Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cocked locked and ready to rock
View Quote

Me too,with a stack of mags nearby.
View Quote

...can't tell if this is a serious post or not.  Get into 45min firefights while taking cover behind your bed often?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since it doesn't have fire pin block, so I figure it's not safe to keep a round in the chamber
I have full mag in, empty chamber, closed bolt, safety off
when there's need, rack slide and ready to go
stop, then safety on
when put it away, empty chamber and safety off

by the way, why ar15 can't put safety on unless it's cocked? design issue?
View Quote

You do know that when you pull and release the charging handle to chamber a round, the firing pin hits the primer hard enough to dent it, right? There is a much bigger chance of the round going off when you let go of the charging handle than there is when it's already loaded and the pin can float.
View Quote

i don't think so, when BCG moves forward, the round moves with the BCG with same speed, so what hits the primer is the relative speed of firing pin minus BCG speed, that's usually much less (if it's even greater than 0) than what hits the primer when BCG/round is stationary in closed bolt case

in other words, when you chamber a round, the primer is running away from the firing pin, which makes the hit less hard than when bullet/primer is stationary
View Quote

I assume the FP would be pushed back as the bolt slams forward, and then when the bolt comes to a sudden stop the FP slams forward onto the chambered cartridge. Still, if there were a chance of this causing the primer to blow we'd have tons of reports of misfires at the gun range of from military guys. I always load my mags with the bolt locked open (especially after reloading a new mag at the range), and then release the bolt.

I'm fairly certain that all standard ammo has hard enough primers (I.e CCI #41) that the issue is mute. If you load you lr own ammo with cheap SRP's, then you better be more cautious though. Glad to here others thoughts/experiences though.
View Quote

yes you are right when bullet stops at the chamber, the speed of the firing pin hit is about the end speed of the BCG, let's call it X. it doesn't change for your gun (if your gun/ammo combo won't slam fire, then it most likely will never slam fire)

when the gun drops muzzle down, if the gun's speed right before it hits the ground and stops is called Y, that's what hits the primer, if Y is greater than X, then it will make a deeper dent.

since Y depends on how high you drop the rifle, or how hard rifle get bumped, it varies, it could be much bigger than X and cause AD, that's why keep a round in the chamber is risky
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

...can't tell if this is a serious post or not.  Get into 45min firefights while taking cover behind your bed often?
View Quote

If it happens I'll be ready,will you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yes. With my 9mm handgun or 12 gauge shotgun. Just can't see an AR as a good up close and personal indoor weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yes. With my 9mm handgun or 12 gauge shotgun. Just can't see an AR as a good up close and personal indoor weapon.
View Quote

I've got everything from 10.5 -20" in 5.56 & shotguns and pistols at my whim.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
1 in the chamber, 27 or 19 in the mag, safety on.  

I seriously have to question why anyone would choose to use a pistol or a shotgun whe an AR is available.  

Pistols are small to carry on the belt.  That's all they're good for.  

Shotguns are for blasting locks, less than lethal rounds, and bird hunting.  That's all they're good for.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted for maximum derp
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted for maximum derp
View Quote

Quoted to a maximum dope.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted for maximum derp
View Quote

Quoted to a maximum dope.
View Quote

Quoted for a perpetual pope.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
100 round Beta-C mag loaded, one in the chamber, safety off, keep it under the blanket in my daughters crib cuz the popo aint going to looks in there!  

I also did that lighten your trigger in 5 minutes at no charge mod... OH wow! It's practically like full auto now. Even if I take my finger off the trigger, it fires til the mags dry!

Reference! ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/666658_Lighten_your_trigger_pull_in_5_minutes_____at_NO_charge.html&page=1

View Quote

Now that's funny
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
100 round Beta-C mag loaded, one in the chamber, safety off, keep it under the blanket in my daughters crib cuz the popo aint going to looks in there!  

I also did that lighten your trigger in 5 minutes at no charge mod... OH wow! It's practically like full auto now. Even if I take my finger off the trigger, it fires til the mags dry!

Reference! ;)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/666658_Lighten_your_trigger_pull_in_5_minutes_____at_NO_charge.html&page=1

View Quote

Now that's funny
View Quote

I guess I was wrong!!! AR's do make great home defense weapons after all. Sorry about that. I have a filntlock musket just like that. Every time I pull the trigger it fires 'till the mag is empty. Love it!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I seriously have to question why anyone would choose to use a pistol or a shotgun whe an AR is available.  

Shotguns are for blasting locks, less than lethal rounds, and bird hunting.  That's all they're good for.
View Quote

I haven't had my coffee yet..... can't tell if trolling.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Cleaned and lightly oiled
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Unloaded and locked up. I have a loaded G19 and an attack cat for home defense.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
My bedside guns are my edc Glock 19 and an AR-15. Both are fully loaded and chambered.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
In safe, mag inserted, empty chamber.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that's why our military's most elite door-kickers use a 9mm and shotgun.

Oh wait, they don't. They use suppressed SBR's for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]
In pieces, in seperate states.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he be trolling? There's no reason to use a shotgun or handgun if you have a quality AR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]
At the bottom of a lake.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Locked in the safe, unloaded  

My AR is not my HD weapon
View Quote

this..

and in regard to the firing pin thing, jeesh, that would take a fuck ton of force if the bolt/carrier are forward - use milsurp ammo if you are that concerned since they have harder primers.

I had a FAL go bang on closure of the bolt once, but that involved the forward momentum of the entire bolt / bolt carrier, and also involved a defective firing pin channel spring.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it smell like goats were slaughtered under this bridge?

He's trolling, not very well either. I laugh at the guys who say "only good for birds".
I guess after three hundred years being the go to for deer, bear, and dangerous people the shotgun was suddenly relegated to the scrap heap by the AR.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Full mag inserted, empty chamber. If something comes up, just gotta rip the charging handle back and she's ready to go.
View Quote

That noise would give my position away and what if, just what if it failed to pick up the round etc.
One in the pipe, safety on for me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#25]
being that it isn't a concealed weapon, or a vehicle weapon, and is just my bedside rifle, i dont see the drop-fire "issue" as an actual issue, practically speaking (for me)

I keep it with a round chambered, full mag inserted, spare mag next to it (to throw in my pocket) and have 10 loaded mags at all times.

I consider myself to be "out of ammo" from a stockpile standpoint if i have less than 15 mags worth ready.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Empty chamber with a loaded mag inserted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I keep mine sliding down the driveway

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why do you carry a gun? are you planning to kill somebody?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He's trolling, not very well either. I laugh at the guys who say "only good for birds".
I guess after three hundred years being the go to for deer, bear, and dangerous people the shotgun was suddenly relegated to the scrap heap by the AR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, shotguns still work.  They just aren't the optimal choice for home defense for anyone who owns a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Doolinbody.png

You could post a picture of someone stabbed too.  Doesn't make a knife the best choice either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I keep my ar in good ''condition'', clean, lubed, pretty, and ready to ruin an intruders life!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh, shotguns still work.  They just aren't the optimal choice for home defense for anyone who owns a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep a SBR (loaded mag,empty Chamber), a 870(loaded chamber safety on), and a glock 23 (loaded chamber)at the bedside. The longest possible shot in my house is about 45 ft. It would require them to be standing in the front hall on the very side of the hall and me shooting from the bedroom door against the wall. At very short ranges I'm faster on target with the shotgun or the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

isn't that dangerous, if it drops it could fire, free float firing pin and all that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocked locked and ready to go,

isn't that dangerous, if it drops it could fire, free float firing pin and all that

I / we don't have ANY firearm, not in the safes, not loaded AND chambered. It's like you guys who carry BUT unchambered, why?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I use to sleep peacefully ubtil I started reading GD and I found out I needed an AR to defend my home.
Now everytime I roll over my chest pak and ceramic plate poke me and I'm wide awake! I can't sleep at night. With my knee replaced i really hurt getting up to go piss.
Have you tried hobbling across the bedroom on crutches or using a walker wearing a chest rig with 8 mags, ceramic plte, and an AR hanging around your neck on a single point sling?
I yearn for the days when I was ignorant and slept peacefully with my 12 ga pump loaded with bird shot in the corner of the closet ready to defend my home!!!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

28 rounds in a 30 round mag seated under a closed bolt
with an empty chamber. Safety off. Just rack it, and it's ready to go.
View Quote

????????????????
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:40:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been drinking, what position am I allowed to keep it in?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

????????????????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
28 rounds in a 30 round mag seated under a closed bolt with an empty chamber. Safety off. Just rack it, and it's ready to go.

????????????????

Some people are under the impression that a fully loaded ar mag will kill the spring, I am under the impression that is is the expansion and contraction of the spring that weakens it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been drinking, what position am I allowed to keep it in?
View Quote

Best position after drinking is doggie style.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]
All of my rifles have a loaded mag and empty chambers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You could post a picture of someone stabbed too.  Doesn't make a knife the best choice either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Doolinbody.png

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you end up in a firefight inside your home that requires stacks of mags you seriously need to make some changes to your security measures.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#46]
29 round mag in the magwell, bolt closed, empty chamber safety on.

G19 and Ready to rock on the nightstand and would be my go to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some people are under the impression that a fully loaded ar mag will kill the spring, I am under the impression that is is the expansion and contraction of the spring that weakens it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
28 rounds in a 30 round mag seated under a closed bolt with an empty chamber. Safety off. Just rack it, and it's ready to go.

????????????????

Dad won't load but 18 in a 20 and 26-27 in a 30. Says he had enough FTF issues in the late sixties- early seventies on his vacation to scenic Vietnam to last a lifetime. I don't argue with him about it. I load my pmags to 30 and my GI 20s to 19.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Since it doesn't have fire pin block, so I figure it's not safe to keep a round in the chamber
I have full mag in, empty chamber, closed bolt, safety off
when there's need, rack slide and ready to go
stop, then safety on
when put it away, empty chamber and safety off

by the way, why ar15 can't put safety on unless it's cocked? design issue?
View Quote

Why would you want to put an uncocked rifle on safe?

Keep it loaded & on safe if it's your "go-to AR15."
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top