Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2015 3:53:51 PM EDT
Vets with tinnitus, a question:

What do you know about tinnitus disability?

I was having a conversation with an acquaintance the other day and we got on the subject, he stated that getting a Tinnitus disability was almost as simple as applying and verifying your service.

I'm not looking for a paycheck, but at some point I am going to need hearing aids, and if Uncle Army would foot the bill, I would not feel too guilty since I can pin the date, time, and culpability on Drill Sergeant Faision, who made us remove our earpro on the Live fire & Maneuver Range in AIT, so we could " hear my commands".

I was the AG on the 60; I couldn't hear his commands, or anything else, for more than a week. I was in physical pain, deaf, and went on sick call to try to get relief for my ears, It's been a downhill ride from there.

So; any truth to that story? Anyone get a tinnitus disability from the service?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag, and good fucking luck.

The Navy essentially told me to take a hike even though I had serious, documented hearing loss at the time of my EAS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Navy essentially told me to take a hike even though I had serious, documented hearing loss at the time of my EAS.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for interest as well. Mine comes from flightline noise and working the range.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a 10% rating for it.  I'm fairly lucky, as my tinnitus is intermittent, and isn't always there.  It still strikes me as odd that tinnitus, which they didn't examine for at all, got rated, while my hearing loss, which is pronounced and was clearly attested to by the audiologist they sent me to, was not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
View Quote
One of my ears does that.  The other has gets a hissing, kind of like a noise cancelling earphone.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
A fan is my friend when I am trying to get to sleep.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
0% rating for it back in 1975

They'd let me borrow a hearing aid but when I die my widow has to return it to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Tinnitus is a 10% disability.

If you're a combat vet and say the magic words, you'll get SC virtually automatically.

I'm SC for it.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
9 months and waiting to see if the VA will get off their collective ass about service-connected hearing loss .

Mine is not combat-related, just loud equipment blowers and an occasional jet engine.  

Oh yes and the obligatory:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

this

id have 40% (total) if i went after it ... but was basically told i was a lying piece of shit at the VA hospital during my screening by a muslim doctor 3 months after me EAS (4 months after coming home)

fuck them and the VA .. with a dirty fucking horse dick covered in peanut laden shit ..

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
File a disability claim through your vfw. It's pretty much an instant 10 percent of you were around loud things. Easy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to sleep with a dehumidifier, if I can get away with it.  

If I go to bed other than dog tired, I can't sleep without some ambient noise in the background.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

File a disability claim through your vfw. It's pretty much an instant 10 percent of you were around loud things. Easy.
View Quote

what the shelf life?  don't they tell you to suck a dick if you go back after a certain time has elapsed?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to sleep with a dehumidifier, if I can get away with it.  

If I go to bed other than dog tired, I can't sleep without some ambient noise in the background.

I've got a white noise app on my phone for when I'm not somewhere with a fan or something else to mask the sound.  I can hear that crap as I'm typing this and it isn't exactly quiet here.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

0%
rating for it back in 1975

They'd let me borrow a hearing aid but when I die my widow has to return it to them.
View Quote

Not by the VA.

It's been in the Rating Schedule since 1945 and has always been 10%.

Your understanding of your rating not correct.

If they did rate you SC 0% then you need to file for "Clear and Unmistakable Error" and get a retroactive check for 10 percent back to 1975.

I'm guessing that'd be about $50K if you're not SC for other stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What is SC?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
For everyone still in, document, document, document.  

WEAR YOUR EARPRO!!!   I used to hate wearing it, but now EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what the shelf life?  don't they tell you to suck a dick if you go back after a certain time has elapsed?

If you are a combat vet, it is consistent with the rigors of combat service and they have to take your word for it's incurrence.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is SC?

View Quote

Service connected.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are a combat vet, it is consistent with the rigors of combat service and they have to take your word for it's incurrence.

which i am

the weirdest part.. my VA Id card has printed under my picture , Service connected disability....    

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

For everyone still in with, document, document, document.  

WEAR YOUR EARPRO!!!   I used to hate wearing it, but now EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
View Quote
You know, it's funny, but I didn't know that tinnitus could even be intermittent until the briefing by the VA guy as I was prepping for retirement.  Always thought that since the "eeeeeeee" and the hissing came and went, and wasn't constant, that I didn't have tinnitus.  I had literally NO documentation of it at all prior to putting in the claim form, and got the rating without any problems.  I didn't expect that.

But yeah, document.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which i am

the weirdest part.. my VA Id card has printed under my picture , Service connected disability....    

Get a copy of your rating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Buy a cheap box fan. Wear a foam roll up earplug when you go out. EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you are like me you won't get squat from the VA. My claim took two years to go through. Documented hearing loss, documented back injury, both denied. Currently on appeal. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I filed my claim in 2011, guess I'll sleep next to a box fan and eat ibuprofen until my stomach rots out until something changes. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks dumbass
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Buy a cheap box fan. Wear a foam roll up earplug when you go out. EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you are like me you won't get squat from the VA. My claim took two years to go through. Documented hearing loss, documented back injury, both denied. Currently on appeal. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I filed my claim in 2011, guess I'll sleep next to a box fan and eat ibuprofen until my stomach rots out until something changes. Good luck OP.
View Quote

There's hearing loss and then there's hearing loss for VA purposes.  From memory (haven't rated a case since I left VA in 07) If it's over 4000mhz or under 500mhz, even if it's hearing loss, it's not hearing loss per the reg.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which i am

how do i do that?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which i am

how do i do that?  

Request it in writing from the Regional Office where you are.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My EAS was 2008 and I have the 10% and a combined 50% overall. The fact that I couldn't have associated SC with "service connected" is just further proof that I'm losing my ability to remeber the simplest shit. Very depressing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
The army I was in had no earpro or earplugs.
What a bunch of pussies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What a bunch of pussies.
View Quote

You didn't have FBCB2 either.  But would you suggest giving it up now?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What a bunch of pussies.
View Quote

Cigarette butts worked in a pinch for us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
A few years back I worked with a Vietnam Vet who as an artillery guy.

He always thought it was funny that the VA would pay for his hearing aid batteries, but never the hearing aid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

this

id have 40% (total) if i went after it ... but was basically told i was a lying piece of shit at the VA hospital during my screening by a muslim doctor 3 months after me EAS (4 months after coming home)

fuck them and the VA .. with a dirty fucking horse dick covered in peanut laden shit ..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

this

I once made the mistake of talking to the VA about my concerns of mental well being and was told the same thing...."just fuck off and die."  But, its the VA, what do you expect, its all government bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Its as close to automatic as it can be.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if not a combat vet, very possibly in line with your job as well, which also comes into play.  The threshold for tinnitus is very low.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#38]
So if it shows up 10 years later you should file?  I was in armor and have tinnitus 24/7
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not by the VA.

If they did rate you SC 0% then you need to file for "Clear and Unmistakable Error" and get a retroactive check for 10 percent back to 1975.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not by the VA.

Serious they gave me 0% for combat hearing loss & tinnitus I am service connected for other stuff.

And the hearing people at Zablocki told me they would "lend" me a hearing aid but my widow would have to return it to them after I died.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I got out in 84, and have had zero contact with the mil since then. Will they look back to a previously un-acknowledged injury and rule, or is it dust in the wind?

How would one go about it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And if not a combat vet, very possibly in line with your job as well, which also comes into play.  The threshold for tinnitus is very low.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just thinking of dealing with the VA again gives me anxiety ...   fuck it   .. its not worth the $40 a month  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tinnitus is a 10% disability.

If you're a combat vet and say the magic words, you'll get SC virtually automatically.

I'm SC for it.  
View Quote

this tinnitus is 10%

BUT you can claim a secondary claim due to it and get it jacked up.

I.E. Because of my tinnitus I have sleep issues

or because of my tinnitus I have problems concentrating

or because of it I get headaches etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Serious they gave me 0% for combat hearing loss & tinnitus I am service connected for other stuff.

And the hearing people at Zablocki told me they would "lend" me a hearing aid but my widow would have to return it to them after I died.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not by the VA.

I'd like to see your rating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got out in 84, and have had zero contact with the mil since then. Will they look back to a previously un-acknowledged injury and rule, or is it dust in the wind?

How would one go about it?
View Quote

Get online to ebenefits and file a claim.

Get a POA (I recommend a GOOD one) and have them do it.

Go to your local office and do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I lost hearing when I was in.  VA told me tough luck back in 95, never went back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I lost hearing when I was in.  VA told me tough luck back in 95, never went back.
View Quote

Hearing loss is generally tough luck. Tinnitus is a different animal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Tinnitus sucks, but it is not a disability.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#48]
I just started taking something called Vinpocetine for mine (because of a thread I read here) and I really hope it works. You guys might want to read up on it. It's cheap and it apparently works for some people.
For some reason mine has gotten really loud in the last month.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
thanks dumbass
View Quote

Ditto.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Once you have it, live with it.  Nothing you can do about tinnitus.  There are pills you can take that essentially clear up the estachian tube...but thats about it.  There's no cure.

Once you fuck your hearing, that's it.  It's fucked.  That's why your company's safety guy comes around and tells you to put your plugs in.  Those that think its dumb or that their too tough to do it are the ones that are kicking themselves in the ass suffering with hearing loss later in life.  Fucking stupid.  Really fucking stupid.  

Lawnmowers, power tools, boats, motorcycles...it will all ruin your hearing if you're not protecting yourself.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top