Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:11:18 PM EDT

A while ago, my friend first took ill.  He had a 50 pound cancerous growth in his abdomen.  The cancer was not malignant; however, it literally choked his kidneys and damaged them.  As a result he is now on kidney dialysis.

The other day, Al had an MRI and they found another cancerous growth.  This one is right near his heart and major coronary arteries.  With my friend's precarious health, the doctors cannot remove the cancer. Removing the cancer would certainly kill my friend.  Even if he was otherwise young and strong, he would only have a 40 percent chance of surviving the surgery.

So, the cancer is going to grow and at a certain point, Al will have a fatal heart attack.  The cancer will literally choke his heart and kill him.

We don't know how long it will take.  A month, six months, a year--we don't know yet.

What a crappy way to die.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers for you and your friend and his family ,fluffy.

Spend as much time as you can with him and make his last days with you something you will remember forever.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers for you and your friend
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:The cancer was not malignant;
View Quote

You might want to consult a dictionary. all cancers (except the constellation in the sky) are malignant.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spend as much time as you can with him and make his last days with you something you will remember forever.
View Quote

It's hard because he is very unhappy.  But he is worried about his gun collection and we are going to help him with that.  He has some very nice guns and we are going to help him give them away while he is alive.

As for me, I really don't want any of his guns because I would never be able to enjoy them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You might want to consult a dictionary. all cancers (except the constellation in the sky) are malignant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

wow smart ass

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not a freaking doctor.  This kind of cancer doesn't spread throughout the body and it just grows where it is.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're empathy is inspiring.

Prayers to your friend Fluffy. I hope he has many pain free years
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am so sorry for you fluffy. If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to ask.  I'll will do my best to help. You deserve it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
That's terrible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
eta: beat
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow. We will pray for your friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My condolences. I'm not sure I would want to wait to go out like that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.

I'll pray for him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry, Fluffy  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]

I checked the Canadian Cancer Society website.  Al has a benign tumor.  According to the Canadian Cancer Society: 'benign tumours are non-cancerous. They rarely cause serious problems or threaten life unless they occur in a vital organ or grow very large and press on nearby tissues"

So Al has a large benign tumor that is pressing upon his heart and nearby coronary arteries.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's hard because he is very unhappy.  But he is worried about his gun collection and we are going to help him with that.  He has some very nice guns and we are going to help him give them away while he is alive.

As for me, I really don't want any of his guns because I would never be able to enjoy them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure you give them to people who will really appreciate the guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a  real friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]
At least he knows what's coming, and he can prepare his family and friends.  My thoughts are with him, you, and his family. I'm so sorry hear this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry Fluffy.   What about radiation and/or chemo?  How many opinions has he gotten?  Does he have the resources to go to MD Anderson (TX) or Memorial Sloan-Kettering (NYC)?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Lost my best friend to cancer. When he was 35.

Surgeries, chemo, it was painful to watch him go through it.

Just do your best to be there for him. You won't get a second chance to be his friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

good luck with your Asperger's.
sorry about your friend, Fluffy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Prayers sent ....

Very sorry to hear about your friend. He is lucky to have you and you lucky to have him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Fluffy,

Be there for your friend as much as you can. His memory will live on forever with you, always remember the good times NEVER dwell on the bad. Losing a close friend in this way really sucks,

My condolences .

Snert..
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Prayers out. Very sad to hear
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Fluffy.
Thoughts and prayers out for him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to hear this man, cancer in all its forms really sucks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Prayers for your friend and his family and friends.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

gtfo
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear about your friend, Fluffy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry about your friend, Fluffy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
After dealing with dialysis patients for a good while as an EMT I don't think I could do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry man
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sorry, true friends are hard to come by.  I wish the docs could fix him.  I hope he doesn't suffer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Good luck to him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn sometimes life is just so unfair. Stay strong for him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You are a  real friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a  real friend.

And as such I think you should have something of his to cherish. Although I understand it may be a painful reminder.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear that Op.
Praying for you and your friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#39]
My thoughts are with you OP and your friend
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

GTFO

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry Fluffy, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
sorry to hear OP

that is a terrible way to die
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm sorry about your friend, even though you feel you won't enjoy any of his guns. If he insist on you having one, take it. You'll regret it later. It would be a nice keepsake from him.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend, Fluffy.
Prayers to your friend and his family.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
At least he knows what's coming, and he can prepare his family and friends.  My thoughts are with him, you, and his family. I'm so sorry hear this.
View Quote

Yup.

I think I would get my final affairs in order, tell my family and friends how much I love them, check at least one more item off the bucket list, then find a Doctor who is willing to give the surgery a go.  Just waiting around for the inevitable would be WAAAAAAAAAY to hard for me to do without losing my sanity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, Fluffy. Sorry for you and your friend. Prayers out and I hope you have plenty of time to say goodbye.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sorry Fluffy.   What about radiation and/or chemo?  How many opinions has he gotten?  Does he have the resources to go to MD Anderson (TX) or Memorial Sloan-Kettering (NYC)?
View Quote

Wouldn't he rather have the surgery and go down fighting?

Seems like a terrible way to go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Al has a 40% chance of surviving with the surgery and a 100% chance of dying soon without it.

I'd go for the surgery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top