Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 4:50:47 PM EDT

"Charges likely after recovery from wound

Greg Marsten | Staff writer

CENTURIA – Centuria Police and the Polk County Sheriff’s Department are investigating a shooting incident that occurred just a few hours into the new year in Centuria.

According to the probable cause report filed by the sheriff’s office, the incident occurred shortly after 5 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 1, in the 400 block of Fourth Street in Centuria, when Justin Schill, 33, awoke to a man pounding on his front door. Schill armed himself with a handgun and told the man to stop.

As Schill approached the entry, the man kicked the door in and attempted to assault the resident. That was when Schill fired a single shot at the assailant, later identified as Derek W. Amoroso, 25, Centuria.  

The gunshot struck Amoroso in the inside thigh, and left him bleeding on the kitchen floor.

According to Polk County Sheriff Peter Johnson, that was when Schill retreated to his bedroom, barricaded the door and attempted to call police.

“Apparently his cell phone didn’t work in there, so he unloaded his gun, went out a window and down the street to call the police and meet with them,” Johnson said.

Schill’s call to 911 was received at 5:13 a.m., and when police arrived a short time later, they met Schill outside, with his hands up, where he explained the situation.

Johnson said they found the assailant in the kitchen, bleeding from the single shot. Amoroso was initially treated on the scene by the Centuria First Responders and was taken by St. Croix Valley EMS to St. Croix Regional Medical Center, where he was stabilized and then flown by air ambulance to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

Family members relayed to authorities the next day that Amoroso was in stable condition.

Johnson did not expect any charges to be filed against Schill, and in fact, he praised his handling of the situation.

“In many ways, he did everything right,” Johnson said. “From the information we have, he handled it well, he warned him, armed himself, and when he (Amoroso) kicked the door open, he went for the gun, and he (Schill) didn’t just shoot blindly, he only shot him once, then retreated from the situation for his own safety. He unloaded the gun, called us and met us with his hands up ... he did everything perfect.”

However, Johnson speculated that charges are likely against Amoroso, once he fully recovers and the investigation is complete.

In fact, Amoroso made a court appearance on Monday, Jan. 5, before Judge Jeffery Anderson, where the judge finalized an oral ruling on a pending case for Amoroso involving five felony counts of fourth-degree sexual assault, as a repeater.

Amoroso is charged with the felonies from an alleged series of sexual assaults of a 16-year-old girl last spring. According to the criminal complaint filed by the Polk County District Attorney’s Office, Amoroso is alleged to have gotten the victim drunk several times, earned her trust and allegedly had sex with her as she was passed out.

The victim reported waking up nude beside him, with Amoroso claiming they had sex. He faces up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine for each felony count, with a possible two additional years in prison on the repeater enhancements, meaning he faces the potential of up to nearly 14 years of incarceration and $50,000 in fines, if convicted on all counts.

The “repeater” enhancements came about after Amoroso was convicted in May 2012 in Barron County for a felony drug conviction.

That 2012 conviction was the result of an extensive plea agreement with prosecutors, dismissing a volume of charges, including two charges of felony bail jumping and felony witness intimidation. Also dismissed, but read in for sentencing, were misdemeanor charges of battery, bail jumping, criminal damage to property, manufacturing marijuana and another fourth-degree sexual assault charge that was filed last February, but was also dismissed in the plea agreement.

In that 2012 plea agreement, Barron County Judge Timothy Doyle withheld the bulk of his sentence, imposing two years of probation and a two-month county jail term.

However, his 2014 Polk County charges of sexual assault meant he violated that probation, and he was then sentenced to nine months in jail by Barron County Judge J. Michael Bitney, who replaced Doyle in 2013.

Amoroso’s pending sexual assault charges have a hearing set for Feb. 5.

He is also charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated and other minor charges from an early October traffic stop in Polk County.

Polk County authorities are working with Centuria Police on the investigation of the latest, Jan. 1 shooting incident, but Johnson confirmed that Amoroso was very intoxicated at the time, which means he would have several other bond violations, at least. He also noted that the shooter, Schill, was not under the influence.

“The shooter was sober, all he was doing was sleeping,” Johnson said.

The Centuria shooting after the break-in incident has renewed discussions and clarifications on Wisconsin’s so-called “Castle Doctrine,” which allows people to defend their homes if someone is breaking in. Under the doctrine residents may essentially use any type of weapon to protect themselves in self-defense, as a last resort, within reason.

http://www.the-leader.net/centuria-shooting.html

Not sure I understand the interjection of the last sentence as it did not appear in the distributed paper form of the text. I will be contacting the paper regarding this Un-needed input.

The dinduism was in the paper printed version but not in their online script.

"Amoroso' smother Carla Padovani, has contacted the Leader, disputing several aspects of the incident, and is using social media to give some details on her son's condition.

The bullet fractured his pelvis, ripped through his bladder and severed his intestine,...

Padovani also disputed the portayal of her son as an "Intruder", and implies he was intoxicated, locked out of his home and... No one truly knows what transpired there, only that my son was airlifted & underwent surgery", noting that he was unarmed when he was shot."
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
NM, op edited post.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, is it just me or is there nothing at all in this post about the mother's social media activities?
View Quote

See edited post.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would the residents' intoxication level have anything to do with it? Are you not allowed to defend your home after a few beers?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Now we will pay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
So did he kick in someone's door and as a result he got shot?  That's all I need to know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why would the residents' intoxication level have anything to do with it? Are you not allowed to defend your home after a few beers?
View Quote

I think it's the other way around.  Dude was drunk and locked out of his house.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Needs more dead door punter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now we will pay.
View Quote

No kidding. Someone needs to get that homeowner some marksmanship lessons.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we will pay.

The printed story gives more detail. I will post later but share details in the filed charges.

The assailant busted in door, man arms himself & confronts intruder. Some yelling occurs, drunk assailant attack man, during scuffle man discharges .40 cal goodness into assailant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Padovani also disputed the portayal of her son as an "Intruder", and implies he was intoxicated, locked out of his home ...
View Quote

So as long as I make sure to get drunk and lock my doors, any crime I may commit is totally excusable?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The printed story gives more detail. I will post later but share details in the filed charges.

The assailant busted in door, man arms himself & confronts intruder. Some yelling occurs, drunk assailant attack man, during scuffle man discharges .40 cal goodness into assailant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we will pay.

WI has castle doctrine, no? Legal to drop him as soon as he's in the door.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
A rapist with the last name "Amoroso."   Cruel irony.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]
If someone had just broken into my home, I don't think I'd be unloading my firearm, unless it was at high velocity.

Still, good for the homeowner, and I'm glad no one important got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we will pay.

Circumstantial evidence aside, generally speaking if you can illustrate a reasonable assertion for being in fear of your life. Being as the wound was mostly non-life threatening the statute would have been followed. WI statutes refer to "Lethal" force is not reasonable simply in defense of ones property but is in a situation of reasonable belief of eminent bodily harm or death.

Home owner probably was a little scared & may have panicked.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So as long as I make sure to get drunk and lock my doors, any crime I may commit is totally excusable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Padovani also disputed the portayal of her son as an "Intruder", and implies he was intoxicated, locked out of his home ...

I remember when he was charge of the assault in '14. It was easy to see why the apple didn't fall far from the apple tree. She had the same things to say even though the evidence was very overwhelming.

Dinduism isn't racist, it retards indiscriminately.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad it missed his femoral.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
noting that he was unarmed when he was shot
View Quote

Well, that changes everything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is it that the Liberal-Progressive media believes that being "unarmed" equates to being harmless?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Needs more dead door punter.
View Quote
This. I call "not good enough" shoot.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
His priors and pendings just go to show how badly our criminal justice system is fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the article, the LEO states that the homeowner wasn't intoxicated as part of describing how the homeowner did everything right.

Implying that if the homeowner had alcohol in his system it could be a ding of some sort against the homeowner.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Fractured pelvis.  Nice.  

Maybe THAT will keep him from raping again, since judges just seem to want to let him go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#24]
TL;DR.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
His priors and pendings just go to show how badly our criminal justice system is fucked up.
View Quote

This was my first thought.  Why the fuck wasn't Dindu locked up with all that shit pending/past record?  Damn the justice system is fucked up.

And good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
TL;DR.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes?
View Quote

+ "Mah baby di nt do nuffin- he a good boy- breakin in' ain't no crahm...."

= Major Derpitude

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever .40 round the homeowner was using, it definitely did it's job of stopping the threat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Something very similar happened to me. I woke up one morning at 3 am. to someone pounding on my front door. I went into the kitchen to look out the window to see who was there. It was some dirty looking white guy in a tattered dirty white tshirt. I opened the window a little and asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted to come in. I asked him why. He said he wanted to call somebody on my phone. I did not have a cell at that time as they were fairly new. He said his car was out of gas. I told him to give me the number and I would call for him.
He demanded that I let him in or he would keep beating on my door. At that point I raised my pistol up so he could see it and told him to get the f--k outta here or else. He left and he appeared a little drunk to me. I stayed up for about 10 mins. and by then he was back pounding on the door. I grabbed my phone which one of was in the kitchen and was at the window so he could hear me call the Highway patrol and report a car broken down partially on the roadway. About 10 mins. later, I looked out my bedroom window in time to see them putting him into the back or the patrol car with cuffs on.
I am surprised he did not come back later to get even, but it could have really been bad for him.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#29]
So were they neighbors or something? Because what does dude being locked out of his own house contribute to kicking in the door of someone elses house?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So were they neighbors or something? Because what does dude being locked out of his own house contribute to kicking in the door of someone elses house?
View Quote

Yeah, in the paper it says it was a case of the wrong apartment.

Dude could have just let it be but in his drunken stupor , in violation of his parole, he decided to have at the door and paid a hefty price.

Some decisions have severe consequences.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been locked out a few times but never resorted to kicking in my own door, Mom is a tart!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure you are but the fact he was sober helps his credibility. If he was drunk it could raise doubt as to what may have happened in the house and the justification for the shooting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm sure you are but the fact he was sober helps his credibility. If he was drunk it could raise doubt as to what may have happened in the house and the justification for the shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a slam dunk good shoot.

In the later printed story he gives a statement he has no recollection of the entire event. No testimony he can offer now in contradiction to the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Been locked out a few times but never resorted to kicking in my own door, Mom is a tart!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and looking for a lawsuit...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Circumstantial evidence aside, generally speaking if you can illustrate a reasonable assertion for being in fear of your life. Being as the wound was mostly non-life threatening the statute would have been followed. WI statutes refer to "Lethal" force is not reasonable simply in defense of ones property but is in a situation of reasonable belief of eminent bodily harm or death.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now we will pay.

Therefore NOT castle doctrine.

Shelter in place. Criminals life's matter. Luckily this guy wasn't carrying the good guys tv because then he would be in a world of hurt now. One step away from obligation to flee.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Therefore NOT castle doctrine.

Shelter in place. Criminals life's matter. Luckily this guy wasn't carrying the good guys tv because then he would be in a world of hurt now. One step away from obligation to flee.
View Quote

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/94

Just not the use of "Lethal" force in such circumstances.

That's not to say a good ass whoopin' would be out of the question.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#38]

"Apparently his cell phone didn’t work in there, so he unloaded his gun,
went out a window and down the street to call the police and meet with
them,” Johnson said.

View Quote

He did wut? Unload your weapon and disarm before the authorities make contact, but not before. Thankfully there wasn't a crew working the home.

Other than that, a good turn of events are realized in the end and proof positive that armed citizens are the best equalizer for brigands when it matters most.

On the topic of the lack of a fatal hit, the criminal act was stopped before the drunkard could hurt any one. So I call that a win.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She should be the defendant in one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He did wut? Unload your weapon and disarm before the authorities make contact, but not before. Thankfully there wasn't a crew working the home.

Other than that, a good turn of events are realized in the end and proof positive that armed citizens are the best equalizer for brigands when it matters most.

On the topic of the lack of a fatal hit, the criminal act was stopped before the drunkard could hurt any one. So I call that a win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Apparently his cell phone didn’t work in there, so he unloaded his gun, went out a window and down the street to call the police and meet with them,” Johnson said.

Oh no, it gets way better than that!

In the printed story it says after the shoot the guy went limp. So shooter runs into bedroom, unloads weapon, breaks out window screen & then leaves it on the window sill!

I read that & was thinking to myself , WTF!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In the printed story it says after the shoot the guy went limp. So shooter runs into bedroom, unloads weapon, breaks out window screen & then leaves it on the window sill!

View Quote

Well he just got woke out of a sound sleep and shot a dude… Cut him some slack.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like the only thing the homeowner did wrong was not kill the shit stain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#43]
It speaks volumes about our justice system that he wasn't already locked up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt. Has to be a mind blowing series of events.

I just couldn't understand leaving it behind & accessible to the perp. Granted he had been ventilated but I just don't know I would do it that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top