[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EEEEEE
View Quote

Fucking dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I got out in 86.............so I am sure the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is free to the .gov!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hearing loss is generally tough luck. Tinnitus is a different animal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I lost hearing when I was in.  VA told me tough luck back in 95, never went back.

Hearing loss is generally tough luck. Tinnitus is a different animal.
I don't have Tinnitus, thankfully.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tinnitus is a 10% disability.

If you're a combat vet and say the magic words, you'll get SC virtually automatically.

I'm SC for it.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
whats the magic words for a vn vet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Diabetes, and everything associated with it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same as for any other combat vet

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag, and good fucking luck.

The Navy essentially told me to take a hike even though I had serious, documented hearing loss at the time of my EAS.
View Quote

They did this in the 90's for pretty much all services.

"We made ear plugs available, eat a dick"
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I got nothing for my tinnitus.

I had worse hearing when I came in the Navy than when I retired.

Running chainsaws with no hearing protection when I was young was worse than 20+ years on the flight line with double hearing protection.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

this

id have 40% (total) if i went after it ... but was basically told i was a lying piece of shit at the VA hospital during my screening by a muslim doctor 3 months after me EAS (4 months after coming home)

fuck them and the VA .. with a dirty fucking horse dick covered in peanut laden shit ..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy essentially told me to take a hike even though I had serious, documented hearing loss at the time of my EAS.

This.

this

id have 40% (total) if i went after it ... but was basically told i was a lying piece of shit at the VA hospital during my screening by a muslim doctor 3 months after me EAS (4 months after coming home)

fuck them and the VA .. with a dirty fucking horse dick covered in peanut laden shit ..

I have only one question, did you use a Veterans Service Organization or did you go to the VA by your lonesome?  I am 100% and I used a VSO.  I cringe every time I hear a vet tell me they are going to the VA to file when they should be sitting down with a Service Officer and letting them do the work, and fight the fights you have neither the patience nor time to do.  Oh, and by law, its a free service.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got out in 84, and have had zero contact with the mil since then. Will they look back to a previously un-acknowledged injury and rule, or is it dust in the wind?

How would one go about it?
View Quote

Go see one of the service organizations and they will basically file for you.  I think I went to the AMVETS office at the local VA and they helped me file my claim from day one of retirement.  I supplied copies of medical records and they did everything else.  It was simple.  After a while I received appointments to get checked out by the VA - go to the appointments and after that received a letter stating my ratings for different things claimed.  

Main point is:
Don't file the claim by yourself when there are service organizations with offices right there in the VA who will be glad to help you for free.  They do these claims all day long and have worked there for years.  They are the experts, let them help you.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have only one question, did you use a Veterans Service Organization or did you go to the VA by your lonesome?  I am 100% and I used a VSO.  I cringe every time I hear a vet tell me they are going to the VA to file when they should be sitting down with a Service Officer and letting them do the work, and fight the fights you have neither the patience nor time to do.  Oh, and by law, its a free service.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

this

no idea what that is... so no..  i filled out papers,, got an apt . went to the va...  left in a fury of rage and haven't been back since..

my ceps and taps class portion that dealt with the VA had all of 4 minutes worth of "fill out papers and see what happens, good luck"  

this occurred in '05 '06 time frame...

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So if it shows up 10 years later you should file?  I was in armor and have tinnitus 24/7
View Quote
I think there has to been some evidence of it while on AD, but I may be wrong.

Something written by the PA or doc where you mentioned to doc.

A downward shift in hearing may also be proof, even it your hearing doesn't meet threshold for a rating, it does indicated damage to the ear.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

no idea what that is... so no..  i filled out papers,, got an apt . went to the va...  left in a fury of rage and haven't been back since..

my ceps and taps class portion that dealt with the VA had all of 4 minutes worth of "fill out papers and see what happens, good luck"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

this

Take the advice of the people here. DO NOT deal with the VA directly. There are a whole bunch of Veterans Service Organizations. Go to them and tell them your situation. It's what they do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I got a 10% rating for it.  I'm fairly lucky, as my tinnitus is intermittent, and isn't always there.  It still strikes me as odd that tinnitus, which they didn't examine for at all, got rated, while my hearing loss, which is pronounced and was clearly attested to by the audiologist they sent me to, was not.
View Quote

Nearly constant in my left ear, like a 707 throttling up for takeoff, gets even worse when I get tired, or at least seems more noticeable.  I have to have background noise to sleep, either radio, TV, AC unit.  Mine started from a .357 being fired right next to my ear, right after I took off my headset, dude thought it would be funny.  Got worse after nearly 10yrs as a Mortar Maggot, being an Assistant Gunner, kept one ear plug in, left one side out to hear fire commands, FDC data etc.  Drop the round and try to cover the ear before the round fired (81mm and 4.2).

But I fudged my ETS physical in order to try to get a slot with HHD 5/19SFG, so I can't claim anything.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

this

http://www.va.gov/vso/

That is to the directory of them.  There are a bunch.  

My local VA has a hallway with offices for several right there in the VA.  On my first day of retirement I went to the VA wandered into the AMVETS office and told them I just retired and could use some help.  They pretty much took over from there. It was just that simple.  You need to give it another try but pick one of the VSO's and let them take the lead.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad one of the p-ways we had to walk through 30x a day probably had 125db worth of HVAC fan noise.  If we had complied with the letter of the regs and stopped to put earpro in everytime before we stepped in and stopped to take it out at the other end, we probably would have ended up in front of the Chief's mess for "being a smartass and wasting time".
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
WHAT?

They told me to eat shit, despite losing most of the hearing in my left ear and constant ringing in both. Arty sims to the face will really do wonders for your ears and sinuses. I was medically retired at 60%, but not a bit for hearing issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not by the VA.

It's been in the Rating Schedule since 1945 and has always been 10%.

Your understanding of your rating not correct.

If they did rate you SC 0% then you need to file for "Clear and Unmistakable Error" and get a retroactive check for 10 percent back to 1975.

I'm guessing that'd be about $50K if you're not SC for other stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0% rating for it back in 1975

They'd let me borrow a hearing aid but when I die my widow has to return it to them.

Not by the VA.

It's been in the Rating Schedule since 1945 and has always been 10%.

Your understanding of your rating not correct.

If they did rate you SC 0% then you need to file for "Clear and Unmistakable Error" and get a retroactive check for 10 percent back to 1975.

I'm guessing that'd be about $50K if you're not SC for other stuff.

THIS
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
10% on tinnitus. Service connected for hearing loss. I did get hearing aids and the VA picked up the tab. I am thinking of trying to get a higher rating but don't feel like dealing with the VA. My tinnitus is constant and it blows
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Get online to ebenefits and file a claim.

Get a POA (I recommend a GOOD one) and have them do it.

Go to your local office and do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got out in 84, and have had zero contact with the mil since then. Will they look back to a previously un-acknowledged injury and rule, or is it dust in the wind?

Wow, that site is government as fuck
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are a combat vet, it is consistent with the rigors of combat service and they have to take your word for it's incurrence.

which i am

the weirdest part.. my VA Id card has printed under my picture , Service connected disability....    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
File a disability claim through your vfw. It's pretty much an instant 10 percent of you were around loud things. Easy.

what the shelf life?  don't they tell you to suck a dick if you go back after a certain time has elapsed?

If you are a combat vet, it is consistent with the rigors of combat service and they have to take your word for it's incurrence.

which i am

the weirdest part.. my VA Id card has printed under my picture , Service connected disability....    

Combat service is irrelevant. They can't test for it (at least not up through 1992, not sure about now). I was getting evaluated for high frequency hearing loss which rates 0% because as the doctor put it "You were issued earplugs in Basic Training so it's your own fault". She said it might get better over time, so I asked if the ringing would go away too. I'd never heard of tinnitus, didn't know anything about it. She said "Oh that's different" and was automatically rated 10%. I was rated 20% total for other injuries.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WHAT?

They told me to eat shit, despite losing most of the hearing in my left ear and constant ringing in both. Arty sims to the face will really do wonders for your ears and sinuses. I was medically retired at 60%, but not a bit for hearing issues.
View Quote

A kid from my high school was a tanker in Desert Storm. He drove over a mine and had complete hearing loss on one ear. He got a 0% rating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a 10% disability but no hearing aid.  Got tired of the run around and just gave up.  Spent 25 years in the navy working the flight deck (AvOrd) or Rifle & Pistol ranges on shore duty.  When I first worked the flight deck (1958) we didn't have ear pro, same with the range.  F-8 Crusaders weren't loud on burner I guess.  .45 cases stuck in your ear were all we had at the range.  Got ear plugs for the flight deck in the late 50's and ear's around 1960.  I have 90 % loss in my left ear and 50% loss in the right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The .mil says my hearing is good, but my ears are ringing a lot lately. time to make an appt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

this

The only one that is uniformly good, IMO, is DAV.

The rest, ALG, VFW, MPOH, VVA, etc., are all well meaning know nothings who fuck shit up more than they help.  IMO.

There are good ones with the other VSO's, but it's a crapshoot.

With DAV it isn't a crapshoot.  You'll get a good one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not looking for a paycheck, but at some point I am going to need hearing aids, and if Uncle Army would foot the bill, I would not feel too guilty since I can pin the date, time, and culpability on Drill Sergeant Faision, who made us remove our earpro on the Live fire & Maneuver Range in AIT, so we could " hear my commands".
View Quote

So you haven't been around any loud noise since basic training?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Combat service is irrelevant. They can't test for it (at least not up through 1992, not sure about now). I was getting evaluated for high frequency hearing loss which rates 0% because as the doctor put it "You were issued earplugs in Basic Training so it's your own fault". She said it might get better over time, so I asked if the ringing would go away too. I'd never heard of tinnitus, didn't know anything about it. She said "Oh that's different" and was automatically rated 10%. I was rated 20% total for other injuries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

File a disability claim through your vfw. It's pretty much an instant 10 percent of you were around loud things. Easy.

what the shelf life?  don't they tell you to suck a dick if you go back after a certain time has elapsed?

which i am

Reel that back highspeed.

Because you're correcting a lawyer who also rated claims for 7 years.

1. Do you know the legal definition of relevance? (is probative for a material fact at issue, meaning it makes it more or less likely)

2. Do you know that VA must accept a combat veteran's statement of incurrance, even if not in the record, if the disability is consistent with the rigours of combat service?

If you know neither 1 or 2, stop running your internet trap because you're putting out bad poop.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I was a jet engine mechanic.  Spent years working one foot from running jet engines.  I have hearing damage and tinnitus.  I went to a hearing specialist to see if they could do anything and they had me send some documentation to the VA.  

I got my paperwork back and it said there was no way to prove it happened in the military.  Shezam.  Oh well I'll pay for my own hearing aids.  Background noise (radio, fan) will help at night.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Funny that.

The asbestos exposure note in my medical record disappeared as well when I rotated home.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#31]
My dil is a va caseworker, the ones that review the record and do the final assignment of disability.  She justvtold me tinnitus is a very common scd.  There are ww2 vets claiming now for the first time.  Do not give up.  Especially if you have a copy of your medical records from ad.  If it shows a
drop in hearing.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tinnitus sucks, but it is not a disability.
View Quote

You are wrong.

Tinnitus blocks my hearing in several frequency ranges and disrupts my hearing comprehension of the spoken word.

I have great difficulty understanding of the spoken word in noisy environments.

When I am working accidents, and interior operations in structure fires, where you are trying to hear critical radio transmissions over the sound of the fire, water spraying, air rushing into your mask from your air pak, or machinery running, it is a dangerous, life threatening disability.

So far it hasn't cost me anything, except pissing the Chief off for ignoring his orders.

But one day it could.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not looking for a paycheck, but at some point I am going to need hearing aids, and if Uncle Army would foot the bill, I would not feel too guilty since I can pin the date, time, and culpability on Drill Sergeant Faision, who made us remove our earpro on the Live fire & Maneuver Range in AIT, so we could " hear my commands".

Lot's, but my hearing was severely damaged in the military, and hearing loss is cumulative. They gave me my early start at 19. I can remember the day, and the week of rocking back and forth in my bunk, holding my ears.

ETA;

Thanks to all of you who provided good, useful information.

This place rocks!

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE            EEEEEEEEEEEEEE   EEE                                                                         EE

Mosul 2003,living next to a 50K gen set  when I could try to catch an hour or two rack time.  
a couple of close IDF hits did not help either  
SC for tinnitus 10%  0% for hearing loss-loss but not "VA" levels
(rigors of military service-I have been an "O" since 1997-not too rigorous military service  compared to peacetime SSG medic in an Armor BN)
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lot's, but my hearing was severely damaged in the military, and hearing loss is cumulative. They gave me my early start at 19. I can remember the day, and the week of rocking back and forth in my bunk, holding my ears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your only exposure to loud noise in the military was in basic training?  What was your job in the military?  Sounds like you were in one of the between tax free vacation reserve components thus have only basic training experience to tie to "service connected" tinnitus.

and, yes hearing loss can be cumulative.  Good luck with your claim.

FWIW, the part in red sounds a bit melodramatic.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Good question. Ever since having a guy fire an M72 LAW off right next to me in an alley I have had it off and on. Now its always on. I never got it looked at because I figured there was nothing they could do for it. The knee I injured on a jump (documented because I was a broke dick because of it for a month) is pretty much always fing with me now too. I cannot run at all and going down stairs kills it.

Last time I went t the VA I was told come back in 6 months. Shit I waited 4 months just to get told come back in 6? I go back and thee are dudes with missing limbs and shit and all I did was fuck up a landing on a runway on a jump. I walked out. Felt like a lowlife trying to get seen while guys are legit permanently crippled.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So your only exposure to loud noise in the military was in basic training?  What was your job in the military?  Sounds like you were in one of the between tax free vacation reserve components thus have only basic training experience to tie to "service connected" tinnitus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I was a peacetime reservist, 11B, not a combat vet, which is why I have not added a Tank to my avatar, Combat Vets deserve the recognition. I spent 6 years in the reserves, all of it in a Recon Platoon that had 8 M-60s, I was either on one or AG during most of that time.

And yes, a lifetime of shooting and 20+ years of working in the Fire Service have certainly added to the damage to my hearing.

None of which changes the fact that an idiot Drill Sergeant caused me to sustain sever damage to my ears, which is what I was trying to relate in my " melodramatic " post.

I haven't made a claim, and probably won't, I am just gathering intel. But if I get to the point of needing hearing aids, I might.

I cannot understand why this concerns you so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#39]
If you're still in get it documented.  Put it on any screening forms each and every time you get screened by medical, go to a check up, a physical, a hearing test etc.

Get a consult at audiology and ENT and get a thorough check of your hearing.  Get hearing aids while you're still in if you need them.  Get audiology to get you a new pair right before you EAS/retire.  VA will only get you new ones every 5 years and the clock starts when you register the hearing aides with the VA, not when you got them.  

There's 5 or 6 specific frequencies that they look at your decibel loss on your last audio gram as compared to your original audio gram you got upon entry into the service.  Make sure you have this original audio gram.  Make a copy of it now (in fact your entire medical record).  Ensure you get an audiogram as part of your final physical. This is the one VA will use for comparison (along with one you will take from an independent Audioligist the VA will send you to as part of the claim process)

You can look up the hearing loss rating information on line in the VA's manual.

You can have bad hearing loss, but if it isn't in the freqs in the VA rating manual with the corresponding decibel loss, you're not going to get rated for it. This is why many with documented hearing loss get little or no rating.

As with any service connected medical issues, documentation is a must and don't wait to file a claim after you are discharged.  Do it prior to EAS/retirement.

<------SEVERE service connected hearing loss. I'm effectively deaf without my hearing aides.

Wear your hearing protection people. What you lose never comes back and it's cumulative over time and will sneak up on you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I cannot understand why this concerns you so.
View Quote

It doesn't concern me.  More amusing than anything.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A kid from my high school was a tanker in Desert Storm. He drove over a mine and had complete hearing loss on one ear. He got a 0% rating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHAT?

Jesus. The military is fucking broken. I got 30% for two crushed vertebrae and 30% for a severed MCL that's retracted up into my thigh. If I got that much, how the hell can a guy go deaf in an ear and get nothing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Military Tinnitus Sufferers
View Quote

Holy shit, there's military grade tinnitus now??? I knew some warped motherfucker would weaponize it eventually.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Holy shit, there's military grade tinnitus now??? I knew some warped motherfucker would weaponize it eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Military Tinnitus Sufferers

lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Jesus. The military is fucking broken. I got 30% for two crushed vertebrae and 30% for a severed MCL that's retracted up into my thigh. If I got that much, how the hell can a guy go deaf in an ear and get nothing?
View Quote

I have a buddy who is 80%.

Spent all of Desert Storm in Turkey. How did he get it? The doc or whoever was Dominican, as was my buddy. The guy gave him the rating and my buddy didn't ask for or bitch about shit. Told him, Dominicans take care of each other.  Hell the dude didn't even get the shits over there,
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it is fucked all right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Can you be recommended for MEB with hearing impaired SC hearing loss?  If so, what percentage of base pay is awarded?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#48]
10% service connected hearing loss. 20 Years on the flight line destroyed my hearing. Documented tinnitus but the 10% was for loss of high pitch hearing. The tinnitus is a pain in the ass but I've sorta got used to it by now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#49]
You get used to it. Falling asleep with ambient noise or being physically exhausted helps tremendously. Not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Too bad one of the p-ways we had to walk through 30x a day probably had 125db worth of HVAC fan noise.  If we had complied with the letter of the regs and stopped to put earpro in everytime before we stepped in and stopped to take it out at the other end, we probably would have ended up in front of the Chief's mess for "being a smartass and wasting time".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ain't lying...  There is a fuckton of noise onboard a ship -- I got to work in a shop directly under where they ran the COD for half an hour before it took off and after it landed two to five times a day every fucking day for six months -- that was fun.  

Fan rooms, ECW pump rooms, 400hz hum in radar transmitter rooms...   In the last three years, I've noticed a significant decrease in my ability to hear, especially human  voice frequencies.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top