this practice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
The way some of the emergency guys around where I live drive are going to be the ones THAT CAUSE another freaking accident.

EVERYONE needs to be paying attention and focused on the damn road.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#24]
ok.... but can we get cop cars to turn d own the blinking lights? These new LED blinking lights are blindingly rediculous
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Most states have this law. Unfortunately all states have dangerous idiot drivers who don't understand why they need to slow down and move over.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have nearly been struck on several occasions while conducting traffic stop and assisting motorists. KY has a law that requires drivers to move over for emergency vehicles but most do not pay attention. Elderly drivers are the worst.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
No,  you don't need to slow down when you see an emergency vehicle.

You need to slow down and/or move the fuck over when you see an emergency vehicle with its beacons on.

Don't be that fucktard that slows way the fuck down because there's a cop in the next lane going slower than the speed limit, just cruising along.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]
It is a sad waste. Some idiot is always going to target fixate on the blinky lights though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Wish more people have common sense when it comes to stopping on a highway.  DON'T unless your vehicle is completely disabled, otherwise take the next exit to do your business - that includes EVERYONE.  I've seen idiots on both sides of this issue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
But if you do, then you are "Rubber Necking".
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Indiana does in fact have one
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I move over or slow down for every vehicle on the side of the road if at all possible, flashing lights or not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Tennessee, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tennessee, too.

As does OH and I vehemently support it.

Does anyone know if NC does?  Because I seem to be the only one who does it here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The problem isn't speed, it is focus.  Too many distractions for drivers these days and we let just about anyone drive.  We need annual driver competency testing.
View Quote

While I certainly feel bad for responders and LEO who have to work on the side of the road I think that is a poor idea.

RIP officers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#35]
NC has the slow down or move over law too like many other states.  It's reasonable and makes sense, yet if someone on ARFCOM gets charged with violating it, it would be cause for some type of injustice or something.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
AZ just passed the same last year. Not a whole lot of people know yet but it has been somewhat of a success from what I have seen. The more states that pass this and enforce it the better for everyone, even people broken down on the road.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#38]
MN has both in a way.
You are required to reduce to a reasonable speed when passing or approaching an emergency vehicle on the side of the road with its emergency lights on.
If you are on a roadway with two or more lanes you are required to allow one lane in between the vehicle when possible. But still required to reduce to a reasonable speed.

When the state makes its PSA's (radio, tv, news, etc) they say if you can't move over, slow down, which makes people think if they move over they don't have to slow down which is incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I do a fair amount of driving and it amazes me the amount of people that are oblivious to emergency/LEO vehicles

theres common sense required while driving and our driver training and testing doesnt seem to be able to compensate for lack of it
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#41]
On a recent return drive from Albuquerque to Las Vegas, I kept telling my co-worker to move over when we passed troopers on the side of the road.  After about the third one, he mentioned something about not liking side-seat drivers.  So the next one I saw coming up, well off the road, I didn't say anything.  I also didn't say anything about the other patrol sitting off the side of the entrance ramp about a hundred yards before the guy working in front of him.  Needless to say, we were pulled over by the Arizona Highway Patrol.     My co-worker got off with a warning, really lucky.  From what the supervisor/training officer said, the Move Over law is in all 50 states and D.C. now.  

Sorry for your loss, OP.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

As does Arizona
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#43]
While this is a very occurrence, I will never understand the logic of a traffic stop on the side of a busy road or any road where you can pull off at a safe spot. The side of a road is a very dangerous place, it just seems like an invite to trouble. I have seen stops in the left lane of a dual highway before. Why not pass a law to proceed to the closest safe place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#44]
aint no body got time for that

good way to catch  halligan in the fender
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Sad story.

I usually stop and help people change tires on the side of the road and I've always thought it was a matter of time before it all ends.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#46]
That's one of the few tickets, I won't cut a break on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ok.... but can we get cop cars to turn d own the blinking lights?
View Quote

Ours had no adjustment even though there was a factory option to allow to dim them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

So does Ohio (and MrsSubnet was actually pulled over for violating it, once).

It doesn't seem to matter, honestly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Shouldn't this apply to ALL cars on the side of the road, not just law enforcement?

I think the problem is more distracted drivers or target fixation than the speed.  Although a slower speed may give more reaction time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ohio has the law too, not that it stopped assholes from blocking me when I worked as an EMT. Most saw me, some even flipped me off. I am surprised we don't have more accidents in this country.
View Quote

You have got to be kidding. What kind of jerk DOES that? What is wrong with us as a people that some people even CONSIDER the "appropriate" reaction to emergency services working an accident scene to be barreling through the scene, flipping the EMTs off?

If only those "I am more important than anyone else" assholes could be branded with some sort of tattoo on their foreheads, so us normal people would not bother wasting EMT services (or anything else) on them when they will inevitably need some sort of life-saving (or any other) assistance (or at least they could be seen to LAST...well after all the other non-narcissistic sociopaths have been tended to).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top